Facebook remark wasn’t racist, Hagan says

Published: Sun, February 20, 2011 @ 12:09 a.m.

photo

Rep. Robert F. Hagan, D-Youngstown. (AP Photo/Larry Phillips)

By Denise Dick

denise_dick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

A Broadview Heights woman is accusing state Rep. Robert F. Hagan of using a term that some believe has a racist connotation on a social networking site.

Hagan, D-60th, of Youngstown, used the term “buckwheat” in a Facebook posting Saturday.

He said the posting wasn’t racist, and the attack on him is the tea party’s attempt to make him look bad.

“I have a history of supporting equal rights and civil rights,” Hagan said.

The Facebook discussion started between Hagan and Maggi Cook, of Southwest Ohio, regarding Wisconsin Senate Democrats not showing up at their Statehouse because of their governor’s attempts to remove collective bargaining rights and cut benefits for public workers.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich has proposed similar cuts.

Hagan opposes the cuts.

Rachel Mullen Manias, a GOP activist from Broadview Heights, outside Cleveland; a man named Kevin Crowther and others joined the discussion.

The discussion continues, with Manias, Cook and Crowther, who is black, arguing for the need for cuts and Hagan against what’s bee n proposed.

Manias then wrote, “I’m guessing your (sic) from an entrenched area ripe with corruption. I don’t recognize your name as a Cuyahoga County resident, but I’m guessing you’re from the land of Traficant...”

Hagan responds that she’s not making sense. Two others comment and then Crowther returns to the discussion of public unions.

Then Hagan writes, “I ran against Traficant buckwheat ... so take your personal shots, and shove them where the sun don’t shine.”

Hagan said “buckwheat” is a term he’s been using since he was a kid and that it carries no racial connotation for him.

He said he wasn’t aware of the race of any of the people involved in the discussion and that his comment was directed at Manias, not Crowther.

Manias, who e-mailed the discussion to The Vindicator, believes the word is inappropriate in any case.

“I find it completely unacceptable that a career politician finds the word ‘Buckwheat’ to be socially acceptable and appropriate in any situation,” Manias said in an e-mail. “If my children used that racially offensive term towards anyone, I’d wash their mouths out with soap.”

She said her Facebook profile picture is of the Hello Kitty cartoon character.

“If he was directing it to me, how did he know what race I am?” she said in the e-mail. “Also there were African-Americans reading and commenting. How are they to feel? Since Al Sharpton is coming to Akron, maybe he should swing by Youngstown and ask Bob about the appropriateness of the term ‘Buckwheat.’”

Crowther of Liberty Township in Southwest Ohio, believes the term was directed at him.

“I was offended by that,” Crowther said.

He called it an odd and inappropriate thing for Hagan to say.

“I felt it was beneath somebody that we’d elect” to say it, Crowther said.

Hagan said it’s an attempt to make him look bad.

“They are so full of ----,” he said. “They’re so negative, these teabaggers.”

He said that Republicans, as the ones who are cutting programs for the poor and rights for public employees, should be the ones defending themselves.

“I have no apologies for telling her to shove it where the sun don’t shine,” Hagan said. “I’m a liberal. I’m happy to be a liberal. I’m a progressive liberal and I have a record of fighting for equal rights, for civil rights, for women’s rights. The only thing I regret is responding to them at all.”

Comments

1L0L(648 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Him using that word is not offensive and Al Sharpton can go f*&k himself. I couldnt give two, make that one, sh%t what that guy has to say.

2Askmeificare(700 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm not a big Hagan fan, but the comment was not racist.

Thanks to Manias, Cook and Crowthers the world now has definite proof that there is no shortage of stupid.

I read the facebook pages and it seemed to me that Manias, Cook and Crowthers had the email attention of a Senator and Manias, Cook and Crowthers didn't have the maturity to intelligently communicate during the facebook session. Hence, the three fired at him rudely and moronically.

