UPDATED: Two arrested after early-morning shooting near YSU

Published: Sun, February 6, 2011 @ 6:26 p.m.

Police arrested two Youngstown men in their early twenties Sunday afternoon who are believed to have opened fire at an off-campus house, killing one man and injuring 11 others early Sunday.

One of the victims, fraternity member Jamail Jackson, 25, of Youngstown, had escorted one of the two men out of the house a short time before the gunfire and was fatally wounded.

Police Chief Jimmy Hughes said the department was not ready to release the names of the two suspects until after more interviews were conducted with witnesses.

Hughes said he expected their names would be released later Sunday or Monday, but neither man had an extensive criminal record.

Each has been charged with murder and 11 counts of felonious assault.

Hughes said one of the men turned himself in at the Youngstown Police Department Sunday afternoon and the other one was picked up at his home.

Shavai Owens, 17, of Youngstown, was shot in the head and remained in critical condition Sunday night, police said at a press conference.

Johnson, 25, was was a student at the university YSU officials said earlier Sunday.

Capt. Rod Foley, Youngstown police, said an unknown number of people had attended the party at 55 Indiana Ave. that lasted into the early-morning hours Sunday.

The 10 wounded in the shooting are expected to fully recover. According to a campus alert issued this morning, six of the wounded were students and were treated at St. Elizabeth Medical Center.

YSU spokesman Ron Cole said many of the students shot were members of a sanctioned YSU fraternity who lived in a private, off-campus house.

Late this afternoon, Police Chief Jimmy Hughes estimated 50 people were inside the home at the time of the shooting, including some as young as 17. he also said there were no previous problems at the Indiana Avenue location.

The statement also said YSU President Cynthia Anderson met at the hospital today with injured students and their families. Counselors and clergy will be made available on campus.

“I want to express my deepest sympathies to the family of the student who died in this tragic act of violence, and to ask everyone to keep him and the other students in their thoughts and prayers,” Anderson said in the alert to the campus community. “It is a sad day for the YSU family.”

In a statement subsequently released by YSU, Mayor Jay Williams said "The Youngstown Police Department is actively pursuing leads in this case. I am fully confident that they will identify, apprehend and bring to justice the individuals who are responsible."

VICTIMS’ LIST

Dead and wounded

The Youngstown Police Department has released this list of the dead and injured from Sunday’s shootings in a house on Indiana Avenue near the campus of Youngstown State University. Six of the victims were YSU students. All are from Youngstown except one Girard victim. All but three had been treated and released from St. Elizabeth Health Center as of late Sunday afternoon.

Jamail Johnson, 25, 55 Indiana Ave., Youngstown, died from gunshot wound.

Durrell Richardson, 31, 410 Elruth Court, Girard, shot in left thigh.

Shavai Owens, 17, Youngstown, shot in right ear, critical condition late Sunday afternoon.

Jaleesa Moore, 20, Youngstown, shot in the arm and abdomen.

Sean Griffin, 20, Youngstown, shot in the foot.

Ebony Michel, 20, Youngstown, shot in the foot.

Jordon Wagner, 20, Youngstown, shot in the shoulder and foot.

Tejohn Lawrence, 19, Youngstown, shot in the foot.

Jamie Ruffin, 20, Youngstown, shot in the pelvis.

D’Anthony Brown, 17, Youngstown, shot in the foot.

Lisetle Encarnacion, 19, Youngstown, shot in the buttocks.

Selina Howard, 17, Youngstown, abrasion wound to the wrist.

Source: Youngstown Police Department

For further updates on this evolving story, watch Vindy.com and see Monday's Vindicator.

Comments

1valleyred(1097 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Oh shut your mouth Brown. The shooting happened off campus on the North Side at a frat house in the middle of the night. Only 10% of the students at YSU even live on campus.

2nodice(68 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

It doesn't matter if it was YSU time or not....they were YSU students. It doesn't matter that the frat house wasn't on campus.....it still speaks to the current state of YSU.

