Chiefs of police and law chosen for Youngstown

Published: Wed, August 24, 2011 @ 12:10 a.m.

photo

Mayor Charles Sammarone

photo

Iris Torres Guglucello

photo

Jimmy Hughes

photo

Rod Foley

photo

Anthony Farris

Foley, Farris set to start Sept. 1

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Mayor Charles Sammarone made two key appointments to his cabinet, promoting Capt. Rod Foley to police chief and Anthony Farris from deputy law director to law director.

The two will start their new jobs Sept. 1, the day after the retirements of Police Chief Jimmy Hughes and Law Director Iris Torres Guglucello, Sammarone told The Vindicator on Tuesday.

“I like his thoughts on accountability, he doesn’t make excuses and his philosophy is similar to mine,” Sammarone said. “I wanted someone to go in there with the intention of getting things done. Foley really stood out. He is well-qualified.”

Sammarone also said Foley’s variety of experience worked in his favor.

Foley serves as chief of detectives, a job he’s held since December 2009. He also was staff inspector from January 2006 to December 2009, vice squad commander from May 2003 to January 2006, neighborhood- response-unit member from January 2000 to April 2003, worked on the community-oriented police-services unit from October 1995 to December 1999. He was a patrol officer from May 1991 to October 1995.

“It’s a natural progression to be chief as I worked up the chain of command,” said Foley, 46. “I want to bring accountability back to the police department. One of my main goals is to increase visibility in the community.”

Foley earned a master’s degree in police administration from Youngstown State University in 1995 and a bachelor of science in criminal justice from YSU in 1989.

Sammarone, appointed mayor Aug. 1, is serving the remainder of former Mayor Jay Williams’ term, which expires Dec. 31, 2013.

Sammarone said he wanted his chief to be someone who had several years left at the department and not someone who retired or is nearing retirement. Of the 11 other applicants, four are retired and two will retire in the next 12 to 18 months, he said.

The chief and law director are hired and fired at the discretion of the mayor.

Youngstown police officers are protected under civil-service law. If the next mayor doesn’t want to keep Foley as chief, he would return to being a captain. Someone hired from outside the department wouldn’t have that job security, Sammarone said.

Foley likely will see his pay reduced as police chief. Though he made $82,710.68 in base annual pay last year, he made $101,326.98 in overall pay, including overtime.

As police chief, Foley won’t receive overtime. Hughes made $87,915.10 in base annual pay and $91,614.94 overall with the additional bonus pay for longevity [number of years on the force], hazardous duty pay and for having advanced college degrees.

Foley also doesn’t live in the city, moving to Boardman about 11/2 years ago. The Ohio Supreme Court ruled in June 2009 that residency requirements for those working for cities, villages, counties and school districts weren’t legal.

“It could be an issue for people, but because I cross an imaginary boundary doesn’t mean I don’t work and have spent nearly my whole life in Youngstown,” Foley said.

Sammarone said the Supreme Court decision negates any concern he has about Foley’s not living in the city.

“My first priority was to have someone run the department who I, city council and department heads would be comfortable with,” he said.

Unlike Foley, who beat out 11 other applicants for police chief, Farris was the only candidate for law director.

Farris, 44, of Youngstown, has spent 15 years with the city, nine years as an assistant prosecutor and chief assistant prosecutor, and six years as a deputy law director. Farris has a law degree from Case Western Reserve Law School in 1991 and a bachelor of arts degree in political science from YSU in 1988.

“I’m as familiar as I can be with city operations, and I’m eager to see them improve,” Farris said. “I want to help the mayor any way I can.”

Sammarone said Farris is a hard worker and a good lawyer who works well with city council and the administration.

Farris earned $75,000.12 in annual base pay in 2010 and $1,436.67 in longevity pay and education bonus. He didn’t receive any overtime pay.

As law director, he’ll earn $83,948.45 in annual base pay and receive his longevity and education bonuses.

With Farris’ promotion, there will be only one deputy law director, Dan Pribich.

Farris will decide if the city should hire another deputy law director, Sammarone said.

Comments

1crimelander(122 comments)posted 3 years ago

Sounds good on these appointments to me.

