Accused of stabbings, man claims ‘a setup’


Associated Press

NEW YORK

A man accused of going on a 28-hour stabbing rampage through the city shouted that he was the victim of a “setup” as he was led from a police station Sunday.

Maksim Gelman was arraigned in Brooklyn Criminal Court on charges that he hacked three people to death, then stalked the city for more than a day, attacking strangers, hijacking vehicles and killing a pedestrian with a car.

He did not speak as he stood shackled at the ankles and arms.

Public defender Michael Baum, who represented Gelman at the arraignment, said he could not shed any light on Gelman’s mental state during the time police say he was committing the crimes, but he described his client Sunday evening as “calm” and “rational.”

“He’s very concerned about the nature of the charges,” Baum said.

A small throng of Brooklyn residents taunted Gelman as he was escorted out of a police precinct.

The 23-year-old cursed and yelled back that it “was a setup.”

Gelman was arraigned on charges of second-degree murder, robbery and assault in the Brooklyn attacks. He was being held without bail. He likely will face charges in Manhattan for an attack on a subway train passenger before he was arrested Saturday morning.

Police said Gelman’s terror spree ended after he was captured on the subway train beneath Times Square. After dodging officers by dashing across the tracks, Gelman pounded on the door of the compartment of a moving train and demanded that the driver let him in, authorities said.

Then, he turned and attacked a passenger, stabbing him before two police officers who had been riding with the driver sprang to his aid, they said.

More like this from vindy.com

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.