Suspect aids probe into murder near YSU

Published: Tue, February 15, 2011 @ 12:01 a.m.

photo

Braylon Rogers

By John W. Goodwin Jr.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Braylon Rogers has pleaded guilty to one charge for his role in the high-profile murder near Youngstown State University, but other felony charges against him likely will be dismissed, authorities say.

Despite the dropped charges, however, police and prosecutors say they are building a strong case in the off-campus shootings Feb. 6 that resulted in the death of Jamail Johnson, 25, a YSU student, and the wounding of 11 others.

Mahoning County Prosecutor Paul Gains, in a press conference Monday, said Rogers, 19, of East Lucius Avenue, pleaded guilty to being a convicted felon in illegal possession of a firearm.

Police arrested Rogers and Columbus Jones Jr., 22, of Cambridge Avenue, just hours after the shooting. Each suspect was charged with aggravated murder, 11 counts of felonious assault and improperly discharging a firearm into a habitation, but Gains said the aggravated-murder and assault charges against Rogers likely will be dropped.

“We believe this is the appropriate charge [illegal possession of a firearm] for Mr. Rogers. Mr. Rogers has cooperated with police. ... Because of his cooperation, the Youngstown Police Department was able to secure search warrants that resulted in the seizure of several items. Detectives were also able to find other witnesses,” Gains added.

Gains would not say what items were seized as a result of information garnered from Rogers but did say information given to the press about Rogers’ cooperation with authorities placed his life in danger.

He said the prosecutor’s office is requesting a full investigation to determine who gave information to the media that was not approved for release.

“Police need people who were there to come forward. We encourage people to come forward, and when they come forward, their identity should be protected,” Gains said. “That is why we are so interested in who leaked this information” to the press.

Rogers’ bond has been dropped to $5,000, with a 10 percent reduction, meaning he can be released from jail if he can raise $500, but Gains said Rogers has been kept in protective custody for his own safety since last week. Rogers, Gains said, is expected to continue to cooperate with authorities in the investigation.

Meanwhile, over the weekend, police arrested a fifth suspect in the shootings at the home used by members of Omega Psi Phi fraternity at 55 Indiana Ave.

Brandon Carter, 22, of East Ravenwood Avenue, appeared Monday morning before Magistrate Anthony Sertick of Youngstown Municipal Court for arraignment. He is charged with obstruction of justice, a felony, a charge prosecutors say is related to the shootings.

Reports say officers arrested Carter on Friday afternoon at his home as his family members used video recorders to chronicle the arrest.

Prosecutors asked that Carter’s bond be set high because of the connection to the case. Sertick ordered Carter jailed on a $75,000 bond.

Jamelle Jackson, 18, of Youngstown, is jailed on a $150,000 bond on a charge of carrying a concealed weapon. Demetrius Wright, 20, of West Avondale Avenue, is in jail on $100,000 bond on a charge of tampering with evidence.

Comments

1steelwagon(284 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Another senseless murder in Youngstown and by all accounts I'v heard the victim was a fine young man who took an interest in the young people of his community.
Sadly we'll never know how far Jamail might have gone or the full extent of the positive impact he could possibly have made in a community that's in desperate need of positive male role models.

Something that shouldn't be overlooked and stands out in my opinion is the manner in which the young people who knew Jamail addressed him.
He was called Mr.Jamail.

Called Mr.Jamail because he was respected by the young people he helped,worked with and reached out to.
We hear far to often about the lack of respect and good manners from young people today

And I believe Jamail earned the respect he was shown by taking the approach of compassion,kindness and straight no nonsense talk when dealing with the kids he wanted to help.
Jamail had a rare gift.

A gift he apparently learned to master at a young age.
A gift he gladly shared and used to help those in his community who needed his help the most..

Mr.Jamail Johnson lived a short life well worth celebrating.
Sadly his needless passing is well worth the tremendous outpouring of grief,sorrow and sadness his community witnessed.

Perhaps we can have hope that one day those Jamail touched during his brief life will step up and follow in his footsteps.
Those will be very large shoes to fill.

2Tigerlily(472 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

In moments of hysteria, it is difficult to find witnesses who can reliably and accurately recall who was holding a gun, and who was shooting a gun. If Braylon Rogers was holding a gun that night, but had taken it out because someone else had started shooting, out of a self-defense mechanism, then he's innocent of the murder and shootings. The Vindicator should be ashamed for reporting that he was working with the police. They've compromised this case.

3Tigerlily(472 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

If it was the Vindicator that reported it. This article is not clear. For all we know, it could have been WKBN.

4fcb(313 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Here comes the PLEA Bargains and the garbage is back on the streets. Please don't let this poor young mans death be in vain.Let them plea bargain,the prosecutor gets convictions on the charges the garbage agree to and he looks good because he got his conviction and the garbage walks back onto the street. Justice my A--

5onthetown(252 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Prosecutor Paul Gains actually stated that Rogers is working with the police in a press conference. There's no need for the Vindicator or WKBN to compromise a case when our County Prosecutor is willing to do it himself.

6Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

tigerlilly

That is part of the problem, he shouldn't EVEN have a gun on him. What is a 19 year old doing with a GUN? Why does he have to be packing? This is the part people just can't comprehend. These animals should not be carrying a gun BOTTOM LINE.

7Stormieangel(136 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Look at the record....plea bargain down just to get a conviction for a lesser crime and do lesser time so the scumbags can get out sooner and do a repeat crime. Our legal system is kinda a travesty; it gets to be almost laughable and so very sad for the true victims of crime. Slap this little 19-year old hands and let the sweetie go free. I'm sure we can drag in his home life, his mental condition, his being from the ghetto etc....any excuse will do to let the scum back on the streets to terrify the innocent, law-abiding citizens. Go Gains but I think you deserve a pay CUT for you are one of the LEGAL system that is responsible for JUSTICE not being doled out in the proper doses. A traffic violater gets a higher penalty in comparison to a murderer. And not all murderers are treated equally; not all gun totting creeps are treated equally. Shot a child and no big deal. But shoot a cop that is trained in defense and carries a gun and that shooter is on death row. Where is the JUSTICE in this country? It makes me sick!!!!

8Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

youcantsilencetruth

"Braylon could have carry concealed with a proper CCW, but he's a felon already isn't he? So no CCW."

Don't think he's a felon yet. But to carry you have to be 21 and do you really think he would take a 12 hour course? His rap sheet at the ripe old age of 19 is:
juvenile convictions for attempted burglary and disorderly conduct.
involved in a hit-skip accident in 2009

You must be at least 21 years of age.
Find a qualified CCW instructor and complete the required 12-hour course to obtain your Certificate of Competency.
# Pass a criminal background check and mental competency check.
# Submit to having your fingerprints electronically scanned or inked and rolled onto a card.

And you think these young animals would go the proper route to obtain a CCW? If so, your living in the land of Oz.

9itbelinda(22 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Youngstown is a JOKE, from the Mayor to the Prosecutor to the Police Officers. Born and raised there but glad to be gone.

10Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

itbelinda

"Youngstown is a JOKE, from the Mayor to the Prosecutor to the Police Officers."

I agree with you about the so called officials of the city. There useless.

"Born and raised there but glad to be gone."

And your neck of the woods is just so picture perfect, huh? No problems at all where you reside? Somehow kind of find that hard to believe.

11George412(161 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Life2Short, where did you get Rogers's juvenile record? I haven't seen it printed anywhere, and those records are supposed to be sealed, aren't they? I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm asking a serious question.

Interestingly, the YSU student newspaper The Jambar last week interviewed a witness who said that Rogers was not one of the shooters.

And in my opinion, The Jambar has been doing some solid investigative journalism in this case.

Regardless, those juvenile offenses are non-violent ones, and even though some people on these threads like to characterize all young black suspects as "animals," there is a big difference between disorderly conduct and murder. Big. Difference.

12Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

george412

"Life2Short, where did you get Rogers's juvenile record?"

From the Vindy...

Prosecutors told the court Rogers has juvenile convictions for attempted burglary and disorderly conduct.
A check of Youngstown police files shows Rogers was involved in a hit-skip accident in 2009 when he was 17.

"like to characterize all young black suspects as "animals,"

"there is a big difference between disorderly conduct and murder. Big. Difference."

Any CRIME no matter how small you think it is, is still a CRIME. A disorderly conduct can lead to more trouble, burglary can lead to murder and on and on. You just never know.

13redvert(2007 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

What is the link in Youngstown or Mahoning County for that matter to research criminal records?

14redvert(2007 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I love the comments like Tigerlily's, "If Braylon Rogers was holding a gun that night, but had taken it out because someone else had started shooting, out of a self-defense mechanism, then he's innocent of the murder and shootings."

Based on that mentality, whoever actually fired the shots that killed Jamail can use the defense that it was accidental cause he was aiming to kill someone else and Jamail got in the way. Don't laugh, Gains might buy that!

15redvert(2007 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks truth, I thought I had it but I had a typo in the URL. Thanks for the Trumbull also.

You mentioned that Rogers was another local football hero. Kind of resembles Clarett, doesn't he?

16VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

The real disturbing part of this story is what I never hear or read people discuss...and that is the shocking plague of inner city teens carrying handguns. Just recently, a 15 year old in Columbus shot another teen in the head outside of a mall computer store during an argument. They were brothers! His brother is critical and may not survive. Where are they getting these handguns? Are they even doing back tracing? Why are we not being told the story of the federal handgun back trace on these weapons? Is it because the weapons are purchased by their parents or relatives? We all know there is a substantial black market illegal trade in the back streets of our cities and something should be done about it, but nothing is. Why? If all of us law abiding citizens are required to fill out federal paperwork and pass federal background checks and be at least 21 years of age, why are inner city teens able to obtain handguns so easily? And, don't blame it on gun shows. I attend many gun shows and I do not see teens attempting to do illegal sales. Something else is happening here and I want to know what it is!

