Senate Bill 5 updates: Forum at YSU on Monday, major rally in Columbus on Tuesday

Published: Sun, February 20, 2011 @ 4:48 p.m.

Staff report

YOUNGSTOWN

Ohio Education Association affiliates representing classified staff, administrative professionals and professors at Youngstown State University are inviting all public and private-sector unions and interested people in the Mahoning Valley to a public forum on Ohio Senate Bill 5.

The forum, which is also open to others who are interested, is set for 4:30 p.m. Monday in the Chestnut Room of Kilcawley Center on the campus of Youngstown State University.

Senate Bill 5 seeks to end collective bargaining for state employees in Ohio and proposes restrictions on bargaining for other public employees in the state.

It is similar to legislation in Wisconsin that has drawn tens of thousands of demonstrators to that state’s capital, Madison.

The Mahoning County Democratic Party also is planning a bus trip to Columbus on Tuesday. There, a rally will take place at 1 p.m. at the Statehouse, the same afternoon that further hearings and a possible committee vote on the bill are expected to take place.

Comments

1countryboymark(25 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I am sorry, I can not attend. I have to work like most non-union employees.

Please remember to use signs that say 'It's for the kids", or "Give us the money!"

2mrtb74(14 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Gee countryboy, I'm sorry you and other non-union workers have to work 24 hours a day and won't be able to attend. Maybe you should consider joining or forming a union. Then you can go to your employer and say I want to work 8 hours a day like union workers. But then again, working 24 hrs a day like you are, you must be making a ton of money. (overtime) Maybe if you wasn't so greedy your employer would hire other people, instead of you taking all the work.

3TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Is the reason for the Rally being held on Tuesday instead of Monday because of all the Public Employees having tomorrow off because of the Holiday, and no one wants to waste their public holiday protesting? To all you other private sector chumps that have to go to work tomorrow, make sure you go in and tell your boss to "shove-it" for not celebrating "President's Day"!

4Tigerlily(488 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I am a public worker and I do not have tomorrow off. Eff you, LostPatrol. You're lost as usual. Clueless.

5mrtb74(14 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

LostPatrol. The reason it's Tuesday not monday. Politicians not in session. I'm not the smartest person in the world, but if I was going to protest against someone. I'd want them there. But hey, that's just me. I work in the private sector and have tomorrow off, with pay. Sorry your employer don't give you holidays off. Tell you the samething I told Countryboy. If you don't like your place in life as far as your job goes. Maybe you should join or form a union.

6TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

If you are truly a Public-sector Worker, "Tiger-Kitty-litter-lily", and you are expected to work tomorrow, and it is a Holiday, it is most likely your "regularly scheduled" day to work, and I am certain that you either get, Double or Triple Overtime, Double Compensatory Time, or have previously, or will in the future, substitute(d) this day for a past/future day-off.

7TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

And "mrtb74", if I may, let me just say that, "If you don't like your State of residency, as far as the way your majority voted-into-office Republican politicians are going to be casting their vote, then maybe you should move to another State and set up a new residency."

8mrtb74(14 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Lostpatrol, Ok I'll use your logic. In 2008 a vast majority of Americans voted for Obama and the Democrats knowing what they stood for. So maybe you should leave the country.

9TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

"mrtb74", hellooooo, 2008 is now almost three years ago, its 2011, I've survived the past three years, now its your turn to put up with the next four in Ohio. Ted Strickland was a one-term governor, the last before him in Ohio being, John Gilligan (and no he wasn't a castaway with "The Professor and Mary Ann").

10chairman(12 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

faldoneddy just to educate you--Ted Strickland did not create a mess--
the state does not have an 8 Billion
dollar debt--the states constitutient does not alllow operating in the red.
The State faces a $8 Billion dollar deficit
and that is only if Kasich doesnt'
make any program cuts in his budget.
The states current debt is $0

11northsideperson(365 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The real goal here is not controlling costs, but political payback and control of the government. First it will be the government unions, and then 'right to work' laws will be passed to go after the other unions. Once the unions are busted, a big source of Democratic party funds will be lost forever.

I doubt that Gov Kasich and the GOP will be able to fix Ohio's problems with cuts alone ... and when people see how draconian the attempted cuts are, they may well rebel.