Facebook debates:

Hagan - 1

Manias - 0
Cook - 0
Crowther - 0

Case closed.
Next case please.

3timOthy(802 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Buck wheat ! Buckwheat ! What ! Is this woman nuts ? It's always nice you use words as you see them fit. But don't let any one else. Then to top it off your on a social site that anything goes !! Now that what I find strange Black baby !

4Handala(38 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Bobs left wing/progressive/liberal loud mouth got him a butt whoopen not long ago.Hmm?

5author50(1121 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Maybe Comrade Bob should have used the name Stymie?

Wonder if Penn Gaming will stop the campaign contributions to him over this?

6Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

"“Also there were African-Americans reading and commenting. How are they to feel? Since Al Sharpton is coming to Akron, maybe he should swing by Youngstown and ask Bob about the appropriateness of the term ‘Buckwheat.’”

Get a LIFE people. My God, now BUCKWHEAT is racist! Pretty soon your not going to be able to say NOTHING to blacks. Unbelievable!

Yep, call ole useless Sharpton and Jackson, they will rally and complain about the useless stuff but avoid the real problems, like young male black adults shooting and murdering INNOCENT people.

BUCKWHEAT? What a sad world we live in.

7ytownsteelman(627 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Bob Hagan says quite a few things on Facebook that I do not feel are appropriate for a public figure to say. He is supposed to represent all of his constituents not just the ultra left wing. He is an angry man, and needs to move on since he can no longer objectively represent his constituents.

8palbubba(664 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Hagan is nothing more than an arrogant left wing liberal. I witnessed the arrogant part personally and heard him say it, so it is not name calling. Just stating a fact. Why does every liberal who has no real arguement resort to the tea party name calling? Look at the wonderful prosperity of the Mahoning Valley, no wonder Hagan is so arrogant. As a long time politician his accomplishments for the betterment of the Valley are zilch. At least the people of Youngstown were smart enough to defeat him when he ran for mayor.

9chuck_carney(499 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Hagan said you were a racist if you didn't vote for Obama. My corallary is you are an idiot if you vote for Hagan the bar room brawler.

10RFederer(116 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I see all the white people have bellied up to the racist bar to tell everyone that Buckwheat isn't a racist word. Of course it is. Hagan loves all colors of people, especially when it's time to vote.

11ratchetgurl30(2 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

My opinion is that he IS racist. He has a holier than thou attitude, but I saw many racist comments on his FB. If anyone ever calls him out on it, he gets defensive, calls them names, and blocks them from his FB. He's a RAT! It's good to see that other people are calling him out.
Catching up to you isn't it Bobby????? Remember your comments regarding Shirley Sherrod???? Remember your attacks you made against those who didn't share the same opinions as you? Racisim is inbred in you Bobby!
I hope that this will end your career and give this Valley what they need, and that is rid of you and your hidden agendas!

12Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I dont like Hagen. I don't. But I think it is STUPID to accuse a man of saying something racist toward someone/people that he does not know the race of, and especially a man whose record shows that he is FOR equal/civil rights! Had he said the N word or had he directed "Buckwheat" toward those he KNEW were black, there would be no doubt. Im just tired of reading stuff meant expressly to stir up trouble. This just took up space in our newspapers and wasted time out of my day to even give thought to it. By the way, who cares about Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? I lost respect for those two long ago. If you are going to call someone to deal with this so called incident of racism, call in someone who has some credibility or integrity. Or atleast someone who will look at this incident with an open mind. I know of many issues going on now in our country that are BLATANT cases of racism like the KKK leader in Mississippi being honored with his own license plate. Hopefully, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will HAVE ENOUGH SENSE to focus on those things and not this one. As I sit here, I just think back to Al Sharptons comments in a debate when he was wanting to run for president. It just makes me shake my head in amazement.

13Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

YtownSteelman and Palbubba- As I said I dont like Hagan. And maybe he is arrogant and says somethings on his FB page that he should not, but looking closely at his Buckwheat comment, do you think it was a racist comment? That is the point here that I am trying to make. And of all people who should be called in to address this, do you think that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton should be the ones?

