UPDATE: State bans injection wells within 5 miles of Youngstown site

Published: Sat, December 31, 2011 @ 9:52 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN

The Mahoning Valley ended 2011 with a deafening bang.

The new year promises to be more quiet.

After a 4.0 magnitude earthquake struck shortly after 3 p.m. on New Year’s Eve, Ohio banned injection wells within five miles of a Youngstown brine-injection well suspected of causing 11 earthquakes this year.

“Public safety is paramount in our decision-making in this process. Our top concern is for the health and safety of our residents,” said Gov. John Kasich spokesman Rob Nichols.

Saturday’s temblor rattled residents from Cortland to Canton to Canfield.

It was felt to the northern border of Trumbull County, in the Shenango Valley in Pennsylvania, even as far as Buffalo, N.Y.

The earthquake was originally determined to be centered near Oregon and Florida avenues in McDonald, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

However, the epicenter was later revised to state Route 711 near the Mahoning River, near the D&L injection well.

It is the 11th quake in the Valley this year.

Andy Ware, deputy director at the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, said that Mike Hansen, state seismologist, was looking at the data Saturday.

Hansen said there could be more earthquakes as it could take days or weeks for the underground brine pressure to subside.

The quake shook up State Rep. Robert F. Hagan of Youngstown, D-60th, who renewed his call for a stop to drilling.

“I’m calling on the governor for an immediate moratorium on all drilling in the state of Ohio,” Hagan told The Vindicator Saturday. “This is just getting out of hand.

“You can’t have 11 earthquakes and just say it’s natural.”

Hagan was ironing his son’s shirt for his New Year’s Eve party when the quake struck.

“We thought somebody fell down the stairs with a dresser,” he said. “We ran out, looked around, and I said ‘That was an earthquake.’”

Mitchell Gold of the Lamont-Doherty Cooperative Seismic Network from Columbia University, said the 4.0 earthquake had a preliminary depth of about 2.2 kilometers However, by about 8 p.m., the USGS had revised that figure to 5 km or 3.1 miles.

The quake came one day after the state ordered D&L Energy Inc. to shut down a brine-injection well in Youngstown.

Leave a comment to share your experiences or to report damage.

Or email us at news@vindy.com.

Comments

1Ytownnative(1035 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

very shllow this time 1.4 miles
this injection well stuff has to go
forget about the jobs and making million dollar companies richer

2green(34 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey ytownnative idiot, they shut down the injection well down yesterday. Don't you read the almighty vindicator?? So, with the well closed, what caused the quake, maybe all that building they're doing at V & M??

3Ytownnative(1035 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

the damage had already been done. Because the well stopped yesterday doesnt mean it wasnt the cause. So the earthquakes that are ALL in the area of an injection well is a co-ink-a-dink

4oldmillspice(160 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

And in the last days there shall be pestilence, earthquakes and other assorted crap
Happy New Year 2012 - The end of the Myan calender

5AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes, Felt The Boom ...I was in Portage County at the time and felt the shake. Near 76 and St Rt 14. Lasting 3-5 seconds.

6Blinz(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I felt the shaking here in Columbiana.....lasted only few seconds...others reported hearing the boom.

7valleymom(38 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Nich & ytown.... There are thousands of brine injection wells being pumped into in the USA 24/7. Are there continuous earthquakes being experienced in all of the areas? I think not. Why don't you guys do a little research before you make fools of ourselves on this board. If you REALLY want to figure out whether injection wells cause earthquakes, do some checking on where all of these wells are and how many quakes are experienced in those areas. I don' t think it will will fit what you want to believe so you you may not want to waste your time. BUT if you have an open mind and want to know the facts research away. Cheers!

8msmickey226(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I live in Boardman and was taking a nap in the bedroom and it felt like my dog had jumped on top of the bed shaking the bed. My husband was in the family room and he was looking out into the backyard and saw a large tree shake. I also believe it has to be connected to all the recent drilling thats been done.

9AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Green, I wonder if V-M building is also causing the earthquakes on Oklahma and Colorado, near their fracking sites. The well was stopped yesterday, not closed.

Again I repeat myself.

More jobs will be created cleaning up the mess the fracking will create for the area.

10onthetown(254 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

valleymom:

it depends on the geology of the specific site.

there were virtually no seismic events in the area for about 10 years, and now we've had 11 within one year with the same epicenter, which just happens to be the brine injection well.

that's more than enough proof.

11GPackwood(35 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Here is the Federal USGS write-up on the earthquake along with similar earthquakes in the past all the way back to the 1800 hundreds.

12tri(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

From Canton. As I laid on my bed reading, the bed shook a little, I had a very queesy stomach feeling, and a slight noise heard. Lasting 3-5seconds. At approx 3:06 pm// as I immediately called the earthquake centor for Ohio. The time is logged on my phone!

13Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Green you have to be a f___ing idiot to think that 24 hours is enough time to disperse all that pressure and weight. The effects will be with us for a while.

14CB05(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

LIVE IN CORTLAND NORTH AIRPORT
LASTED 4-6 SECONDS
SOUNDED LIKE LOW FLYING PLANE SHAKING HOUSE AND SMALL ENGINE FANS MAKING LOW LEVEL NOISE
POSSIBLE MINOR DAMAGE

15valleymom(38 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Onthetown.... One data point does prove any hypothesis. Like I said.... You already have your mind made up, you don't want to learn the facts. Can an injection well cause an earthquake..... Maybe. Do ALL injection wells cause earthquakes..... NO !

