YSU faculty calls off planned strike

Published: Thu, August 25, 2011 @ 10:50 p.m.

Faculty at Youngstown State University called off a planned strike just hours after the union rejected what the university administration called its final, best offer.

At 7 p.m., Sherry Linkon, a spokeswoman for the more than 400-member union, announced the offer was rejected by a "pretty substantial majority."

"We're very sorry to have to go on strike," Linkon told members of the media.

But shortly after 10 p.m., Linkon issued a news release backtracking from the strike plans.

"Youngstown State University’s faculty union has decided to call off the strike scheduled for Friday. This will allow classes to begin on Monday," she said in a statement.

The union statement went on to say "…this action also benefits students,ensuring that they will not only be able to begin the semester on time but also receive the financial aid funds that the administration has frozen."

Earlier in the evening YSU President Cynthia E. Anderson issued a statement expressing the university's disappointment in the vote.

"We recognize that this is a difficult contract, and we understand that accepting concessions is not easy. These are, however, unprecedented economic times for the university, the state and the nation. The budgetary challenges we face are enormous. Sacrifice by all is necessary in order for the university to live within its means this year and into the future."

The union has contended that while members are willing to make some concessions in recognition of the economy, they believe the university can afford more than what's being offered.

Stan Guzell, chief negotiator for the faculty, said the university has the money but wants to use it for other goals.

"It's not that they don't have the money, it's that they want to spend it on things that don't include" the faculty union, he said.

Later in the evening Guzell called on the university to return to the bargaining table.

"We hope to continue talks as soon as possible.”

Sudershan Garg, chairman of the YSU Board of Trustees, said in a statement that the board stands unified and firmly behind the contract offer.

"The board's responsibility is to ensure the financial viability of this institution, and we take that responsibility seriously," he said."This was our last, best and final offer; it represents the steps needed to help the university regain its financial footing. I had hoped that the faculty would recognize that, and I am disappointed that they apparently have not."

Comments

1observer21(17 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

What a load of BS. That was not an offer, it was an insult. The faulty has the support of many.

2Valleyvoter(21 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

No they don't. Coming off a contract that awarded ridiculous increases during the great recession, not to mention the multipliers, escalators, gold-plated health care plan, low classroom hours, free parking, and other perks and bennies, it's time they enter the real world. Hope the admin holds firm, parents and students working several jobs to pay tuition going up twice as fast as their paychecks are fed up.

3DOLE2(594 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Let the students go to class and learn on the internet.I can't wait to see the pickets drive up in new Volvo's and Mercedes!

4TheLostPatrol(754 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Yesterday, I was in the waiting room of a phycisian and overheard a YSU professor state to the receptionist that if they voted to strike he would not be able to return for his next appointment because he would not be able to pay the $500/mo for COBRA while on-strike. My private employee health (family) coverage is $210/month, no prescription card, and I have to pay the first $5000 out of my pocket before they even begin to pay a single penny.

5AtownAugie(697 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

This day of infamy forever will be known as "The Linkon-Russo Debacle."

6taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Whatever the choices are, Anderson is hardly the person to be making a statement like this! She makes more than most faculty could ever dream of and something those of us in the private sector wouldn't dare to dream. LET HER GIVE A LITTLE

7observer21(17 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

@unionshate....

YSU will not hire replacements. Hate to break it to you skippy, but professors have degrees. They have an education and are experts in their fields. Why don't you go back to your soap box and let the adults talk now.

8Attis(854 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Fools, this is exactly what Kasich and the rest of the pro-SB5 gang wanted and undoubtedly pushed for. If Issue Two passes and SB5 becomes law, the YSU faculty will have played a major role in that disaster for our entire state and future. You will become the poster child for pro-SB5 propaganda. Why were you so blind to this carefully laid trap?

9taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

UnionshateAmerica just started back with a new name this month and is already up to 80 commments. While I'm not backing unions, this person seems to be on this site soley to put down every teacher or public worker there is just to make himself feel better.

10eamiller01(2 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I guess if going to school for 8+ years, doing research, publishing scholarly articles, and teaching is not considered "a real job," I'd like to see what is... Who's worked "a real job"? I'm sure you must be referring to "manual labors" who don't need a thought in their minds to do their jobs.

Does anyone question why doctors, lawyers, engineers make as much as they do? Why is this? Why as a society do we hold teachers to such a low regard when they have way more education and work harder than most people?

Has anyone ever asked a teacher what they do everyday? How much homework they have to grade? How much time goes into lesson planning? How they must attain a Masters degree and sometimes a PhD? And all they get is sh*t on by the public.

