UPDATED: Standoff victim found dead inside Girard house

Published: Mon, December 5, 2011 @ 3:15 p.m.
  Police Standoff: Girard

Police authorities said suspect Keith Jornigan's body was found inside a house in the 100 block of Trumbull Avenue.

GIRARD — Police authorities said suspect Keith Jornigan's body was found inside a house in the 100 block of Trumbull Avenue here today.

They did not say what was the cause of death. Police found a shotgun inside the house.

Trumbull County Sheriff Thomas Altiere said Jornigan was a suspect in an incident in which his wife was beaten and shot with an arrow earlier today in the couple's home on Bristol Champion Township Line Road.

Jornigan got in his car and left that scene, and came to Girard and entered the home here. He held hostages, but eventually let them out.

After police were unable to contact the man, police began firing tear gas into the house at about 1:30 p.m.

No gunshots were heard after police tactical units entered the home where police say Jornigan is held up.

Witnesses first on the scene said they heard two separate gunshots come from within the Trumbull Avenue home.

Altiere said the wife made a 911 call and was taken to St Elizabeth Health Center in Youngstown. Jornigan then led the sheriff's department on chase to Girard. Police from various agencies have been at the scene of the standoff on Trumbull Avenue since late morning.

Police personnel armed with assault rifles had surounded the house.

More details will be reported as they become available.

Comments

1vicarofhell(25 comments)posted 3 years ago

Maybe not report where the snipers are next time?

2tburk1(30 comments)posted 3 years ago

Yep. That was pretty dumb Vindicator... UGH!

3Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

Suspect of what ? Must be serious to need a swat team . . ..

4Harley_Guy(120 comments)posted 3 years ago

Yep - break down the door ... suicide by cop scenario here

5valleymom(38 comments)posted 3 years ago

St. Elizabeth's is not in Warren!

6USNBOY413(17 comments)posted 3 years ago

You people are so dang ignorant! Get your rumored stories straight before you go posting your typical nonsensical trashisms! These people involved are STILL sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles nephews, nieces, friends, etc. Have a little respect! But then again, I think that's probably too much to ask from you poor excuses for human beings! Everyone knows that St. E's isn't in Warren. Nowhere in this article does it say he has a shotgun. GROW UP!!!

7leftyompton4life(79 comments)posted 3 years ago

Reports are saying they got his order wrong at JibJab in Girard which made him go cray cray!

8Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

A Bristol man accused of beating his estranged wife with a bat and then shooting her in the chest with a bow and arrow has been found dead after a nearly four-hour standoff with police in Girard.

In a 911 call to police just after 10:30 a.m. Monday, Keith's wife, Danielle Jornigan, can be heard screaming at her husband, pleading with him to "please don't do this" and saying "I love you, I do" before the phone hangs up.

A few minutes later, she called 911 again saying she'd been shot in the chest at her Bristol home, where she'd lived with Keith until he left after an argument about a week ago.

9pgurney(283 comments)posted 3 years ago

And the SWAT team was there because someone told the police when they got to this Girard house that he was holding a man inside as a hostage.

So no, not over the top.

10Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

Keith was married before . . ..

From the Warren Tribune Chronicle on 2/28/2006...

McDonald woman says she set fire to her home
Tribune Chronicle

WARREN - A McDonald woman accused of lighting the fire that caused $60,000 damage to her own home admitted setting the blaze Monday.

Tanya Jornigan pleaded guilty to a charge of arson before Common Pleas Judge Peter Kontos in exchange for prosecutors dropping charges of aggravated arson and felonious assault.

Jornigan must undergo a pre-sentence investigation before Kontos hands down a sentence.

Police say that shortly before 4 a.m. on July 26, 2005, Jornigan, 640 Second St., used her Chevrolet minivan to ram her husband, Keith Jornigan's pickup truck.

Nearly two hours later, McDonald village police and a Weathersfield fire crew responded to a fire in the home's living room, which investigators say the woman started with gasoline from the garage. No one was injured.

An apparent argument sparked the altercation, police said.

11Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years ago

Stan the man is in the know
Stan for sheriff or something

12Attis(922 comments)posted 3 years ago

We take care of rabid dogs more effectively than rabid men like this misogynist. The warning signs were all there for years. Why was there no intervention? No protection for his victim(s)? When are men going to realize that they do not own their wives and girlfriends (ex- or not). These (attempted) murders-suicides are always the same: the man kills (or attempts to kill) the woman who leaves him and then kills himself. It is never the other way around. Why?

13Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

14peacelover(791 comments)posted 3 years ago

@Attis
Excellent question.. I wonder the same thing every time I read a sad story like this.

15babygirl11(1 comment)posted 3 years ago

he shot his wife with a bow and shot his self with a shotgun. but u guys rlly need to keep ur rude comments to ur self . he was a great guy known him for yrs. && u dnt know what all they were goin threw .

16sobeit(98 comments)posted 3 years ago

@babygirl11: A "great guy" doesn't beat his wife with a bat and shoot her with a crossbow in front of their 5 year old daugther. I don't care what you're going through in life, taking someone else's life should NEVER be the answer.

I pray for their children because ultimately, they are the ones that are going to suffer the most.

and I pray for Danielle to heal quickly so she can care for her children sooner rather than later.

And I also will keep Danielle's family in my prayers because it is their strength that is going to be needed to help Danielle get through this difficult time.

17mauzy006(14 comments)posted 3 years ago

OMG! The whie Man commits crime too? Noo way completely shocked, I bet it was DRUG realated! O well these welfare using drug dealing scum got what they desreved, hoodlums! HeHe

18Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

So mauzy006 I see that you finally got your computer out of hock . . ..

19Bplus(103 comments)posted 3 years ago

@mauzy, congratulations a white man did commit a crime. but sorry, it is still your people that commit most of the crimes. 7, 8? homicides in the past 2 months. Take a serious look at the minority crime rate. Its been 150 years, bounce back already. Also, I doubt he was a drug dealer, he had a good job and seemed like an average guy.

20watchingthepolitics(97 comments)posted 3 years ago

21Bplus(103 comments)posted 3 years ago

Black people don't want spell check, it underlines all their Ebonics.

22Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

watchingthepolitics :

"Stan, he may have finally got his computer out of hock, but I think some people of color may have stolen his spell check."

So, what did I misspell watchdog ?

23mauzy006(14 comments)posted 3 years ago

I never had to pawn anything my life, u might have tried ro pawn something to me lol guarntee my family more well off than u clowns and last time I's checked I's spelled everys things right masser! F**** out of here! And I have yet to meet a nice man who shoots his wife, It was drug related METH to be exact funny how you defend your pale faced kin folk but let that would have been a black man and ohh boy I could just imagine, OOH well she deserved to be shot and he deserved to be killed!

24mauzy006(14 comments)posted 3 years ago

@ STAN u should take that show on the road your a pure stand up comedian, APPLAUSE to you sir maby you should tell those jokes you tell to a room full of black men with the doors locked wise guy and lets see who has the last laugh see the diffrence between me and you cowards unlike yall (isnt that how the hillbillys say it) I wear my hate for your kind on my sleeve I dont hide my feelings

25Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

mauzy006 :

Hate all you want to no avail . Act out on that hate and you will be a guest of the man . . ..

26Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 3 years ago

mauzy

"I never had to pawn anything my life, u might have tried ro pawn something to me lol guarntee my family more well off than u clowns and last time I's checked I's spelled everys things right masser! "

Drug dealer, huh? Just a matter of time....

You talk like you type....typical.

"OOH well she deserved to be shot and he deserved to be killed!"

Such a typical mind.....

"you should tell those jokes you tell to a room full of black men with the doors locked wise guy and lets see who has the last laugh see the diffrence between me and you cowards unlike yall (isnt that how the hillbillys say it) I wear my hate for your kind on my sleeve I dont hide my feelings "

Typical...."room full of black men with the doors locked"....never could be one on one.
Of course you can say or wear your hate, your allowed, the white man is not allowed because of PC. God forbid if someone speaks their mind everyone calls it racism, but when you do, it's OK. It's people like you that set back your race. To typical, try to be different for a change. <smh at such stupidity. >

27jasoninohio(119 comments)posted 3 years ago

The good thing in all this is how much in tax payer money Keith saved by ending his pathetic life. Not to mention that, in all reality he was going to beat the next woman he married as well.

28badeepster(118 comments)posted 3 years ago

Don't axe mauzy or babygirl to spell check. Like babygirl sez, we don't know what they're going threw.