Automated toll booth delays has GM workers rerouting

Published: Tue, January 18, 2011 @ 12:09 a.m.

photo

Problems at this automated toll booth at the Ohio Turnpike exit near the General Motors complex in Lordstown have some employees taking a different route to and from work at the plant. The lane at which a toll collector had been stationed was closed.

By Elise Franco

efranco@vindy.com

LORDSTOWN

Issues with the automated toll booth at the exit near General Motors has some plant workers changing direction.

David Green, president of United Auto Workers Local 1714, said over the past two weeks he and about a dozen other workers have experienced the problem first-hand.

The booth in question is at Interchange 216, which exits east to Hallock-Young Road in Lordstown. Green said for the past two weeks he’s had issues trying to get through the automated booth.

He said he’s had trouble getting the gate to go up once his money is inserted into the machine.

“I’ve definitely had some issues of my own,” Green said. “About a dozen other guys have said they’ve had issues too.”

Green said the delay has caused him to take another route to the plant.

“I’ve stopped going that way,” he said. “I’ve actually started going the long way just to avoid getting stuck there.”

Jim Graham, president of UAW Local 1112, said the issue was recently brought to his attention as well.

“Basically a couple of my retirees have experienced some delays at the toll booth,” Graham said.

Lauren Hakos, Ohio Turnpike Commission spokeswoman, said Interchange 216 has been automated since summer 2010. Ohio currently has 10 automated toll booths.

She said the collector was taken away from the Lordstown booth about two weeks ago, when Green said he first began to notice issues.

Hakos said no complaints have come in about the booth, and the elimination of a collector at the location is not likely related.

“Machines are monitored from an adjacent interchange,” she said. “I’m not aware that any of our customers have had any significant problems.”

Green said, however, that he has called the Turnpike Commission to report the problem and has encouraged others to phone in as well.

“If you go through [the booth] and tell them you’re having problems they’ll give you a slip of paper with a number to call,” he said.

Hakos said method of payment at the booths could cause delays if money is inserted improperly or in the wrong amount. She said motorists insert their ticket and can pay using EZ-Pass, credit card or cash.

“If someone has any trouble with that they can press a button and someone will walk them through it,” she said.

Hakos said it’s hard to address any potential issues unless she knows exactly what the problem is.

“They should call us and tell us specifically what the problem is so we can address it,” she said. “If there’s a glitch in the system, and we’re made aware of it, we’ll send a technician out.”

Hakos said anyone having trouble at an automated toll booth should immediately contact the Ohio Turnpike Commission at (440) 234-2081, ext. 1171 or 1172.

Comments

1CrestwoodRocks(107 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Just take I-76 to the Bailey Road exit. Simple

2timOthy(802 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Do we have to give extra gas money now ! After supporting THEIR PENSIONS .

3Thinker(15 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Two words: EZ PASS.

4ValleyNative(174 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

I got EZ Pass a month ago and it has been a blessing. Especially on 80 East at the 234 exit. It can save up to 2 minutes, I estimate.

5Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Constructor nasty , nasty . Sounds like you could not get a job out there .Maybe you could not fill out the employment form. If you look into it maybe they have a course on that

6DJ0(72 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

...why are retirees going to a GM plant anyway? I've been an IPass subscriber since 2000, the only way to go, from IL to NY.... at least.....

7palbubba(671 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Am I the only one that is struck by the fact that getting rid of a union worker brings about complaints from union officials? Are there no complaints from someone other than a GM employee or retiree? HUMMMM JUST SAYING

8redvert(2099 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Good point palbubba, what a coincidence!!!

9jethead11(139 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Union bosses have trouble using efficient automation.

Since UAW members have the rest of us paying for all of their needs, did anyone ask him if he was waiting for someone else to come along and pay the toll for him. That would explain the gate not going up.

10JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

File a grievance and go on strike!

11Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow there are alot who could not get a job out there .

12JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

I can't speak for the others, but I don't need one and wouldn't want to work in that environment.

13jethead11(139 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Freeatlast, it is true I could not get a job there. First, I live in Atlanta, and the commute would suck (especially with toll booths that don't work).

Second, I am not related to a GM employee, which is a major qualification to build cars.

Third, I would never join the UAW under any circumstance. Again, another major qualification to work at GM.

Fourth, I am publicly anti-big labor. Not anti-union in all cases, but against the corrupt political machine that is organized labor in 2011. Try getting a job at a closed shop with that opinion.

Fifth, let's just say the pay would be less than I am making now.

And finally, I probably could not find a parking spot for my non-UAW American made (in South Carolina) BMW in their parking lot.

14NilesOhio(759 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

It's sad to see more people being automated out of jobs. Many of them weren't the friendliest of people, but at least it was a human being. Even for low volume exits, there should always be at least one non-automated lane available.

I won't use the automated stations at The Home Depot and Lowe's, and I can now see that I won't be using this exit from the turnpike. That's my personal conviction. It may not mean much in the big scheme of things, but it matters to me.