Our society is as ignorant as our inability to see the value of education and our educators.

11taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I stated I am not backing unions. Not a lib or whatever else you want to call me. I have intended to vote for SB5. But not for the same reasons you are. How can you not see that the faculty are right on this one? They already were taking cuts with the current contract that they agreed to. At the same time the admin and ESPECIALLY Anderson are raking in the $. If they weren't doing this and making a mockery of the taxpayers then I probably would feel differently. When do they give something? Even in the 3rd year with raises the faculty would still be at less $ than they are right now. There is a time to stand up for SB5 and a time not to. This is one of those times not to. The faculty is willing to take what is essentially a pay cut but the admin and Anderson keep on living life grand. Make sense of that

12Citizensforjustice(13 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

If we do that, we can all fall to the lowest bidder. Can anyone say minimum wage? Or do we want less than minimum wage? And how does SB5 bring in the better, higher paying jobs that the Republicans always say they want to see? If I have a degree and ability, I am going where that is valued. It doesn't appear to have a value in Ohio under this administration. We will all lose if SB5 becomes law. Workers have no rights if there is no collective bargaining. Obviously you are a union hater. I am not a current union member, but have been previously. I am thankful that unions fought for worker's rights long before I was born. I hope they live long enough that my children see their benefits in their lifetime.

13GOLDFISHIES(3 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Dear YSU Faculty Union,
First, I would just like to say good job to all of you on losing all of your respect you have "worked so hard to obtain". Your fellow colleges, who are not in the union, students, and other individuals in the city /surrounding area of Youngstown, Ohio, are appalled by your actions in going on strike. I know I have zero respect/tolerance for selfish, egocentric people such as yourselves. The individuals who voted for this unnecessary strike are obviously blinded by greed and cannot see that students out number faculty members immensely, and that WE, the students, are now the voice. This strike is about money. What about the students who now have to pay full tuition because of the block currently held on financial aid? Some students rely on the money given to them by the state to live off during the school year. Do you realize that YSU will not be getting the tuition money from the majority of the student body because we simply do not have the money to pay it otherwise without the help of financial aid? This will only put YSU into deeper hole than it is supposedly already in. Lastly, I, along with hundreds of there students, would be caught dead in any class room during any type of break because of this parsimonious strike. In other words if the YSU faculty union has any common sense they will call this strike off.
Sincerally yours, one pissed off YSU student

14qz4k5y77(8 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Come on SB-5!! This is a perfect example to all just why that law is needed. Union workers who have it too good for too long just don't know when to give a little while the taxpayer has been giving alot. Vote yes on SB-5 in November.

15taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I know many have said that the faculty striking would cause people to vote to keep SB5. I hope others see that this is actually a reason to vote it out. I planned on voting to keep it. Now I'm questioning that since this is a prime example of why they need to be able to strike. This is blatently wrong to make the faculty take bigger cuts (since they already agreed to cuts) when the administration won't do anything to give back themselves.

16DOLE2(594 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh Boo Hoo,I can't afford my imported SUV,Boo Hoo,...I can't afford a new elbow-patch wool jacket,,,,Boo Hoo,I have to pay a whole 5% health insurance....BooHoo,I need pipe tobacco....Boo Hoo....poor me.........

17osuman(1 comment)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

This makes me sick! You facility need to get your heads out of the sand and try living like everyone else. I took a huge pay cut in my job and have to pay a larger portion of my health care. Where are you people coming from? Its the kids that are hurt, remember the kids, the reason you got into education. If you want to live off the public, run for office. YSU should bring in outside educators. If you want to hurt yourselves I could care less but DONT HURT THE KIDS!

18taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I guess I'm surprised that more people don't realize that the faculty was pushed into this and if they had waited as many said, and worked without a contract, nothing would happen. The only part of SB5 that I wasn't comfortable with was the non-strike since that is the only way the aministration would ever give a penny. Look at what the admin and Anderson make. Don't you think it makes sense to put an end to that kind of waste? I just don't get why others don't see that. Maybe it's just me

19Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

“The board’s responsibility is to ensure the financial viability of this institution, and we take that responsibility seriously,”

So go the fortunes of YSU and so go the fortunes of Youngstown . A long strike will put a dent in Youngstown's economy and the losses suffered by the employees of YSU may never be recovered . The loss of students because of the strike may be devastating .

