YSU, faculty dispute final offer

Published: Thu, August 25, 2011 @ 12:00 a.m.

photo

Sherry Linkon, Youngstown State University faculty spokesperson, discusses the union’s reaction to the university’s contract offer. The faculty union is expected to vote this afternoon; rejection of the offer could signal a strike beginning on Friday.

Strike may begin Friday if union rejects proposal today

By Denise Dick

denise_dick@vindy.com

Youngstown

Youngstown State University’s faculty union and the administration differ on what the university’s last, best offer — to be voted on this afternoon — would cost faculty members.

The union is expected to begin voting about 4 p.m. If the members vote to accept the administration’s proposal, there will be no strike. If they reject it, a strike will begin Friday.

“While the union leaders believe that this is a terrible proposal and that YSU can afford to do better by its faculty, we are a democratic organization,” faculty union president Julia Gergits said in a statement. “We will hold a secret ballot vote and abide by the will of our members.”

The university released its own statement saying that if the faculty ratifies the proposal, the fall semester will begin as scheduled Monday, and financial aid to students can be disbursed.

“We recognize that this is a difficult and concessionary contract that calls for sacrifice from our faculty,” the university said. “These are, as we have said many times before, unprecedented economic times for the university, the state and the nation that call for sacrifice across the board in order for the university to live within its means this year and into the future. We do not relish needing to ask for these types of concessions, but it is necessary in light of the enormous budgetary challenges that we face.”

The union said the proposal calls for take-home pay cuts of $5,000 to $10,000 per faculty member.

Ron Cole, a YSU spokesman, said the overall reduction in take-home pay for faculty members is less than $1,000 per member per year. That’s due to the increased health-care contribution, he said.

Even if a reduction in pay for summer school instruction is included, Cole said, the $5,000 to $10,000 figure cited by the faculty is high.

Sherry Linkon, a union spokeswoman, said that health-care contributions and pay for summer work continue to be sticking points.

Linkon said that both Gergits and Stan Guzell, chief faculty negotiator, were both trying to decide whether to make a recommendation regarding the offer to the membership.

“I know they were both very disappointed with the offer,” she said.

The union does have the option of continuing to work without a contract, but that is probably unlikely, Linkon said. The union already took a strike authorization vote, she said.

Cole said that YSU’s 80-some non-union administrators already have accepted a pay freeze for this year and will pay the same health care contribution that the faculty pays. That’s a target that the university will attempt to negotiate into other unions’ contracts as well.

“We must and will all share in helping the university to regain its financial footing,” the university’s statement said.

Under the proposal, the university still will pick up 85 percent to 90 percent of each employee’s health-care costs over the course of the three-year contract, it said.

“Finally, we remain disappointed that the faculty union continues to denigrate the university’s administration,” the statement said. “We have been publicly called inept, dishonest and manipulative. In all of our communications, we have tried to take the high road, understanding that this dispute eventually will be resolved and that all of us – administration, faculty and staff – will need to work together, as colleagues to serve our students and community.”

The faculty strike notice was filed after the university’s board of trustees rejected a fact-finder’s report for a new three-year contract. The faculty had accepted the report, which called for raises of 0 percent, 1 percent and 2 percent in the contract’s three years as well as a reduction in the amount paid to faculty for summer school instruction and an increase in their health-insurance contribution.

The minimum salaries for faculty are $75,674 for professors, $64,215 for associate professors, $51,238 for assistant professors and $38,689 for instructors.

“We feel a strike is our best bargaining chip and that this is the time to put pressure on the university,” Linkon said. “We know and we’re very sorry that it also puts pressure on the students.”

She said the faculty would work with students to ensure they’re not penalized. For example, when classes do start, if students don’t have their books because they couldn’t afford them due to the delay in financial aid and scholarship disbursement, professors won’t penalize those students.

Linkon acknowledged that, in this economic climate, a strike could affect public perception of the faculty. It also will affect faculty members’ finances, as the membership would not receive strike pay.

