Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Faculty works as pact talks continue

Published: Wed, August 24, 2011 @ 12:12 a.m.

By Denise Dick

denise_dick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Youngstown State University and the union representing its faculty are expected to meet this morning to try to reach agreement on a new contract.

At a news conference Tuesday, Sherry Linkon, spokeswoman for the YSU chapter of the Ohio Education Association, said the faculty hopes to have a tentative agreement its membership can vote on at a Thursday afternoon meeting.

“The board and university administration remain committed to settling the contract in a time frame that will allow classes to begin without disruption as scheduled on Aug. 29,” said a statement from the university Tuesday afternoon.

The YSU board of trustees’ Subcommittee on Collective Bargaining and Negotiations met Tuesday for an update on continuing negotiations with the faculty union. The board did not take any action.

A fact finder’s report earlier this month called for raises of 0 percent, 1 percent and 2 per-cent in a new agreement as well as a reduction in the amount paid to professors for summer school and an increase in faculty’s contributions for health care.

It results in a pay cut for faculty, Linkon said.

The faculty accepted the fact finder’s report; YSU’s board of trustees rejected it.

When the two sides met in a 41/2-hour meeting with a federal mediator Monday, the faculty presented a proposal. Linkon said the administration asked for more information about only summer pay.

The current formula multiplies 0.0375 times the number of credit hours taught during the summer session times the base salary of the faculty member.

In earlier talks, YSU wanted the pay to be reduced, knocking the multiplier down 40 percent to 0.0225.

The faculty proposed a reduction of the multiplier to 0.0360 or 4 percent.

The fact finder agreed with the union.

The university offered a different take on Monday’s meeting.

“While the board, President Cynthia E. Anderson and the university administration’s negotiations team remain hopeful that a contract settlement will be reached, they also are disappointed that the faculty union’s negotiations team abruptly ended and left negotiations last night, even though the administration was prepared to respond to the union’s latest proposals,” the university’s statement said. “Delays such as these are unfortunate given that the union has filed a strike notice, effective this Friday, which puts both sides on an extremely tight schedule before a potential strike that would have widespread impact across the campus and community.”

Linkon responded to that statement, saying “Monday’s negotiations were ended because the administration’s team refused to respond productively to the faculty’s proposals.”

Chief Negotiator Stan Guzell said, “We did not walk away from negotiations. We ended the session by mutual agreement when it became clear that the administration had nothing new to say.”

Comments

1whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Way to many people trying to live just on student loans.

Never, I repeat never put all your eggs in one basket.

If you are relying on any institution to fullfill you life resources, might as well group you in with WELFARE class.

2misterlee(118 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Whitesabbath: not sure where you're comment came from but it's stupid. How does taking out loans which will eventually be paid back equal welfare? How does going to school to better yourself have anything to do with being in the "welfare class"? Stop running your mouth about nonsense like Rush.

3drpautot(70 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

whitesabbath, i AM in a wlfare class. i recieve disability, but i am going to ysu to get a dergree, so i can be a useful and productive taxpaying member of society. But what id really like to know is when did it become a bad thing to persue the American dream?

4Ypsi(57 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

What Attis said.

5Westsider(224 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't understand the comment made by whitesabbath. Student "loans" are just that - loans that must be repaid with interest. It is nothing like entitlement programs that don't require any repayment at all. At the end, the student will hopefully have earned a college degree - which is worth something in some marketplaces (not necessarily in the Mahoning Valley). I have the utmost respect for the work it took for the YSU faculty to get where they are - but to punish the students by creating an uncertainty as to the first day of classes is unconscionable, especially given the hardships most students face while trying to obtain the degree. Both faculty and administration need to be grateful to the students and their supporters - for without students there is no need for them.

6RustOnMyBelt(114 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Attis has it right. Johnny cannot wait to high-five his Wall St. friends as all unions begin to crumble at his feet. Will the Vindy Gov Watch site please publish those Ohio Business leaders that have recently given Kasich their support for SB5? I would like to know which businesses to avoid in the future-win or loose.

7southsidedave(4780 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

To drpautot:

I certainly hope that you register for a grammar & spelling class soon, "I" should be capitalized at all times and there are several spelling errors in your short post.

Absolutely fascinating, good luck on your "College career", you will need it.

8wren321(2 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Whitesabbath: I am a full-time student at YSU who takes extra student loans, that I WILL pay back, to pay my rent. I work full-time at a season job that does not cover all of my bills but it was the only job I could fine when the company I worked for closed. When I graduate in May, I will be a teacher, so I will be giving back to society in many ways. I am doing this to improve my life and to help future generations. I work hard with a full-time job for now, a full-time course load and internship/student teaching without pay, that would be the equivilent of 3 jobs, I am offended at your insinuation that students who receive finicial aid are the same as welfare recipients.

9Citizensforjustice(13 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I hope the faculty stands strong in their pursuit of justice in their contract negotiations.

I have not heard any mention that the administration is willing to set the example and take pay cuts and pay for their benefits.

Could someone please include this in the next Vindicator article if they have agreed to such measures as the leaders of YSU? Maybe the administration can offer the 40 percent reduction that was asked of the faculty to make up for the perceived shortfall. I'm still not convinced there is a shortfall.

For the students sake, I hope the administration comes to their senses as it seems the blood is on their hands in this one.

10misterlee(118 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

You don't even know what communism is.

11Cielitolindo774(2 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Whitesabbath you have no idea what you're talking about. The refunds everyone is looking forward to allows us to support expenses that we the working class have so that we can cut back on work and devote more of our energy on college. I personally know how hard it is to do college work full time and work full time. I took 2 semesters online while working 44 hours a week in a financial services department. My job took so much energy out of me after 44 hours in 4 days that the three days I had off I was working on my laptop 8-12 hours a day writing essays and doing research and I had absolutely no time for a life. I was sick all of the time because I was running myself into the ground. Those refunds give people an opportunity to not work full time and go to school full time. College is a job in itself. We are working towards better lives and how can we do that if we have our opportunity taken from us because people that don't know what it's like to live on 12,000 or less a year are having trouble negotiating pay cuts of 5,000 off of 75k a year??!!! Whitesabbath you are either an adult, professor, or part of the administration that makes over 50k a year or a rich kid living off a blown up allowance from mommy and daddy.