Hopefully Foley can get the job done and turn things around.

2UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 3 years ago

I wish Chief Foley much success as Youngstown needs to end all the murders, criminal activities, and goings on in the city. I also don't blame him for living in Boardman, who in their right mind would want to actually live in Youngstown city these days?

3Photoman(1000 comments)posted 3 years ago

Approximately $20,000 in overtime last year?????

4One_Who_Stayed(236 comments)posted 3 years ago

So it's good enough to spend time in and extract a paycheck from - but not good enough to live in. . . . hmmm. Tell you what - cross that imaginary boundary and commit a crime - I promise you - it's not that imaginary. Its the difference between the city and the burbs.

It IS an issue for people. If he makes bad decisions regarding policing this city - he gets to go home and not live with the consequences of them. I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and I'm sure his intentions are good, but he'd have a hell of a lot more credibility in my mind if he and his family had to directly deal with the fallout of the decisions he makes - just as me and my family do.

5dd933(228 comments)posted 3 years ago

We should stop thinking of Boardman as being "safer" than Youngstown - the thugs don't know where imaginary boundaries are. The townships that get their water from Youngstown should be annexed anyway.

6Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years ago

"Sammarone received 12 letters of interest for the police-chief position, and said he was so impressed with Foley’s that he interviewed him and hired him without talking to the other applicants."

Oh my, hope there won't be a lawsuit because of this.

Good Luck Foley, hope you take your no nonsense approach and start to get the city back from the little wanna gangstas that are about as useless as a cockroach.

7VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 3 years ago

I do not agree with a residency requirement. If a new city employee is truely dedicated to his or her job, there would be no issue with residency. Many policemen and women live in other nearby communities and still perform their duties with the utmost care and concern.

As a chief working for the pleasure of the mayor, Foley must be on his toes with his nose to the grindstone, if he wants to make something of himself and The Valley's largest city.

I, for one, hope he does very well, as we will all be watching and looking for improvement.

8UNCOMMONSENSE(360 comments)posted 3 years ago

At $101,326.00 I definitely will vote to support SB5.

9Lovie0520(9 comments)posted 3 years ago

I don't live in the city but I would be upset if the top salaries in city government were not taxed as the rest of the residents who live there. It may be illegal to force them to live in the city. It would seem appropriate reduce the salaries of those workers who live outside the limit for the tax dollars they take out of the city.

10pgurney(274 comments)posted 3 years ago

Congrats to both men. I'm anxious to see if Mr Foley is going to be able to make a dent in the amount of crime in this city.

Especially anxious since there was a shooting just 3 block from my house last night.

11One_Who_Stayed(236 comments)posted 3 years ago

@VINDYAK

"If a new city employee is truely dedicated to his or her job, there would be no issue with residency."

I could not disagree more.

There is nothing that says that a city employee will remain "truely dedicated" to their job. And if they do in fact become less dedicated, 2 things happen.

1. Due to Civil Service protection, it takes just about an act of congress to fire someone like this (which is why it almost NEVER happens) - so we're stuck with them.

2. They now are in the position to make whatever horrible judgement calls that they want to make city residents suffer through without ever having to suffer the consequences of it themselves.

The fact is that people and situations change over time. Dedication is dependent on 2 things, a persons situation and a persons state of mind. If this persons state of mind changes, the only thing that can keep them in check is their situation. If they will personally suffer the same consequences of bad decisions, or taking foolish chances, they will be much less apt to do it because it will affect them personally. This is why residency should be the law (which the state stupidly shot down) and a critically important part of the hiring process.

I believe that Chief Foley has the best of intentions and dedication, and I truly do wish him well in his endeavors. Lets face it - if he does well, I and all the other residents of this city benefit from it.

Its just that I'm a big fan of checks and balances - and without the residency of these public officials - we don't have that.

12Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years ago

The big question here is , "are the boys in the hood excited over his appointment" ?

13ELJenkins(9 comments)posted 3 years ago

@uncommonsense- Really? With not a clue who foley is, it sounds like he has the experience and education to make a real difference in the community. Would you take on the job as Youngstown police chief for any less than 100,000 a year? I would still question it even at that salary. You get what you pay for in most cases and something needs to be done to clean up the mess that is Youngstown. The crime in Youngstown effects everyone in the valley. If he can make a difference, i believe it's money well spent!

