Man gets 60 days, probation in bat attack

Published: Wed, February 9, 2011 @ 12:04 a.m.

photo

Charles Etto

By Elise Franco

efranco@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

An Austintown man has been sentenced to two months in jail and five years’ probation for his role in a violent confrontation between his son and another boy.

Charles Etto, 40, of South Edgehill Avenue, was sentenced Tuesday by Judge R. Scott Krichbaum of Mahoning County Common Pleas Court to 60 days in Mahoning County jail followed by five years’ probation on a felony charge of complicity to commit aggravated assault and a probation violation from previous drug-trafficking and child-endangering charges.

Etto originally was charged with felonious assault Oct. 14, 2010, for handing his son a baseball bat during a Sept. 27 fight outside the family’s residence.

Judge Krichbaum said in reviewing the case, it seems as though Etto was protecting his son, Derek Etto, 16, from a would-be attacker.

“What do you do when someone comes to your house to beat up your kid?” Judge Krichbaum asked in court Tuesday. “I’ll be damned if I’m going to retreat from my own home if someone comes to attack me.”

Derek Etto is accused of hitting a 15-year-old classmate in the head with the bat — sending him to the hospital with severe injuries.

The victim went to the Etto home intending to fight the younger Etto, and punched him in the head before Derek Etto hit him with the bat, according to police reports.

Derek Etto was charged as a juvenile with felonious assault, and pleaded guilty Jan. 24 in juvenile court to an amended charge of aggravated assault. He is scheduled for a sentencing hearing Monday.

Charles Etto, who addressed the court just before the sentencing was announced, said he was remorseful for what happened.

“I’m very sorry this young man was injured, and I’m relieved he’s back in school and doing well,” he said. “It all happened so fast that I had no time to think. My only thought was for my son’s safety.”

Judge Krichbaum said that though some blame lies with the victim for initiating the altercation, Etto was still in violation of the law.

“The defendant is on probation of this court, and should behave with conduct higher than that of someone not on probation,” he said. “I have to make you understand that when you’re on probation, you can’t be anywhere near trouble.”

Comments

1palbubba(664 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Another slap on the wrist for another repeat offender. Anyone wonder why crime is running rampant in the valley?

2PhilMcCrackin(58 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't get this. Maybe I'm missing something. Repeat offender,felon,rapist,murderer,or whatever.
This victim comes to onto this guys property to start a premeditated fight. He starts the fight by hitting the other kid in the head.The other kid then protects himself and he is now the criminal. I understand all that crap about how you are only able to use the same force as your attacker. I'll tell you what, tho. You come onto my property and threaten me, and I have to believe that you are intending do do me great bodily harm, I'm just going back in the house to get my two friends. Smith and Wesson.

3Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Hes a idiot judge but speaks the truth here.

4ichaoskarma(7 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

I bet the PUNK that initiated this conflict wont be showing up at anyones door intent on violence anytime soon.
Case Closed

5Silence_Dogood(1356 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

If a DOZEN teenage kids showed up on my property and started hitting MY kid in the head there would be a dozen kids at the hospital having buckshot removed from thier bodies.
Krichbaum is a hypocrite to find this guy guilty for defending his family and then saying “I’ll be damned if I’m going to retreat from my own home if someone comes to attack me.”

6lilgandee(103 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree to what was said above, he came with a gang and if dad didn't give him the bat odds are it would have been a free 4 all on that kid. He should not get anmore time than they already go. Neither of them should have got any charges. I would protect. My kid 2 n if you come 4 a fight you get whatever is necessary.

7southsidedave(4784 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Should tie him up to a post and beat him with a bat.