14tonne(199 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

how can anyone think the term is not racist? it certainly is. the character as depicted in the "Little Rascals", although part of the group, was a Hollywood stereotype of the bug-eyed when frightened, dumb black person. i'm sure back then no one thought much of it, but today that image is considered racist and so is calling someone by that name. Hagan has never had my vote and never will because of the things he does like this. those who are defending him should be ashamed. as for Mr. Sharpton, not a fan of his either. as far as i'm concerned, both men are cut from the same cloth - arrogant, ignorant and, yes, racist.

15Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

tonne-what you visualize in your mind and what I visualize in my mind when I think of the name Buckwheat may be totally different. What Hagan thinks may be different. We are all going to have different ideas of what words mean to all of us. And we do need to be sensitive to what feelings those names evoke in other people. But do you think Hagan meant this as a racist comment? And do you think those FB posters really believed that it was a racist comment or was it their agenda to stir up trouble that night?

16RFederer(116 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

What Hagan thinks might be different???

He wasn't ordering pancakes at Bob Evans.

It was absolutely a racist comment. Hagan only likes blacks when they vote.

17Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

RFederer-I can call you thinks against your race and never use a "racist" term. We are not all automatons, we all dont have the same definition of words or what WE MEAN when we say them embedded in a brain chip in our heads. I am not saying that Buckwheat is not a racist term. I am sure that there are those out there who mean it as a racist term and some who do not. ( Like the N word. Many use it as a racist term and then there are those in the black community who use it in a non-racist way). What I am asking is WHAT YOU THINK HAGAN meant by it. And can you really know what he meant? And do you think the FB posters believed it or they saw those words as a perfect opportunity to start trouble who they totally politically oppose?

18Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Youcan, there are many people who dont know this, black or white, and they will use "Buckwheat" or other words never knowing about the history of the words. Ignorance is no excuse, but what I am getting at is: What was Hagan's intention when he made that comment? He is a public figure and he, like all of us, needs to be sensitive to the feelings of others, but what was his intention? I just feel like we had some FB'ers who dont like Hagan who took a comment that he made that he probably should not have who say they KNOW what he meant and who are trying to stir up trouble.

19auntiem4cabs(113 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The woman got her name in print. I am not a Hagin supporter either, but DANG! I wonder how PC the accuser is? Oh my gosh ppl are amazing.

20Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

SO BUCKWHEAT IS RACIST ? OK, so lets then ban that Buckwheat Pancake Mix being sold !

21ysuwin(57 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

As a black person who voted for Hagan, I will never do so again. Who the hell is he to say what's racist to black people and what's not. Stop making excuses and listen to the black people Bob. That's why you couldn't win mayor in Youngstown. You have zero trust in the African-American community. You can say you stand for civil rights all you want, but you're actions always say other wise. Resign!

22Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

laurieljc

It's a losing cause debating with these fools. No matter what you say, someone is going to take it out of context and make it something a lot more then what it is. It amazes me in today's society that because someone uses the word BUCKWHEAT (which that person would have NO CLUE what race the other person is) can cause such controversy. It's sad that you can't say ANYTHING without someone screaming racist at you. Maybe Hagan is a racist, but this incident is no way, shape or form, a racist comment. It's just somebody wanting to start something that probably has no life. Notice the other person saying about screen shots.
And by the way, people loved Buckwheat.

23Jasper(3 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

What if I, a white man, referred to President Obama as "Our Buckwheat President"? Is that racist? Well it would seem to be because just last year A BLACK politician said in reference to Obama: "Listen up, Buckwheat — this is not how it is done!" And the media crushed him for it.

Liberals are notoriously racist because they think any minority who isn't with them is nothing less than a traitor. The plantation is on the left. They'll keep you poor, they'll keep black abortion in the millions, and they'll eviscerate you if you stray from the party line.