YSU’s announcement last week that financial aid and scholarship payments to students would be delayed brought complaints from students who said they rely on the money for necessities such as rent and utility payments. Students will have a rally to “End the Freeze” from 2 to 4 p.m. today in the area between Maag Library and Tod Hall.

A letter Wednesday to students from Jack Fahey, vice president for student affairs, said the university’s ability to help with the assistance they need is limited.

The university is expecting about $60 million sent from the federal government for the fall semester.

“More than $20 million is to be refunded immediately to more than 9,000 students for their living expenses,” Fahey wrote. “Frankly, the size of the problem is overwhelming. The university does not have an alternate source of funds that would enable us to provide a temporary loan for students until their aid is available.”

He said YSU is working with landlords, utility companies and social-service agencies to find ways to help students.

Help Hotline has volunteered to help students with resource referrals for rent, utilities, prescriptions and other public assistance needs, the letter says.

Several utility companies and some landlords have indicated they will extend the grace period for students awaiting aid if student names and account information are provided.

YSU delayed scholarship and financial aid payments on the advice of the U.S. Department of Education because the start date for fall classes is uncertain.

“Based on our discussion, I would recommend that you not disburse any funds in advance of the Fall payment period until you know for certain when classes, and thus the payment period, will begin,” said an email from a training officer at the Chicago regional office of federal student aid, U.S. DOE.

“The regulation is very clear that Title IV funds (federal student aid) may not be disbursed prior to the 10th day before the first day of classes for the payment period. Delaying disbursements will ensure that Youngstown State University will not run afoul of any of the Title IV Cash Management regulations.”

The email was sent to Elaine Ruse, YSU director of financial aid and scholarships.

Comments

1Cielitolindo774(2 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I have no money for books for fall and no money for a parking permit. So if school does start on monday where do I park with no permit? how do I complete lessons with no books? I have no alternative source of income. I quit my job 2 weeks ago so I could enroll into YSU full time. 1 week later I found out about YSU's problems. I have 5 dollars in my wallet. I was planning on living for the semester on my refund so I could devote myself 100% to my studies. Rent is on the 1st of september, My phone bill is due, and I'm eating ramen noodles for dinner. just give the teachers what they want so we can move on. I've been wanting to go to college since I was 12 years old and I'm finally realizing my dream at 25 and before it even began my dream looks like it's going to be crushed. Am I going to have to beg my job to take me back and then college resumes and I work 40 hours a week with a full schedule M-F?? This is not right. Is what the profs want really that hard to negotiate?? Think about people who don't have a college education, fighting for their dreams, living on $800 a month, working 40 hours a week, about to hit a break and go back to school to realize their dreams... POOF... gone... 20 million, that's a lot of money. Between 9000 people, not so much (aprx. 2,222). That's the problem. When in negotiations and contract signing you are looking at the wage increases as a whole and not at how much per person. Think of the faculty and the students as individuals. Try living on 3,000 for 4 months and then maybe you all will settle with the faculty just for the simple reason that you know how much that money means in our lives. It's a window. A lot of people's windows are about to slam shut.

2lumper(281 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

it never has been nor never will be about the students. it is about money and only money. greed rules. the faculty is the reason for sb 5. people are sick of this kind of behavior.

3whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

So sick of these kids and grown men and woman living off of financial aid.

I knew I guy that stayed enrolled just to get beer and pot money.

Never let any institution be in control of your ability to sustain life.

So to those who are crying about having no money because they felt the need to let others take care of them,

LET THIS BE A LIFE LESSON !!!!!!!!!!

4repeaters(196 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

She said it all. 25 years old and didn't know their were contract negotiations going on. Put your cell phone down honey and pickup a newspaper.

5UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

If they strike, they should all be let go. Plenty of PhD types waiting for an opportunity for a great teaching job like YSU is offering with good pay and excellent benefits even at the latest YSU Admin offer. The YSU faculty has no idea what the real working world is today like those of us in the private sector know.

