Abused dog faces lengthy recovery period

Published: Sat, April 23, 2011 @ 12:10 a.m.

photo

Chance was found wandering in Sharon, Pa., on April 10 with burns over more than 50 percent of his body. He also was emaciated and had three broken teeth.

By Jeanne Starmack

starmack@vindy.com

SHARON, PA.

A badly injured dog who was found wandering is expected to be at the vet’s for weeks, said a Mercer County humane agent.

Even when he is released, he will have months of follow-up care for burns over more than 50 percent of his body, said agent Renee Dorogy.

What apparently is a horrific story of abuse will have a good ending, however. Someone in Sharon already is committed to adopting the dog, which the Mercer County Humane Society is calling Chance.

When a city police officer found the 14-month-old hound mix, however, it was clear the dog had been through a terrible ordeal.

The officer found Chance around 12:30 p.m. April 10 on Vine Street not far from the post office and the Penn State Shenango campus, Dorogy said.

Chance, who should weigh between 50 and 55 pounds, weighed 32 pounds, she said.

Fur and skin were missing, and three of his teeth were broken.

The officer could find no one in the area to tell him anything about the dog — he was discovered near some abandoned buildings a few blocks down from the Penn State campus, and the area was deserted.

Dorogy said she still doesn’t know for sure what caused the dog’s injuries, which the vet estimates happened about five days before the officer found him. She said a laboratory is conducting tests to determine if the burns were from a caustic substance or from scalding water.

Chance will have surgery every few days at the Hermitage Veterinary Clinic to remove pieces of dead skin, she said.

She said she often visits the dog at the vet’s, where he’s in good spirits and “eating tremendously.”

“He’s happy all the time,” she said.

The dog even wagged his tail for his rescuers the day he was found, though he must have been in terrible pain from his burns and infections, she said.

The Mercer County Humane Society is offering a $500 reward for information that leads to a conviction in the case. Call the humane society at 724-981-5445.

Donation’s toward the dog’s vet care can be made to the Humane Society, P.O. Box 1046, Hermitage, Pa., 16148, or to The Hermitage Veterinary Clinic, 1500 N. Hermitage Road, Hermitage, Pa., 16148.

Comments

1steelwagon(284 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

What a terrible story of human cruelty.
This poor dog was apparently nevrer mean or a threat to anybody.

I hope whoever did this terrible act is found and punished.
If they were sick enough to hurt a defensless animal they are capable of doing the same to a person.

2boots109(81 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

just kill the animal ..why spend money on some animal when it could help a human...
i like dogs ..but thats it ..but to go crazy caring for them..people love their pets more than humans in need..its crazy..surgury for pets..spas...

3gr8bnretired(20 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

Boots, I absolutely respect your right to say what you believe and act on it, but no one is obligated to contribute or help in any way. Those of us who are moved to do so, will. It is an opportunity slow down and exhibit compassion to a living creature. Despite Chance's extreme abuse at the hands of very dangerous people, he shows great spirit and trust in the people who rescued him. I don't know if I could do that. I'm blessed with the means to help organized charities regularly, but offering a bit more to help Chance is a tiny way to add peace and gentleness to my community and my soul.

4Wapiti(139 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

gr8bnretired, what a great comment. I too shall be donating to help this dog.

I think what some humans forget is that the person that did this is still out there. For all anyone knows he or she is zeroing in on his next target...a child. All serial killers start off by torturing animals so yes this person needs caught and punished.

5fudputer(45 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

when and if they catch this son- of - a -bitch--they should cut his throat --sick bastard !!!!!!

6moneymoney(21 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

Dogs have better souls than 99.9% of human beings. Through all the horrible things that this fella endured, he likely still offered his loyalty and kindness to his tormentor. I'm cutting a check to help him out as soon as I'm done here.

7justonevoice(94 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

boots, you certainly have a right to your opinion however, I must add my opinion. I'm glad that not everyone feels as you do. My hat is off to everyone who aided in the rescue,care and rehabilitation of this beautiful little soul. I believe it is our responsibility to care for animals who cannot care for themselves.

8LittleMo(10 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

Boots: As others have said here you have a right to say what you want but, along with those other people, I will also give my opinion. Every time I run into people like you I get reminded why animals are so much more deserving than humans. And don't you dare say how much you like dogs since your answer to a sick and injured animal is "just kill it." An animal loves unconditionally and forever, and they ask nothing in return. That is a hell of a lot more than can be said for people. A dog will give his/her life to protect their loved ones but people are more quick to do each other than they are to help one another. And then we have people like you - the ones who tell everyone how much they love their dog but don't think that dog they love so much is worth caring for in times of sickness and pain, not worh going the extra mile for. The payback is very high for lack of compassion so rememvber that when it comes knocking on your door.

9janeyblue(227 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes Boots...let someone else finish the job you botched?
I shant be as kind as the others,you are a demented evil soul. You have no respect for life. I do hope that our paths shall never cross as then there will be no editing of my words to you.
You are a cruel and heartless life form.

10lilgandee(103 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

As I keep saying the punishment NEEDS to fit the crime! Why do they get a misdemeanor for a felonious act. Strip their rights away like that was done 2 their victims. I think taking Chance and giving him a better life so he doesn't think all humans are bastards. Heartwarming all the help he's getting but all I can afford to help him is prayer. You great people rock! Thank our country for folks like you!

11severthis(42 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

janeyblue, you too suspect that boots is our culpret. Certainly has the mind and absence of heart to be.

12JusticeforChance(2 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

I can't even begin to describe the anger I felt while reading the comment from Boots. Yes, while you are entitled to your opinion, albeit a close minded and ignorant one, so is everybody else that is putting forth an effort to help Chance. If you really want to spend your time, energy and money on helping your fellow humans, then you go right ahead and do so. Just keep in mind, that it was one of them that did this to Chance. He deserves every right to have a good happy life. This dog doesn't have a mean bone in it's body. He is the sweetest most affectionate dog despite what he's been through. He has every reason to despise the human race but has chosen to show unconditional love instead, to all thoses helping him. I am so proud and honored to be the one adopting him!! I can't wait to get him home to show him all the love and attention he deserves. Thankfully, people like you are few. The proof of that lies in the community that has come together to give this beautiful animal another "Chance"at a good life!

13janeyblue(227 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes severthis,Boots sounds a bit antsy and scared maybe?
No matter what Boots should not be allowed to own a snail. What a heartless being. Only those without a soul could think such thoughts.

14gr8bnretired(20 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

JusticeforChance, thanks for offering Chance a home! How is he doing?

15JusticeforChance(2 comments)posted 3 years, 4 months ago

gr8bnretired, Chance is doing great!
He still has a lengthy recovery ahead of him, but looks so much better than he did. And he is such a happy boy!

The Mercer County Humane Society and Dr. Kryger from the Hermitage Animal Hospital are amazing! Thank God for people like them!