14LawDoc(38 comments)posted 3 years ago

Some of you seem to have some real asinine comments regarding the policing of this city and it's leadership. If you don't like it, feel free to go down to a police academy, register, take the required classes, pass the physical exam and the state written exam. Apply and enforce the laws on the streets in the city of Youngstown. Better yet, go ahead down to the MCSO and be a reserve deputy FOR FREE!

No one tells a chef how to cook, a construction worker how to build or a mechanic how to fix their car...why do some of you feel that you can sugggest to the police how to do their jobs???

100,000 before taxes, OPERS and other dues. Get real. The guy works 24/7, what else do you want from him?? I bet the majority of folks who commented on this, don't even live within the city limits.

Man up, but I guess it's easier to hide behind a computer and armchair quarterback.

15LawDoc(38 comments)posted 3 years ago

Good luck LT. Foley...You've got a lot of good people behind you. Do what needs to be done.

16LawDoc(38 comments)posted 3 years ago

Captain Foley...my fault.

17VindyPost(436 comments)posted 3 years ago

Hail to the New Chief...Rod Foley!

Excellent selection, Mayor Sammarone!
A substantial resume that the City of Youngstown was indeed looking for. Thank goodness! This well-thought decision is for the PD and for the City. Best fit-well-suited for the job...unlike Jay Williams {after-thoughts} hiring a "DC Firm" to make selection for chief. (that selection could have came from Detroit, DC, or Raleigh)...so w/ Foley being a Youngstown native and simply residing in Bdm makes sense. His eyes and ears been on it all since the 80's! His experience is exactly what the city needs.
As for Salary? $87,000-$90,000 Base is Acceptable. (I believe will deserve more bonus per se w/years, and future accomplishments)
You just don't get paid peanuts for the leadership of YPD. Really, He's taking a "promotion" in title, and "demotion" in pay. No OT for Chief. And there will be OT for officers given recent statistics.
Some folks crack me up...they say they would not drive/visit on the southside or anywhere near the city avoiding the fear of murder and crime but contemplate/argue/analyze what an YPD officer will make at his job for "working" (physically) on the streets to uphold justice?!
As Law Director, Mr. Farris will have his hands full--but already accustomed to expectations and deliverance.. Let's support this team of directors, and leadership for Y-town and remember accountability is their concrete approach.

Congratulations to Foley and Farris --Best Wishes, Stay Safe, and in Control.

18One_Who_Stayed(236 comments)posted 3 years ago

@LawDoc

"Why do they HAVE to live in the city?? It makes no sense to me. Don't we all (private and public workers alike) have the right to live where we please?"

The answer is that private workers dont make public policy that I have to live with - therefore they can live wherever the hell they like as far as I'm concerned. If I dont like the policies a banker makes - I'm free to do business with some other bank.

If a public employee makes policies that are bad - or I dont like, my alternative is to move to another city. If that same public employee .that makes bad policies or choices doesnt live in the city they dont even have to deal with the consequences of that bad decision.

Thats why it makes sense.

As you said LawDoc - I think the new Chief should "man-up" and move into the city he extracts a paycheck from and makes decisions for that the rest of us who do live here have to deal with on a daily and personal basis.

19LawDoc(38 comments)posted 3 years ago

What policies can a police chief make that affects you? He doesn't make the laws, he merely is the leader of those who enforce them. It still doesn't make sense...nice try though. We're all free to live whereever we please!

20One_Who_Stayed(236 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

@LawDoc

He doesn't need to make laws, he makes something much more important that I deal with on a daily basis - police policy. He makes the policies that determine whether or not my family and I are kept safe by the police force that our taxes are paying for. I don't know of anything more important that a public official CAN be in charge of.

From your attitude, you are clearly another who does extract a paycheck from the city (and the public who live in it) and scurry back to the burbs at night,

It's a shame you cant bring up a single point to refute anything I've said - other than insisting that you can do it if you want to. State courts have stupidly determined that you can do that if you want to. The right thing to do is come join the rest of us that are paying you.