15walter_sobchak(1977 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

@palbubba,

You are not alone. That was my first thought when I read this this morning. Maybe the UAW should have an in-service day to tach these knuckleheads the proper way to use these automated toll booths. In any event, since you save money on tolls with EZ-Pass, why wouldn't you use it? It is a great tool.

@Freeatlast,

16JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

"I would not want a job in Lordstown. First, I am an engineer and a professional with a career. I would have to take a pay cut. Second, I would not want to work for GM as it is one of the worst run corpaorations in this country. Third, I would never be a member of a labor union. I can think for myself and I would NEVER pay any to work! They pay me. It is time for Ohio to abandon this union/big labor madness and become a right-to-work state."

Same here and well said Walter! My wife is a school teacher and she wishes Ohio was a right-to-work state (ie., no more union dues and BS)

17faith(200 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

The UAW stands with all labor. If you met one @$$ hole that does not make the organization bad. There are some jerks at my church but I still go. As for these automated machines, they $u(k. I will not use them at Giant Eagle, Home Depo, or anyplace. This is just another way to eliminate jobs, good paying jobs when there are 5 people looking for every one job.
The UAW haters feel this way because of the political action side of labor. Don't worry, the UAW is not going away, we will continue to lobby for human rights for ALL workers, not only UAW not only UNION but ALL workers. Its part of UAW history and will be part of UAW future.

18JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

"lobby for human rights"

lol

19jethead11(139 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

In responce to Faith...

Will the UAW fight for the right of a worker to not be forced to join a union as a requirement of employment? Think about that. You are required to pay a third party to get a job, no matter how qualified you are for it. And you have to keep paying them as long as you work there, or until you can convince enough people to decertify them. You don't think that may be a workers' rights violation? The big unions don't care about workers' rights. Why is this not completely obvious to everyone?

On your other point, why are UAW workers shouldering the brunt of looking out for all workers' rights? Do they really want their money going to help everyone? Come on. The UAW takes, not gives.

In reality, the UAW is not quite as altruistic as you make them out to be.

20JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

The only workers that Unions help protect are the bad ones.

21faith(200 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Jethead, the UAW gives and not takes. Where do you think retirement benifits came from? Where did safe working conditions come from? Wages, healthcare, these are issues that the UAW has won gains in which overflowed into all other sectors of the workforce. This built the middle class in America. The workers at Honda make their wages based on UAW wages.

You should read the first amendment, "Freedom of assembly".

If every open job in the US was filled today, there would still be more than 11 million jobless workers. So when jobs go away, like these turnpike jobs, the UAW is saying "we don't like it". Those pike workers are not UAW, and the UAW does not have the power to bring those jobs back, but if every person that sees this article calls and complains, maybe that's one more good job where workers are paying taxes.

22ValleyNative(174 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

The automated at Giant Eagle often break down. I would say there's a 35-40% chance each time that something will set off the "Help" light. Oh well. Also, I once used the self-checkout at the Bored-man Wal-Mart. Boy, was that an experience. What a piece of garbage. I will never forget that the "Help" light went off and the employee in charge of self-checkout walked over to tell me how to properly scan an item. She picked it up, acted like she would can it, and then handed it back. I just shook my head. It's what I get for going to Wal-Mart. Adieu, Bored-man

23redvert(2099 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

If you frequently use a toll road, why would you not get a EZ Pass?

IT SAVES YOU MONEY DUMMY!!! DAAAHHH

24faith(200 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

How much of my tax dollars does the ezpass cost in unemployment comp. DAAAHAAA

25cambridge(3096 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

jethead....Unions do not force anyone to join them. If you chose to work for a company at a position that employees union workers the company requires you to be a member of that union.

If a person doesn't want to belong to a union they shouldn't apply for a job with a company that uses union labor.

I've seen thousands of posts on this board from people that hate unions and the people that belong to them but I've never seen an explanation about what a union has done to them personally to cause all the hate.

I also have never seen any post on this board from anyone in any union that badmouths anyone for not belonging to a union. If you don't want to belong that's fine but it's a free country and if someone wants to join a union that's their right and their business.

26JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

I will say the self-checkouts at Giant Eagle are terrible.
If you travel allot, the EZPass is much more conveniant as you don't have to worry about carrying change, it's quicker to get through them, and multi-States use it.

27jethead11(139 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Faith, the UAW did not give workers any of that. GM gave the workers their wages, their health care, etc. And when GM ran out of money, the taxpayers picked up the tab. The UAW just negotiates contracts, and uses the power to control the workforce as a bargaining chip to get what they want. There were a lot of economic forces that created the middle class, unions being one. But now, unions are more responsible for killing jobs rather than creating a strong middle class.

Freedom of assembly also means the freedom to not assemble. I don't think the founding fathers would think requiring a person to join an organization, especially a corrupt one, to get a job is what they were thinking. No one argues that people should not be allowed to assemble or join a union.