20churchcat(4 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

strikes killed industry, now let's aim for education

21ailierdroit(102 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I have eight classes remaining for my Economics degree, paying my own way, making sacrifices at my job (including paying 35% of my own healthcare,) to take some of the remaining classes during work hours. Screw this! I'm finishing online and counting down these next 75 days before I press 'YES' on SB5.

22kari9628(4 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

For those of you that support the board and Dr. A there is a facebook group to support Dr. Anderson and the administration. It's "we support administration and Dr. Anderson".

23EducationIsKey(10 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

YSU faculty should have accepted a horrendous contract because: 1) there is VERY little chance the deal will get better and 2) this will certainly fuel unfair propaganda for the union-busting SB5.

There are some here that label the faculty as greedy. Well, when they accepted the fact finder's recommendation, which called for grave cuts (e.g., 0, 1 and 2% annual increases) and the administration REJECTED it, how can the faculty be labeled greedy (YSU faculty already get paid much lower than Ohio and non-Ohio equivalent universities btw)? Do you know what the administration makes relative to the work horses (i.e., faculty)?

On a broader political level and particularly to those low-to-middle class people who incurred pay cuts but support SB5, why support corporate oligarchy, which is the direction in which this country is moving? A strong middle class, which in part is FUELED BY EDUCATION, is/was the strength of our country. We are now at, what, 1932 levels of economic disparity between the rich and the poor. Yes, by all means, do not burden the upper 1-2% by moving their tax bracket from 35 to 39% to buffer this country's economic pain (cough).

*Support for SB5 = support for corporate oligarchy and squeezing the middle class.
**Education, the fuel for innovation and long-term economic growth, is deteriorating in the U.S. Do you know the educational policies of China and India (and E. Europe)? Yes, be scared and embrace the fall of an empire.

24YtownParent(274 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I hope the students are wise enough to look out for their own interests and withdraw from classes until the faculty and administration come to an agreement. The administration and faculty had no market incentive to avoid strike, nor will they have any to conclude a strike, because the tuition bills are still due and they still have to be paid before you can register for the next semester. So the university won't lose money as quickly or deeply as corporations due during strikes, unless the students withdraw before the full refund deadline. Imagine a whole semester of tuition gone, no classes on campus. The costs might be expensive up front, but the education it would bring everyone at YSU could be priceless.

25Citizensforjustice(13 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Strikes do not kill industry. Greedy corporate CEOs and public administrators kill industry at the cost to the workers and customers.

No one seems to see that the faculty agreed to the concessions when accepting the fact finder's report. The administration did not.

Again, the financial picture is not what YSU is painting. They recently said in other articles how well poised they were financially. Who is telling the truth?

I do not believe the faculty made this decision lightly but I applaud their democratic action. It is now time for the administration to do what they need to do. Take greater concessions than you ask of the faculty and I'm sure they will listen to you. If you don't set the example, you can't expect them to hear you.

Maybe after the administration takes a concession percentagely comparable to what they are asking of the faculty that ears will be opened. They must also guarantee that they will not hand the money back to themselves once the strike is over.

It is between the two sides to decide what they are willing to accept. The administration needs to think of what is at stake in the long run.

26dancinmoses(66 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Once and for all, the faculty are not to blame. Blame the FAT CATS of the Administration. You have a president making over 350K, a provost, who retired a few times and is making the big bucks again all the while he is collecting a pretty good pension from STRS. How about the general counsel who couldn't do her job and they had to hire an attorney to help her, and oh, let's not forget the goons in HR, Let's see, there is not one but TWO. Why do they need both reynolds & bramlett?

Another thing people forget, these faculty members pay taxes. Yes, a concept you might find hard to accept, but they pay taxes as ALL PUBLIC EMPLOYEES do and probably spend most of there money here, putting it back into the economy.

It is a shame that the administration finds it cute to use the students as their innocent pawns in all of this. Faculty do care about their students and their profession of teaching, they are just asking for fairness.

Let me ask you this question, if you were told you had to pay 15%, wouldn't you (at least any intelligent person would ask) ask 15% of WHAT? What's the number? That's the 50,000 dollar question, 15% of what are they asking?

Go Faculty, you have the nerve to speak up to this corrupt administration. Where is the family in all of this madame president? You always talk about the fact that YSU is a family......what a wicked step mother you turned out to be.

Finally, thank goodness for Linken & Russo, they are at least standing up for human rights.

VOTE NO on SB5

27AtownAugie(697 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

In industry, the products, services and wages lost during a strike are NEVER recovered. Workers make a very real sacrifice when they strike. When teachers strike? Pffft -- they lose NOTHING. Classes merely commence later and finish later on the calendar. Oh. Wait. Teachers DO lose something when they strike: the respect of those paying them.