3valleyred(1097 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Current State at YSU? I've been attending Youngstown State for 3 years now and prior to that, was right next to YSU's campus at Ursuline. I have never felt unsafe or threatened when down there... Not a single time.

4HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

How sad that the ignorant and misguided would try to lay blame for this violent act at YSU. Try to remember the victim who lost his life and his family, and those who were injured. If this incident had happened in Boardman or Poland, you would be singing a different tune. Godspeed to the victims, and godspeed to our community who for far too long has been plagued by senseless gun violence.

5aztek519(29 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Seriously Brown, you dont think this type of stuff happens on other college campuses? I NEVER felt unsafe while I was at YSU and I often took evening classes which meant I was walking around in the dark. Crime happens at all colleges, not just YSU.

6mrshow33(16 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

There was a shooting at the Love Lounge (just show your I.D.) a half an hour before this took place. Youngstown seems to fluff this off because of the "growing city concept" and also because of the ownership of the "club".

7nodice(68 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

If you walk around anywhere in Youngstown and many parts of Boardman and feel "safe", you are not being realistic.

Youngstown is not a safe city in general.

YSU is in the center of it.

I graduated from YSU 20 years ago. Not the same campus.

8mauzy006(14 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

@ all of you idiots it doesn't matter whether it was a Frat house, on or off campus my brother got killed and he wasn't no criminal he was actively pursuing a degree at YSU, never been arrested NOTHING but but if it happened at the COUNTRY CLUB in your back yard it would be a issue then, RIGHT?.....R.I.P. Jamail "J ROC" Johnson

9redvert(2065 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

If the article is correct, this was not a frat house, it was a private residence. The only link to YSU is that some of the people shot were YSU students. The truth may be that when someone heard that there were a number of students wounded that it must of automatically been a frat party.

You know what they say about assuming!!!

10Church(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I feel horrible for all of the victims. I am a ysu alum and was in a fraternity off campus. I have since moved WELL out of state, and feel no need to sugar coat this, nor defend youngstown. Face it, ysu is the only thing left besides the hospitals that keep that city afloat. Youngstown is a TURD. Sorry people, but since I no longer live there, I do not feel responsible for "defending her honor" and making excuses for it's people, serving only to ease my personal conscience burden of validating my choice to continue living there. When I was at ysu, yes there were some problems, but never like this. What will probably emerge, will be a local, non-ysu, youngstown citizen as the perpetrator, who went to a local party. No college student should/would be willing to risk their monetary or family college obligation for this type of crime.

11metrodawg(70 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

So sad that people can be so ignorant in times of tragedy. If you can't be sympathetic, be quiet.

12chickabe(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

mauzy006 I am so sorry this has happened. I am thinking of you and your family with tears and heartache for you.

13Carol2(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

People are ignorant, tragedy or no tragedy: "...that it must *of* automatically been a frat party."

14Tyler(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

frato, It happened at 55 INDIANA, not 55 Indianola. I have friends in Sigma Chi and Alpha Phi Delta fraternities and they both have houses on Indiana. There is also a black fraternity house of the street and I've heard conflicting stories if this occurred at this house or not.

15ammielittke(6 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

@Mauzy006 - I am so sorry for your loss. Don't listen to these people that ALWAYS have something negative to say about Youngstown. Your brother was well liked by most of the community and he will be honored. Many are mourning this loss with you, you are not alone. Don't let these people with nothing better to do ruin the heartfelt emotions those who care share with you.

16northlimadawg(7 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

The address is 55 Indiana on the north side near YSU.

17mikogni(5 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Please chill until the facts come out. This is a tragic event. Can we console the families before we start blaming people?

18ysumom(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Mauzy006, I just want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I have two children who attend YSU and I can not imagine what your family is going through. May God bless you

19Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

@church

And where you live is paradise, huh? No problems, no issues, jobs galore, no crime, sunshine everyday and you keep your doors unlocked thur the night, children can play in the streets till way after dark, schools have 100% attendance and all are on the honor roll, just peachy clean and picture perfect. Bet you even have a white picket fence in your yard.

Dream on, buddy. It's a jungle out there, everywhere, in the good ole USA.

