Boy listed as critical after being hit with bat

Published: Thu, September 30, 2010 @ 12:07 a.m.

Staff report

Austintown

A 15-year-old township boy is hospitalized in critical condition after he was hit in the head with a baseball bat during a fight.

Police are investigating the assault of the boy that occurred about 3:30 p.m. Monday at a South Edgehill Avenue home.

Police said that when they arrived, the suspect’s mother was tending to the victim’s head wounds and stated: “My son hit him in the head with a bat.”

The suspect, a 16-year-old Austintown boy, told police that he and the victim hadn’t been getting along, and the victim began making threats to harm him, according to a police report.

He said that shortly before the incident, two unidentified males showed up at his back door, and he saw at least 10 more people, including the victim, standing on the sidewalk in the front of the house.

The suspect approached the group and was punched in the head by the victim, the report said. As the suspect fell to the ground, he saw the victim pull out a switchblade knife, at which point someone in the crowd tossed him an aluminum baseball bat, the report said.

The suspect swung the bat, striking the victim twice in the head, dropped the bat and ran, the report said.

The victim was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center, where he was listed in critical condition Wednesday night.

Police couldn’t locate the bat or knife and believe someone in the group likely picked them up as the crowd dispersed.

A witness at the scene told police he was at Woodside Elementary when the victim said he was going to the suspect’s home to fight him, the report said.

Austintown Detective Sgt. Ray Holmes said police are still investigating to determine whether charges will be filed.

Comments

1Stormieangel(136 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Sounds to me like the victim went looking for trouble and got it. It is such a shame that some think violence is the only answer to problems. And where did all these other strangers go after the incident? Will someone step forward and say there really was a knife? The situation really required a call to the police dept. by the bat boy or his parents. But it is all hindsight at this point, a sad hindsight.

2Reader(126 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Why would the boy go outside the safety of his home when he saw all those people outside and knew the person who was threatening him was there too? He should have locked the doors and called 911. That aside, he had the right to defend himself. The person in the hospital is being called a "victim"? If someone comes to my house and I defend myself, I believe I'd be the victim. The "victim" in this case sounds like a thug to take a knife and a group of people to someones home for the purpose of a fight-ANIMAL Pack mentality! Seems he learned his lesson the hard way. He should have never been at the boys house and he would not be in the hospital now. I wish this "victim" a full recovery but I don't have much sympathy for him otherwise. Losing the fight does not turn a perpetrator into a victim!

3LittleRiver(10 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

My heart goes out to the family of this child. I pray for his health. You have to wonder if this would have happen had there not been a "Crowd" that probably edged this boy on. To me if your a party to a crime you are guilty as well and all those who stood by should be prosecuted. Hopefully in the future the police will be called before another kid gets seriously hurt.

4Handala(38 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Reader..."Victim" doesn't designate innocence as this incident has victimized the society that is guilty of coddling violent behavior.Or you may have also read...victim of drowning...single car accident...cancer victim...victim of a self inflicted wound!?Hmm?

5Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

An unfortunate shame

Where first lets hope the kid recovers and doesn't suffer any lifelong impairment from the blow to the head. Secondly where it should have never went that far we're at a point where most unfortunately it did. Where if accounts given are accurate the victim all but insisted something senseless happen for which he bore the physically injurious brunt of his determination.

The nature of the dispute needs to be looked into but short of having communicated a deadly threat the whole confrontation is senseless. As adults we need to talk to youth about the ignorance's of peer pressure so they don't falter to it. As well as dissuading any ardor or embrace for playing brawler or assuming the role of a bully.

See that's important because had those other clowns not accompanied the kid as his ogling audience. It's extremely unlikely that he'd have even embraced the idea of wanting to cause such a scene.

Where to go to ones house to pick a fight is bad enough.To include making announcements to amass a following signifies willful and deliberate malice. That's all even beyond coming with a weapon which indicates he was up to inflicting grave harm or death. Where to have punched the other kid to provoke him was assault in and of itself.

Where one would have sensibly rathered nobody got hurt. The fact of the matter is if this account is true the kid with the bat rightfully defended himself and he certainly didn't owe allowing anybody to stab him before he used that bat. Although lets include if they weren't going to play baseball. The kid that supplied the bat may have been a live saver but he was also an accomplice.

6Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

CONTINUATION:

With myself having had to knock a few guys blocks off before they caught on. I didn't use a bat, I didn't start the skirmishes nor did I like having been forced to physically wear them out. But the reality is some people will senselessly embrace a dislike for another person for no sensible reason at all. Where some will even physically insist you handle them in an abrupt manner because they insist upon it.

Just like a thief that intends on making someone their prey to accost or pilfer. Yet then complains { if they survive } about how the degree of their intended victims " back off " response delivered upon them. Is routinely if not always was supposed to had been too harsh,.. according to the initiator.

I share that because having had to go through the disgust of inflicting pain in a manner of self defense. People need to realize that the kid that apparently needed to have swung that bat against that insistent fight driven kid. Also bears an infliction as a victim for having had to deliver that back off blow with that bat.

Beyond the physical confrontation emotional state is something not all factor because not all people gloat when recalling physical measures they were forced to take just to get someone to reason with leaving them alone. I went through that as a teen and now as an adult I still don't want trouble and resort to violence as an absolute last resort.

But in my maturing as a man, father and sensible adult. The idea of delivering " back off " blows to those whom insist doesn't effect me the same as it did when I was a kid.

That said lets hope all involved heal and have learned better than to force something so senseless to happen involving them.

