Pavlik moves on, no regrets

Published: Sun, August 7, 2011 @ 12:10 a.m.

photo

Boxer Kelly Pavlik works out

photo

Kelly Pavlik has withdrawn from his scheduled fight vs. Darryl Cunningham on Saturday night at the Covelli Centre and told his promotional company, Top Rank, that he will not fight Lucian Bute in November.

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Despite receiving widespread criticism over the past five days, Kelly Pavlik said he doesn’t regret his decision to cancel his super middleweight bout with Darryl Cunningham.

“The only thing I feel bad about is how it went down,” said Pavlik, who was scheduled to fight Cunningham on Saturday night at the Covelli Centre before canceling Tuesday. “I feel bad that it was a week out. But I had to make a decision. I had to put my foot down.

“Hopefully the message got through, and if it didn’t, oh well. I won’t fight no more.”

Pavlik opted to cancel after finding out he was due to make $50,000 for the Cunningham bout — more than $200,000 less than he received for defeating Alfonso Lopez in May on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao bout. It was also far less than he received for fighting Gary Lockett ($2.5 million), Bernard Hopkins ($3 million). It was also far less than he made against Marco Antonio Rubio ($1 million) — his only other fight at the Covelli Centre.

Pavlik also was unhappy about being offered $1.35 million to fight IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute in November, believing he deserved more for a title bout in Bute’s hometown of Montreal.

Pavlik’s promotion company, Top Rank, countered by saying he was receiving 82 percent of the company’s cut from the Bute bout — with a chance to make more, if the gate was bigger than expected — and that $50,000 was the best they could do for a Youngstown fight on Showtime’s “Shobox” boxing program. (HBO broadcast the Lockett and Hopkins fights and Top Rank Pay-Per-View handled the Rubio bout.)

Top Rank added that Pavlik was the one who requested the hometown tune-up fight, and they thought they had an agreement with his co-manager, Cameron Dunkin, on both the Cunningham and Bute bouts.

That explanation didn’t satisfy Pavlik.

“I didn’t want to cancel the fight, and I feel bad for the people in Youngstown, but everybody stands to get their money back,” he said. “I’m the only one who stands to lose money.”

Pavlik said he didn’t find out about the $50,000 purse until a week and a half before the bout, something he blamed on miscommunication between himself and his management team.

“I’ll take the blame; I should be more involved in my career than what I am,” he said. “I’m not downplaying $50,000 because I know that’s a lot of money in Youngstown, but I don’t have an easy job. I get punched in the head for a living.

“I have two babies at home. I’ve got to be able to count and spell. If I lost the fight to Lopez, OK, I understand that [amount]. But I didn’t lose. I won.”

Pavlik compared it to someone in Youngstown being asked to take a $20,000 pay cut.

“People here are hard-working people, and I sure as hell don’t want to punch a time clock or go paint walls or fix a roof,” he said. “But I get punched in the face for a living.”

In interviews, Pavlik has made it clear he still views himself as one of boxing’s biggest names, often citing his wins over Jermain Taylor and Edison Miranda. Others, however, point out that he has won just three bouts in the last three years (against Rubio, Miguel Espino and Lopez), lost two others (to Hopkins and Sergio Martinez), canceled four bouts due to injury and spent two stints in rehab.

But Pavlik’s latest cancelation may have significantly soured his relationship with the two top boxing networks, Showtime and HBO. Pavlik said he understands that, but repeated that he’s not going to fight for what he considers an unfair wage.

“If I’m not paid respectably, I won’t fight,” Pavlik said. “I won’t care.

“If I have to be the bad guy, oh well. I don’t have to fight anymore.”

That said, Pavlik repeatedly said he does still want to fight.

“I still have it; I still want to fight,” he said. “But it has to be on my terms. I’m not asking for [Floyd] Mayweather money or [Manny] Pacquiao money.

“I’m not asking for millions upon millions. I’m just asking for my fair share.”

Comments

1ROBERT(138 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I feel very sorry for Kelly and the tailspin that his life has become. Addiction is an illness and he is just one of many victims that have fallen before him. Once he announced that he could continue to abuse alcohol and drugs at will it was obvious that Betty Ford rehab did not work for everyone.

2whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

He might as well start selling cars and trucks, at least he might have a chance not getting punched in the face.

3youngstownsteve(75 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like this a**hole has already been punched one time to many. He still does not get it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with "punching a clock and fixing roofs".
He glady took these clock puncher's and roof fixer's hard earned money,now he thinks he is better than we are. It appears he sees himself above everybody else.
This loser should pack up his dysfunctional family and get the hell out of town. Maybe he can find a place where people think he is as important as he thinks he is.
Just a classless loud mouth loser. Go away once and for all!

4k9girl2223(19 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Do us all a favor and retire!! The name Kelly Pavlik doesn't mean s#@$ to Youngstown. You are a sore loser and greedy as hell!! Why don't you try working for what we work for. You chose your career not us, so if your tired of being punched in the face for a living maybe you should pick a new career.

5redvert(2074 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

"Kelly Pavlik still carries a lot of weight,” he said. “No matter what I do, Kelly Pavlik can still draw.”

The ego hasn't come face to face with realty yet.

As I stated before, you have not performed up to what was expected of you recently by your employers and were told that you would receive a pay cut until you redeemed yourself . If you did redeem yourself you would have big money potential after that. Your inflated ego got the best of you.

So let's see how big a draw you are in the future and I do not mean at the local bars.

6Laurieljc(63 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

7jrolley325(800 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

kelly pavlik couldn't even sell 1,000 tickets for a fight in his hometown, and he thinks people around the world still care?

8Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

"Can anyone relate to his comment about being asked to take a huge paycut at work? Think about that for a moment Would you? I wouldn't. "

Are you serious? He boxes for a living. His choice. How many regular Joes have to take a pay cut to keep there jobs? More then you think....

"“I’m not trying to be a cocky person, but the name Kelly Pavlik still carries a lot of weight,” he said. “No matter what I do, Kelly Pavlik can still draw.”

He must of been drinking when he said this. Really? lmfao

9carago11(44 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

He is done...turned out to be another looser from y-town. sad that $50,000 was not enough? when you loose fights and cancel fights and your on your last leg, that is alot. How many guys fight for less in this world and wish for $50K for a fight? Does he rememeber fighting for pennies? What did he want?? A has been who cancelled 3 fights going against a no name? He blames miscommunication on not knowing the fight amount until a week and half before the fight. Liar...who trains for months not knowing what they are getting? and a chance for another million plus if he wins. Who in youngstown would fight a guy with a chance to get a millon? Realty check for Pavlik...his name does not mean much and he knows his boxing career is over. He wants us to understand and feel sorry? And these people supporting him and understanding are loosers like him I am sure. None have any smarts I bet...He will be broke in 5 years. What a joke to end his career. Knowone will remember his success now.....just his stupid mistakes. Quit writing about this selfish jerk Vindy, HE IS A BUMB!!!!!

10southsidedave(4784 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

so what?

11Steelcityfightfan(25 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Enough of this guy...let's start covering other fighters in the area that are actually doing something!

12dmm151(11 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Since he thinks $50,000 is chicken feed for one fight, I would like for him to know that That is more than a years salary after taxes with me and my wife combined. The worst part is my son really looked up to him and was so dissapointed when he found we were not going cause Kelly cancelled the fight. My son asked me why and I told him the truth. PURE GREED!!!!

13mcgoo07(3 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Kelly needs to wake up. His name does not carry any weight nationally and barely any regionally except for people that are big time boxing fans. His name is about done locally as well. I know a guy from Ytown that was in C-bus for a fight of his when he was in his prime and when he went to a few bars to find the fight in TV they asked who is Kelly Pavlik. Ticket sales were horrible in his home town! This guy has no draw anymore.

14igotrugs(7 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

This guy will be on walfare in 2 years or less. One more black eye for Youngstown.In 2 years he will be begging to be a sparring partner for 50.00 a day.

15mikeyboxx(14 comments)posted 3 years ago

I wonder what his life is like now? Must be living off whatever money he made. If he was smart he would be working out and getting himself back in the game. The best thing he can do now is headline a club fight or maybe ESPN2 Friday Night Fights.