28faith(200 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Jethead, To the contrary. The right to join a union is often blocked for years by companies. They spread lies use fear and intimidation to prevent workers right to a union. I don't think everyone needs a union. But as wages have fallen in the US so has union membership. Yes, they are related.
The disparity between the richest and poorest people in the US is where it was in 1932.
You need to read history, the UAW contracts were always used as benchmarks for other labor organizations. The UAW has been the strongest human rights labor organization. Most has been done through political action. This is why you and other republicans do not like unions, political action. If groups stoped lobbing on behalf of workers rights, those rights will go away.

29NoBS(2002 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

jethead, I'm happy you make more than those union GM workers do. So we won't ever hear you complaining about how much those union workers make, will we?

30JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

"the UAW contracts were always used as benchmarks for other labor organizations."

If that was the case, there would be allot more companies going bankrupt. I wonder how many companies have a "labor pool" that pays people to stay home?
Unions may have served a purpose when they orginally were created, but they have become completely obsolete.
People do not like Unions because they create ineffficency and waste, and protect bad employees.

31faith(200 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

JME, those are false misconceptions. The most productive and best quality autos come from union plants. Unions did not bankrupt any company.

32candystriper(575 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Kasich will need to sell the entire Ohio Turnpike to Cintra...lol.

33Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

UAW , BRINGING THE WEALTH TO THE VALLEY ! THE EMPLOYEES SPENDING THEIR MONEY ENRICHED THE VALLEY !

Good wages makes for happy workers . Happy workers are productive ! GM didn't invest a BILLION DOLLARS in the Lordstown Plant because the plant wasn't productive . This huge expense just before the recession contributed to financial problems when the economy dived .

I BUY GM, I SUPPORT GM AND I DRIVE GM !

GOD BLESS THE GM AND DELPHI EMPLOYEES WHO MADE THE VALLEY RICHER !

34redvert(2099 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Faith wrote:
"How much of my tax dollars does the ezpass cost in unemployment comp. DAAAHAAA"

If these employees are some of the better employees they will be retained... Oh, I forgot, they may be better than someone with more seniority so Bye Bye! DAAAHHH!!!

35JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

"The most productive and best quality autos come from union plants"

You are a rather deranged individual.

I will say that GM's quality has improved, but it is no where near the quality of Honda or Toyota. I've owned/leased GM's, Honda's, and Toyota's. Still own a Toyota and a GM. GM has still not caught up to Honda or Toyota.

BTW, Honda is Ohio's largest manufacturer when it comes to employment. They did not become that way by following the UAW's benchmark for labor. And Honda employees have voted down unionizing time after time.

A misconception? Congress didn't think so when they asked a GM Executive why they were paying people to stay home; ie. Jobs Banks

36JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Good point Redvert

37JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Faith,

I've seen the inefficiency's and waste that unionized workforces have created - I was on the other side, and been part of two plant shutdowns.
Not all workers are bad, but the union is forced to protect all of it's members including the bad employees.

38jethead11(139 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

A short story of why I'm so anti-union. My first job out of college was at a union company in Youngstown, a major one in town. I refused to join the union, so I got reclassified as management because they needed me. My pay increased 100% in the 4 years I was there. My union counterparts, doing the same job, went on strike and got a 3.2% increase in pay in the same time period. I got my raises because I demanded it myself, not relying on others to do it for me. It made me wonder why these guys even belonged to a union in the first place.

From there, I did a lot of research on labor unions and I determined that, in many cases, they do more harm, not only to society, but to the workers they claim to help. See some of my previous posts for examples. Big labor today is as much a business as IBM and Microsoft. But instead of putting out a good product, they use class envy, coersion, manditory dues collection, and worse to make their money.

I don't think anyone here hates all union people. Quite the contrary. My anger is for those that use these people for their own financial and political gain without providing much of a service. I realize it is a lot more complicated than this. But I can tell you people are not leaving the union movement in record numbers because of company coersion.

Stan, I agree bringing wealth to the Valley is a good thing. Bringing sustained wealth with competitive pay (not excessive pay that kills companies, industries, and taxpayers) is what will keep the Valley prosperous, not unreasonable demands of a deteriorating union movement.

39JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Faith, an example of a false misconception:

"The right to join a union is often blocked for years by companies. They spread lies use fear and intimidation to prevent workers right to a union. "

Maybe in pre-World War II days.

40YSUGRAD(134 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

ILWU is the only union that cares about all unions!

41walter_sobchak(1977 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

@formerytown,

The toll collectors start at $19.50 per hour and get annual pay increases so that after 5 years of service they make $24.41 per hour, before benefits. They are part of the Teamsters, so these jobs would typically have pretty good benefits. Not too bad for collecting money and giving directions.

42candystriper(575 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

bring back the radio actor, manual nut picker, coal stoker and lamplighters...

lol