28GTX66(338 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

SB 5 is needed now more than ever. Teachers, Professors have seemed to lost where their loyalties are. Is it to their wallets or the students that they are supposed to be teaching.

29Pierside12(9 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I do not understand the need for a union that represents "professionals". If you are as good as you think, you will be recruited by other schools and the university would be offering you more to stay.......that is true nationwide.
Why are the "professors" complaining about the University president's salary (even when she donated approx. $125,000.00 since accepting the position) when her job is totally different from theirs?
Who do they want to pay for their % of the insurance premiums...students?...janitors?...other taxpayers?...parents?...grandparents?...hunters?...you get my drift. And who knows what premiums will be in the future? My auto insurance can go up and I still have to pay for it (as well as uninsured motorist fees in case some idiot drives without insurance)...life is hard/you've had it easy/get over yourself.

30ConservativeDude(36 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Taxpayers must evaluate all the opinions being registered about SB5. We taxpayers need to protect ourselves from relatives, neighbors and friends trying to get into our money. Taxpayers who are not members of Public Unions are paying for the wages and benefits of those who are in Public Unions.

Our relatives, neighbors and friends, in the Unions, are telling us that we have to pay for their wages and benefits at the level their Unionshave negotiated. The next step is the Unions get a Levy on the ballot to pay for the increases in the wages and benefits.

If you vote for the levy you are saying you are willing to sacrifice your money to pay for your neighbors increased wages and benefits, possibly out of your unemployment check. Your neighbor lives better than you, on your dime.

TAXPAYERS CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS! You can't satisfy your Union neighbor and complain about the taxes. It can't happen. It is time to make a decisionabout your money.

Taxpayers rarely have a direct say about where their money goes. This time we have some control over our money.

TAXPAYERS - Vote NO for SB5 and vote NO for the next levy asking for your money.

UNION MEMBERS - vote to keep your Union dues money in your pocket. put your money in your 401K.

31HSG(105 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Education is key,
"...this will certainly fuel unfair propaganda for union busting sb5..."
Yet the rest of your post presents an excellent argument to support the repeal efforts of sb5.
Let KKKasich try and use this as propaganda! We can counter by calling him and his supporters out as the fascists they are!

32EducationIsKey(10 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

AtownAugie,
When teachers strike, they lose income (duh). Teacher are in fact workers and since "workers make a very real sacrifice when they strike," teachers make a very real sacrifice when they strike.

Please get your facts straight.

33walter_sobchak(1831 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

The faculty may get a better contract and win this battle. But, you will lose the war since you will be made the poster children for SB5. People are unemployed or underemployed all over the state and you are going to argue over making $60000 or $65000 per year. This will not be taken lightly by the 10% to 15% of the electorate that will decide this issue.

This is the problem with highly educated people. All the book smarts in the world but not a lick of common sense!

34EducationIsKey(10 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Yep, what Walter said above! Nailed it folks!
- The Dude

35sickstudent(4 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm currently enrolled at YSU. I'm a non tradition student trying to better the life of my family by returning to school. I understand why the faculty feels the way they do but its as if they are out of touch with reality. I pay a small fortune for my family's healthcare. My copays are extremely high but I am grateful for the coverage. My husband hasn't received a pay raise for 4 years but we are grateful for his job. Times are very difficult and the faculty at YSU does not seem to understand how well they have had things...at least my point of view. I'm tired of hearing that the faculty worry about their students. Neither the faculty or the administration care about the students at YSU. I'm disgusted by this entire situation and I'm ashamed that I attend this University.

36helorime(10 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I apologize in advance for this ramble:

What is expertise worth? Who deserves to be middle class? I am a science Professor. When I was young I picked beans at a local field fro 2.25 cents a pound. A day's work gave me some spending money. I held an assortment of jobs through college (University of Chicago) and used that money and loans to pay for my degree. I then worked as a technician in my field for 7 years, never making more than 18K/year. Then I went to grad school (Columbia University in NY) I studied, taught, tutored, and did research for five years. I received a stipend of 12K/year, then finally 14k/year. I was living in Manhattan. I managed, living very cheaply, sharing an apartment in a bad neighborhood with a bunch of people. When you are working 60+ hours per week you don't need much money for recreation, you do not have time for it. I turned 30 there, working on my PhD, living in poverty. Then I went to Seattle (U. of Washington) where I did more research and teaching and earned a post-doctoral fellowship from the American Cancer Society. In 1996 when I left I was making 22K Woo Hoo!