This is just like the US GOP meddling with the health bill and cutting back funding for EPA and etc, rather than touch the "third rails" of medicare, medicaid, social security, and military pay.

12chairman(12 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes finally a voice of reason---I would imagine that like myself most of the
readers on here are middle class,
Cant' you see that the GOP is
trying to get us to be at each others throats? If they suceed in supresssing
public employees who will the next target be?
We are all our brothers keeper lets
unite against the elitist GOP
Governors Kasichs self serving political agenda.

13candystriper(575 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Do we want 78 year olds to get an extra 4 months of life or do we want more math and sceince teachers?

Quote from Bill Gates 2011

14dontbestupid(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Chairman, you beat me to it. Yeah, some private sector folks probably think public sector people have it made. But not as made as the people who are really screwing us royally, the rich elites who have somehow managed to confuse middle-class Americans.

The Republican party has been the lapdogs for Wall Street since the days of Ronald Reagan. For God's sake people, wake up before we turn this country into a monarchy and we're all flipping burgers.

15dreamcatcher52(140 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I am a teacher and I will be in the classroom on Tuesday.

16newsmaker1(127 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The private sector union and non-union taxes pay for the public union wages, hosp,pension. The public sector unions have no competition.
Ohio has a $8,000,000,000.00 debt because democrat politicians, wimps that they are, will not tell the public the truth.

Here's an idea: Has much as the useless NEA and Dept of Education has screwed up what is being taught. I think the Governor should ask the legislators to mandate school vouchers for all parents/guardians. Be it-Private, Parchocial, Charter or Public-Allow the parent to decide his children's schooling.

Even home-schoolers should get an allowance. Let the market place decide, in the past this is what made America great. The best products ever-through COMPETITION

17UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, I can't attend. Have to work today like most everybody else in the private sector today to pay my taxes.

Pass Senate Bill 5 already so the taxpayer can start to see smaller government, less spending, less taxes, and an end to the greedy public employee unions demands.

18author50(1121 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

It appears everyone gouging at the political trough - which is taxpayer money (no matter how the politicians and their toadies spin it) have sunk to this simple argument.

Democrats: "Democrats good. Republicans bad".

Republicans: "Republicans good. Democrats bad".

Dont be fooled. It'a all about controlling the playground that only a select few are allowed in.

19HonestAbe(273 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I will attend. I will skip lunch so that I can be there. I will work a full today. The rally starts at 4:30 so that it could accommodate working folks. Sorry to shatter another one of your puppet-fed lies.

20spinman(70 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I wonder how many teachers in the State of Ohio voted Republican. Better yet, I wonder how many teachers and family members did not even vote. People forget that Kasich only won by 2% of the vote. Just think if the teachers actually voted.

21walter_sobchak(1905 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

If you don't vote, don't b!tch. Elections have consequences and we are now seeing the result of Nov., 2010. The tail has wagged the dog for too long now and things will change. The taxpayer has not been getting good value for his tax dollars. If the public sector doesn't like it, circulate petitions and put the referendum up for a vote of the people.

22ailierdroit(106 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

"are inviting all public and private-sector unions and interested people."

Gee, quite the backhanded invitation for those 'they' deem 'won't' be affected.

23cambridge(3009 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Read the link and watch the video.

24Attis(879 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

On Presidents Day, let a President (a Republican one at that!) chime in:

"All that harms labor is treason to America. No line can be drawn between these two. If any man tells you he loves America, yet he hates
labor, he is a liar. If any man tells you he trusts America, yet fears labor, he is a fool"

According to Honest Abe there is a pack of liars, fools and traitors in the Ohio legislature and gov's office.

25lacatheline(13 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

as a retired member of OPERS i can tell you I would not want to work without a union. I had the boss from hell and when i was forced without union representation i was treated like a secondhand citizen while others in the office represented by the union were treated with kid gloves!! when my union representation was reinstated, and i was able to do so, things changed but I was still forced to retire due to illnesses as a result of the constant harrassment!!
please do not blame unions for all the woes of the world. remember how our ancestors worked long hours and poor conditions with little pay, do we really want to go back there?? if the unions go, what will happen??
God Bless America. do you really want to live anywhere else?? not me!!

26ValleyNative(174 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The Wisconsin Democratic state senators will be there!