White high school basketball players were publically condemned for calling their black teammate with an afro - "Buckwheat". http://www.fark.com/comments/4213885/...

And, of all places, the folks at the Democratic Underground seem pretty unanimous in how they consider the term - yes - racist. http://www.democraticunderground.com/...

Shakespeare said "The villainy you teach me, I'll execute and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction". The point here being - the left has used race as a bludgeon for years. The right has learned from this and is bludgeoning back. Get used to it you group-think, racist d*ouchebags!

24mrblue(975 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't like Hagan----never liked Hagan----and can't believe he is still in office. Alot of what he says is very unprofessional considering the elected office he holds. I think he is to comfortable in his position.

25RFederer(116 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The word buckwheat is used in 3 situations.
1. Ordering pancakes.
2. Talking about the our gang comedies.
3. Racist commentary.
There are no other uses for that word.

Factoring in the avatar that someone above posted was in the facebook dialog, it appears Bobby is indeed a racist.

And I'm white.

26Jasper(3 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Okay liberals - try an experiment. Go to down town Milwaukee, wearing an Obama T-shirt and an SEIU hat. Make sure people know you're a true, civil rights fighting liberal. Approach every African-American you see and, flashing a sincere peace sign with your fingers say to him/her "Peace, Buckwheat". We'll call it the "Peace Buckwheat Project". Please take a video camera along. Share with us your results when complete.

27InColumbiana(63 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Growing up, I heard buckwheat used and always thought buckwheat was a nice way of calling someone a hay seed... so, I'm thinking that its one of those things that morphed over time... originally it might have been racist, but since the next generation (being called buckwheat) had no real ideal of Little Rascals, it was taken differently. Just like some rock groups use a confederate flag as a symbol of rebellion and others see it as racist. So I personally don't have a problem with the buckwheat thing (I've been called that by my own relatives). BUT...

I have a problem with a senator talking to constituents and acting like a tweener on facebook. He also told them to go shove it and was generally writing like a thug to people who were trying to get their point across. As much as I disagree with the tea party, Hagan should have been the adult in the conversation or should have walked away from the keyboard.

28tonne(199 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Laurieljc -- i'm old enough to know, as is Mr. Hagan, the connotation of the name he used. regardless of the race of the person he addressed, he was not talking about pancakes and he meant to offend. as i said, the character was a stereotype, bug-eyed and not too bright. terms like honky, wop or white trash are old-fashioned but most people know they are derogatory and negative. i doubt that Hagan would use any of those terms to address someone. but then again, maybe he would.

29bouyantkym(30 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

WHY DON'T EVERYBODY JUST GROW UP!!!!, EVERYONE IS SOUNDING LIKE KIDS!!DON'T LET THE POLITITIONS HAVE ANY ONLINE SOCIAL NETWORK ACCOUNTS!

30captainpeewee(66 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

nothing i love better then a white self loathing liberal black lover getting his A@s kicked by blacks,

31ohiolover(7 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Whether the comment is racist or not, the conduct of which Hagan involved himself.....chatting on Facebook, and speaking to citizens in the manner that he did is very unprofessional for an elected representative. I don't believe that he really cares about what he says or who he says it to.

32moneymoney(21 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

He would probably not defend me if I said something like that to a white person and got accused of racism, so f--k him. This is a classic case of what comes around goes around for the Dems. Those idiots have ruined life after life with their bogus, over-inflated cries of racism. People need to lighten up and tone down the political correctness. If you want to go after the guy, go after him on something that matters, like the way he does his job.

33indy1(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Lets see, Democrats and their propagandists in the lib media say the non-word "Macacca" is offensive if a Republican says it, but when a Democrat says the name for a demeaning black character in the Our Gang comedies, it isn't offensive. It must be great when the lib media lets you be a racist.

34MrBill(43 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

In response to "LosersNeverWin":
I would love to see Al Sharpton drop by Youngstown. His main goal in life has been getting to the bottom of the Great Poopie Caper. He might want to check in with Chief Jimmy Huges to see if there are any new leads (turds) in the case, we have a ton of pooh in town he could pick through......