6db(280 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

The education system at all levels is out of control. YSU's union members and YSU's administration are no different. The hogs never get enough; the taxpayers & students are broke but these folks demand more. $119,000 a year to teach 6 hours a week is ridiculous, a $400,000 YSU president (who also is given the keys to a mansion) is grossly excessive, and yet they demand more. Becoming a professor with a jellybean master's degree or doctorate is no big deal; stay in school long enough and you'll get one. I received my first degree at YSU and was unimpressed with the teaching staff; most were clueless, most had bad attitudes; couldn't care less about the class or teaching matter. There is an old saying: those who can, do; those who can't, teach. It is time to break their greedy union and hire the best person for the job; not the tenured one, most senior one, or other union required appointment. If they don't like the pay, the benefits, the working conditions; do what freedom provides and vote with your feet. It should be illegal to make a demand from your employer and damage him if he does not comply. If you don't like your job; quit. Unions and their 'collective bargaining' legal blackmail are no longer needed in America and are a detriment to our society. They inflate costs, protect mediocrity, and punish excellence.

7Southside_Res(166 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

It's unfortunate. Indeed, public perception of what the university and the faculty union are doing, just days before classes start, it's appalling behavior. I'm also at a complete loss as to why the faculty union would be doing this to their students. A lot of us have sacrificed in this economy. Where is the sacrifice of YSU's faculty here?!!!

8penguinfan1(29 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

It's funny because Mr. Cole states that the administration will take a pay freeze this year. Whoopeee. These are the people who make the most money on campus. They do not take a cut? They all received raises last year as well. Why don't they have to "take a cut?" The richest people on campus, and they want the faculty to give back $5,000-10,000 per year? If you look at the health care alone the cut is significant. 10 times what they pay now. If they are paying 50 bucks a month for insurance, the university wants them to now pay 500 bucks a month. That's an increase of 450 bucks. Multiply that by 12 and it 5400 bucks. That's a huge cut. And they want more on top of it? I do not believe that any of the faculty will accept this offer. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't wither.

9apollo(1227 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

The public sector is still in denial about the reality of health care costs. 85-90 percent is still much sweeter than the private sector. The faculty should be thanking their lucky stars that they still have the best health care and pension benefits in the working world.

10DwightK(1236 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

What are the particulars of the situation? How can the union claim pay is being cut $5,000-$10,000 but the administration says it's only $1,000? I can't make a decision about this situation unless I understand all the facts.

11WhatRUAfraidOf(85 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

db,

I am HIGHLY offended at your remarks regarding YSU faculty. I received a "Jelly Bean" undergraduate degree there. One of my professors was a world-renowned authority in his specialty. Others were greatly respected by their peers at other institutions and received many awards for excellence in teaching.

Although I graduated 27 years ago, I can STILL remember much of what I learned in my undergrad major, although I have never used it professionally. I continue to enjoy the ability to broaden my horizons by reading and listening to music in the foreign language I studied (mille mercis a M Corbe et Mme Linkhorn). I am almost entirely self-taught in a totally different field from what I studied at YSU, but the ability to think critically and analyze I learned from a plethora of outstanding faculty members.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I know a number of fabulous faculty members at Dana School of Music where my son earned a bachelor's in music performance. For graduate school, he was accepted by one of the best programs in the world in his medium.

Although I can't say I agree 100% with either side on this issue, it makes me FURIOUS when someone puts down the faculty at YSU like you did. Maybe 'db' stands for dumb bozo!

12Westsider(222 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I say go ahead and strike - then the passage of SB5 even in this unionized area will be guaranteed.

13Westsider(222 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh and by the way, if the summer perk isn't enough for faculty to teach classes out of their research area - hire adjuncts in the summer - way less costly to the institution. The way I understand it, faculty don't HAVE to teach summer classes - they just can't pass up the money. . .

14db(280 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Envious?? Niggardly? Penurious?? My, my; another liberal leach. How can anyone defend getting paid for no work, bullying the employer, and demanding pay that the free-market system has deemed excessive? Union members are nobody special. Simply because they have the bullying power of the union behind them should not inflate their real value; unions artificially inflate that value via threats, menacing, and destructive activity. We taxpayers need to stop supporting YSU with our tax dollars; see if the administration & staff can support their pay, benefits, & pension plans with only their abilities. See how well their product sells in the real world; they might be surprised when their true value is determined. How "niggardly" is that NoBS? Remember: those that can, do; those that can't, teach (and join the union).

