Financial-aid disbursements delayed at YSU for fall semester

Published: Fri, August 19, 2011 @ 12:28 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — Disbursement of financial aid and scholarship funds for Youngstown State University students has been delayed because of federal rules and ongoing contract talks between YSU and the union representing its faculty.

“The U.S. Department of Education has advised YSU not to disburse financial aid funds until we know for certain when fall semester classes will start,” according to an email sent today to YSU students. “As you know, the faculty union has exercised its legal right to file a notice of intent to strike. At this time, therefore, we do not know for certain if fall-semester classes will start as scheduled on Aug. 29.”

The email is signed by Gene Grilli, vice president for administration and finance, and Jack Fahey, vice president for student affairs.

“Given this uncertainty and the advice of the U.S. Department of Education, all financial aid and scholarship funds that were to be disbursed beginning today, Aug. 19, will be delayed,” the email says. “Payment due dates will also be adjusted. Both the university and the faculty bargaining teams are working hard to reach a settlement and avoid a strike. We remain optimistic the parties will soon reach a contract agreement, allowing us to start classes with certainty on Aug. 29 and to, therefore, disburse these funds.”

For the complete story, read Saturday's Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1Boomer(17 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

All the liberal, union, Democrats support FREE healthcare, until they have to contribute something. *Then* they become ultra-conservative. Idiots!

2wren321(2 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

First of all Boomer, your comment has nothing to do with this article. Second, the professors agreed to an increased insurance copay. The administration turned down the fact finder's recommendations. It is the administration and the trustees who have put the students in the middle of a fight they don't belong in. So before calling others "idiots", think before writing.

3YSU2(17 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

OK. So, YSU is sitting on my money because they cannot settle a contract?? Do the students get the interest YSU making on my money parked in YSU bank account?? Will there be an adjustment on the terms of the loans when and if this contract is settled??

4mufasa(26 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

If the start of classes are delayed, what's the downside of a strike for the faculty? They'll still receive their full pay in the long run. What's the downside of a strike for the university if classes are delayed? They'll still receive their tuition and fee money.

Sounds like the only people who will be adversely affected will be the students! Thanks YSU, thanks.

5Attis(900 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

There is absolutely no morally defensible justification for refusing to give students their financial aid on time. The university and the government have a contractual and ethical obligation to provide those badly needed funds to students on time whether there is a strike or not. This is nothing but a nasty ploy by a nasty administration which is using/abusing students as a football in their nasty game with faculty.

6byl(2 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Attis is exactly right, this is a political ploy by the Anderson administration. It’s incredible that a supposedly student centered president would allow this to happen to students.

Also to Mufasa, the faculty has bills to pay like ever one else going on strike means no pay until there is a resolution. Faculty do want to strike but if you pay doesn't allow you to pay your bills you have to look for other employment or fight for good wages where you are.

Many faculty could make more money in the private sector than in teaching. Most faculty are at YSU because we love teaching/mentoring students. All of the unappreciative comments from the public including students has me seriously rethink whether teaching here is a good choice.

7gfpalmer(16 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

The Anderson-Khawaja administration is shameless and punitive. They are losing the entire university - first the faculty and staff, and now the students. And the Board members are the worst ever! Fire the bunch of them. I have no confidence in their leadership nor on the Anderson-Khawaja administration.

8AtownAugie(701 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm awaiting a press release from Betras blaming this on Hendricks. Or Bush. Or Rove. Or maybe the Koch Brothers. Somehow, they *must* be involved, right, Chairman?

9Chief_Justice_Spartacus(26 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Gfpalmer,

I concur 100% with your statement. Anderson and Khawaja are shameless individuals. The Punitive side of them is from the last round of negotiations due to the fact they were exposed for misleading the BOT and along with Schulick. Doesn’t anyone wonder why Schulick stepped out to the roll as Chairmen? I wish I could receive the lucrative contract Anderson receives. Let’s not forget Khawaja who is collecting a pension of a $100,000 plus and $180,000 plus salary from YSU and an additional annuity after he retires a third time. Triple dipper, OH Yeah he’s Administrator.

Anderson tenure at YSU will for always be tainted. Who would have thought that David Sweet’s Administration would have been missed?? HA!!!!