35MrBill(43 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

If Al Sharpton comes to town I hope he doesn't smear anyone!

36PhilMcCrackin(58 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! He said " buckwheat" OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with him? He should be killed for that!!!! Shouldn't he?

37Jasper(3 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Hey PhillupMcDoucher,

It is your party that is forever crucifying people for the things they say. Turn about is fair play. That is all. You racist, fat, mid-western cheesehead punk. See? Fun, right?

38Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

"“I’m guessing your (sic) from an entrenched area ripe with corruption. I don’t recognize your name as a Cuyahoga County resident, but I’m guessing you’re from the land of Traficant...”

Ah the hurt heaped upon Hagan . . .. I sure hope that it doesn't affect the aurora of his pleasant personality .

39tonne(199 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

this is my final comment on this subject. if anyone believes racism is dead in this country and those who say it isn't are just a bunch of liberal trouble makers, he/she only needs to read some of the comments posted on this page to know it is alive and well. the conduct of a political leader on a social website, whether it be using terminololy that can be construed as racist or posting half-naked pictures of themselves, is something that we as voters should be concerned about and also consider when it comes time for reelection.

40mommy3(13 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Well as a dem who got called racist more times than I can count by fellow dems just because I didn't support Obama in the primaries (ONLY because I thought he was totally unqualified and inexperienced), I say "How does it feel Bob?" Not too good, huh?

Whatever his intentions, "buckwheat", in my mind, goes straight to a racist caricature of a black child. He really should know better. Good luck trying to prove you are not a racist!!

Buckwheat's Greatest Hits Eddie Murphy

41TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

"OH-TAY"

42annaakita(15 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm racist and proud of it. There is reason to be racist. People are stupid. I dont single out any one race though, I just hate people in general. I call all people I dont like the "N" word, I dont care what color they are. But, you act like one, you get called one...Point blank.

43captainpeewee(66 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

If you think racism is dead try tuning in to a black talk radio show, w.v.o.n in chicago , they make the kkk look like sunday school program.

44dualdiagnosis(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The NAACP seems to think it's a racist term.

"A white state lawmaker in a runoff election called a black civil- rights veteran who had helped her campaign "Buckwheat," prompting the NAACP to urge voters to kick her out of office." http://tv.breitbart.com/candidate-apo...

45Constructor(105 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Thanks to watching the Little Rascals in our youth, my brothers and I have always said "Otay Buttwheat" to each other when we answer another. We have even used it in email responses to each other. We are a middle class, white family and it's connotation is not meant as a racial slur, in any stretch of the imagination.

Many of the Tea Party people I know are some of the most racist individuals I have ever met. Most of their problem is that they are outraged that we Democrats voted in a black president and are now doing everything they can to punish us for it. A lot of these TP's are white, small business owners and professionals who are supposed to be respected members of our communities. I'm sickened by the racist remarks these 'Pillars of the Community' use in my presence, let alone in front of their own children. As usual, hypocrisy abounds with these 'holier than thou' Republicans.

46m8ke_the_call(105 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Hagan is Vulgar and talks like a sailor, he should not be a state rep with his language and temper! Attached is a link to a screenshot of him insulting young kinds on FB back in November. Enjoy Vindy.

47lmk10pta(4 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Who cares what he said. Just something else for the blacks to complain about.Its always about race. The young, white male is now the minority..look around. The blacks get the jobs first for "racial balance". Or because if you don't hire them, its racial. I'm so sick of it. Qualifications mean nothing any more.And Sharpton, all he has is a big mouth that causes nothing but trouble. And then people bitch because of the amount of salaries being paid. Can there ever come a time that people quit complaining about each other and just get along?

48borylie(790 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

After republican Senator George Allen called his opponent's aide a macaca,the press and the democrats would of had you believing he just bought 30 slaves at auction.