20anothermike(211 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Never ceases to amaze me the way the media presents their reports. Very unfortunate thing to happen, but why all the hype about YSU?? Didn't happen on campus, just close to YSU. Also close to Ursuline high, Butler art institute, City Hall, Federal plaza, etc. Only an idiot would "bad rap" the University because of this terrible incident........

21jordolives(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

YSU is not a safe campus, a friend of mine just had his wallet stolen, ysu police have video of it and they won't arrest him. Then this week we accused him of stealing it and he got in the face of a kid and started shaking his head on camera, and YSU poilice won't arrest him for violence. (now mind you this all these events took place inside YSUs' campus dorms) Now if a YSU dorm campus with a zero tolerance on violence is allowing this to happen, now imagine what else is being allowed to happen with YSUs' consent.

22rich31791(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

This house was Sigma Chi,but I thought it was sold in 2005 to a private party.

According to Mahoning County real estate web site

23YSU2(17 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

When did the alert go out to the campus. I have two on campus and they never got the alert. They have noticed a very large police present now but no alert went out on campus after the shooting. I see this as a big problem Cynthia Anderson.

24Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

When the full story comes to light, I want to see how many of the shooters were YSU students. The article said they were exchanging gunfire. My guess is MAYBE one was a shooter, but I'm waiting to see. My gut feeling is(and I am sure that I will be attacked for saying it) that there were college kids there who are in school because they want to do something with their lives and get away from the chaos and violence that comes from the streets but they still associate with thugs or with those who associate with thugs from the streets. You put a bunch kids in a house and add alcohol and thugs carrying guns, and it is a recipe for disaster. And again, I will be attacked for saying it, but to make a better life, you have to do more than go to college and learn what books teach you, you have to "unlearn" basically what the streets teach you about what a man is, settling your disagreements with guns and violence, and about taking care of your kids,etc.

25blkpride(186 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

@ Those who are saying that YSU and Youngstown are "dumps,"

Please let me know when you find the utopia where there is no crime or any horrific acts done by evil individuals. When you do, please move there. Until then try to be a part of the solution and do not sit around on your thumb complaining and pointing fingers. Youngstown is not the only place in the world that has these problems. You might know this if you ever traveled outside of your little box called Boardman, Canfield, Boardman and Austintown with horrific problems of their own that you naysayers tend to forget ever happened or brush under the Youngstown umbrella because you are too lily WHITE to admit that those problems are yours. Drugs, prostitution, homicide, theft, adultery, drunken driving incidents are a few of the sins that have been committed in your Utopia that have caused loss of life and property. I could go on but I think even your naive suburban thought process might be able to conclude that the same problems occur other places with just as much frequency as Youngstown, if not more. It is funny when a major incident happens in a suburb of this area it is listed as happening in Youngstown instead of the suburb that is all to quick to claim the "good" that happens in their fiefdom.

Further, many other places that you would think are utopic and are not dumps have their problems as well. Virginia Tech, Harvard and Yale have, in the not too distant past, experienced themselves the horrendous acts humanity can intact on itself. This is not a problem that is not unique to just Youngstown. This is a problem of humanity that will never be resolved as long as humanity continues to accept the status quo of its current morals and life choices that all contribute to its downfall. Since this change will never happen while man assumes he has control over his destiny, evil and sickness will continue to prevail and humanity will continue to suffer. I am sure that Youngstown will also continue to be blamed for the ills of the world.

26aztek519(29 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I would hardly call a stolen wallet a violent crime, neither is shaking your head on camera.

27blkpride(186 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

@ Those who are saying that YSU and Youngstown are "dumps,"

Further, many other places that you would think are utopic and are not dumps have their problems as well. Virginia Tech, Harvard and Yale have, in the not too distant past, experienced themselves the horrendous acts humanity can intact on itself. This is not a problem that is unique to just Youngstown. This is a problem of humanity that will never be resolved as long as humanity continues to accept the status quo of its current morals and life choices that all contribute to its downfall. Since this change will never happen while man assumes he has control over his destiny, evil and sickness will continue to prevail and humanity will continue to suffer. I am sure that Youngstown will also continue to be blamed for the ills of the world.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the victims of this incident as well as the Youngstown Police Department who consistanty works diligently to protect us and bring these evil doers to justice. Thank you for your service and the sacrifices that your make.