15Mom4God(5 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

This is the union mentality that will make SB 5 pass with flying colors in November. Why shouldn't the faculty pay more for health care? The rest of us do! My employer in no way pays for 85% of my health care costs and every year my costs increase. Oh, yeah, and I work more than 8 months out of the year. In addition, I've had a pay freeze for almost 3 years now - hmmmm, that's right about the time the liberal instructors put Obama in office to "make things better". The faculty should feel honored to be working in an institution of higher learning and should put more effort into teaching rather than their own needs. Got news for you, faculty - there are many parents in this area who are anti-YSU for their children's education. With these antics and "rationale" you are stating, you're not making YSU any more attractive for those of us with children reaching college age. It's mediocre education. I've witnessed the lack of knowledge in employees I've hired with a degree from YSU vs those I've hired from other Ohio universities. If it wasn't mediocre, why would YSU offer free tuition to the smartest kids in the area upon high school graduation?

16db(280 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

AfraidOf, you make my point. Your jellybean music appreciation degree that the taxpayers subsidized was meaningless in the real world and by your own admission, your self-taught degree is relevant. Thanks! BTW, critical thinking is not taught; it is the province of intelligence.
ps. Your son's music appreciation degree will be equally worthless. Why not an advanced degree in art appreciation and learning "would you like fries with that?"
pps. db stands for the model of a factory-built road race car that I developed while working my way through medical school. What R U Afraid Of?? What have you developed while singing in a foreign language & critically analyzing? How 'bout critically analyzing why a union is needed to determine a person's real value?

17misterlee(118 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Db,
Teachers are what makes society work. Without educators we'd all be living in caves throwing rocks at eachother (that's what I imagine your family does for fun). Also, I find it hilarious that when someone uses big words ou assume they're liberal. You're right we liberals are smarter than you backwoods conservatives.

18misterlee(118 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

You know what you guys are right. People shouldn't be able to collectively bargain with their employer because the CEOs and administrative types of the world ALWAYS care about their employees right? They would never do anything to screw over the people who work for them. If you have money to own a business you must automatically be a great person.

You people are brainwashed morons if you think unions are thugs and hurt the country. Get real.

19dd933(223 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Some real good comments here...I remember living on ramen noodles and beer when I was an undergraduate...if parking is a problem, take the bus - if you are really committed to going to college public transit is much less costly than operating and parking a car.

The comments also reminded me of the realization of how lucky I was when I went to grad school at the University of Akron and actually taught the intro class that was taught by an assistant professor with a PHD at Y.S.U.

The other thing that comes to mind in this conversation is the fear that with the erosion and eventual demise of the power of labor unions being promulgated by corporations, and now the government, we will create an economy more like the feudalism I learned about in Dr. Domonkos' class than the one we are familiar with.

I don't think most people realize that these union contracts set standards that all employers follow - union or not. Some contracts are better than others and the professors do have a great one. But if you have a job where somebody else signs your paycheck you should be rooting for the union and voting against SB-5.

20Attis(864 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

If you strike you'll win the battle (better contract) but risk losing the war (SB5). Don't give Johnny and his puppets in the YSU administration/board the strike they want for their propaganda campaign in favor of SB5. Eyes on the prize, sisters and brothers. Reject the "final best offer"; reject the strike option; work without a contract until SB5 goes down in flames. And then give these scoundrels the hades they so richly deserve.

21walter_sobchak(1856 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

db,
Colleges are institutions are higher education and learning, not job training, per se. While a degree is typically necessary for certains fields of work, it merely provideds the access to that field. Now, whether you see a benefit in a degree in music appreciation or art history is not important. However, there will be limited uses for this education in a paying field. ANd, it is "leech" not "leach". Words have meanings.

Now, that being said, there is no doubt that an undergraduate education at YSU is one of the best educational values in the nation. Many classes are taught by full professors with Ph'ds and research credit in their fields. At more prestigious universities, such professors believe it is beneath them to teach undergraduate courses. And, no doubt, these professors have a higher workload than most universities as it is required by their contract.