49lilgandee(103 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Why cant whites say almost anything w/out it being racist but they can use the damn terms when talking to each other. I see more and more rude blacks since Obama became president yet they r the first 2 whine racist. Most blacks r racist that I have met unless they have educated themselves. My daughter is part white and part black I am teaching her respect, morals and values, to treat people as she wants treated that is what our country lacks. That's a fact Jack!!

50Hlecter(59 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Nobody is offended by the term "tea-baggers" that Hagan used? And that the Vindy saw fit to print?

Enough with that term already. It's all over the letters to the Editor.

Vindicator--just stop printing it. You wouldn't print c--ks---er would you?

can't believe pols are stupid enough to interact on social networks. Laughed when i read the exchange between Betras and Hagan!

They are po's about people being disrespectful to Obama?? Hello! how about the Bush years and the wonderful comments made about him by the Looney Left?

Bobby, just keep your mouth shut and keep cashin' those paychecks we provide you.

51ojanet22(134 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

How about banning Aunt Jemima products? The boxes depict an African-American woman wearing a head scarf and looking every inch the cook/maid. And let's not forget Uncle Ben!

How ridiculous!! Bob Hagan is the same age as I and grew up watching the Little
Rascals. The Buckwheat character was no more than a darling, mischievous child. That is what children saw when watching the Little Rascals.

If you aren't in our age group you cannot possibly get it.

52walter_sobchak(1893 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I watched the Li'l Rascals when I was a kid and the show definitely portrayed the black stereotype of dumb, lazy and slow. As the characters got older in the show, Spanky, Alfalfa, Froggy, etc. all became more prominent, but not the black characters. One of the funniest thingsI ever saw was when Stymie was sitting on a stove when they were making the prize cake and he began to sweat. He wiped the aweat with his hand and flicked it across the white refrigerator and the sweat was black!

But, like Comrade Bob, I grew up in the same time period, but I'm not a holier-than-thou liberal. I wised up as I got older and became conservative. And, since I didn't vote for Barack Hussein Obama, or because I laughed at the rascals, I must be a racist. Here's the thing. Call me whatever the hell you want. Unlike Bobby, I have thick skin.

Bob, keep up the left and protect that chin.

53BeReasonable(2 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

This comment is obviously racist and anyone who says it isn't is misinformed. This would be the same as a white person being called snowflake or cracker it is said to be hurtful. I am white and offended by the use of buckwheat. Youngstown is one of the places that everytime something is brought to someones attention by the african american community they are accused of playing the race card. Lets act educated and learn to be tolerant of all people.

54Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

bereasonable

"This comment is obviously racist and anyone who says it isn't is misinformed."

We know you can't say anything in today's society without it being racist. If you feel hurtful being called cracker or snowflake and if buckwheat offends you then you need to get some confidence in yourself and become a man or women because you won't last in this day and age.
And if you read the transcript how in the world could you tell what race that person is? Do you have special powers? Am I missing something where the race is shown?

551Marine(29 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

WOW! Mr "Where's The Photo OP" said something stupid? Imagine that. Can't spend a lot of time writing about someone so useless.

56undead76(63 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Fee Times a Mady!

57undead76(63 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

If you stop making meaningless words powerful by validating them, they will go away. It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal.

58Hlecter(59 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Hagan is probably a good guy, but like all of us whether you admit it or not, has racist tendencies when it suits him. Racial words come out in emotional situations. It happened in the mayor's race.

Dems use race as a tool. They treat that minority as victims to further their agenda.

Hagan should be more aware of his position and the effect his words have on the public.

Could you imagine Gerberry or Carano or Boccieri making such a statement?

Shut your mouth Bobby and get off the social network.

59othello(8 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I guess "Sambo", "Step and Fetchit" are appropriate references to use to describe Black folks as well today? What a crock!

