Entrepreneur takes the responsible route

Published: Tue, July 26, 2011 @ 12:00 a.m.

photo

Brian Bleggi is the owner of “A”-Cab, an Austintown-based taxi company.

By Christine Keeling

ckeeling@vindy.com

AUSTINTOWN

Joe "Doc" Clark spent his Friday night unwinding from a long week of work by enjoying some beers with friends.

When it was time to go home, he wasn’t worried about making the trip.

The Boardman resident used his cellphone, not his car keys, and made a call to an Austintown-based taxi company.

“A”-Cab began operating in March – on St. Patrick’s Day – and offers fares for $2 a pickup plus $2-a-mile fee.

Minimum fares in Austintown are $10 and $15 in neighboring towns. Special rates are available for transportation to work or school.

Owner Brian Bleggi said he started the company because he wanted to offer transportation at a reasonable price.

“Austintown is where everything is at,” Bleggi said. “And a lot of older people need a ride and can’t afford it.”

“It’s not only a cheap way to travel, it’s the responsible way,” Clark said.

Clark has four daughters, and said he believes that the only way you can teach them to be responsible is to act responsibly.

“I tell everyone, ‘Don’t drink and drive,’” said Clark, as he pulled more than 10 “A”-Cab business cards from his pocket and waved them in the air.

Gary Faber, the owner of Styx on Meridian Road, said he posts the cab company’s signs in his bar because he cares about his customers.

“My customers are my friends. I don’t want to see them get hurt or a DUI,” Faber added.

As of mid-July, Austintown Township police issued 37 citations for operating a vehicle under the influence. The Ohio State Patrol issued 276 in Mahoning County.

Clark said he received a OVI charge 10 years ago.

“I could take a cab every time I go out and never spend as much as I spent on that DUI,” he said.

Going out for a night on the town isn’t the only reason people are using the taxi company.

Faris Aljohani, 19, has been in Youngstown for six weeks and uses the company’s service seven days a week to travel to Youngstown State University, the movies and McDonald’s.

“He’s never failed us,” Aljohani said of Bleggi and his company. “When I call him, he is there.”

“A”-Cab operates at least two cars 24 hours day. A minivan is being added to the fleet this week to accommodate parties up to seven, Bleggi said.

He also warned travelers to make sure whatever taxi service they choose is one that carries taxi insurance.

“If they don’t have a taxi sign on the top or don’t say taxi or cab anywhere on the car, be wary,” he said.

Comments

1Not_Gilligans_Ginger(125 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Seriously? THIS man gets "free advertising" from the Vindy? A convicted felon? (Think back a few years... Theft ring, stealing lawn tractors, etc. from businesses?) Of course he's an entrepreneur! Who would hire him? Look up his record on http://courts.mahoningcountyoh.gov/ Oh, and take notice that his son has also taken the entrepreneurial route... drug trafficking... What a striking suburban family this is!

2gingerspice(114 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Come on "Not_Gilligans_Ginger", sin is sin! Give the man credit for trying to redeem himself. You may not have liked what he did in his past, but he's trying to make an honest living. None of us are "perfect" and just because we don't have a record doesn't mean we're not breaking the law.We just haven't been caught! Speeding, lying, road rage, teaching our children to hate another because of their religion, color, nationality,etc., all SINS! Disrespecting those in charge of us, sinning! Get my point? We all have a "unclean slate" according to THE MASTER!

3author50(1121 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I have to agree with Not Gilligan - this guy is pure scum and now he makes the front page of the paper.

4hmm(178 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

N G G . All I can say about your comments are your an idiot ... good luck A-Cab. And hope your business keeps growing.

5Fred(130 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

It would be interesting to see where Brian Bleggi got the money to start the cab company.

6Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Time heals all . . ..

7redvert(2042 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

We would think that the Vindy would do a little background investigation after the gentleman states that he had a OVI charge in the past. The first thing I would think was, "wonder what else is in his background?"

Of course that is just me, I am not a experienced journalist!!!

8LargeCar(6 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I would say that Bleggi has legitimate backing from legitimate sources who believe in his "drive", if you will, to succeed and grow something of worth and value. I wish Mr. Bleggi all the best in success. Regardless of his past, like anyone else, he deserves whatever future he crafts for himself. Congratulations for overcoming your personal demons and presenting a better example for your daughters. Shame on the rest of all the mopes who don't believe!

9Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I hope he does well. Why would anyone not want to see someone turn their life around?The same folks would complain if the guy was on the same wrong path.

10pacer(68 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

NGG, as you are pointing the finger at Bleggi, there are four fingers pointing at you. Think about it. Check your lilfe before trying to tear down others.