16FormerRes(39 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The injection well has nothing to do with the earthquakes. The check is in the mail. I have no recollection of selling those weapons to Iran in exchange for hostages. We now have evidence of WMD in Iraq. We are from the government and are here to help. I did not have sexual relations with that woman... Miss Lewinsky. Read my lips, no new taxes. I am not a Crook! Hope and Change. Have I got a deal for you!

17WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

WHAT AN AFTERNOON! At 3:00PM today my steady and I were just getting relaxed. At 3:04PM it was euphoria and an earth shaking moment! The timing couldn't have been better!

18ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

For those of you who think that these earthquakes are unrelated to the injection well, you're all nuts. Each one of the quakes has been centered within one mile of the well site and in some cases, just a couple of blocks from it. And there has been THREE studies including one from an oil and gas company that proves that deep well drilling can cause earthquakes. After what just happened today and you're still on here saying there is no connection is mind boggling.

19VindyPost(436 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

My dog rarely gets panicked. She jumped up on the couch and nestled next to me for protection.

20ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

And for the guy who thinks because the drilling was stopped that the earth quakes will magically stop too, all I can do is say HAHAHAHA!!!

To that same guy, give me all of your savings and I will turn it into a billion dollars overnight!/s

21velmadoor(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I live near Girard and thought a car hit our house. Many of our neighbors ran outside. Possible minor damage. Very scary!

The connection to fracking/brine-injection is obvious.

I reported the event and my concerns to the US Geographical Survey: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquake...

22ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

There will be home damage from this one just like the one in August and I hope a class action is started. Nowhere in our constution nor our state or local laws does it say that corporations can cause earthquakes and not be responsible for the damages. Although there doesn't appear to be any damage to my home, I will march with those whose homes were damaged to make sure that their homes were fixed.

23Penguin100(2 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Agree with onthetown 100%. Although not ALL wells may cause earthquakes, you have to have zero common sense not to see the connection between the 11 quakes this year and recent drilling in the area.

24Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

vallymon
One data point? How about 11.

25ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I live in Girard and everyone of my neighbors came out into the street ready to get their guns and storm down to that well site. I have never seen such a group of angry people.

Our TV almost fell over and a leaf to my dining room table fell and cracked. Pictures shaking, and that boom caused all of my children to start crying in fright. This is nuts.

26johnyoung(241 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Of course all of you scholarly geologists out there are certain that the driving of over 5000 steel piles to bedrock for the foundation of the new V&M building have absolutely NOTHING to do with the increased seismic activity in the vicinity, right? It's just a coincidence that the earthquakes began to occur at the same time the pile driving did.

27Penguin100(2 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

It's time for us to protect our home and take back our country from the corrupt. Wake up everyone. If we unite, we can take control. The choice is yours.

28uglyugly(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I've been living in California for over a decade but I'm home in Girard for the holidays. I've been through a dozen quakes 3.0-5.9 by now but never felt anything like that explosion that shook our house today.

It is pretty obvious by now that fracking is connected to quakes. The quakes this year in Youngstown were all pretty much centered on this injection well, the staff scientists understand that you can be sure. They are not going to agree to shut down without evidence, there is too much money to be made.

29kfromtheburbs(23 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I felt that earthquake today. I never want to feel one again. My dogs went crazy barking and running around. We must stop this drilling people. They will poison our land and water and the people getting rich (NON OHIOINS) move on to the next area.

30ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The Columbia University scientists have concluded that based on the depth of the earthquakes that the well is likely to blame. For all you deniers, suck on that. You're probably collecting money and will do anything to keep the checks coming even if it means harming your fellow Youngstown area neighbors. Shame on you!

31jbyrd1960(49 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't forget that I didn't inhale either!

32howardinyoungstown(591 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

If you have a natural gas water heater please inspect the gas lines. In earthquake country the building codes require that water heaters be strapped to a wall or structural column to prevent tipping, they also require the use of flexible gas and water lines to prevent leaks and the risk of explosion!

33USNBOY413(17 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I was at a relatives house in McDonald. It WAS BAD THERE!!! There is a house that slid off its foundation. A chimney that fell off the side of a house. The initial shake was what was bad. All it did to my relatives house was knock his steam mop over. It was so close you could feel it go right under the house front to back. Super Scary!!! We need to stop the drilling!

34ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

For all of us without financial interests, it's going to be a fight to stop the misinformation and denial machine. Those who are receiving royalties and the oil and gas companies themselves are going to do anything they can to keep the drilling going.

35WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I have been trying to contact Bob Hagan to see if we can get disaster aid. I see that a lot of people will need counseling for the psychological trauma.

36CongressWatcher(160 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Up to date Mahoning Valley earthquake map at http://www.munimanagement.com/shookup/

37ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

USNBOY did you say a house fell off its foundation? Wow.. I'm going to see if earthquake insurance can be added to my policy then I'm sending the bill to the drilling company.

38ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks Congress. Anyone see a pattern here?

39Ytown20(118 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@johnyoung: So the scholarly geologists at Columbia University are just wasting their time setting up their equipment here in Youngstown to study the relationship between the injection wells and the earthquakes? Good thing we have you to come on here and set them straight!

40grandmagina(14 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I was laying on the couch about 3pm and felt vibrations. I thought it might be an earthquake but I didn't t know it was an earthquake until I went on the internet. I live in Poland Township.

41HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

This injection well needs to be closed. Even IF this quake wasn't caused by the injection well, it doesn't make sense to inject the waste brine and other contaminants such as highly toxic benzene into a well that is located in such proximity to the community's source of municipal water (Meander Reservoir) and also adjacent to a now frequent (11 in one year) earthquake producing fault zone.

42bsdtwd(40 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Heard distant boom and felt distinct shaking in Poland Township. Our dogs were also alarmed along with the ones that started barking down the street. It's simple, inject huge amounts of unknown liquids deep or shallow and the previously dormant kinetic energy stored in these different layers beneath our feet is released via an earthquake. To blame it on pile drivers is for the shallow minded. I watched 76 being built over Lake Milton and don't recall clusters of earthquakes not to mention the new bridge/causeway over Meander. It's the brine (AKA chemical mix of god knows what) baby!

43Ytown20(118 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

A relative who lives in McDonald had his refrigerator tip over. We need to stop this madness. This is our health and the health our children and grandchildren at stake.

44ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Looks like it was upgraded to a 4.3. Yay.... I'm concerned about property values if this continues.

452muchtax(321 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Doesn't takr a rocket scientist to realize these injection wells have something to do with it. Plus who know what they are pumping into the ground. Famous haliburton /cheney /bush rule where these companies don't have to disclose what thet are putting in the ground and ground water! Maybe hagan and Ryan can do something about this even though the unions are not involved. PA won't allow it but our idiot politicians like hagan n Ryan think it's fine! Wait till contaminants start showing up in people's well water, then these politicians will run for the hills.

46ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@2muchtax: I think we can hold them responsible if contaminatin occurs. I hope that the residents whose homes were damaged send the drilling company their repair bill that's for sure,

47WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I haven't been able to get in contact with Bob Hagan. He must be out getting ready to welcome in the New Year. We need disaster aid ASAP!

48gpyemm(11 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

So the question is: Do we tolerate minor earthquakes in exchange for a much needed economic shot in the arm. Everyone knows if there is money to be made, it's going to be made one way or another! That gas is down there and the powers that be are gonna cash in!! I'm a contractor and I have to follow these stupid lead dust laws so lead paint doesn't get on your lawn, but the EPA turns a blind eye to these events....You think they are in the pockets of energy companies? Yes! and again....YES!

49briant(57 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the next quake will suck the south side into the ground, except for the churches. that way we can start over....

50briant(57 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

51YanniBGood(12 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm glad I didn't try to slip that one out in the kitchen ...

52johnyoung(241 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@ytown20:

You exhibit typical a "Archie Bunkeresque" misinterpretation of a little tidbit of information. The only thing determined thus far is the horizontal and vertical location of the epicenter of one earthquake which occurred on December 24, 2011. My point was that much more investigation must be conducted before a conclusive cause can be determined. Such an investigation will undoubtedly include the impact of other subsurface disturbances in the vicinity. Get it now?

53I_AM_MEL(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Amazing that the same thing happened in Arkansas with hundreds of earthquakes that didn't start until the "f*ing fracking" started on fault lines that were suppose to be ancient! Why can't we be told the truth about what is happening? Mother Earth is sending us a message! Why aren't we listening?

It is sad we don't have serious journalist who don't live up to their duty to report the truth and inform the public in this area. Stop the fluff pieces and report the truth!

54ondaedg(18 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

journalists are paid by the same companies they're reporting about. We're never going to get honest news until journalists are paid by independent sources. Otherwise, they'll be hurting the same companies that are signing their paychecks.

5589must(21 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey can we all guess who the D&L energy owners/workers are on here. We the people of the valley are not stupid D&L 11 quakes in one year, and the epicenter of every quake is around your well site.
Yes are local reporters are dropping the ball on this story.

56palmer16121(116 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I felt it all the way here in Sharon, PA in my bedroom, it was shaking rather good here.

57Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I was in Mississippi at 3:31.25 PM EST and I felt it . Then I remembered W. said he was appointed by God and knew every thing will be OK in Ytown

582cent(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I am surprised that everyone keeps attacking fracking after reading the article. There is no fracking in the area, so how is it fracking? its the 9300ft deep water well where the brine is pumped. I agree the well is a residual of fracking and there need to be better ways to get rid of or treat the waste, but to say it is "fracking" is a knee jerk reaction of the uneducated. Take a look at Williamsport, PA that have hundreds of fracked wells and no earthquakes. Hmmm, yep it the Brine well as stated in the article. Its is not actual fracking. you can get info on the Ohio Department of Natural Resources website. Please educate yourselves.

59Kent(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

This is at least the third site with correlations between fluid injection and fracking.The others are in Arkansas and Texas. It depends on the Geology of course. Not every place is susceptible to Earthquakes. The Valley obviously is and the fracking should stop. Not only are Earthquakes a possibility but the fracking fluid is toxic and carcinogenic. There are oodles of examples of contaminated wells due to fracking.

60Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Anyone who claims that the drill site has nothing to do with the earth quakes you are officially lacking intelligence .You made all others aware that you are challenged.

61sue(171 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The most interesting point in this story is that Bob Hagan was ironing his son's shirt!

62Observer123(20 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

My house shook. That has never happened in the 8 years that we've lived here. Once the powers-that-be work out why my house shook, because of frack-related drilling or something else, my house is now worth a lot less than it was before these inconvenient earthquakes started happening. One step forwards, five step backwards in this backwards part of the world.

