Breastfeeding is good for mother, child and the family budget

Published: Thu, August 11, 2011 @ 12:00 a.m.

Breastfeeding is good for mother, child and the family budget

The mission of the Mahon- ing-Youngstown Community Action Partnership (MYCAP) is to plan and implement quality services designed to educate and empower eligible residents of Mahoning County with a goal of moving toward self-sufficiency. Breastfeeding is part of this work.

Breastfeeding takes the infant out of poverty in the important first months after birth and gives the child an equal nutritional and caring start in life to help compensate for other inequalities in the world that they will face.

Recent studies indicate that the nation could save almost $13 billion in health care costs and avoid 900 infant deaths if more women breastfed. In addition, studies that have been done suggest that the practice of breastfeeding promotes mother/child bonding and is correlated with reduced instances of neglect and abuse.

Although studies indicate at least 80 percent of women intend to at least try breastfeeding, the breastfeeding initiation rate in Mahoning County is 34 percent — we can do better.

MYCAP WIC’s support services include Breastfeeding peer helpers who provide mother-to-mother education and support to mothers in Mahoning County reach their breastfeeding goals. They meet with WIC clients before baby is born to help mothers prepare for breastfeeding and follow up after baby arrives to answer questions and offer guidance. For questions and situations beyond the basics WIC provides an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.

August is National Breastfeeding Month. This provides an opportunity for us to focus on the multiple advantages to a family that chooses breastfeeding for their infants and young children. Additional information on supporting breast feeding is available from Heidi DiBacco at 330-747-7921 x1751.

Fawn Allison, WIC director

Marilyn J. McDaniel, MYCAP CEO

Youngstown

Comments

1whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

trying to get these fat lazy welfare breeders to actually do something would be amazing.

many times i just see the parent shove a bottle in the babies mouth just to try to shut him up.

seen the bottle hit the floor and mother just picked it up and threw it back in the baby's mouth. like nothing happened.

2ytownescapee(20 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

Breastfeeding your infant is the best thing a mother can do for her child. It gives them antibodies so that they get sick less, have less ear, nose and throat problems, not to mention that these breastfed children get sick far less than babies who are bottle fed.

Breastfeeding is really much easier, far less expensive and you bond with your child for life. Mothers complain about being sore, which only lasts a couple of days. What mothers really hate though is that they have to be there for that child 24/7 for the first six weeks and they don't like that. They don't want to be tied down and what happens when they go back to work so someone else can raise them?

Times are changing and we were getting back to natural childbirth, having the father involved as much as possible but it does not change the fact that these mothers are not willing to sacrifice that expensive, new car, that big house and nice vacations to stay home with their child or children. Why have them if someone else is going to teach them whatever values and morals they want. I don't see any maternal mothers anymore, just career women. It is a shame and one reason why this world is going the direction it is.

3whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

RE ytownescapee you state why have them ( children ) , real simple

Generation after Generation of Welfare recipients, wanting the man to take care of them through their offspring.

4peacelover(791 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

ytownescapee, I am sure there are instances of mothers not willing to sacrifice new posessions, as you describe. But I am willing to bet the majority of new mothers who go back to work 6 weeks after giving birth have no other choice because their income is needed to keep a roof over their heads and pay every day living expenses. Six weeks, which is the common maternity leave in this country, is hardly enough time to get yourself back together after having a baby! We are the most backward industrialized nation when it comes to maternity leave, in the world. Many if not all European countries let women take a full year off and still get part of their pay after having a baby.

5ytownescapee(20 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

@whitesabbath & peacelover:

I know, whitesabbath (I would love to know the reason you named yourself that name - did you used to like Black Sabbath and changed your life or something?), that you are talking about women on welfare who have babies, most with the father taking off. This is a big problem and I would never even try to pretend I know what to do about this problem and understand your anger.

Peacelover, I would not have a baby if the case was that I would have to leave it with someone who I did not know at six weeks. I could never have done this and as I said - if you cannot afford to stay home with your child until school age, or at the minimum three years old then you should not have any, period.

I agree that maternity leave should be much longer but right now with the economy, no jobs, etc. women who do have a job and can get maternity leave probably feel lucky to have that much. If you have a decent paying job then why not save some money for when you do have a child you may be able to at least stay with that child for six months or so.

I know what it is like to sacrifice and believe me I have sacrificed a whole hell of a lot for my one and only child and so far it seems to be well worth it. My husband and I may not have any money when retirement time comes but that is just another thing that I felt was less important than my child being able to go to college.

It seems to me that it is the breakdown of the family that is reason this whole world is going to hell in a hand basket. At least it is an important part of everyday life that is slowly but surely being broken apart. The children are the ones who suffer, and the children are the next generation of leaders. Are they well adjusted human beings or are they screwed up, alcoholic and/or drug addicted generation who go to their therapists on a regular basis?

All I am saying is that someone has to put values and morals in a child (or not) and you better know who that someone is and what their values and morals are before you put that six week old baby in their arms.

And peacelover, I know more mothers who could stay home if they gave up some luxuries than mothers that absolutely have to work to make ends meet. I cannot remember the last time I went out to dinner, let alone had steak. My son is 6'3" tall and eats a lot - if I don't feel that there is enough for all, I say I already ate and go without. Have done this many times but what are you going to do?

6Cheerios(4 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

What poverty can a new infant just born be in? This is what WIC is for isn’t it to provide nutritional food to low income families. Breastfeeding don't have anything to do with it. Compensate for what inequalities in the world they face? We all are going to face all sorts of situations & circumstances throughout life and breastfeeding don't have anything to do with how people handle situations. A persons upbringing, family values, morals, educational background, etc. Not breastfeeding. This part of the article makes no sense.