The job hunt was hard in spite of my nice academic pedigree, publications in prestigious journals, and the fellowships that I wrote for and had been awarded. There were jobs I applied to that had over 600 applicants, all with PhDs in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or Molecular Genetics. I was fortunate enough to get offered a position at YSU, my first choice of the places I interviewed at, a place where I could do teaching, run a research lab, and really make a difference in student's lives. I would have the opportunity to help bring students, who might be the first in their family to go to college, up to a level to compete globally in a rapidly advancing, high-demand field.

A number of my students have become doctors, dentists, pharmacists, or research scientists. Many of my students are giving back to our community now. Others are making a difference in other communities. Some are in academia, more are in the private sector. Others may not have been science majors but may be able to make more informed decisions about their lives and their healthcare due to my and my colleagues efforts. One of my students who learned research doing a Masters in my lab has become a tenure track Professor herself. I am very proud of her. I am not unusual at YSU. Their are a lot of highly trained people who want to make a difference.

37helorime(10 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

We all opted into academia because it is what we wanted to do, not because we wanted to be rich. We could all earn more in the private sector. However, it is much harder to get a tenure track-professor job than a position in the private sector. Some people do not understand that money is not everything and totally miss the point of being an educator. None of us are out to get rich. We do not drive BMWs. We do not own second houses.

So if we don't care so much about money why are we striking? Some junior faculty may indeed be having a hard time making ends meet. I remember that I had a few very hard years when I was first here. But the bigger question is, what are we worth? What is our expertise worth? Do we want to place a decent value on education? Do we want people to take pride in their work? It appears that the majority of us have said that we are being given a resounding NO by the administration. We are worth no more than a 0% raise this year and next with a 20% reduction in summer teaching pay, an increase of an unknown dollar amount in healthcare (the admin says 15% of a "premium" which they have declined to put a dollar value on) as well as increases in all our co-pays and other out of pocket charges. It will be a noticeable decrease in take home pay for me. How much? I don't really know, but since I teach a summer class, and do not have to pay for family health coverage, my guess is 3-5K depending on what the Admin decides a "premium" is.

After much thought I actually voted FOR this contract, as it did (finally) reduce the health care % for junior faculty and instructors who make less money and are often still paying off their student loans. I could not stomach the previous one which would hurt the new, young, bright, faculty with young families the hardest. It was still a punitive contract and the majority of us voted against it. I am not displeased by this though I am sad to have to be on strike and very sad that the Admin will continue to punish the students while we are striking.

That other thing that caused me to vote for the contract, the students. The admin CHOSE to withhold their financial aid. It was NOT required by law. We had a legal term start date. We were not on strike when the Admin chose to withhold the funds. We were not fined for disbursing those funds 5 years ago. My understanding is that even in the unlikely case that the government decided that those funds should not have been given out to the students, the penalty would be something like $2/ student. Peanuts for an Admin that chose to give Dr. Anderson a 100K pay raise. The students need to buy their books, pay their tuition and fees, pay their rent deposits. I think that the Admin did that to make us vote for an unnecessarily punitive contract. It worked for me. I hate to see people with the least means, who are trying to better themselves, get penalized by those who have plenty.

38helorime(10 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

The fact remains, we are one of the lowest paid faculties in the state of Ohio, our teaching load is one of the highest. In a typical term I am so busy with my lectures, my research students, and other University related obligations that I do not have time for my test/homework/quiz writing and grading until after I go home. I typically pull three to four all-nighters at my office and lab, and another few at home trying to keep abreast of my grading. I have yet to meet another academic scientist outside of my colleagues at YSU who has the teaching load that we have as well as the expectation that we will manage to produce enough scientific findings to publish as well as train graduate students. When I was hired I was told I would be teaching two classes a term, which seemed like a lot compared to all the institutions I had been at, but I thought it was doable. That two turned into three, four, or five. That is not so doable. It takes around three hours to prepare a one hour lecture if you have good materials to work with and a good level of expertise. So if you are presenting 10 hours of lecture in a week, that's 40 hours right there. Add in 5 hours of office hours (few Universities require so much) and running a research lab, writing and grading and it is no wonder I have no time.

I sometimes miss the days of being a technician, just doing lab work, being paid peanuts, but working only 9-5 and being done when I left work. At least for part of the summer I only have to train my research students and don't have much grading, outside of research related writing. Then again I am technically working for free during that part of summer. It is a necessity to do that to keep up with scholarship and to get the Masters students through their thesis research. This is the life I chose. I am not in danger of losing my house or not having money for food or utilities (unless the strike goes on too long).

