Youngstown forum speakers warn of dangers of Social Security cuts

Published: Sun, July 24, 2011 @ 8:15 p.m.

By SEAN BARRON

news@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

More than $150,000 was spent recently on a traffic light in upstate New York, and government funding was used for a cotton mill in Brazil.

Those are just two of what Carolyn Williams says are many examples of wasteful government spending that could be better used to preserve and protect Social Security.

“Social Security is not an entitlement; it is a promise to the American people who have paid into the system,” Williams, of Youngstown, told an audience of about 200 community organizers, senior citizens, residents, elected officials and others who attended today’s town-hall meeting with U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown at United Baptist Church, 528 Lincoln Ave.

“Proposed cuts will force recipients to pay higher insurance premiums and co-pays, and deny us money for essentials like prescription drugs and groceries.”

Other elected officials who spoke were U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan of Niles, D-17th, and state Sen. Capri Cafaro of Liberty, D-32nd. State Sen. Robert F. Hagan of Youngstown, D-60th, was unable to attend because of another commitment.

Sponsoring the 90-minute gathering were the Mahoning Valley Organizing Collaborative in partnership with the Service Employees International Union’s Fight for a Fair Economy Campaign, as well as the Ohio Organizing Collaborative and Union Baptist.

Read the full story Monday in The Vindicator and on Vindy.com.

Comments

1TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 2 years, 12 months ago

So, if I read this correctly, it was a waste of taxpayers money to put up a new street light in upstate New York for $150,000, but its not a waste of money to put up a New East High School for $30 Million-Dollars in a $hith0le of a location, or a new $2.5 Million-dollar public library on Market street next to convenience store.

2repeaters(193 comments)posted 2 years, 12 months ago

Ah, you be right!!

3Ytownnative(1010 comments)posted 2 years, 12 months ago

Its also not a waste of money to give trillions of dollars so the billionaires and millionaires dont have to live like most of the country

4cambridge(2958 comments)posted 2 years, 12 months ago

This is why the republican party feels the need to make cuts in social security and medicare. It comes down to priorities.

5Ytownnative(1010 comments)posted 2 years, 12 months ago

It's those rich republican members of congress oh wait the top ten wealthiest are
#1 John Kerry (D)
#2 Darel Issa (R)
#3 Jane Harman (D)
#4 Jay Rockefeller (D)
#5 Michael McCaul (R)
#6 Mark Warner (D)
#7 Jared polis (D)
#8 Vern Buchanen (R)
#9 Frank Launtenburg (D)
#10 Diane Feinstein (D)

70% of the richest members of congress are democrats. Do you really think any of them really care about the working class?? Or the country? I bet they care if they fall of the above list tho

6TylerDurden(367 comments)posted 2 years, 12 months ago

Social Security is partly entitlement and partly promise. There are certainly people receiving some form who have never paid into it.

Nice post YTown Native.

7VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 12 months ago

Excellent post by YTown native..
Why some people feel the richest are Republicans and overlook the fact that there are very rich Democrats and liberal Hollywood types tells me people only want to see and read whatever they want to back their cause.

Social Security is in dire straights for several reasons, but the highlites include government raiding of our funds we invested for our future. One other reason is all the additional programs added to the Social Security Administration by liberals who knew there would not be enough funds to pay for all of them. This alone is one of the biggest ponzi schemes dreamed up by our liberal politicians to encourage votes in November. And now we are all suffering for it.

8lilgandee(103 comments)posted 2 years, 12 months ago

Tyler and Ytown Native you are so right. My sister and mother get Social Security but one has paid in and the other has not. My mom gets less than her, howis that right? She is on it for being bi-polar-has a house, new car and 7/8 of whats in her home is brand new. Sane enough to buy all that stuff but not sane enough to work?She gets child support and food stamps, plus her daughter has behavior problems and receives SSI also. Her non putting in at $600 a month times 12 months times 28 years so far is 201,600. Add 3 other people like her that over half a billion dollars. They get there checks with no drug testing, working or monitoring but most of all no programs to help them get off SSI and function in our society. $150,000 for a street light, and the money used to build schools, buy parts and fly all over the continents adds up, I know when I write my grocery list and have to add the things I forgot but a buck here,$ 2 there,$ .50 and on then your groceries are not $50.00 but $70.00. Gotta start somewhere and worry about paying those who worked for their retirement first, then the welfare SSI. Get our jobs back here and we may have a fighting chance....if a millionaire gave a million people a dollar he'd be broke like us, so big government stop the handouts and pay fair market and overhaul welfare and SSI for those on it who have not put in-have them work for their money in some capacity. I am definitely not talking about those with special needs but able bodied people.

9NBees(35 comments)posted 2 years, 12 months ago

Yeah, lilgandee points out something that most people do not realize... SSI is like welfare, SSDI is the social security disability that people who work pay into just in case they are disabled before retirement age. Still, it blows my mind that the people in her example can afford homes, new cars, and a house full of brand new stuff. I made 70K a year before I was disabled and straight up... I exhausted my savings and lost my home and everything between the medical bills and a year of no income before I was approved for SSDI and then I had to wait 2 years to be eligible for Medicare. I'm definately NOT living grand in a rinky dinky apt here on the South side of Youngstown. I could not afford a car if I were able to drive, but hey... I can pass a drug test. IMHO, there are some things that need fixed... I think medicare is being ripped off by medical providers and/or insurance companies providing Part C. One of the first things I noticed when my Medicare kicked in was a major jump in fees... I noticed because I paid cash for doc visits for 3 years. I was shocked. An ordinary doc visit should not cost almost $200. It kind of reminds me of those $200 hammers only this time, the product sold to the government is medical care.

10bmanresident(597 comments)posted 2 years, 12 months ago

Youngstown should be worried about any cuts in Government spending since most of the population of Youngstown is bottom feeder scum driving Escalades and collecting welfare. I pay taxes and dont get a dime from the govt so i say, cut it all!! maybe the citizens of the valley would go and get productive jobs and actually contribute, o wait. they would rather steal from us in Boardman. Scum.