Campbell man gets 211/2 years for rape

Published: Wed, April 20, 2011 @ 12:06 a.m.

photo

Charles Hudson

By John W. Goodwin Jr.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

A 57-year-old Campbell man convicted of grabbing a girl on her way to school and raping her at knifepoint will spend more than two decades behind bars.

Charles Hudson, 57, who offers no official address, appeared Tuesday before Judge Lou A. D’Apolito of Mahoning County Common Pleas Court for sentencing. A jury found him guilty in March on charges of kidnapping, rape and gross sexual imposition.

Judge D’Apolito gave Hudson a combined 211/2-year sentence, the maximum prison time Hudson could receive. Judge D’Apolito gave him a 10-year sentence for the kidnapping, a 10-year sentence for the rape, and an 18-month sentence for gross sexual imposition.

Hudson will receive credit for the 554 days he has spent in the county jail awaiting the final disposition of his case.

Natasha Frenchko, an assistant county prosecutor, asked for the maximum sentence.

“He has accepted no responsibility and is not remorseful for what took place,” she said.

Police said the 15-year-old, a 10th-grader at Campbell Memorial High School at the time, was abducted at knifepoint on Tremble Avenue near 13th Street around 7 a.m. Oct. 12, 2010, a few streets away from her home. She was taken to an abandoned house on Gordon Avenue, where the rape occurred.

The victim testified in court about the rape, but did not offer a statement to the court before Hudson’s sentencing. Her parents, however, did address the court.

“I hope the court gives this monster the maximum sentence. He has made a mother’s worst nightmare come true. He has stolen my daughter’s innocence,” the mother said.

Atty. Fernando Mack, a Cleveland attorney representing Hudson, told the court the maximum prison sentence is not warranted because his client will be well over 60 when he is released from any sentence and not likely to re-offend.

He also said Hudson has only theft and drug convictions in his history, and does not have a history of sexually based crimes.

Hudson spent several minutes recanting the case and declaring his innocence to the rape charges. He pointed out he has several family members in the criminal justice field and said the charges against him have been devastating to his family.

Hudson told the court he did commit a crime involving the girl, but said he did not rape her.

“I was raised in a law-abiding family. I may not be the best example, but I believe in the law. I accept the law,” he said. “I did not commit the crime I was charged with. I am not going to say I am Mr. Goody Two Shoes, but I am telling the truth.”

Comments

1MattMarzula(109 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

21 1/2 years for 3 felony charges not including the weapons charge. Probably up for parole in 5 years. 10's of thousands in tax money to prosecute. Much more I'm sure on appeals. $30k a year to incarcerate. This piece of trash is not only guilty but not worth it. Hate me for saying it, but rope is cheap.

2bouyantkym(30 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I AGREE 100% WITH MATT, NOW THEY NEED TO GET THAT PIECE OF CRAP (GERALD TEIGS) IN FARRELL PA, WHO SEEMS TO KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT!!!!

3Iwannamove(61 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

castration probably is cheaper too

4Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Charles Hudson may not be a pillar but he sure is an icon of the subculture . He will be out in time to pursue his vocation once again . . ..

FEISTY CHARLIE SEZ . . ..

5steelwagon(284 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Matt.
Any expense beyond the cost of a rope is to much.
Unfortunatley this old creep is getting to the age where most people develope health problems and we're going to get stuck with the cost of those as well as his incareration

6captainpeewee(60 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

looks like he won,t be around to vote for Brock Oboma in 2012

7Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

NEW EXPANDED RIGHTS ARE COMING . . ..

Should felons be allowed to vote?
Standard Site
An estimated 5.26 million people (as of 2004) with a felony conviction are barred from voting in elections - a condition known as disenfranchisement. Each state has its own laws on disenfranchisement. While Vermont and Maine allow felons to vote while in prison, nine other states permanently restrict certain felons from voting.

STATES WITH PRISONER VOTING

8MrBill(42 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

That ghetto sperm farmer should have been taken out behind the court house, never again to be seen on the planet....

9MattMarzula(109 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

There was a time when this country had balls. Unfortunately I was born too late to totally recognize that. Now before anyone comes along and pegs me as a racist, I'm going to let you know that I use my real name, I'm easy to find, I wasn't born or raised to hate or judge people, I'm a law abiding citizen who's rights and exercise there of do not infringe on anyone else's. If the Supreme Court can rule that hate speech is protected under the 1st Amendment for religious fanatics who celebrate with their convoluted rhetoric when my friends are being laid to rest for their service to God and Country, then I'm sure I'll be alright. That being said I've gained enough knowledge independent of any organization or group to conclude on my own what is right and wrong and who is right and wrong. Cultural sensitivity and sensitivity in general perpetuates negative notions. I wouldn't have to worry about saying "Hang this man" and having someone claim that as being a racially motivated remark if people wouldn't have made the mistakes they did in the past and if people these days would move on. Prejudice does not factor into my assessments. But I'm not blind either. Reality factors into my assessments. So in the case I'm accused of racism over the above statement I offer this one: "Who's going to stop me?"

10whitetail(2 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

All of you are right, And I totally agree with Mr Bill. And where was his so called police family at? no one showed up at any of his hearings, not one person!! He is a scumbag!!!

11hellokitty(161 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

When this bottom feeder first went to court, I recall that his attorney ( I think it was a woman ) stated that this crime against the child was "consensual". Does anybody remember that? I think that she should be in prison locked in the same cell with him.

12Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Sure you didn't Mr. Goody Two Shoes....it was your twin brother in the police force your trying to protect. Got Ya! Useless DNA.

Matt

Right on! Or should I say "AMEN" (wait, that might be racist) lol

13Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 2 months ago

Just like many families in the hood Charlie's was deeply hurt when he wasn't released . In their eyes it was a travesty of justice when he was found guilty . Justice in the eyes of the hood is getting off scott free .