60otisgrimes(3 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

How is Buck wheat not a racist term? The actual fictionalized character represents exaggerated stereotypes that were imposed upon actors in the entertainment industry at the time to be a representation of OUR culture within the media platform, which just so happens to be the biggest brainwasher of our culture and others abroad.

No one wants to take responsibility for their subconscious telling the truth on how they perceive reality.
TYPICAL....

61chrissymaria(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The way I see it people just need to grow up and stop being so sensitive. We are in an age where everybody's feelings get hurt by the smallest thing and then are ready to make a bug stink about it. Hagan wasn't the first White man to say it and he sure wont be the last. There will always be racisim in this country whether we want to admit or not. If we allow ourselves to get our panties all in a bunch over a few words then America as a whole is hopeless. The question is will we ALL as Americans learn to face the fact that there are differences between us but as long as there is respect then we will be able to function as a decent society.

62SickofJimbo(140 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Hagan barely got through high school. What to you expect from the leachate politician. A little kid on Facebook

63madman(50 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The black ppl will never be happy. thay want to run everything in youngstown thats racist

64BeReasonable(2 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Lifes2Short you are right people should have thick skin and not let others affect them, but we also have to move past hating each other and learn to show respect. Bob Hagan took an oath to represent all people in his district, and yes he should be held to a higher standard. If you read most of the comments you can see the youngstown area has not moved forward as alot of the country has. Companies will not move to areas that do not have communities that work together instead of tear each other down. There are crimes being committed by all races not just the african americans in youngstown read the police blotter. Sadly drugs are ravaging the black community and this is causing the harshest crimes in there neighborhoods. Lets find solutions and not waste time name calling.

65rumppy(107 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

First of all, WHITE SOCIETY OR the WHITE RACE will never understand that the whole little raschles thing was nothing but racist. No you wouldn't understand. But you should.It is and always will be demeaning to people of color. You have blinders on. You all come out of the woodworks when it comes to something like this. I don't like that term and what it stood for. That whole raschle thing was to show people of color as second class. Mahoning Valley has a stinch to it. It smells and always have. But for you who don't see it is because negatives things were not happening to you.Can't blame the steelmills smoke for your thoughts. Its just who you are. A product of a failed area and society.

66Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Well rumppy . . ..

Many blacks vote for and support Robert F. Hagan . Is he a racist ? I very much doubt it . I don't support him because of his liberal views but I se no racism on his part .

Are all blacks pillars of the community that should be looked up to ? Not a chance ! Far too many are in the same league as the white trash that do crime .

67gr8stgrammy(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Well, I am a registered democrat, but really feel the part of an independent. I found the whole story disturbing. Yes, I believe the remark was offensive. I was offended by both this remark and his very attitude. As a publicly elected official, he should behave in a more respectable, professional manner. I, too, am against SB5, but as an educator, I hope that I would conduct myself in a more respectable manner than Mr. Hagan did. I, for one, am very embarrassed by his behavior.

68rumppy(107 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Stan, let me first say, that it took me a long while before I signed up to this site. I have read your comments along with many others and didn't want any parts of some truly tunnel vision people. Its not about him being racist. I did not call him a racist. I called society racist. I called the LITTLE RASCHALS a racists film. Don.t you or can't you see why people of color is sensitive to that? And if you don't, you are part of the problem. Sometimes I cringe when I read these comments. Not very well thought out.

69Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Well rumppy, if society as we know it today was racist then we would not have black millionaires . Racist phobia is what far too many use as a crutch to validify their lack of productivity .

70gypsygirl720(186 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

___WELL___so it goes, as usual: much ADO about NOTHING___.??
The people claiming Bobby is a racist got "THEIR 15 MINUTES of FAME" and then some___.
We respect Bobby. He speaks his mind, stands up for his friends, family and yes: the CITIZENS. [Regardless of their ethnic group, religion, sexuality, physical appearance, ETC.]
Bobby Hagan IS educated, works hard, supports his family and inspires many of our young people___in a POSITIVE way.
___Seems like alot of jealous people are out there___.

