Pavlik: 'My partying days are over'

Published: Tue, February 22, 2011 @ 4:33 p.m.

Boxer Kelly Pavlik spoke the local media Tuesday afternoon for the first time since leaving rehab last month. In a wide-ranging press conference that lasted about 35 minutes, Pavlik covered a variety of topics, ranging from his drinking to his career to his critics.

Here are a few of the highlights:

On whether he plans to change anything: "The only thing that's gonna change is the partying. My partying days are over. I'm not going to change who I am."

On whether he's done with drinking altogether, "Right now, yeah. I've shown I don't need it. I can't tell you I'll never have another drink. All I can say is it hasn't crossed my mind."

On whether his drinking had a negative effect on his boxing career: "When I was in training, I was in training. I was always in great shape. All my setbacks had nothing to do with drinking."

Pavlik said he weighs about 193 pounds and is hoping to fight at super middleweight (168 pounds) on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao fight in Las Vegas on May 7.

When asked if he can be a world champion again, he said, "Yes. I have a lot of confidence and I have the hunger back."

For more details, read Wednesday's Vindicator or visit Vindy.com.

Comments

1danielsdad(28 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Good luck Champ. May God, your family and friends keep you strong. I'm sad that your restaurant had to close although I saw it coming. Your restaurant was one of the few places my autistic son Daniel would go to eat. Take care and be well.

2Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

"My partying days are over."

Excellent news ! Alcohol isn't the friend of anyone ! It takes your health and gives you nothing but grief .

3mahoningvalley12(36 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I wish nothing but the best for Kelly and his family and I hope he is able to stay sober and regain much of the success he once had. I am however worried that maybe he believe he never had a problem to begin with but maybe I am reading too much into this. I just hope for the sake of his family he realizes how negative of an effect alcohol had on his life.

4ROBERT(137 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree with "Mahoning County". This guy has not yet reached bottom which is necessary for him to beat this demon. Good luck to you Kelly. I'm rooting for you!

5Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

"I can't tell you I'll never have another drink. All I can say is it hasn't crossed my mind."

Sad. He'll go back to drinking. A month in rehab is hardly enough. This is a battle each and every day.

"All my setbacks had nothing to do with drinking."

Yes, it did. Wish he would just admit the truth. But until he admits it faithfully the alcohol is just going to end up destroying him.

Good Luck Pavlik. In your health and boxing.

6undead76(63 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I really hope he gets it back in gear. The few times I've met him out in public he seemed like a nice enough guy. I never got the people rooting against him. He's only human and everybody messes up at least once or twice.