Coitsville can’t leave Youngstown schools

Published: Fri, July 8, 2011 @ 12:08 a.m.

By Denise Dick

denise_dick@vindy.com

youngstowN

An appeals court has ruled that Coitsville can’t break away from the city school district.

The recent ruling from the 10th District Court of Appeals is the latest in a long-running attempt by the group, Concerned Citizens for Quality Education to leave the Youngstown district, with the area north of U.S. Route 422 transferred to the Hubbard school district and the portion south of Route 422 transferred to the Lowellville district.

There’s no word on whether Concerned Citizens for Quality Education will continue to pursue the case.

Faith Adsit, who leads the group, said it would issue a statement in response to the ruling in the coming days.

Lock P. Beachum Sr., Youngstown school board president, said the decision is good news for the school district.

“I think it should be completely settled now,” he said. “I don’t know whether [the citizens group] will appeal.”

The citizens group sought the transfer, contending it would benefit the 63 school-age children living in the township by allowing them to attend either Hubbard or Lowellville schools, both of which were rated excellent by the state. Youngstown was in academic watch when the request was filed in 2008 but has since dropped into academic emergency.

Many of those students attended those two school districts using open enrollment.

It was the fourth time since the early 1970s that the group sought to separate from the Youngstown school system.

The Youngstown district argued against the transfer, and in 2009, the state school board denied the transfers.

The citizens’ group appealed that decision in Franklin County Common Pleas Court where a judge reversed the state board’s decision and allowed the transfer.

The Youngstown board and Ohio Department of Education appealed that decision.

The appeals court, with one judge dissenting, found that the trial court abused it discretion by rejecting the state board’s consideration of factors weighing against the proposed transfers, “including racial isolation and financial harm to the Youngstown district,” the ruling says.

At the time, the city school district expected to lose about $145,000 annually if the transfers were approved, less than 1 percent of its total annual budget.

Regarding the racial isolation argument, testimony “established that the percentage of minority students in the Youngstown district would increase from 80.9 percent to 81.6 percent were the transfers approved, but the trial court found that increase insignificant,” the ruling says.

It says that in contrast to Youngstown’s high percentage of minority students, the Hubbard and Lowellville school districts have minority student populations of 7 percent and 1 percent, respectively. “As a whole, the Coitsville territory has a 13 percent minority student population,” it says.

The trial court said there was no evidence that the Coitsville students contribute to racial diversity in the Youngstown district. But the appeals court concluded that the trial court abused its discretion by disregarding the evidence of fiscal harm to the Youngstown district and racial-isolation implications as a result of the proposed transfers.

Comments

1jgm820(115 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Coitsville has always been a very rural community - absolutely nothing city about it. I hope they are allowed to secede from the city schools. My parents moved us out Coitsville and quite a bit of land to avoid the city schools in 1974 - we moved 1 mile into the Hubbard school district limits.

Keep up the fight. There is a lot of land that people would develop if they weren't forced to attend the city schools. As to the lack of sewers and water - there is quite a lot of Hubbard Twp (and Lowellville, I suspect) without those amenities.

2lumper(281 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

its racism alright ! caucasian people have no rights.

3coolnumbers(63 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Take the voucher and run to another district. If the voucher is not available then it is lawsuit time. Kids should not have to be forced into a failed school system.

4Woody(451 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard. Speechless.

5mike10(84 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I have always heard that a child's education was number one. (during tax time) What I read is money is #1, racial concerns are #2, and a child's quality education is #3. I would guess that the Youngstown School Board and Superintendent have no idea where Coitsville is nor could careless if there was no money involved.
What a shame children have to endure a failure of a school system for greed.

6mrblue(973 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I would not want my children or grand children to attend a failing school system like Youngstown has. A decision that hurts the students and forces them to attend schools that are amoung the WORST in the state. It is strictly a money decision and nothing else.

7harpercm(9 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Let me start with, I grew up in Coitsville from 1978 to 1990. My parents still live there. My sister and I attended Holy Trinity school and then Ursuline. Our bus was full. Yes, we dropped Coitsville kids off at East...less than 5 from a full bus. I suspect that would be the same percentage today of Coitsville residents that would send their children to Youngstown schools.
Vouchers didn't exist then, but DO IT!
Where is the outrage in support of these parents wanting their children in a better school. People on this message board were up in arms when that Ohio mother BROKE THE LAW and put her children in a better school than where she lived. Where are the people that supported her?? Why aren't they outraged and supporting Coitsville?The citizens of Coitsville are taking the right path in the court system to get their children into a better schools.

8James_S(268 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

The government's Iron Fist, that our "elected" officials promote, is slammed on the people of Coitsville.

9Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

“including racial isolation and financial harm to the Youngstown district,”

The Youngstown political machine has clout . Too bad that they can't make Youngstown respectable once again .

10YtownParent(290 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Our clout (aka "cash") is exactly what the political machine has. It is now way past time to vote Lock P. Beachum Sr. off the board, as well as everyone else spent, most likely more than would be lost if the students moved, on this case. How much did this legal case, and the appeals, cost the city schools, dear vindicator editors?

11Not_Gilligans_Ginger(128 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Stan... Can you imagine what an immense undertaking it would be to make Youngstown respectable again? In the not too distant past I taught city school children. Let me just say that it only takes one or two students in a class, who are incorrigible, to rob the rest of the students of their education. Some of my experiences include kindergarteners calling each other mother f****s, an eight grade boy waving a gun around on the school grounds, a seventh grade girl telling the male principal to get his f****g hands off of her (this was after a physical altercation w/ another student), and I took a 5th grade boy down to the ground to cover him with my own body because a 5th grade girl was beating on him. My point is that learning respect begins at home, but it's not happening in a growing number of homes in Youngstown.
The demise of public education began when the justice system began allowing frivolous lawsuits to enter the courtrooms, and the media as well for sensationalizing these cases. I don't know how many times I heard "My parents will just sue the school!" Obviously these students heard negative comments coming from their parents and/or the media pertaining to the schools and know that their parents could, in fact, sue the school system because it has been done elsewhere and precedents have been set.
If I lived in Coitsville I wouldn't want to send my son to a city school either. I live in the city and sent him to a Catholic grade school where I now work. I think that says a lot right there!