Song: Money, Money, Money, Money, Moneyyyyyy, Moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

10Boar7734(66 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Please let us re-read the article. US Dept of Education has advised YSU not to release funds - 2nd Par & 4th Par. Payment due dates will be adjusted - 4th Par. And yes, students are the only loosers in this pyrrhic contest of wills. Maybe the administation / board and union representation / employees should read the De-facto Unemployment study by one of their own.

11Mika2471(2 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm a student at Ysu and I don't have nothing to do with their contracts but some how i'm put in it. This is money I have to payback after I graduate it is MY MONEY!! Ysu is just a horrible school we have bad winter storms they still have class we had a bomb threat on campus they didn't even evacuate they don't care about the students....Worst school ever!! When my last 4 semesters are up i'll never return back!! But what kills me is they wait the day off refunds to say something to the students...by far the worst!!

12Westsider(224 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Let me see if I understand this. YSU increases the tuition and thus the debt students and their families need to incur for an education - then refuses to give them money that is rightffully theirs???? So pay the bill and issue the refund checks - even if the faculty strike that means the tuition is paid and the student uses the money to prepare for classes - then run the classes with adjuncts. If every faculty member who went on strike was eliminated - believe me - there are many qualified instructors with advanced degrees available to take their place for the money and benefits they are conceding.

13Westsider(224 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Oh, and by the way, all Dr. Anderson, and Messers Fahey and Grilli have to do is tell the US Department of Ed that classes WILL begin on August 29 - with or without the faculty and the students will get the money.

14valleyred(1098 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

If you are against the OEA's potential strike, voice your opposition here:

15here(17 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

The fact that they waited until the day loans were to be disbursed to inform us has put me in a really bad place. I didn't need to pay my rent last night, but I did. I didn't need to completely fill my gas tank Wednesday, but I did. Now I have $9 to my name for the next two weeks. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

16YSU2(17 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I am a parent of children (two) that attends YSU. One decided to leave YSU. I will lobby hard for the second to leave also. This administration holding of the kids money and using the kids as a pawn in contract dispute is the last straw.

17Attis(900 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Someone needs to file a lawsuit against YSU for breach of contract, if not outright theft. How about a tuition strike?

18jorlando78(9 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

As a senior, set to graduate this December, I am a little disappointed in both sides. I think they all may have forgotten how challenging it is for their students. Most of us work full-time at low paying jobs, and do our best to balance work, family, education, and our finances. This semester, the cost of tuition, fees, and parking increased; and my texts will cost around $500. I work full time while attending classes and still need to take out student loans to pay for my education. I just received a notice from YSU that my loans will be delayed due to the possible strike. Like many students, I rely on those loans to make it through the school year. The $13,000 I earn this year is a far cry from the salaries of any of the involved parties. While they argue about benefits and pay raises, I have to find a way to pay my bills and feed my family. I hope everyone involved keeps that in mind the next time they sit down for negotiations.

19WilliamSwinger(341 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

This is NOT a ploy by the admin. Federal funds pay for students to attend. No attend=no money. The faculty are to blame for this since they threaten to delay the semester. Bottom line is as always- union crybabies are self centered and do not care who gets hurt as long as they get theirs. Go watch all the vids of these union thugs. Geeze, half the YSU faculty have been doing nothing but ripping off the overtime and whining about the union this summer. I see it every day. Stay strong Ohio and keep SB5 so these whiners get the picture. Fat cat salaries and golden parachutes are not for faculty.

20angrystudent(3 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm sorry, William, but saying No Attend = No Money is crap. I am only taking TWO classes through YSU. Three of my other classes are through TWO other schools. I've signed a consortium agreement to say that all my financial aid would go through YSU. Now I am screwed for three schools because YSU is holding up ALL of it. That's crap. That is MY money to LIVE on. Come Sept 1st, I highly doubt my apartment complex will give a hoot if YSU faculty has come to an agreement or not. And YSU not informing us until today is beyond ridiculous. I have a son to support. I'm not just some 18-year-old freshman who can fall back on mommy. They are seriously screwing with peoples' lives at this point.

21cbrandon(22 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

YSU is an absolute joke. It's almost like they love to cause problems and unevenly distribute funding. President Anderson does NOT need all the renovations that have & are being done on her house. If she was a fraction of the person her public image makes her out to be, she would NOT have done them or at least had them delayed. The University is known for throwing money allover the place for stupid things (ex: a glass staircase in Todd Hall that cost nearly a half million dollars) and known to not put money where it matters (ex: parking deck that needed replaced 20 years ago).