28ValleyNative(174 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Such a sad story. No one deserves to be shot.

To jump to the image aspect, this will only make suburbanites (which I can admit I am- Canfield) feel less inclined to head down to Youngstown. I graduated from YSU a couple years ago and never felt unsafe there, but images just cannot be broken. Those who just call Youngstown a violent dump will feel vindicated- sadly, at the death of a young man.

29Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

We need to teach our kids to stay out of the wrong areas of town. Most areas close around the campus that are off campus are not areas our kids should be hanging out in. We need to teach them that if you go to a party where there are thugs or underage drinking to leave.

30blkpride(186 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

@aztek519,

What about prostitution and drugs in a hotel in Clanfield. Two recent homicides in Austintown that I can think of and again thank you for proving my point that, "It is funny when a major incident happens in a suburb of this area it is listed as happening in Youngstown instead of the suburb that is all to quick to claim the "good" that happens in their fiefdom."

"Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones!"

31ailierdroit(106 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

The house is occupied by members of the Omega Psi Phi fraternity. It was the first black national fraternal organization formed. Ironcially, they are celebrating their 100th anniversary this year. Sad. My prayer and condolences to all affected.

On a side note, after watching the press conference on 21, I've confirmed what I've suspected all along; Ron Cole is a pathetic Dir. of Communications at YSU. He's poor in preparing and providing information that he can address with the media and is a horrible communicator.

32SharonC614(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Our deepest sympathy goes out to the family of the deceased..the families of those injured..and the staff and students at YSU. It doesnt matter if it happened on campus or off campus it happened to a close knit school and community. It doesnt matter if they were white, black, purple or green it was a life taken for senseless matters. Again our sympathies out to the family and friends of the life taken and to everyone else involved.

33blkpride(186 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

@ Laurieljc

Sad thing is that they know the "wrong areas of town" and flock to them for parties, drinking and drugs. Thus, suburbia's contribution to the urban plight of Youngstown.

34FifthAve(168 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

"I graduated from YSU 20 years ago. Not the same campus."

No, it's much, much better today.

35Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

"According to the university alert, "[YSU] Police Chief John Gocala reports that there is no threat to campus. As a precaution, YSU police has increased its presence on campus."

So getting shot is not a threat ?

36clog1760(12 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

First I want to say How sad I am for the family of the young man shot to death. I pray that they find comfort in his life and the memories they have. Second I am sick of everyone always putting down the Suburbs, Crime happens everywhere and just because we live in the suburbs it doesnt make us better, we are just trying to get better educations for our children, better housing for our families and why should we be put down for that. I love the city of Youngstown and I dont fear walking around downtown, I have more fear walking around Boardman Walmart and its parking lots. No place is safe, this was a group of young people having a party on a Saturday night, it goes on in every city and every college, this should not happen no matter where it was located, So city or suburb lets remember the real issue, this young man lost his life and it was senseless

37Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Ensonic, I agree. There needs to be more good male role models out there. We need to start in the home. And then we can start with the rappers. Because it isnt just a black issue. So many people from the ages of 8-30 (male and female of all ethnicities) look up to them. They dress like them, talk like them, want to be with them or be them These rappers influence our kids more than you realize. When the rappers have no respect for women, glorify drugs and alcohol and violence, theft, murder, no respect for police or themselves and they give those messages to hundreds of thousands of our people every day, what do you think the end result of it is going to be? Does this have something to do with what happened on Indiana Avenue? It sure does! And I am angry about it!

38YSUStudent(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

After reading these comments, I can see anyone with negative things to say about YSU has not been on campus lately. I have NEVER felt threatened while attending classes (even night classes!) Please take time to remember the people who were hurt, and the family of the student that was killed. Trying to rip apart YSU, YSU Police, Dr. Anderson...none of this is going to change the fact that someone made a horrible decision and will have to live with that forever. YSU and Youngstown are not to blame, the person who shot the gun is.

39ggate(2 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

ensonic I doubt you are an African American. You want to say stupid things and get a pass on this board. What's your real name Clayton Bixsby. Your life experiences are not from the black community. Stop lying.

40Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

ok hm...that was heartless. You say "decent people dont worry about this happening". You better start worrying because if these are YSU kids are partying with people who solve their issues with murder, then it can and will eventually overflow onto campus. Do you think that thugs are really afraid of the YSU police? And think about some of the areas that border the campus. Your kid may end up an innocent victim of crime just trying to get to campus! You are correct to say that 25 years old is old enough to know better, and I am sure that you are old enough to no better than to make a heartless comment about 12 problems solved. No respect for human life is something you and the shooter seem to have in common!

41Askmeificare(700 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Condolences to the victims families.

The City of Youngstown, Mahoning County, The State of Ohio - Need a catalyst to catapault criminals out of our community. We need someone to take on the ACLU and pass legislation that would be in the interest of lowlife thugs to move out of our community.

42ggate(2 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

hm299, I guess you are correct it was too far off campus for white students, I almost forgot they do their shooting on campus. This is truly sad.

43PHISHIE(105 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Did Jamail work in a retail store in Boardman. I thought I saw him there???
Phishie

44Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

There are some here are in the position to be GOOD MALE ROLE MODELS. I would love to see you get involved in the community to make a change. Changing the life of one kid can result in a change in many lives!

45atownreader(34 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree that the Ron Cole press conference was a waste. I have heartfelt sympathy for the victims of this senseless act. I am also tired of the blame game attitude. By the way, VINDY proofreaders, where is "YSY" ( caption on cover story)

46north_side_girl(213 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

uh, do you remember the white fraternity that was banned from ysu forever when one of the members crushed another guy's skull with a cinderblock? it doesn't matter if they're white or black, booze + dozens of macho guys = fighting

47PHISHIE(105 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

What was Jamail's major?? None of you apparently know him so shu up.

Phishie

48Time2Take(13 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I think it is time to take back the raises in the Gaine's Mahoning County Courthouse and open and fill the jails with #$#* scum that continues to play gangtsa. This is not a YSU problem, but a Ytown problem. And when we are shown what #$#* scum did this, this will not be a YSU student. I am a very proud to be a YSU graduate that encourges the hiring of YSU students. Go Pens. Die Scum

49Ucan2(8 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

To those of you that want to criticize the things that happen in youngstown your no better that the person responsible for this. I personally have know Jamail for over 10 years and he was a good person he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was not a thug, drug dealer or anything like that, he worked and went to school he graduated from Liberty High School and was a star on the schools Baseball team so lets stop all the negative talk someone lost there life and his family is grieving so show some sort of respect for the family.

50Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

51Ypsi(57 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

@ensonic... in what areas of study, exactly, do you have two bachelor's degrees?

I'll hazard a guess that neither of them is an English degree. I'd be embarrassed to brag about my level of education if I wrote as poorly as you do.

52hurrdurr(98 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

The Ron Cole presser was a waste. In a situation like this, the school president has to be out front - not some media relations lap dog.

53HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

From what I just heard at the YPD press conference, Mr. Johnson sounds like a hero to me. He had escorted several party goers out after their behavior got out of hand. Those escorted out came back with guns and opened fire on the party. Not sure if they targeted Mr. Johnson or not...but the YPD sure implied Mr. Johnson was the "peace keeper" for this event. Prayers and blessings to his family and friends.

54eeb(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

What happened should of never happened to anyone but we don't live in a perfect world. It don't matter if he was a YSU student he was a person just like you and I.... I read all the post and some of them are dead wrong and needs to stop. This didn't happen on campus grounds but 5 blocks over YSU isn't a bad university and for the the people who keep saying hoodlum,gangsta, or thug you don't have to be any of those names to do the crime that just happened. Illinois University(shooter: Zach Isaccmam-student) University of Texas (shooter: Colton Tooley a student University of Alabama (shooter: Dr. Amy Bishop a professor) Ohio State (shooter: Nathanie Brown a school janitor... For Jamail's family, don't worry about what people are saying on here some of the people on here say anything they want because they know it's the internet and they can get away with it on here but they can't say how they really feel in person or in public so just let them ACT all bad we know the truth.......

