Owners suspect poisoning in deaths of 3 dogs in Campbell

Published: Thu, July 14, 2011 @ 12:05 a.m.

By jeanne starmack

starmack@vindy.com

CAMPBELL

Three dogs have died within days of one another in a city neighborhood, and their owners suspect their pets were poisoned.

City police say they are asking Animal Charity’s humane agent to investigate.

“They were all family pets that were tied in their own yards,” said Mary Mahr, who lives at 159 Bright Ave.

Mahr said her 6-month-old pit bull terrier, Milton, died Saturday.

She said they found the dog in the yard around 11:30 a.m. “almost dead.”

He died about an hour- and-a-half later, she said.

“It’s terrible,” she said. “I’m glad my kids weren’t here for the weekend.”

Mahr said Milton had egg yolk on his mouth, and she suspects someone gave him eggs laced with rat poison.

Mahr’s nephew, Jacob Black, who lives on Tenney Avenue not far from where Mahr lives, said his 2-year-old pit bull, Gucci, died Sunday.

Black said he and his wife were gone for the weekend, and a friend was caring for the dog, which was tied outside.

He said that when he left Friday, his dog was fine.

He said that by Sunday, the dog was sick and not eating, though his bowl was full of food.

“I imagine it happened Saturday night,” he said.

Shelly Matos, who lives at 209 Reed Ave., said her family’s 9-year-old Akita, Dakota, died suddenly July 1. The dog had been healthy.

She said her son went to feed the dog and found him dead.

None of the dogs that died was examined by a veterinarian. Matos said she talked to her vet, and the vet suspects rat poison.

Comments

1marianne(66 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

All of these dogs were TIED in their backyards. One dog was left alone for the week-end with someone just coming to check on the dog. Who leaves their dog tied alone in the yard, no way to defend themself and in the hot weather? People do not know how to protect their pets. These dogs were left alone to be poisoned!

2nuganuech(46 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Marianne. It was around 90 degrees on the weekend, the dogs should have never been tied outside. The owners are partially responsible. If there are behavior issues then there is crate training or other methods for dealing with the problem. At least these poor dogs are free of a miserable life with irresponsible owners.

3luvsdogs(69 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

So very sorry for your losses. I sure do hope the humane agent checks on those in the area already convicted of animal abuse. One in particular comes to mind. Tolerance of violent crimes against animals & misdemeanor penalties only encourage & increase its continuance.

4lilgandee(103 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Sorry for your loss. My neighbor put rat poison out without informing us, which would have been the right thing to do. Their home had a toddler and I had 2 at the time and they played together and my dog would go over there as well. (We lived where potato fields used to be, and lots of field mice) One day the kids "moved" the rat poison and Sweet Pea ate some and got sick and the vet had her PTS. It is a horrible way to die, and the owners are NOT responsible for their deaths only the jerk killing peoples pets. The fact is someone trespassed on their property and hurt their pets. I am sorry for your loss and I pray that this person stops doing harm.

5mycomment(3 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

first of all, irresponsible owners would'nt have even had the dogs tied up...they would be roaming the neighborhood..1 owner left their dog unattended for the weekend other than someone coming to check up on it..that I don't agree with. The other animals were tied out. I own a dog and I tied my dog out at times over the weekend to go to the bathroom, that sure doesn't mean that my dog should be poisoned and better off dead than to let me let him out to do his business. You don't know if the puppy was always left out on a chain or was out to do its business...you ASS-UME. According to you guys whoever has a dog and ties them out at all is irresponsible owners. The fact is theres a sick person out there walking around poisoning animals.

6StrykersMom(2 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

@ MARGETIL... I truly hope your "typical pitt-trash dog owners" comment wasn't to suggest that a) Pit Bulls are trash or b) people who have "Pit Bulls" are trash. If it was, any and all credibility you may have had just went out the window. I see you are a frequent commenter on Vindy (45 thus far)... might I suggest you sit on your hands the next time you feel the need to type out your thoughts.