However, the issue here is one of the whole state of Ohio and our economy. Unfortunately, the Board of Trustees and administration should have been more "niggardly and penurious" a couple of contracts ago with all employees of the university. The bonuses that were agreed to and bestowed on the classified employees were outrageous, excessive, and imprudent. Then, Dr. Anderson is hired and compensated more than her predecessor and she had never been a college president before. If I were a faculty member, it would stick in my craw, too.

But, in this climate of recession, the faculty are caught between a rock and a hard place. The state is cutting funding to education at all levels because the tax base of the state has shrunk tremendously and is going to continue to get worse in the near future. If I'm the governor, I would want a strike by teachers because I would then make them the poster children for the public sector unions. Unfortunately, the cupboard is bare now because it has been cleaned out over the past few years. It is obvious, public sector workers must get in line with what is happening in the private sector because you will find little sympathy for your plight out here.

22m8ke_the_call(105 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

and this is why public unions should never be allowed to strike.

23howardinyoungstown(591 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Maybe if the YSU administration led by example the faculty would be more willing to accept this proposal. Don't laugh there are administrators willing to do this check out this story from California. http://abcnews.go.com/US/school-super...

24amanda8234(1 comment)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

This lady cracked me up when I heard her on the news last night. She was complaining about professors being unable to live off of their $50,000 salary with student loan pmts. mortgages and other bills. Are you kidding? Really, that is above average for what people make in this area. Instead of being thankful for your job, if you aren't happy with what you make, than step aside and let the millions of people who are unemployed or under paid at their current jobs have yours. These people EXPECT raises, guess what, I haven't got a raise in 4 years but amd thankful I have a job and am able to pay my $40,000 student loan debt every month, along with all my other bills. My sister just graduated from YSU with a teaching degree and can't find a job. She will gladly take yours for even LESS than $50,000/year. And to the first comment up top CIELITOLINDO774, the student who has $5.00 in your pocket and want them to "just give the teachers what they want" so you can have your refund check. How about GET A JOB! I went to YSU, graduated and have a bachellors degree. I worked FULL TIME for FOUR years and went to school and "focused on my studies." It's not impossible. It can be done. And just to let you know, those nice little refund check you plan on getting and living off of. You gotta pay that money back. Im just sayin! In case your financial aid representative didn't fully explain all that to you.

25misterlee(118 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Professors spend on average at least a decade in school getting a PhD. That doesn't include post doc work. They have hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans. They have worked very hard to get where they are and deserve to be compensated justly. How is YSU going to attract new professors if this is how they treat their employees?

26downtowner(2 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm sorry, if you do not have a terminal degree you have no business commenting on this story, the students are being effected by the trustees and administration that want to prevent YSU from becoming a great university, it isn't. It is a decent school with decent faculty. If you want to improve the university's reputation you need to do things that will encourage GOOD faculty to apply, and then do things that will cause GOOD FACULTY retention. You people have this idea that YOU could do their jobs just as well as they could, which is not true, or you would have a faculty position in a university somewhere. These people make less than most other state schools and the most jr members of their faculty are going to leave if they can't afford to live here, and there goes your retention. Get a clue people, put aside your jealousy that these people make more money than you do, and realize that education is the key to our future, and good education is only possible with good faculty who are willing to stay and build a program here in the valley.

27knight185(1 comment)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I think using student loans to pay for off-campus living expenses has become a real problem. When I was in college I only secured enough loan debt to cover tuition, books, lab fees, etc. Anything outside of that (car, housing, etc.) was paid for with a job. I lived with my parents and commuted to school. I have run into a lot of young students who no longer live with their parents and are trying to make it on their own, and it is a struggle. Some are taking on an enormous amount of loan debt for degrees that won’t particularly lead to high salary job. I have over $40k in loan debt for an engineering degree and pay $500 per month. There are students who are taking out more debt than that for degrees that will get them jobs that will pay them half of the salary that I make. Some people believe going into debt is the only way to attain what you want, but you have to set some limits.