7starofesther(168 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Sad people disrespect each other and want to fight and kill....
When you hand a bat to someone you are helping and when you use a bat on someone it is intend to assault.....
I am sure the victim wasn't planning to go to the hospital ...Have some compassion for the victim..He made a mistake that I hope does not cost him his life...

8AtownParent(562 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

A mistake?! HA! That kid announced where he was going and what he was going there for and assumed that because he amassed his onw "gang" that he would be just fine. He didn't expect the kid to actually defend himself let alone come out of the house. While two wrongs don't make a right, coming to someone's home with the intent of bodily harm does not make you a victim when you get your a$$ handed to you. There are many of these types of kids in that neighborhood that love to bully and harass kids as well as destroy people's property. Where are the parents of this "victim"?

9browneyedgirl(2 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Stormieangel - Seriously? The kid went looking for trouble and found it? Like it's somehow justifiable that a 15 year old boy is in critical condition. Let's remember that kid is someone's son and the pain that family must feel. Nobody ever goes looking to be assaulted or beat to near death. I pray for the boy's recovery and peace for him and his family.

10Silence_Dogood(1383 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

brown eye
"Nobody ever goes looking to be assaulted"

How right you are.In this case, this kid went looking to assult someone else. As it turned out he had his azz handed to him. This kid should be thankful he is alive. If someone showed up on my front lawn and pulled a knife on a child of mine he would have recieved a BULLET in the head , no questions asked, no hesitation, he would not have been given the time to so much as blink an eye. Stone cold dead.This fool of a kid just recieved a life lesson that he should be thankful for, he gets to live. When you pull a deadly weapon on someone you open yourself up to deadly force by the other person, it is thier right(and a parents right) to protect themselves from the person threatening them with a deadly weapon.

11mrblue(1060 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Seems to me that there is enough blame to go around. We should wait for the investigation to be completed so the whole story comes out. I am sure that there is more to it.

12loveyou123(1 comment)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

reguardless of if the victim went looking for a fight or not there was no reason for him to be struck in the head with a metal ball bat handed to him by his FATHER .. and then repeatedly struck after he was down. .. if there was a knife on the victim where is it now? why wouldnt it be there? im sure a 15 year old getting a blow to the head would be down after the first blow no reason to continue to beat him which the suspect did. i pray for a full recovery for the victim and the maximum for the suspect. no one should be beat with a bat.. and especially beat after you were down. ... so suspect.. i hope justice is served and you know what you have done wrong.. and to the victim i hope you have a full recovery..

13Silence_Dogood(1383 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

"reguardless of if the victim went looking for a fight or not there was no reason for him to be struck in the head with a metal ball bat handed to him by his FATHER"

How about if he had a knife and was going after the kid with it, would that be enough reason for you or is it this kids DUTY to be stabbed by this PUNK.
I would not hand my kid a bat to hit this kid with. If he was on my property with a knife waving at my kid I would have CRUSHED his skull with the bat myself.Every day in America there are stories about kids stabbing other kids, well today the story did not end up with a kid in the morgue with a stab wound but one in the hospital with a few welts and maybe a broken bone. Maybe this IDIOT kids parents (most likely idiots themselves) will be able to teach thier kid not to go onto someones property and pull a knife on a kid, it just might get you killed.

14browneyedgirl(2 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

If the two parents and suspect felt so damn threatened by the boy, why would they not keep their asses in their house and call the police. The ridiculous part about this is that people comment and speculate about the value of a 15 year old boy's life without having all the facts or more knowledge than a very slanted and short online article. If you truly believe a boy deserves to lay in a hospital in critical condition because people took matters into their own hands instead of calling law enforcement, you are sick.

15dawgalong(86 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Just like my Dad always told me when he saw the bat in my back seat 30 years ago. He would say "you should carry a jar of Vasoline with it so it won't hurt so bad when someone shoves it UYA".

The moral was and is, if you look for trouble, you'll get it. Sounds like this kid found what he was looking for. Hope he recovers and learned the lesson.

16ohdrama0901(53 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

My parents always taught me to never go to another person's house to confront them because they just might have something there waiting for you. I don't condone what happened but maybe this will teach another child to think of the possibilities that could happen to them if they have a person scared of them to the extent that they could do you great harm. If someone came to my house to do something to me I would probably react the same way to get the person to leave me alone. We don't know what and how deep the situation was to have caused this child to bludgeon another child near death until the details are revealed and until then all we can do is speculate. My prayers go up for both families because I would never want anything of mine to be in either situation.

17lucie(1 comment)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Its a shame that these kids feel they have to go to such extreme measures. I do hope and pray the young boy recovers but the emotion pain will last as the memories will. As for the young boys who assaulted him, you will always live with this in your mind and as you grown and hopefully mature, because obviously that has not happened yet, you will suffer knowing what your actions have done. Karma. Remember that word, look it up if you do not know its meaning. Oh and I must add one thing, neighborhood watch? Or nosy neighbor?

18nicluv00(1 comment)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

This is a SHAME! I heard that the Suspects FATHER gave him the bat! and now they both are being arrested. So, that's where the parents were. Sometimes these Parents are just as STUPID as these kids. The suspects get what they deserve. The Suspect got kicked out of Chaney because of fighting that's why he's at Austintown. I hope the Victum will recover fully and yes even thou he egged it on he's still the victum

19Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

What reasons do you have to resort to violence to settle differences? Absolutely NOTHING.

There both wrong, the other kids are wrong, the parents and should chalk it up as a "lesson learned."

There is NO excuse to resort to violence.