17walter_sobchak(1750 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Just read Ernie Brown's column about Black History Month past, present. Unfortunately, the one black individual that was having a positive influence on the community is dead while five other "history makers" have their mugshots on the front page, being fine role models for the "gansta" lifestyle!

18sabrinadjones(3 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Falconeddy... It wouldn't sound so racist if you would just say some people need to change their values and start puttting more attention to the need of the family... That's what's wrong woth the world today. As a community we don't say malestation of young family members, or teens committing suicide, white collar crimes, priest malestations, children murdering parents / or grandparents is a caucasian problem. Although those statistics are higher in the white race than black. I speak with my 2 young African American male children about all the wickeds of the world because I can't say nor act as though these are only subject to certain races. Jamail was a beautiful spirited man living a very successful life. I surely didn't expect that horrific phone call 5:00am Sunday morning... We have to acknowledge that this crime has no limits.. I realize this now . Our family have values and walk in faith daily but it still hit us. This tragedy has made me want to get involved in my community and see where I can help.
I understand your concerns and frustrations. However, let's not allow these young mens actions to divide us..

19sabrinadjones(3 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

People, I am a teacher in an Alternative setting. Please take note that not all of the African American children can't read... They hear the negative talk about our young people and it doesn't lift them up at all. Not all of our young African American family/ children are criminals...

20Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

sabrinadjones :
"Not all of our young African American family/ children are criminals... "

You're right but far too many times the criminals are looked up to .

21George412(161 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

"Here we go again....animals are not just young black suspects, animals are ANY low life creature that preys on INNOCENT victims no matter what color, race, sex, age, religion, etc. So don't even bother going there. Read my past comments and you'll see. Drop the politically correct bit because it won't work."

People meant people, not necessarily you, so don't be so defensive. And we both know there is no shortage of racism on these threads, so don't even bother going there. I'm a fairly privileged white person, but I know racism when I see it.

22yeahright(20 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

The matter is not race, but the fact of MR. GAINS AND ANOTHER PLEA BARGAIN! When are we going to wake up and tell Gains to either do his job or resign? I swear, he's afraid to take criminals to court. Criminals know the worse the crime, the sweeter the plea. No wonder the crime rate here is so high. He needs to take lessons from Dennis Watkins.

23George412(161 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Maybe, but we can't rule out the possibility that Rogers didn't shoot anyone that night. The charges may have been dropped because they should have been dropped. Innocent until proven guilty. Has the murder weapon even been found yet?

24QPsiKeith(8 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I believe that at this point, I want to find out more before passing judgement on Braylon or anyone else.

25Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

georgie

"People meant people, not necessarily you, so don't be so defensive"

Me, defensive, hardly.

"And we both know there is no shortage of racism on these threads, so don't even bother going there."

Never said there wasn't racism, did I? There are all kinds of racism, with every race, sex, religion, etc.

""I'm a fairly privileged white person, but I know racism when I see it.""

I could care less if your white,black,yellow,blue, pink, etc. You show me where the racism is in what I wrote? It's so funny no matter what you say it's racism or politically incorrect. Well georgie, until you understand what exactly is racism, everything will be racism to you. Pitiful.

26George412(161 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

lifey, lifey, lifey

Settle down or you're (not your) going to need your (not you're) heart medication!

I didn't say YOU wrote anything racist on this thread, but it's interesting that you would continue to insist that I did.

Methinks he doth protest too much.

Time to call in the alter egos. Who's on deck tonight?

27Lifes2Short(3867 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

george

LOL - After I posted what I wrote I reread everything, and yep, I made a mistake....I was wrong. Twisted around what you wrote. I apologize, all good.

28PhilMcCrackin(58 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

29sweetiepie(15 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

When will we learn? another innocent good young man doing the right thing as a mentor, student and active member in church murdered by some other young men whom have taken the well traveled path to nowhere. please, somebody help me understand why? we have heard the story about I never knew my father,my mother was addicted to drugs, I have to make a choice between going to school and feeding myself and siblings,I can't find a job I must hustle. The church light is dim but the one place our young men don't look is to the one person they can not see and that's our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ. If they can just believe that trouble don't last always and their strength lies dormant within, our young men can unlock that demon that is destroying their families & themselves. I have hope that our young men will have Faith that they can do all things through Christ. FOR HE IS GREATER IN YOU THAN HE IS IN THE WORLD! Life is what you make it whether you want to use it to lift yourself and others around you up or you believe I don't have nothing to live for. Each and everyone of us are created by God and we all have a purpose and unless you believe that then it's impossible to wrap your mind around the fact that a rose can grow out of concrete!

30overrated1(7 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Welp one's off the hook. Who's gonna be next?