Is YSU’s education mediocre? I think that depends on your goals. My first college had a highly ranked science and engineering program for which I was not prepared. Professors were more concerned with research and not teaching and they assumed that you had learned a lot of things in high school. My high school education was truly mediocre in regards to science and math and I had to struggle to play catch up in college. By the time I was ready to take more advanced courses I transferred to YSU. The professors at YSU did a much better job at actually teaching the fundamentals and I became a much better student.

28Westsider(222 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree with howardinyoungstown, by no means should the faculty be the only group on campus taking a financial hit. There is plenty of largess to be divided. Even the lowest paid employees continue to have a cadillac healthcare plan and a generous pension. I just can't afford to subsidize it any more. I will never be able to retire.

29mike10(84 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

The union understands the meaning of "LAST BEST AND FINAL OFFER"

30Attis(864 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

btw, anyone pay attention to that email message from a low-ranking training staff member at the Chicago regional office which ADVISED a YSU administrator to consider delaying federal student financial aid? Not quite the same thing as US Dept. of Education ORDERS YSU to delay the student payments, as was shouted out by countless YSU administrators (including the "pro-student" prez) and news reports. YSU administrators unashamedly lie as well as cheat students out of their money; who would've thunk it...

31Westsider(222 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I contacted the US Department of Education and was told if enough people complained they would likely tell YSU to pay out the financial aid - but I guess that didn't happen

32southsidedave(4777 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I think that most people who are not employed in the educational field do not understand what is at stake in this case.

YSU, as well as other higher educational facilities, must offer competitive salary and benefit packages to attract and retain top talent.

33DwightK(1236 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Anyone here commenting that YSU professors should step aside if they aren't happy with their salary is missing the point. Those people were hired because they are knolwedgeable in their field and good teachers. You'll excuse the students if they don't want to be taught by the next desperate person to take the job at half the price.

34Westsider(222 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I am employed in the field of higher education and I do understand what is at stake. Many employees of state assisted public institutions - not just faculty - continue to turn a blind eye to the competition for tuition dollars. For profit, community colleges and private institutions all compete for the same group of students, which is getting smaller and more selective. The graduates want to know they are employable and are looking for data to assure them. Yes, Ph.D's are experts in their academic field, but it doesn't take a Ph.D to effectively teach college students. I am a very effective college teacher with a master's degree. I would apply for a faculty position at YSU even with the salary cut - in a heartbeat. I enjoy teaching college students.

35PHISHIE(105 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone really believe that teachers unions will be eliminated? Doea anyone really believe that management does not have the obligation to fiscally manage an organization? The two groups must learn to compromise. Comprise without resorting to juvenile behavior. It is sooooo silly to see adults with PHDs accusing and pointing fingers at each other. How embarrassing. PHISHIE

36maeby12(9 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

The problem is twofold. No one person is in control of the university, like there would be in the private sector. No one has to be accountable. And the administrators who are in control at the highest levels are corrupt. Not all of them, but enough of them. Many received their hefty raises just before this began. In this calendar year. You won't see evidence of that where the salaries are published because those are budgeted/fictional figures. The very same person who is calling out a new projected deficit figure daily, in the millions, received a 30k annual increase in salary, just months ago. An unwarranted increase that is close to what a new instructor would make annually. And there are plans for much more of this kind of thing after negotiations. What SB5 supporters don't understand is if you rob what is left of the working population, it won't benefit anyone except the people already at the top. Whatever savings that will be created by destroying unions will be sucked up instantly by the corrupt individuals who have too much anyway. I applaud the very brave faculty for standing up to this corruption. Possibly, they can teach this community something in the process.

37Westsider(222 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

SB5 - while flawed - became necessary in part because of what is going on at YSU and the entitlement behavior of other public employees. I intend to vote YES because I cannot afford to keep paying for healthcare and pension packages for other people. I have myself and my own family to worry about

38Citizensforjustice(13 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I have a hard time believing that Cole is telling the truth about any administrator taking a pay freeze. Is that base pay or alll their perks? And what happens after the contract is settled? Seems like he is being less than honest with the public. After all he did come from the Vindicator staff, didn't he?

