Owners suspect poisoning in deaths of 3 dogs in Campbell

By jeanne starmack



Three dogs have died within days of one another in a city neighborhood, and their owners suspect their pets were poisoned.

City police say they are asking Animal Charity’s humane agent to investigate.

“They were all family pets that were tied in their own yards,” said Mary Mahr, who lives at 159 Bright Ave.

Mahr said her 6-month-old pit bull terrier, Milton, died Saturday.

She said they found the dog in the yard around 11:30 a.m. “almost dead.”

He died about an hour- and-a-half later, she said.

“It’s terrible,” she said. “I’m glad my kids weren’t here for the weekend.”

Mahr said Milton had egg yolk on his mouth, and she suspects someone gave him eggs laced with rat poison.

Mahr’s nephew, Jacob Black, who lives on Tenney Avenue not far from where Mahr lives, said his 2-year-old pit bull, Gucci, died Sunday.

Black said he and his wife were gone for the weekend, and a friend was caring for the dog, which was tied outside.

He said that when he left Friday, his dog was fine.

He said that by Sunday, the dog was sick and not eating, though his bowl was full of food.

“I imagine it happened Saturday night,” he said.

Shelly Matos, who lives at 209 Reed Ave., said her family’s 9-year-old Akita, Dakota, died suddenly July 1. The dog had been healthy.

She said her son went to feed the dog and found him dead.

None of the dogs that died was examined by a veterinarian. Matos said she talked to her vet, and the vet suspects rat poison.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.