63lumper(281 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

the water that is pumped into the ground is lubricating a fault line that exists at that depth. the lack or decrease in friction between the plates of the fault line is now allowing them to slide over each other, thus, the earthquakes. technically, the injections aren't causing the earthquakes, but if you don't inject anymore
"lubricant" into the fault line there won't be any more quakes.

64Youngstown_Strong(91 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Check out the movie Gasland - it's all about the ill effects of fracking in American communities.

At the very least, check out the website:

65jaydapirate(4 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Me and my boyz will be goin out on a bang tonite too!

66green(34 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Love this debating. Silence Do Good you need to stay silent with those dobad words. Valleymom thanks for the rational thought process, you must have a degree higher than high school. AnotherAvg. you will note that someone did state they thought the pounding of pilings at V & M caused the quakes! Told you so. Ondaedg, get a life. Your only excuse is that you're from Girard. Did you sue the homeowner whose house exploded and there was severe damage through out the town? ne last comment to you and Lumper, give me hard facts, proof on paper and I'll belive you then

67JoeFromHubbard(1038 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Here we go again with Democratic confusion on the part of Hagan The Horrible. He wants to stop all drilling in Ohio. Better tell my dentist. Nothing like fear-mongering to kill jobs and economic progress.

68ytownismyhometown(6 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Something is definately going on here. On my street here in Austintown all the neighbors heard and felt enormous explosions, rather then a steady build up of shaking consistant with an Earthquake. It hit the house like a large explosion would. We were looking up in the sky thinking there was a gas explosion somewhere. It scared everyone pretty bad and it actually sent all the neighbors outside to see what the hell it was. My own family described the sound and feeling like a bomb went off. Interesting how the brine well injections stopped yesterday and here we are a day later with the worst Earthquake yet. Buckle up Youngstown, this is only the beginning. I believe information is being withheld from the Public and also tampered with. Interesting how in these Earthquakes, they state the quake originated in one place, then change it later to coincide with man made drilling. If you want to swallow the spoon fed bullcrap, then you are a fool. Prepare is all I can say. If something was really going to happen here in Northeast Ohio do you think they would warn us? No! 2012 is the countdown, and it may not have anything to do with drilling/fracking but the alignment we are going into. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Keep flashlights & bottled water handy. Be prepared is all im saying. Don't be the fool who is indenial and thinks "it wont happen here, we will be fine". Think about areas that had catastrophe happen that didnt heed the warnings. The red cross takes a week to send help. Dont rely on the govenment to come to your rescue. God helps those who help themselves. Earth is sending warnings to us here in Youngstown, we'd better listen!

69bsdtwd(40 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Joe from Hubbard has city water (courtesy of Fmr. Mayor and Aqua) so anyone else who depends on a clean aquifer or just cares about their environment is a liberal/Democrat. It's not fear mongering when your well water lights on fire due to the excess methane caused by fracking and injection wells. Nobody knows the true contents of what they are injecting to frack or disposing of via injection. Don't trust the drillers. We need truly independent scientific (I know that science stuff scares Repub's these days) verification of WHAT is being done to our lands.

70webad(156 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

A good site to keep up to the minute (real time) track of earthquakes is the U.S. Geological Survey website. Remember the time looks odd because it's "Coordinated Universal Time". Click Real-time - USA on the left side of the page to see the corresponding Eastern time.

v

or

71MOLOCH(21 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Why can't they shoot it in old dried up wells - holes can cave in - better to fill them then try to shove stuff where there is no room.

72SheepleHerder(22 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I live 1/4of a mile from the new "revised" epicenter. Yes a little rumbling and shaking but I do not think this warrants a moratorium on drilling in a 5 mile radius.

From what I have read about these types of problems associated with drilling it is only certain wells that cause the problem.

I guess picking a figure (based on nothing) like 5 miles beats banning it for the entire state.

Glad I have "Bob Hagen" to protect me from a good job and a higher quality of life.

I have seen the documentary "Gasland" and I know there are risks and issues but I will be damned if I am going to run for the hills over a little shaking.

We need the Jobs and I do not see any of these "Hack" politicians doing anything for Youngstown except for pretending they are protecting us from "big gas" the evil creators of earthquakes.

73earth(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Today’s earthquake was not cause by natural earth movement. I grew up in a very active seismically area of Balkan. I experience earthquakes of small to very large magnitudes, from a few miles to thousands miles away, from no danger to huge killers. This one belongs to an explosion in the ground caused by human activities. Similar one I experienced in Decatur, Alabama six years ago caused by an underground explosion.

74Observer123(20 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Sheepleherder - if you own property in this area then you're a complete idiot to be so gung-ho after today's event. If you are unemployed then you have have my sympathy, however this type of short term gauging of the local area won't do you much good long term.

75webad(156 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@ondaedg and other posters,

Get your news daily M-F from this independent viewer-supported news program:
v

76webad(156 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Decrease fossil dependence. What about wind and/or solar power for the home, tidal power, hydroelectricity, geothermal power for manufacturing, etc? Sun and wind are best. None of those are dead solid perfect solutions, because they depend upon geographic location and climate. But, all climates are suited for one or some combinations of them. They're far better for human health and the environment than are fracking and oil wars in foreign lands. We all know that cost in blood and treasure.

Ostracize the land lessors, take steps to throw out drillers, and demand alternative energy sources. Cause a nationally newsworthy commotion over these earthquakes and fracking by-products in your air and water.