55TheWitch(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

@mauzy006; I am sorry for your loss.

The police have the two men in custody, one turned himself in, the other they picked up. It was not a planed party, it was a frat house, the two arrested were not students, but were at the party. One man got out of hand and was escorted out the door, the other left willingly, both came back within minutes with guns. This had nothing to do with YSU or Youngstown. This was two men with very bad judgement.

5644509resident(46 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Some of you are so ignorant, all that matters is the fact that innocent people were harmed (1 being my brother). From my understanding, the victim was a YSU frat student, but YSU did not own the property at the time. It was just a bunch of frat boys who lived together and split the cost. In previous years, the property was owned by YSU. The media wants to make this into a "campus shooting" to get attention, but this is not the attention that Youngstown needs. If this was a so called school shooting then YSU should pay for the funeral. The victim was not a thug, like the other victims he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. No different from being in a mall and there is a mass shooting. So before any of you post your negative and racist remarks you need to be careful because it could be your child next.

57thebz(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

To everyone defending ytown. Grown is a complete craphole. It is ranked among the worst places to live in the united states. There are constant thefts, murders and rapes. There is much better places as you all say there is not. Mcdonald poland and ridge are just a few. Look at citydata.com that shows it all. Its a joke when you can buy a 5 bedroom huge house for 20000 in ytown. You guys defend it because obviously you're stuck living there still. Im sorry for you and hope you can move somewhere worth mentioning soon. Ytown has the school and pretty much nothing else. So yes I'll stick with my nice town and you can keep defending Ytown.

It is very sad what has happened hear. My prayers are with the family. Im sorry for your loss.

58southsidedave(4780 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Violence permeates our society; not safe anywhere at any time!!

59Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Those who underestimate the violent nature of Youngstown have a much greater chance of becoming victims .

6044509resident(46 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

alot of the victims were 17 and why was a 31 year old there with them?

61QPsiKeith(8 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

The whole thing sounds sad to me. My concern is that either the fraternity or the university will be dragged thru the mud, when the true problem here is the criminal & immoral behavior of the savage who perpetrated this crime.

62candystriper(575 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

story has been picked up by the AP wire
well written and very sensitive to those involved

63xytown(63 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

From MOB Town to Gang Town... Sad very sad...

64blondey0o6(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

it is absolutely ludicrous for people to link YSU to this crime...

Lovely just lovely.... who wants to go to YSU now ???

Actually, a lot of people do and will continue to do so. I have been at YSU for four years now and have never once felt threatened. Then again, i do not hang out around there at three am. Especially not when i was seventeen years old. Guess my parents had actual rules for me. Maybe people should blame time and place instead of the fact that these victims went/currently go to YSU.

Also, Jimmy Hughes is our police chief, like it or not, and has done much good in our city, and will continue. You people are seriously going to make fun of how our chief of police talks? I guess all of you are perfect. Whats funny though, is if he had saved YOUR life, you sure wouldnt be laughing in his face would you?

I send my condolences to Jamail's family. He seemed to be a very nice young man, no criminal records etc. Its truly sad what happened, both to his family and the city of Youngstown. And also YSU because i am sure it will be dragged through the mud because of this.

65fess2it(30 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Considering the fact that this party continued well into the night why were there 17 year olds there? The parents are to blame for these children being shot. These is no way I would let my 17 year old hang out with 25 year olds especially at a party, and yes, mine attends YEC.

66Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

thecanimalshusband

"I agree YSU is dangerous and full of thugs. The entire city if gang infested with lowlifes."

Just Youngstown? You must not get out much to different cities or you must live in isolation or actually read or watch news, because you would see it's everywhere, not just Youngstown.