In short, I think I and my fellow faculty members are worth more than what the Admin has offered us. The University is NOT in deep financial distress. We are highly trained hard working professionals. Is 70K too much money for a PhD with years of experience and many years on the job? I think not. We are not slaves to the almighty dollar, but we deserve more respect that we have been offered. I will see you all from the picket line tomorrow morning.

39euph1990(1 comment)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Walter
what you and most of the posters here need to understand is that the teachers most affected are the junior staff (instructors/ assistant teachers) they each earn 38,689 and 51238 respectively. These of course are your younger teachers, recently married, just graduated with the PhD, and in most cases have very young children. In the offer accepted by the faculty two weeks ago they were receiving a 4k pay cut over the next three years (That calculates in the increase in insurance pay). These are the ones who more than likely voted down the offer today, as it is difficult to live on that.
Now the senior staff or the people who bring up the average salary to over 70k are more than willing to work with the admin and have more than likely been ok with any pay cut. These of course are the older staff most of which ready to retire.
POINT... not everyone makes "65,000 a year" in fact the vast majority make the lower number i presented... all of my numbers can be found here (http://web.ysu.edu/gen/ysu_generated_...)
I'm all for the faculty and WILL be joining them on the picket line tomorrow morning... More so I'm a conservative yet even i can see just how wrong sb 5 is... VOTE NO!

40EducationIsKey(10 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Sickstudent,
The strike is unfortunate for most (e.g., faculty and students) but IMO, not for all (e.g., administration, board, Governor). I'm sorry for your situation.

Let me ask you, if your husband knew his company was profiting but not only was that revenue used to pay solely for top executives but the exact figure was not disclosed, would this be disconcerting (your husband contributes to the profits, right?)? And if the company forced a health care plan on him and said you will be paying 10% of X ... but we're not going to tell you what X is, would this be a concern? It should be.

"I'm tired of hearing that the faculty worry about their students" is short-sighted IMO. What if, what if the administration makes the situation so bad that the current faculty depart. What quality people do you honestly think will replace them? The answer is that education, your education, will be compromised.

Case in point, if the administration's offer to reduce summer salary by 40% occurred (20% was in the vote today), very few seasoned faculty would teach them and you'd get inferior teachers doing the job.

41sickstudent(4 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Helorime, I appreciate the fact that you genuinely seem to care about YSU and about your students. Its seem honest and very refreshing. My biggest frustration with YSU has been those instructors or professors who do not seem to want to be at YSU or seem to put very little effort into their classes. I have even had some who can't be bothered to change the dates on our syllabus for the correct course or to grade papers that we have spent many hours on. It has been these people who have made it very difficult to sympathize with the faculty during this time. I am happy to see that there on some on campus who do understand that the students do matter.

42oldmillspice(160 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm curious , If SB5 goes down, do you think the unions will want to talk to Kasich and try to cut a deal then ??? What if Kasick then tells them to pound salt ? I think the union big wigs should have covered their bases and at least sat and seen what was offered instead of snubbing him (Kasich)

43sickstudent(4 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

And to Educationiskey, please read my above comment about some of the faculty on campus. I do not think that many members of the faculty essentially care about their jobs or have a passion for teaching. They go through the motions of it but I can only think of 2 or 3 people on campus that I've personally had as an instructor who truly cared. And my husband's job is horrible. He works many hours and hasn't had a raise in 4 years. We pay over $400 a month in health care and these rates have gone up every years and we are never told what they will be until he calls to re up. Our copays are now over $60 just to visit a Dr. So, honestly, I have zero sympathy for the faculty concerning health care. Regardless of what they pay, I doubt it would come close to the costs my family has been forced to pay to have health care and to visit Dr's. Last month alone, I paid over $800 out of pocket for healthcare for just one of my children.

44helorime(10 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

@sickstudent, I am a notoriously slow grader! It is my biggest problem as a professor. I spend way too much time per paper/homework/quiz/ determining a point given here but not there. I have also messed up dates on syllabi, though entirely by accident not because I was just printing the same old thing out ;-)

In any case it looks like the strike is off for the moment. I hope the admin bargains in good faith this time and releases that money to the students!

45sickstudent(4 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

@helorime, its never been slow grading that was my issue or a few messed up dates. Its when the entire syllabus is obviously for a different year/semester or I know something wasn't graded because it has to many mistakes to receive a specific grade. Regardless, it is refreshing to know that there are those on the faculty like you.