This is a matter of life and death. What dead guy needs a job? Earthquakes. Diseases. Even Mother Nature is fighting back. Take a look at all the cancers and neurological conditions among Valley residents. Those are courtesy of the steel mills. The lesson should have been learned by now; yet I still see sheep, waiting to be sheared, posting here.

77SheepleHerder(22 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Observer: I own property right next to today's epicenter and I say drill baby drill. Before I came on here and commented? I used a little thing called google to research the link between fracking and earthquakes.

There are 177 similar wells in Ohio yet Youngstown is the only place with seismic activity. I found this article over at Time Magazine (not exactly a corporate entity)

In Oklahoma, home to 185,000 drilling wells and hundreds of injection wells
where they have had 5.6 quake and no one has been hurt and to date 14 homes have had damage claims.

We need the jobs and I for one will not bury my head in the sand and curse the "gas gods" like some caveman because the ground shakes.

78SheepleHerder(22 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Here's another one from the Huffington Post. Yet another corporate lacky website.

79SheepleHerder(22 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Power to the People WEBAD. Wind is the answer to all our financial problems here in Youngstown.Mother Nature has the hiccups and only comrade Obama can save us...lmao

80m__dogg(12 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey people, just because the drilling was stopped the day before does not mean the cause still does not lie within the drilling process. The relief of the water pressure between the plates does not disappear for days to weeks after the injection date. The water does not just disappear into thin air. Common sense tells you that when you try and force something into a space for which it was not originally intended negative results may be produced. We need the oil and gas, but we must figure out safe, effective and efficient ways to accomplish the extraction of the resources and disposal of the toxic biproducts. We need to slow down and come up with a smart plan because the gas and oil deposits are not going anywhere.

81Anonymouse(36 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

SheepleHerder is not to be trusted. If he keeps posting I'll reveal his real name.

82GoPens(397 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Might he own a certain controversial injection well???

83webad(156 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Sheepleherder reads one article on Time Magazine's website and calls that research ... a site that shows on the right hand side of the page a link to "The Buzziest Buzzwords of 2011" He gobbles up propaganda advocating for his corporate masters. Sheepherder, voted Mahoning Valley's 2011 Most Gullible.

84slappysmith(55 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

after 11 quakes since the first was drilled is proof enough

85WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

After the trauma that we have experienced none of us will ever be the same. Years of healing will be needed. During this period many of us will not be productive and massive amounts of federal aid will be needed to sustain us.

86slappysmith(55 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

webbad? speaking of buzz words you're claiming everyone bows to the corporate master is really getting old. you were the one on comments spouting off about your support of Ron Paul who supports lifting all drilling regulations. You are a hypocrite and a boring one at best. if anyone bows to a corporate master its you. you should change your name to gullible. you and all the other tin foil hats will be throwing your votes away on a candidate who cant win and is who's only purpose is to steal votes to help his corporate masters the GOP.

sheepleherder? drop the herder and thats the perfect name for you. a sheeple the GOP's perfect creation. willing to mindlessly support anything they throw at you. your so called facts are tainted at best coming from inaccurate sources. you need credible facts to make valid points. you have none.

both of you are boring the rest of us and should leave the commenting to people who have something to say rather than your saying the same thing over and over on every thread you participate on.

its plain and simple 11 quakes since the first one was drilled. numerous reports regarding the same issue prove it is a relatively common occurrence with injection wells. it is obvioiusly happening here. unfortunately this isnt going to stop them its just going to stop ones within five miles of the one specified. the greed machine will get their way and as usual we are the ones that will suffer the consequences

87Laker(21 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The solution to the natural gas "shortage":
-High efficiency gas "combined cycle" electricity generation
-Utility sponsored "efficiency" programs for homes &businesses

Methods like these will reduce our demand for natural gas and make our natural resources available in the future.

Happy New Year and best wishes, everybody.

88HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Sheepleherder "I used a little thing called google to research the link between fracking and earthquakes...." Sheepleherder who seems to know it all missed this in his search: http://bssa.geoscienceworld.org/conte... ...Copyright © 2004 by the Seismological Society of America "A persistent earthquake sequence in northeast Ohio includes many distinct fore-main-aftershock subsequences, illuminates two faults, and was triggered by fluid injection."

89bsdtwd(40 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

It's a sad state of affairs when the GOP types (see Sheepleherder) side with business as a natural reflex without any concern for facts or science. The anti science stance is especially frightening. They'll stand up for incandescent bulbs ONLY because Obama, the EPA, Dept of energy and anyone with a brain cell sees the huge benefit of dramatically reduced energy usage. Thank goodness they weren't around when Edison invented the light bulb. They would be tethered to the Whale Oil Lobby just because all that new science is spooky and not mentioned in the Bible. Good luck to the GOP. If Obama found the cure for cancer or the common cold they would unite against it. No truth or reality needed in that group. Anything business or religion based is great and anything smart, science based or an idea Obama supports is immediately dismissed by these shallow cavemen/women.

90MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

No ban on meth labs - crack houses that people get shot in the skull over every weekend. Just think If a 6 caused Y-town to sink they could fill it in with the mounds of garbage - toxic waste that's trucked into this place 24-7- the eco-tards find no issues with ...

91MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

who knew that the WMD'S - with their mobile meth labs crafted out of con-version vans rolling around the streets of y-town falll into the protected catagory . No doubt they meet epa standards. - people with jobs that live in Youngstown- have become endangered spieces...

92MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

do the thusands of crack houses that litter Youngstown - filled with rat crap- and looted copper gas pipes meet EPA standards?

93MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The people living in Y-town have more chance of being killed by a Rump -shaker with a gun and maxed out EBT CARD than they do a earth quake...

94Laker(21 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Margeomatic is trying to change the subject. He does not have the intellect to discuss the issue, so he tries to ruin the comment section by starting a flame war.

95SheepleHerder(22 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Here's another from the "Times" another far right wing neo con publication that further drives home my point.

“It’s true that you can’t have an earthquake larger than a given fault can provide,” said Serge Shapiro, a professor at the Free University of Berlin who has studied what scientists refer to as induced seismicity. “But an earthquake even of magnitude 4 in a populated area can be an unpleasant thing.”

The benefit to risk ratio is by far in our favor and as long as we keep our heads.

I can live with a little rumble here and there in exchange for several thousand new jobs and the potential for energy independence from the middle east.

You Liberals can hug all the trees you want but the fact remains that this is the greatest economic event to happen to this area since the steel industry went belly up.

96MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

- The subject is very much about the EPA that finds a reason to iggy the crack house empire thats killing more people -each day and presents a 24-7 threat to humans...

97MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The JOBLESS Youth quake of Youngstown is far more dangerous to humans-. When was the last time an injection well prompted a shooting at a church parking lot- a store- or school ? All results of the wmd - drug related protected.

98MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

As for prop values - The average home in Crack-tard y-town sells for 1o k -...

99MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

FRACK OVER CRACK - WORD !

100theoldwrench(243 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@bstdwd very well said you are right

101Anonymouse(36 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Thousands of new jobs? Bwahahahahahahaha. More like hundreds. And how many of those will be for people living here?

Sheepleherder is astroturfing—being paid by industry interests to post pro-fracking bs online.

102Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I honestly can't believe that anyone even here would be stupid enough to think what happened and is happening with regard to the recent earthquakes is acceptable.

Now I see that I am wrong.Now I see that the area was chosen because there are indeed people so ignorant so brain dead that it baffles me. No wonder Texas and Pennsylvania ship their waste water here. No wonder trash gets shipped in from out of state.

Even out of state folks as soon as the news hit across the nation get it.They can do the math .Some people here are scary dumb.

103hellokitty(161 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Bigben has it right...the folks around MaHonkey Valley are dumber than a box of rocks. And really greedy too.

104Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

MaHonkey Valley ?
Is that near MaSpookville?

105Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

"Do we really need the corporations? " - -Sure who else would give us earth quakes , out of state trash and mystery waste water? I am sure the rest of the country is just jealous of the love and holiday tidings the corporations have gifted us with.

106MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

107MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

When over 80% of a city is gobomint sec 8 housing- fify %

poverty - pro-per tay value is a lost cause. Y-town - Detroit and all established 80 % welfare career hubs should be market areas for progress.If people do not like it = get a job and move. the wack of frack should have been happening to places like Detroit/ Youngstown 30 years ago. It's not as if people living in Gov housing ever pay home owners insurance anyways.

108MARGEOMATIC(128 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

ever see a sec 8 crib or housing project that did not look like a earth quake hit long before this ever happened ? Thought so...

109webad(156 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@slappysmith, You must be insane. I do not support Rpn Paul, never said I did. Show me where you saw my comment claiming such, oh worthless mis-quoter. Henceforth, the accuracy of your posts can never again be relied upon.

110Ianacek(909 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Harden up , Youngstown .

Another place on the planet had 48 quakes today , some up to 5.5 magnitude

111rnsab7(2 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh, the good old days. I remember growing up in my hometown when jobs were plentiful and the mahoning so was so polluted by the wonderful steel industries that you were unable to fish or swim in the river. Then, after they closed and left everyone without a job and left the landscape so beautiful with the picturesque broken down mills, full of contamination. Big business has ALWAYS taken such great care of the Valley. You should be ashamed of yourselves for questioning the virtues of the gas industry when they are so generous to the community.

112Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

"@ Bigben -i sure it's better not to have corps and leave the the shooting of 80 year olds in the church parking lot to the Mom and Pops.." - - -- - -Your statement lacks sense and is unrelated to the topic.

113Tomcat(202 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I haven't read all the posts but I have experienced many quakes of all different mag's. Never have I heard a "boom" before one except for the house raising off it's slab..LOL
What about that big one in DC last year??? Are they fracking in DC now also??? Something to think about before you jump to the fracking solution. Are they doing a thorough geo survey on the quake? I'm anxious to see what the true cause was before jumping on the fracking bandwagon here.

114Tomcat(202 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm sure it's Bush's fault.....

115Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

What would it take to wake some of you up?

116najjjj(106 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

BigBen you have got it exactly right. Many of the people on this site seem to think we are getting natural gas from the wells in the Ytown area. The wells here are nothing but giant garage cans. If fracking is such a wonderful thing why don't these other states keep their fracking waste in their own backyard. They don't want it...........they want it sent away so they don't suffer the side effects ie: earthquakes & polluted water tables. You will all be on these blogs in a few short years screaming for the gov't and corp. to come fix the problems. Don't allow them to do it in the first place.

117WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I will be holding a seminar on welfare payments and the extraction of money from government.

