Supporters of Nitro’s Law plan rally

Published: Mon, December 5, 2011 @ 12:00 a.m.

Staff report

YOUNGSTOWN

Supporters of Nitro’s Law, a bill to increase criminal penalties against kennel operators who abuse animals in their care, will rally Wednesday outside the Statehouse in Columbus.

The rally will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

House Bill 108 was introduced by state Reps. Robert F. Hagan of Youngstown, D-60th, and Ronald V. Gerberry of Austintown, D-59th, after 19 dogs were found starving, including eight who died, at the High Caliber K-9 kennel on Coitsville-Hubbard Road in 2008.

The kennel owner was convicted of four misdemeanors.

The proposed law could allow felony charges to be filed in similar cases.

One of the dead dogs was Nitro, a 3-year-old Rottweiler.

Liz Raab, Nitro’s owner, said state legislators need to approve the bill, which passed the Ohio House last session but failed to get a Senate vote last year.

The bill passed a House committee, but it isn’t known when the full House will consider it.

“Thousands of Ohio residents have contacted their legislators advocating for the passage of Nitro’s Law, HB 108, which would allow for the possibility of a felony provision in cases of abuse, neglect and killing of companion animals by making kennel owners, operators and employees responsible and accountable for caring for other people’s animals,” Raab said.

Comments

1nikkif07(2 comments)posted 3 years ago

I am one of the thousands of Nitro's law supporters. Living in Ohio, the abuse that our companion animals are being put through-the abuse and neglect-and then having the abusers get a slap on the wrist, is an embarassment. I'm going to be attending the rally and hope others will too. We have to give these animals a voice. Enough is enough Ohio!!!

2goldylegs(1 comment)posted 3 years ago

I support this bill. It is well known that there is a huge link between animal abuse and people abuse. Come to Columbus and support us.

3beagarrison(1 comment)posted 3 years ago

I support this bill.

4HexedCell(5 comments)posted 3 years ago

This is a bill that NEEDS to pass....Ohio's companion animals need a voice....WE are that voice!!! Stand up and contact your rep and tell them we won't stand for this gross display of abuse and neglect of Ohio's animals while the people who do it get away with a slap on the wrist Anymore!!!

5Lupusluna(1 comment)posted 3 years ago

AS A HUMANE AGENT I SEE THE ABUSE AND ITS AN EPIDEMIC!!!!! COME RIDE WITH ME ON SOME CALLS. THIS BILL NEEDS PASSED AND I FULLY SUPPORT IT!!!!!!!
CHIEF LINDA GILLIAM

6sagerielly(1 comment)posted 3 years ago

This bill needs to be passed. How long will Ohio continue to turn a blind eye to horrid stories continually reported. These people need to be punished for their actions. Animals cannot speak..we must speak for them. I question our representation's character when this doesn't warrent attention What kind of kind of human being would think this kind of treatment is acceptable. PASS THE BILL!!!!!!

7ctamburrino(5 comments)posted 3 years ago

If the lawmakers aren't working to prevent violence then they are supporting it! Violent individuals will abuse anything and anyone that they have power over including children. Why do the lawmakers have a block with understanding this simple concept? Start enacting tougher laws so criminals can be dealt with accordingly. At least give the judicial system the felony option when warranted. STOP SUPPORTING VIOLENT BEHAVIOR AND PASS NITRO'S LAW!!

8suzyo1064(1 comment)posted 3 years ago

I am a supporter of Nitro's Law...I live in Ohio and am an animal lover, and when I read the story about Nitro, I was sickened and outraged,, and I am ashamed and embarrassed of the fact that the passage of this law was not a no-brainer...there is so much evidence that animal abusers can become human abusers, and laws such as Nitro's Law can protect animals and prevent human violent crimes by putting these monsters in jail and prohibiting them from ever having animals again...I think that having an animal abuser registry ( like the sex offender registry ) would be a great idea and a positive step in the right direction, in conjunction with tougher laws for animal abuse....Ohio needs to get its act together....the people are speaking out and we want this law passed !

9julieatPFPO(1 comment)posted 3 years ago

Ohio is ready for Nitro's Law. I have seen extreme animal abuse first hand and a misdemeanor is simply not enough of a punishment to deter these criminals. Ohio voters have been speaking loud and clear for over 3 years, calling their legislators and writing emails. It is time that our legislators listen to those who have voted them in and pass Nitro's Law. The time for change is now!!!

10mollylm(16 comments)posted 3 years ago

There is no understanding why Ohio legislators will not do their job and bring this bill for a vote. We aren't asking to set the pace here. We are one of only a handful of states with NO felony options for animal abuse. The most you can get NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO is SIX months and next to no one gets that. Take a minute to call you own state rep and tell them Ohio needs Nitro's law NOW.

11mle_3983(1 comment)posted 3 years ago

I am also one of the thousands of Nitro's law supporters. I am sick to my stomach to think about the abuse Ohio animals have endured, while the abusers see no real repercussions. I LOVE the idea mentioned about having animal abusers register like sex offenders do. As an animal lover and pet owner, this is information I feel I should have the right to know. I'm trying to move things around at work to allow myself to attend the rally Wednesday. WE NEED TO STAND FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NO WORDS! (And apparently no rights).

12Judah55(2 comments)posted 3 years ago

It is beyond my comprehension why the legislators, as fellow human beings, are unable to comprehend the absolute necessity of this bill being passed into law. I agree with all but one of the above comments. If Ohio wants to be known as a humane state, this bill will be passed. If Ohio's legislators want to be known as truly representing the wishes of the people, this bill will pass.There is no excuse for doing less.

13Judah55(2 comments)posted 3 years ago

I apologize. I agree with all of the above comments.

14dansansalsan(1 comment)posted 3 years ago

Ohio, please support Nitro's Law!

15mammenchiro(10 comments)posted 3 years ago

IT'S VERY SIMPLE. THIS LAW NEEDS TO BE PASSED BECAUSE PEOPLE WHO ABUSE ANIMALS ABUSE PEOPLE. THAT PERSON COULD BE YOUR CHILD, SPOUSE, SISTER, OR GRANDPARENT. THIS LAW WOULD HELP IDENTIFY ABUSERS EARLY ON AND INCREASE THEIR PENALTIES!! PLEASE HELP PROTECT ANIMALS AND PEOPLE BY SUPPORTING NITRO'S LAW AND CONTACTING YOUR REPRESENTATIVES!!

16lramirez2(2 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

We need to see felony charges against those who commit these acts. Our representatives should pass Nitro's Law, and hold offenders accountable - not give them a slap on the wrist and virtual invitation to continue as if they were innocent of a crime! Anyone who has ever had a pet and read about Nitro knows we need this law - to include our so-called representatives that are ignoring our pleas for justice.