46AtownAugie(697 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Education is key: teachers do not lose any money when they strike. Their nine or ten month contract just starts and ends later. No group of teachers has ever lost money by striking. Be a pal, and check YOUR facts before embarrassing yourself by telling others to do so.

47djw4shstigers(2 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I fully understand and can sympathize with both sides of this heated dispute but what I have neither read nor heard is what is so often and undeservedly overlooked: concern for the student body. While I am hopeful that the fall semester will resume as soon as and as normally as possible, this hope is based on an assumption that there is at least a smidgen of concern for the potential repercussions to current and future Penguins. I dread what an extended strike could spell for students wholeheartedly planning a future that includes graduating this December. I am sure these students, whatever field they are pursuing, have given their all towards making YSU a better place to learn and Youngstown a better place to live. What is so crucial that faculty and administration cannot repay these dedicated scholars, volunteers and outstanding men and women for their years of service? I cannot possibly imagine. An agreement must be made and while we must strive for a compromise that benefits both sides of this financial feud, we cannot forget who needs to benefit most from it: the students!

48Jerry(474 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

helorime,

"We are highly trained hard working professionals."

Professionals do not join unions.

Professionals do not strike.

The YSU faculty has the right to do whatever they want to do; however, I will not be mistaking them for professionals.

49valleyred(1093 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

The YSU Student Body was heard. In less than a week, 1,456 students stated LOUD and CLEAR that they did NOT want a Faculty Strike: http://www.facebook.com/pages/YSU-Stu...

Our voices were heard.

50epictetus(7 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

The first thing a lot of you people don't understand is that cities are rebuilt on the backs of universities. Pitt and CMU, for example, were instrumental in Pittsburgh's renaissance.

For any of you shrill, simple minded, hateful little sh*ts who are attacking the faculty for their pay rates, I suggest you go look into the amount of research dollars a strong faculty can pull in. This is how cities are rebuilt. If you go cut rate on faculty, you will not be able to pull in rising stars, and you lose competitiveness. Frankly, we need to pay faculty more, so we can poach and recruit stronger faculty.

But I suppose my comments will fall on deaf ears because the sort of people who are anti-education are also the same type of bitter dipsh*ts who think the earth is 5,000 years old and dinosaur bones were placed in the soil by the devil. Just look at these comments. Half you people are illiterate. I am from this area and I left it several times because I am tried of the troglodytes I have to see and interact with on a daily basis. I moved back because of a family emergency, now I regret it. I can't wait to move again. You people are truly the most backwards in this entire country and it goes beyond the pro/anti union debates. You people are truly hateful, and that's why there has been and there will remain a black cloud over this god forsaken area.

51AtownAugie(697 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Epictetus: i hope both your attitude about the area and your joy of life improves soon. But if not, I'll be glad to put that cumbersome Ph.D. this troglodyte has aside and help you load your one-way U-Haul. Lemme know.

52epictetus(7 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

@AtownAugie

Don't worry tough guy. I'll be out of here soon. We all leave, and you know that.

53pwhite1027(105 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Ha ha Ha! SB5 is working just as planned. You liberal professors bark but you don't bite. Threat but too afraid to to strike. That's what SB5 is all about. Go to work Monday like the the rest of us will. Live like those of us that PAY your salary, nuckleheads!!

54helorime(10 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

@Jerry, Look up the word "professional" also look up "Union of professional". "Union" and "Professional" are not antonyms. There are a wide assortment of unions of professionals including lawyers and doctors, architects and opera singers, airline pilots and athletes.

55AtownAugie(697 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Epictetus...no tough guy comments were made. By me anyhow. Just a sincere wish for safe travel. And soon.

56epictetus(7 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

@pwhite1027:

57epictetus(7 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

@atownaugie

58pwhite1027(105 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

59ConservativeDude(36 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

A component of good Management styles is listening. The effort to stop SB5 is a pretty good indication there are issues that need to be discussed.

Kasich offered open discussion. The Union dissed him. A very unproffesional response to a proffessinal offering for discussion.

Now that the National Federation for Small Business has added it's support to SB5 the money and rescources will move into full swing.

If the Union gets cocky, business should immediatly pass a motion for all the small business members to discontinue the practice of collecting Union dues from employees paychecks. That is a hammer business has that the Union's can not take away.

My guess is Union membership dues would go way down. Members would quickly see there is no benefit to paying Union dues.