118legend33(169 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

You got be Frackin kidding me... we had a quake?

119CaptTurbo(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

What a bunch of suckers we are! The Socialists want to kill all domestic energy sources and blame some minor Earth tremors on drilling. Do you really believe them?

Not me. Drill for energy and dump the liberals. Lets get this country back on track!

120rnsab7(2 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Ok, CaptTurbo, I vote republican, but do you mix your Kool-aid with Frack water? I don't know many people who want to "kill domestic energy", just do it responsibly for our community. Eliminating our foriegn dependence will help get the country on track. It is not hard to believe that earthquakes are being caused by the process because the process is designed to create earthquakes to get the oil or gas out of the rock formations. So yes...

The one thing I do agree with you on is the suckers part. We are so desperate for jobs that we keep taking the bait, signing land leases and ignoring the problems. The longer a problem is ignored, the longer it takes to provide a solution.

121Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@Ianacek "Harden up , Youngstown .

Another place on the planet had 48 quakes today , some up to 5.5 magnitude" - - - - -- There are places on the planet where there is poisoned water too I wouldn't want to live there either- would you ?

122najjjj(106 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I say in about 20 yrs or so, maybe less the crime in poverty rate in Youngstown will be zero. A town that insists on being used as a dumping ground, will have it's residents begging the gov't to buy out their land, after their drinking water has been poisoned and certain cancer rates skyrocket. Property values.......nonexistent. How quickly we forget places like Love Canal.

123vicarofhell(25 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Why do conservatives automatically believe that because you oppose drilling that you are automatically a liberal? People can have individual thought (unless of course you are an elected GOPer who gets to sign all kinds of promise letters NOT to think for themselves). Just because you are conservative doesn't mean you have to watch Fox News or listen to right wing radio. Try to find independent sources and decide things for yourselves instead of talking points fed to you.

124Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks vicarohell for raising that comment and the reverse can be true as well. It bothers some people when they can't fit things into convenient storage units(2 parties). Some may be independents or Constitutional folks or libertarians and so on. Who cares the bottom line is we are all getting hammered by the same folks.

125WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Past growing pains are not the issue here. Everything in this world evolves on trial and error. With this injection well they have spent their money and tried as mandated by the state. Now what standards have been compromised at this injection site?

126Ytown20(118 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@najjjj: So true. Those for fracking are going to be singing a different tune once this boom and bust industry leaves Youngstown a toxic wasteland. Why is this area so quick to make a buck and accept fracking waste?

Anyway, does anyone know if any local citizens are banning together to stop this here? I've read about some towns in NY that have banned it in their towns, and others that are attempting it. Any news of this going on here?

127dbld(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

obviously the injection well is causing the quakes. 11 in six months when there were none before. I would think if I were the owner of v&m star, I wouldn't want my recent 700 million dollar addition jeopardized. I would think the cities of girard and youngstown, the feds and the state which have invested in this project would not want their investment jeopardized. has anyone looked into the background history of D&L drilling activities. I'm certain they'll find issues. oh, check political contributions to kasich from D&L principles. FOLLOW THE MONEY!

128Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Did VM Star get tax abatements ?

129Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@ WHATSSHAKIN "Past growing pains are not the issue here. Everything in this world evolves on trial and error. "

-- - Violations are just that and they are meaningful.When someone applies for employment their resume is looked at they have a history to view and possibly drug testing ECT. Should corporations be exempt from scrutiny? No.

130WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

At issue here is what violations have incurred at the injection well. I dont recall any being listed. The state of Ohio seen fit to allow its development by their rules.

131Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Wrong. At issue is their poor record and the scientist(s) that have performed the investigation to date stating that the well site was likely the cause of the quake and quakes.

Your word choices "growing pains " for violations was telling .Perhaps you are a member of the company team.

132Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Hypothetically: Blaming a third party who lets pretend receives love gifts in the form of chocolate bars is to blame because they allowed it to happen for the chocolate bars .

The chocolate eater then becomes the scapegoat while the naughty person moves on to do his or her misdeeds elsewhere maybe even changing his or her name to Mr. or Ms. Gooddeeds.Blaming the scapegoat never stops the naughty person.They are both to blame.

133samIam(213 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

WOW If the Almighty State can ban wells at a five mile distance perhaps they can do the same with Politcians and School Teacher Tenure??
Both of the above are lethal to the Environment of Youngstown also!

134WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

So Bigben, you seem to have an issue with my voicing my opinion. Your opinions are like a waste discharge opening. Everybody has one. Your expertise in deep well disposal trumps no one. I would rather read the report of the experts after they investigate.

135Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

WHATSSHAKIN No you can voice your opinions that is your right not matter how childish and unintelligent they maybe. Your stooping to character assassination is a sure sign of your butt kicking.Substituting "growing pains " for violations -wow what color is the sky in your world?

You need to Google a little more on the topic -scientists have already spoken but when you don't like what they say one may simply hire a new one until the desired answer is produced.

136WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Bigben, You envision yourself as having the intelect of a brain surgeon but I wouldnt trust you to operate on a hang nail. No one has yet done a thorough investigation on that well that I know of. If you know that they have then enlighten us. I value expert analysis over your inept ramblings.

137Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

"No one has yet done a thorough investigation " - -Obviously they are looking into it more thoroughly but scientists have been watching and studying that well for some time now due to the other 10 earthquakes that proceeded the last one.

Timothy Puko is a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review staff writer and can be reached at 412-320-7991 or via e-mail.

