Pavlik: ‘I want a stoppage’
By Joe Scalzo
Former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik was battling a slight headache for his first weigh-in as a promoter on Thursday.
“A little headache ain’t too bad,” said Pavlik, who recently co-founded “Ghost Promotions” with his trainer, Jack Loew. “It’s better than getting hit in the head. That’s the real headache.”
Tonight’s “Real Deal” boxing show — the first for Ghost Promotions — is the start of a busy stretch for Pavlik, who will meet 36-year-old Darryl Cunningham on Aug. 6 in a tune-up bout at the Covelli Centre.
“He’s going to work me,” said Pavlik, who felt he needed another bout before fighting Lucian Bute for the IBF super middleweight title in November. “Daryll’s been in with some good fighters and he’s beat some guys he wasn’t supposed to beat.
“He’s got a good record, he can fight and he’s gonna help me get ready for another southpaw in Bute.”
Pavlik (36-2, 32 KOs) showed some rust in his 10-round majority decision victory over Alfonso Lopez in May, a bout that followed a 13-month layoff.
Although Pavlik felt he got stronger as the bout went on, he wasn’t satisfied with his performance.
Cunningham (23-2, 10 KOs), a Detroit native, has never been knocked out and hasn’t lost since 2007. Yet when Pavlik was asked what he’d like to see from himself, he said “a stoppage in four or five rounds.”
“If not a stoppage, then a lot more convincing win than my last fight,” he said. “I just want to look good, be sharp, have my timing back and put a win together the right way. That’s my hope.”
Pavlik, who looked fitter than he has before several of his previous fights, said he has no plans to lift weights and wants to get back to doing a lot of the natural strength exercises he did earlier in his career.
“Like the Ironman Warehouse,” he said, referring to the downtown gym known for tossing tires and swinging sledgehammers. “I’m not going to touch any weights.
“We’ll get strong that way.”