facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -

 

« News Home

Computer causes West Side fire



Published: Fri, July 1, 2011 @ 8:21 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — An old computer left too close to a desk started a house fire at 108 South Hazelwood Avenue on the West Side Friday morning that caused $25,000 damage.

The woman living there and two people who had come to visit were away from the house at the time the fire started, Batallion Chief Rich Russo said.

The woman had hooked up a new computer on Thursday and left the old tower turned on under a desk with the fan side of the computer up against the desk, Russo said.

The computer apparently ignited the varnish on the desk, which burned two rooms of the house and caused extensive smoke damage.

A passerby called 911 after seeing smoke and fire coming out a window.

The woman’s insurance company provided the woman and her guests with temporary housing, Russo said.


Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

That computer must of had some real serious issues . I never heard of one getting that hot up until now .

Suggest removal:

2Brit(18 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I know about computers. I build them. The fire dept better check this out really good. It is unlikely that this happened. I smell fraud.

Suggest removal:

3Brit(18 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

In cases where computers catch fire it is usually from some kind of flaw. The person who owned it should look into the model number and see if the company that made it has any recalls on it for overheating. There has been times in the past ten years where power adapter on certain laptop computers over heated and could catch fire. Maybe there were some cases where that particular computer model was recalled, or connected with problems. That is sad that they had that much damage. Hope they find out the problem and get compensated.

Suggest removal:

4cupcake1(1 comment)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Just because you never heard of this before doesn't automatically mean fraud. Maybe the fire department needs to further investigate, but it wasn't fraud.

Suggest removal:

5Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Definitely not the computer.

Suggest removal:


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport