Two have survived gunshots to the head

By John W. Goodwin Jr.


In the span of a few months, two people, who police believe to be innocent of any wrongdoing, have been shot in the head by gun-toting criminals — and survived.

The most recent shooting took place Wednesday afternoon on the city’s East Side. Latesha McCrae, 30, of Council Rock Avenue, was sitting in bed texting when she was hit in her right temple by a bullet at 7:21 p.m.

Two men watching TV in a different room at her home on the 1500 block of Council Rock told police they heard five gunshots and then the victim yell she was shot and to call 911.

McCrae was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center and listed in stable condition at last check.

The police department’s Capt. Rod Foley said the bullet that struck McCrae was fired from about 75 yards away and traveled through a wall before hitting the woman. Police detectives found two .40-caliber casings on the street on Craiglee Avenue, a short distance from the woman’s home.

Foley said the shooting likely did not involve McCrae at all.

“We think there is an ongoing dispute on a street near there, and we are looking to talk to those individuals and see who they are arguing with and who would be coming over there to shoot,” he said. “The house about a block away where the shell casings were found was the target, but they missed.”

Foley said detectives hope to know who they are looking for after speaking with those involved in the feud.

Police still are looking for the man believed to be responsible for the shooting of 22-year-old Kenneth Woods Jr.

That shooting happened Nov. 26 on East Lucius Avenue near Erie Street on the South Side. Police were called to the scene at 3:30 p.m. in response to reports of gunshots, a large fight and several wrecked cars.

When they arrived, they found Woods, of West Judson Street, slumped over in the driver’s seat of his car. There was damage to the car, the rear window was broken out, and there was an exit hole from a bullet in the windshield.

Woods had a head wound and couldn’t speak. He was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center and has since been released from the hospital, but authorities say he faces months of physical therapy before he completely recovers from his injuries.

Woods, police said, did not have anything to do with the fight or the situation that had taken place just before the shooting. He was attempting to pick a relative up from work.

Police have issued warrants for Kshaun Weaver, 19, and his mother, Erica Weaver, both of East LaClede Avenue. Police have not been able to locate them.

Erica Weaver is wanted for felony tampering with evidence, and Kshaun Weaver is wanted for felonious assault and illegally carrying a firearm in connection with the shooting of Woods.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.