60helorime(10 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

"YSU faculty calls off planned striked" I wonder how long it will take the Vindy to fix the typo in their headline.

61dancinmoses(66 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I believe Furor Kasick DICTATED to unions back in February, "Get on the bus or get run over by the buy". HE NEVER gave the unions the opportunity to speak about that bill. Then last week, after he has seen that the REPUBLICANS are going to LOSE BIG TIME in the fall, he wants to talk to labor? What a fool has been put in the position of governor of this state. He's about making money for him and his cronies NOT your state. VOTE NO on SB5.

Too bad the big bad step-mother has put her children (faculty) in this posistion. Family, she has NO concept of what the word means, let alone UNION. They (Bd.of T. & phoney president) are corrupt and will continue to beat up labor all the while lining their pockets with YOUR money.

62Attis(854 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
Thank educators, your star is rising and SB5 is going down along with its arrogant and ignorant supporters.

63Richmond(15 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

These crooks at YSU (both sides) found a loop hole in the government mandated stipulation that resulted in the hold back of financial aid. They say the strike reconsideration was for the students. Basically YSU will be receiving funds for something they are not planning on offering. They didn't reconsider for the students benefit. They decided not to strike at this point so the University still receives its millions and the students would not have any reason to protest thus not making the profs look bad. Once the last penny of financial aid is disbursed the profs will strike. Now that the students and university have their money there will be no pressing need to come to an agreement. Get ready for a lengthy strike.

64ysufaculty11(4 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I will just copy the comment I made elsewhere.

"One point which is being missed is how all this hurts the faculty morale as employees of the university and the area where people do not understand their value. I voted against the strike and am glad that it has been called off. But that does not mean I agree with the bashers of YSU faculty. Most of us are as hard working as you would find any where and we deserved to get paid for it. I remember from having been on hiring committees for faculty various good candidates rejecting our job offers because of uncompetitive salaries. It is just a shame that we are underpaid (not only compared to the private sector employees with our qualifications), but also other university faculty in ohio. Everyone in the faculty is taking a paycut between 4-7%. That is when I am working more and more hours. Now, my only hope is to work even more and look for jobs elsewhere (not only for higher pay, but also for some respect I very well deserve). I was already worried about this area and was hoping that ysu as a major employer would continue to put in efforts to revive it. I am not worried about paying for health care more. Very fact that I voted for the 'best' offer is evidence of it. I am worried about the long term future of this university and treatment of its main assets, which are students and faculty. People who fail to recognize that need to be worried too. Let us please end the propaganda and recognize that."

65mufasa(26 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

@ysufaculty11,

In your statement "I am worried about the long term future of this university and treatment of its main assets, which are students and faculty. People who fail to recognize that need to be worried too."

I hope you're not so delusional that you don't realize there are roughly 600 or so non-faculty employees at YSU. They are people we deal with on some of the most important tasks of our educational journey and they deserve all the same accolades and recognition as the faculty.

66madison2011(89 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

For what it is ...its pretty cheap to live in Youngstown
Fighting over a few thousand dollars a lot of people with families HERE live off under $15,000

67epictetus(7 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

>"Epictetus: Unique "secret" name you have. Must be part of the liberal lies you all live daily. I make three times what you do without sucking off the taxpayers. Oh, by the way, I pay 30% of my health care premium monthly and don't go to the emergency room every time I have a hangnail or toothache as you do."

What is you beef with Epictetus? You should give him a read, it may help you control your jealousy and rage at your imagined enemies.

What liberal lies? I am not a faculty member. You are showing your paranoia here. Why would you assume that anyone who disagrees with you is a faculty member or "liberal"- whatever that means.

No one really gives a sh*t how much you make or what you pay. Second of all, you are speaking to a member of the millenial generation who as inherited a destroyed world from you *ssholes. We will be footing the cost to keep you leeches alive for the next thirty years, so please have some respect. And as anyone with a brain knows, your generation has been and will continue to be the leech "sucking off the taxpayers." So, please, show some respect, because all this hostility will not work in you favor when we have to make hard decisions like "go to mars or keep forking over cash to boomers" - frankly, I find it hilarious that you people want to destroy the very institutions you depend on, because by the way all those liberal leech college professors are teaching the doctors, nurses, and scientists that you will depend on to keep you ass alive.

68Observer123(20 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Epictetus - bravo!

Maybe there is some hope for that sorry piece of land if people like you are coming up through the ranks.

69southsidedave(4777 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Education is NOT an easy vocation under the best of circumstances. Do not be so quick to judge.