11Not_Gilligans_Ginger(125 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

@ hmm... My comments make me an idiot? It makes no difference what YOU think of me because you are nothing to me. Read on, if someone is available to decipher the words for you...
"Three men were named ringleaders and face RICO charges under the Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act: Bobby Mock, 39, now in the Mahoning County Jail; Brian Bleggi, 41, Black Oak Lane, Austintown; and Timothy Marino, 41, Ridge Road, Cortland.
...

The indictment claims members of the crime ring broke into several businesses in the area during the summer of 2007, stealing cash; Women, Infant and Children benefits; and everything from motorcycles to horse trailers to cars and gas grills. Targeted businesses include Marino’s Italian Cafe, Grand Buffet, Home Depot in Howland, Leonard’s Truck and Trailer and King Kar Motors." From TribTODAY.com, March 21, 2008.

@ pacer... Are you going to say the same thing to the above businesses affected by his actions and the actions of his compadres? How do you know that my life wasn't affected in some way by this crime? You don't, so MYOB. When you're pointing the finger at me for expressing my opinion (which I'm guessing you think is the wrong, although you had no problem expressing YOUR opinion when it came to ME), there are four fingers pointing at YOU!
TOUCHE`!

12Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Just some good old boys . . ..

Charges in the indictment included breaking and entering, theft, receiving stolen property, complicity to breaking and entering, illegal use of food stamps, insurance fraud, obstructing justice and engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity (RICO). RICO stands for racketeer influenced and corrupt organization.

Gains said the ringleaders were Bobby Joe Mock, 39, of Mahoning County Jail, who is charged with breaking and entering, thefts, receiving stolen property and RICO; Brian Bleggi, 41, of Black Oak Lane, breaking and entering, thefts, receiving stolen property and RICO; and Timothy Marino, 41, of Ridge Road, Cortland; receiving stolen property and RICO.

Others charged are:

Brian Simione, 34, of Southern Boulevard, breaking and entering, theft, receiving stolen property and RICO.

Laura Alli, 36, of Nashua Drive, breaking and entering, theft and RICO.

Albert Alli, 32, of Nashua Drive, breaking and entering, theft and RICO.

Anthony Petrello, 41, of Canfield Road, breaking and entering, theft and RICO.

Mark Wells, 41, of Gladstone Road, North Jackson, receiving stolen property, and obstruction of justice (by scrapping a vehicle).

Danyelle Stanley, 32, of Louise Rita Court, complicity to breaking and entering by allegedly helping Mock commit a breaking and entering.

Gennaro Bellard, 42, of Roosevelt Drive, breaking and entering and theft (10 motorcycles from Gollan Motorcycle Sales and Service in Youngstown on Jan. 10, 2006).

Michael Cummings, 40, of Harrow Lane, insurance fraud for a fraudulent accident claim.

Joseph DeMichael, 39, of Sandalwood Lane, breaking and entering and theft of motorcycles and a trailer from Blake’s Mini-Storage in Austintown.

Richard Shaffer, 50, of Salt Springs Road, Mineral Ridge, receiving stolen property (two commercial mowers from New Holland, Canfield).

David Thistlewaite, 35, of Arthur Street, Canfield, 10 counts of receiving stolen property (motorcycles).

Thomas Turney, 52, of Shelby Road, one count of receiving stolen property (a motorcycle).

13Not_Gilligans_Ginger(125 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

@ LargeCar... Follow the story! It was Joe "Doc" Clark who is setting the example for his daughters, (apparently this lesson is not about refraining from drinking to excess, but instead to call a cab when you get schnockered) not Bleggi. You may want to brush up on your reading comprehension. Like I said in my first posting, Bleggi's SON has followed in his father's footsteps and has also become an entrepreneur. I guess daddy taught junior well!

14leftyompton4life(79 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

This guy had felon doucheco*k written all over him the day he stepped foot in my old place of business. Aside of Jim Landis, he is one of the most annoying, loudest, aggressive people I have ever had the displeasure of waiting on. He would attempt to hit on my co-workers but when you smell like booze and urine and life's failure, you don't stand much of a chance.

Lucky for me I have not had any run ins with him since leaving town. What I do like though is that the guy is actually attempting to do something with his life. I hope he sticks with it and makes a good name for himself as well as a solid career. I hope he has turned his life around and will actually do more harm then good...

15HeadLuberInCharge(2 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

"A" Cab is doing the community an important public service. This area is probably ( I don't know for sure) DUI/OVI capital of the U.S.. NGG should relize that everyone makes mistakes, and if we don't how would we ever learn from those mistakes. Yes, Mr. Bleggi has been in trouble and has also paid his debt to society. Now he has learned that making an honest living is much wiser than the other route. I know Brian personally and he is a straight forward, hard working, honest man that deserves a second chance. Good luck A-Cab and best wishes.