39Citizensforjustice(13 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I think it is called negotiations? Do you have the same concern for paying for Administrators health care as you do the faculty? Or was that a global question to include all education employees?

I guess we could just request that all employees have no healthcare and pay for it at the other end of the spectrum of public assistance.

I think this is what negotiations is all about. You take the funds available and decide where the funds are placed in an agreement.

40Westsider(222 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

You miss the point, Citizensforjustice. It is all public employees, faculty, administrators, staff and every public employee outside of education. Of course they should have access to healthcare and retirement - I just cannot afford to pay for it.

41Citizensforjustice(13 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

That is why I asked the question, because there has been no example set by the administration to reduce their salary or benefits, so why take it on the backs of the faculty?

If the numbers are correct, it looks like there is an administrator for every 4 or 5 faculty members. It seems a bit excessive to me. Maybe they could start by eliminating some of those excessive positions before they knock on the door of concessions to faculty. Shared sacrifice?

42WhatRUAfraidOf(85 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

doofus bonehead,

My "jelly bean" degree is in French and Secondary Education. I graduated cum laude, with GPAs of 3.7 and 4.0, respectively, in my majors. From a family where neither parent finished high school, I've always felt it was quite an accomplishment. I also have a significant number of graduate credits, but not enough in one field to have earned a master's degree.

Don't tell me that critical thinking skills are not taught. Obviously, you've never stood in front of a classroom and attempted to get learners to think their way through a problem or issue. I have, both in student teaching and as a trainer and adult educator in my current career field. When students grasp a concept I am trying to teach, it is an incredibly rewarding feeling.

BTW, so what if my son gets an advanced degree (actually, he's going to end up with two) in music performance and ends up working at McDonalds to make ends meet? What's wrong with working at McDonalds, anyway? Without art, we might as well go back into the jungle and live in trees. db - I'll have to think up another set of words to indicate that you are a real NEANDERTHAL :-(! Unfortunately, my creative side isn't nearly as strong as my son's and I don't feel like bothering with a thesaurus at the moment. You certainly aren't a Renaissance man.

ps - my son is financing his own education, so bugger off about the government subsidies.

43misterlee(118 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

If you ask a lot of YSU students what it means to call someone a db the majority would probably answer douchebag. It really seems perfect in this situation.

44DOLE2(594 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Boo Hoo...I want a raise...BooHoo I have to pay 5% healthcare insurance.....Boo Hoo... I can't afford to dry clean my leather elbow patch cordarouy jackets or re-sole my old pennyloafers.......BooHoo...who's gonna buy me pot?

45GOLDFISHIES(3 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Dear YSU Faculty Union,
First, I would just like to say good job to all of you on losing all of your respect you have "worked so hard to obtain". Your fellow colleges, who are not in the union, students, and other individuals in the city /surrounding area of Youngstown, Ohio, are appalled by your actions in going on strike. I know I have zero respect/tolerance for selfish, egocentric people such as yourselves. The individuals who voted for this unnecessary strike are obviously blinded by greed and cannot see that students out number faculty members immensely, and that WE, the students, are now the voice. This strike is about money. What about the students who now have to pay full tuition because of the block currently held on financial aid? Some students rely on the money given to them by the state to live off during the school year. Do you realize that YSU will not be getting the tuition money from the majority of the student body because we simply do not have the money to pay it otherwise without the help of financial aid? This will only put YSU into deeper hole than it is supposedly already in. Lastly, I, along with hundreds of there students, would be caught dead in any class room during any type of break because of this parsimonious strike. In other words if the YSU faculty union has any common sense they will call this strike off.
Sincerally yours, one pissed off YSU student

46adminstinkonice(2 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

If the finances of YSU are in that bad of shape with record enrollment and continually increasing tuition, it is a sign that Anderson and her administration are incompetent and need to be fired by the Board of Trustees. That said, the buck stops with the Board of Trustees who have also shown that they cannot successfully oversee the University and they need to be replaced by the Governor. Oh wait a second, there is no oversight of Trustees, hence there is no oversight of the YSU administration. Why are the Trustees, in charge of Universities NEVER given
performance reviews?