Protest in Calif. after Indian remains unearthed
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (AP) — Protesters want construction halted at a California housing development after builders unearthed Native American remains at what is believed to be a 6,000-year-old burial site.
The Santa Cruz Sentinel says about 100 people participated in a two-mile march Sunday to demand a halt to construction of 32 homes. Protesters held signs reading, “All cemeteries are sacred” and “No bulldozers on sacred ground.”
Coroner’s investigator Naomi Silva says builder KB Homes earlier this month found a partial skull or mandible of a Native American child buried in the grassy open space. A piece of an Indian necklace was also found at the nine-acre site.
Sunday’s demonstration was organized by a group called Save the Knoll, which formed about a week ago after members learned about the remains.