71Hlecter(59 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

gypsygirl

Jealous? Inspires "many" young people?

Could you expand on those claims, please?

Give us examples.

72madman(50 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

71 year old man had two black man come to his home and take his tv that he was watching and walk out the door but thats ok right ? And he was home . is this not racist? And the bad part is the police didnot come for 45mins later now thats bs

73planforthebest(53 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I thought "buckwheat" was a term that means, "a person who doesn't know all the facts before speaking." I think it's only a racial slur if it's captialized into a proper name, as in the Little Rascals character named Buckwheat.

74YSUPenguin(30 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Blacks are so sensitive and take offense to every little thing...probably because they all have a chip on their shoulder and think the world owes them something. It's absolutely ridiculous and it's time we stop being so politically correct out of fear of offending someone. It's sad what this country has become because of the left wing liberals. We need to take our country back!

75rumppy(107 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

ysupenquin, Look in the mirrior!!!!!You sound like just what you are.You think that you own the world.You have killed,raped,sold people, broke up families, lied, incarcerated people who weren't quilty.Look at your history. What have you done for me lately?????

76espnlooop(24 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Of course his comment wasn't racist. He's a Democrat, and Democrats can't be racist!

77sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Hagan you racist, throw in the towell and retire... Aren't you tired of doing nothing and draining the tax payers funds? You are almost as big a joke across America as that MORON Kusinich. If a republican said what you said Al and Jessie would be Mahoning Valley bound to spew their hatred...

78cheybaby2(102 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Its Amazes Me How they ALWAYS CALL Racist BULL CRAP. They Have More Rights Then White and Its Bull. I'm White I used Buckwheat to my Kids To And Yes There White SO WHAT. I also Grew Up With The Little Rascals That Was A Great Kids Show, No Killing, No Blood, No Rap, None Of The Crap These Days. I played With My Little Black Friends, I had a Black Baby Sitter And She Must Of Had 15 Kids. But They Call Us a white nig, hunky, white trash, and white Bitc, But Us Whites Say One Word Its Racist..We Have No Freedom of Speech,, We are Not Allowed To Chose who we Sell Or Rent Our Homes To, or who our Neighbors are . Oh I forgot The Trailer Trash Remark, I live in a house not a Trailer . Now If One Of our White Cops Arrest a Black Oh there Ready For War, Now If a Black Cop Arrest a White Nothing is said. This Needs To Stop Now If They Get Fired For Sitting on there Lazy Buts Its Racist, But If He Was White and Got Fired That's Alright. I'm Sick Of This. We White Need To File Charges for Being Called Name and Should be-able to file Discrimination Because we Are White. They Only Race In The USA that Is Discriminated against Is The Native Americans Indians, They Still Starve To This Day, Pres Bush Had A Bunch Of There Woman Castrated so they couldn't bare children. They Have Zero Right, There Homes Are Awful No Electric No Heat, Pine ridge Reservation Being The Worse,. They Die In Grooves. There Reservations are US concentration Camps. Blacks Have More Freedom Then Most. Go To Africa To This Day Slavery still Goes In There Tribes, A Slave To There Own Race, I'm so Sick Of All This Race Bull Shi- . GROW UP PEOPLE.

79khw729(8 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Cheybaby2, did you complete 2nd grade grammar and spelling? You should also get your facts straight, and perhaps visit a one of the reservations. They are self-governing independent nations, and while they have high unemployment and other social problems, no one is starving. In fact they have a higher obesity rate than the general population, due to generous food stamp and welfare benefits.

I don't think it is possible for a woman to be castrated either, but if you have evidence of President Bush forcing Native American women to be sterilized I'm sure the Vindicator would love to break that story.

As for the rest of your post, it is just ignorant. White cops arrest plenty of black suspects every day, and not a word is said. I'm sure every cop has arrested suspects of every race and ethnicity regardless of their own race. In fact the only person you will convince me of being racist with this moronic post is yourself.