Amazing, huh, that there is a world out there?

67ytown01(21 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Sorry to hear this has happened. May God Bless those who are involved or who have lost someone. I was born and raised in ytown but unfortunately I had to leave to secure my financial future. To those that continue to attack the city I say be part of the solution or say nothing at all. To those that continue the fight I say God helps those who help themselves. Good Luck and continue the fight. Youngstown is worth the effort

68andyd269(2 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

While I am dismayed at Youngstown making negative news headlines again, I am more so disgusted by the violence that has continued to plague our and many other inner cities. Generations of youth have grown up accepting the fact, “I’m black and I’m screwed!” and have governed their lives accordingly. They have taken the low road not because it’s easy, but because they believe it’s the only one available.

Now I don’t know Jamail Johnson, but he was going to graduate soon. And I have a hunch that he didn’t accept the stereotypes that others both in and outside of his neighborhood did. I bet the person(s) who ended his life didn’t care much about their own life or their family’s. If one black man can make it to the White House, why couldn’t this YSU fraternity brother make it graduation. This s#*t's gotta stop!

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Two Arrested in Fatal Frat Party Shooting - Pittsburgh Outdoor Recreation | Examiner.comhttp://www.examiner.com/outdoor-recre...

69Spirit(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

@ Mauzy006..I am so sorry for your lost. I can olny imagine what you're going thru. I just lost my father a few weeks ago and it still hurts til this day. All the sorrow, the hurt, the pain will only get better in time. I hurt for you and your family cause I know its not easy to handel the lose of a loved one. Just Know that My Thoughts and Prayers goes out to you and your Family. May God Bless You.

Give all your worries to him because He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

70330YO(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Very impressed that Dr. Anderson took the time to visit the neighborhood and walk a crime scene. This took place nowhere near campus. Students need not worry.
Does anyone see anything wrong with a bunch of 17 year olds out partying at 3:40 am? What was a 25 year old doing fraternizing with 17 year olds? No one was drinking age. When is the mayor and the police chief going to address the fact that the majority of killers in this community
are young black males from the south side. This is fact. The police need to focus attention to the
south side. The violence is now trickling out to
unexpected areas.
I am always so sad and astonished every time I
hear of young men killing each other. It is such a terrible waste of life and potential.

71luvlove(9 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Parents of teenagers and adult children won't you start today to talk to your children..
Sometimes it's hard to open up and continue to teach the differences between right and wrong..
The fear one must have to carry a weapon.

Start with that discussion...today

72Valleys_Voice(149 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Jamail was in Business Administration, a graduating senior. We had class together. R.I.P.

73Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

The city needs to build many housing units and offer them rent free with free utilities . The minimum requirements should be either a criminal record or having a career of being unemployed . Having relatives in prison should be a plus .

74hellokitty(161 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

My sincerest thoughts and prayers to ALL involved, but most especially to the family, friends, YSU Community, and others who have suffered the terrible loss of Jamail.

Mauzy006, I feel your pain...stay strong and take comfort in the knowledge that Jamail is now with Jesus. (I realize how trite that can sound when somebody has just lost a brother, so I apologize in advance, and I hope you know where my heart is)

75fedup2010(18 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

mauzy006
My heart and prays go out to you and your family..May God grant you peace and comfort

76Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

hoodrathunt :

"Isn't this what the varied repeat slum lords are known for in Youngstown?"

According to the subculture,landlords are stealing much needed money for street medication from the oppressed . This in turn triggers solicitations AKA ROBBERIES in the city .

77watchingthepolitics(97 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

AND THE BEAT GOES ON

78dateline111(41 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

hellokitty? You claim this deceased sorority brother who was Gun downed at a YSU frat party with teenage girls, booze, drugs and violence at 4:00 am on THE LORDS DAY IS NOW IN HEAVEN WITH JESUS?Will someone explain how he pulled that off.I'm certain Youngstown's corrupt local clergy will convince all the gullible funeral attendees that their beloved frat brother is walking on the streets of gold. Don't be deceived by these charlatans, Hell is a real place!