Liberty doctor’s death ruled suicide

Published: Fri, April 22, 2011 @ 12:07 a.m.

Staff report

LIBERTY

A doctor shot himself minutes after law enforcement left his office Monday, officials said Thursday.

Dr. Nicholas DePizzo was found dead with a gunshot wound to his head around 11:30 a.m. Monday at his family-practice office, 4991 Belmont Ave., said Liberty Police Chief Robert J. Tisone.

“His staff said he went into his office after some law-enforcement officers had left and, apparently, 10 minutes after that [the staff] heard a loud noise,” Tisone said.

The Trumbull County coroner ruled the death a suicide, according to The Vindicator’s broadcast partner WFMJ-TV 21.

Lieutenant Jeff Orr, commander of the Trumbull-Ashtabula Law Enforcement Task Force, told WFMJ that the task force did interview the doctor as part of an investigation. No other doctors or medical officers were part of that investigation, according to WFMJ.

The commander did not confirm that the task force was seeking charges or an indictment against the doctor and told WFMJ only that “the investigation continues, and we are waiting for the results of toxicology tests on Dr. DePizzo.”

WFMJ reported that DePizzo has no criminal record.

Comments

1Lifesnadir(164 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

My condolences to Dr. DePizzo's family and friends. I never saw the Doctor as a patient but any loss is tragic; sudden loss is even more difficult to bear. And he was so young... very sad situation.

2palefoot(35 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Soo sorry to hear, I am very sad for his family. I was a patient of his and he was an excellent doctor.

3jgm820(115 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Very, very sad. Prayers to Dr. DePizzo's family and friends. I had the opportunity to meet him a few months ago - very nice man.

4walter_sobchak(1910 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

"WFMJ reported that DePizzo has no criminal record."

Innocent people don't commit suicide. There must be more to the story. However, very sad for the family.

5Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

An unnamed source tells us that TAG was seeking charges against the doctor, including a possible indictment. But the source does not know the exact nature of any possible charges against the doctor

6dedee1127(1 comment)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

I have been a life long patient of the DePizzo practice. My husband, son and myself were not only patients but friends of Nick. He was a wonderful friend to us as he cared for my father during his battle with cancer. His dad cared for my grandparents and parents and he cared for my family as our physician.

God Bless his family now as they stuggle to understand what has happened. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. We love you.

7CW657(1 comment)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Death is tragic, but it's apparent this doctor had a closet full of skeletons, other wise the police wouldnot have come to his office, and then he takes his own life/ Such a shame he saved so many lives only to send his soul to hell for committing suicide. My prayers to the family for strength

81970mach1(1005 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Walter;
Innocent people do indeed commit suicide. I had a friend commit suicide because of depression w/absolutely no criminal background. Happens every day. I have no idea if the doc here was innocent or guilty of anything.

CW6571:
Just because police visit a person or their office does not mean they have done anything wrong. Sometimes police get it wrong. Sometimes police get false information.

I'd agree the circumstances here indicate the guy had some sort of legal problem, but geez, we do not know what it was or how serious. At least I don't.

I feel bad for the guy's family and patients, and him.

9djpavek(1 comment)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

I went to to doc's office ever since he started his work after his dad retired. He was a great guy, and did great work.
I am so sorry Renee for yor loss. And Mr and Mrs Depizzo for the loss of your son. I have been a patient for close to 30 years.
I will miss the doc.

10sschisler11(1 comment)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Stan: Not sure why you felt the need to post links to his Facebook page. Leave well enough alone.

11hellokitty(161 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

My prayers for this man and his family. He must have been deeply tormented to leave so much behind.

I never met him, but it sounds to me like he was very much loved by his family, friends, and patients. He helped so many others; May he find Eternal rest...

12FYI41(5 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

My deepest sympathies to the Depizzo family an staff. He was such wonderful man an great physician, who has a wonderful an caring family. My prayers go out to the Depizzo family. You will be deeply missed Nick.

13becca(1 comment)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

To the family, staff and friends of Dr. Depizzo, let me express my deepest sympathy. I had only been a patient since Jan, but he saved my life. When other doctors would not listen...he did. When other doctors insisted I take a medication that made me extremely sick, causing physical failure...he didn't. From the first visit I knew I had finally found the right doctor. Together we found a medication in which I have been able to lead a normal life again. He allowed me to have a 'voice' with the treatment of my own health. A very rare quality which made him a very unique person. I'll be forever grateful.

14dominico528(3 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Sometimes the brain lets out certain chemicals that cause people to do things they wouldnt normally do and that goes for suicide,the person that is committing suicide sometimes dont even realize what they are doing due to the chemicals in the brain....Nick Depizzo was a great man and will be missed...

15jolenaf(1 comment)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

so sad to hear this. dr depizzo was such an excellent doctor. he helped my boyfriend, michael out alot. he showed alot of care for his patients. it is so unfortunate for his family to have to go through this. my condolences and my prayers are with them all.

16walter_sobchak(1910 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

1970mach1,
Yes, I stand corrected. I, too, have known people suffering from depression attempting and succeding in suicide. In these types of cases, however, it does not take much to connect the dots.