Ways to get us
Be a Facebook fan
E-mail Newsletters
On your mobile

"Injecting drilling wastewater and other brine deep underground probably caused several earthquakes near Youngstown in 2011, according to a scientist who is helping Ohio study the tremors.

"Eastern Ohio had 11 earthquakes since March, and their pattern and power isn't normal for the region or natural quakes, said John Armbruster, a seismologist at Columbia University. Natural quakes usually have one main shock and several aftershocks. These have been getting larger, spread out over several months, in an area where that type of regular seismic activity isn't common, Armbruster said."

"Things look different than they did before," Armbruster said on Monday. "It's not absolute proof, but it seems the doubt in my mind is small based on my 40 years' experience studying earthquakes."

There are more articles like this one.

If you believe that some other force caused 11 earthquakes in an area where there has never been an epicenter for earth quakes than your not to be trusted and you lack common sense.You probably want them to start injecting there again - good grief stand up so you can attempt to think straight.

It is obvious you do not value the opinions of scientists or posses common sense.Maybe your just having growing pains you know trial and error. Who cares if people have property damage right as long as that injection continues.

Read more: Scientist believes drilling injections set off Youngstown earthquakes - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitts...

138Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe you would like to explain to us about the clean water act and why it was implemented since you think you know so much about the issue. Enlighten us. Do the drillers have to let us know what is in that waste water .Don't you think we should know ? Trust you say? LOL.

139WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Bigben AKA RAMBLIN MAN, Do you feel better now? Same old from my perspective. Let the experts examine the patient AKA injection well. I will value their findings over and above yours.

140Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey WHATSSHAKIN of course I feel better. WHATSSHAKIN AKA CAPTAIN CLUELESS reread it again very slowly "... it seems the doubt in my mind is small based on my 40 years' experience studying earthquakes." .

Is the doubt in your mind greater than the scientist with 40 years experience? If you keep going through experts maybe you'll get the opinion you seek.

141WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Bigben, In the realm of knowledge and analytical skills you seem to be lacking. I'll rely on the reports of real experts and not the arm chair variety.

142Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

"... it seems the doubt in my mind is small based on my 40 years' experience studying earthquakes." I would concur with this expert opinion.

I provided you with the knowledge (source material) you asked for but you lack the wisdom to gain understanding.

143Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

WHATSSHAKIN,

" In the realm of knowledge and analytical skills..." - - -Good Lord the earth shakes with an explosion beneath you after a drill site is started with11 quakes in total and you are waiting for another expert to inform you whether or not said well caused the quakes? Sure thing.

You are are lacking knowledge , analytically skills, wisdom ,understanding and God given common sense.Wait all you like I think the scientists that have spoken thus far are correct .WHATSSHAKIN ? The earth.

144WHATSSHAKIN(42 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

When the experts doing the study of the injection speak I'll listen. Your attempts to gain attention aren't getting the kind that you desire.

145samsam(2 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

What if I told you there was something bigger going on here then anyone would suspect. Something that the government is doing that is making the Youngstown are shake. I know what it is. I know that the actual earthquakes are not centered in the injection site areas. I know details that the media doesn't know. Wake up Ohio. This is not a conspiracy theory. I know, and it is up to the people to find out for yourself what is going on here in Youngstown behind closed doors. If you care about your community, your family, your life. Speak out and find the truth. This is the only comment I will post in fear of the my life and the life of my family.

146Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

"Your attempts to gain attention aren't getting the kind that you desire. ' - - -Don't be so sure.

147danikytn(248 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Please read this article, this is what we have to look forward to.

148Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks danikytn.

149YNGAirSupporter(16 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Excerps from WKBN on 12/29/2008:

A rude awakening ACROSS the Midwest today, after a pre-dawn earthquake rocks Illinois. But all the way into Ohio, residents felt the aftershocks. And it begs the question: Could something like that happen here?

"WE HAVE JUST AS MANY EARTHQUAKES AS CALIFORNIA FOR EXAMPLE."

But Geologist Ann Harris (YSU Geology Professor) says we just can't feel them. Hundreds though are detected here in the Buckeye State.

Harris says Ohio usually experiences quakes that rank about a five on the Richter scale, resulting in very few injuries or damage, much like they felt in the Midwest.

"I WAS LAYING IN BED AND FELT AND ALL OF THE SUDDEN THE ENTIRE HOUSE STARTED TO SHAKE. YOU COULD FEEL IT, THE BED AND EVERYTHING MOVING. IT WAS VERY FORCEFUL."

But officials say a stronger, more damaging one could hit the Valley.

"THERE'S A PREDICTION THAT IN THE NEXT 50 YEARS, WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A MAJOR QUAKE IN THIS AREA."

So big, it could be worse than they've ever had in California, mainly because Youngstown sits between two faults. But don't start shaking yet, officials say chances are it won't happen soon. Just remember, earthquakes can rattle both coasts and in between, AT ANY TIME. While it's hard to predict when an earthquake could hit....it's easy to prepare. Ohio does offer earthquake insurance for home owners that's usually relatively cheap.

150Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

YNGAirSupporter - - -You don't find it odd that we have 11 soon after an injection well goes into use?I have to tell you I have been a life long resident and I can't recall anything like the last one not even close.

"Ohio does offer earthquake insurance for home owners that's usually relatively cheap." - - -If this is man made (the earthquakes) then who do you think should pay the bill?