Cat Ladies Society news conference today canceled

Published: Fri, September 24, 2010 @ 1:35 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — The Cat Ladies Society news conference scheduled for 3 p.m. today to discuss the group’s participation in an adopt-a-thon has been canceled.

Jeff Bailey, a shelter employee, said the news conference, was canceled late Thursday, and The Cat Ladies Society won’t participate in a weekend adoption drive at PETCO in Boardman.

Animal Charity removed more than 80 cats from the former Mahoning Avenue facility Sept. 15 after a three-month investigation into reports of sick cats and strong odors inside the shelter.

For the complete story, see Saturday's Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1computer_rick(137 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Knowing Youngstown as "well" as I do...

I am guessing that the prosecutors office let them know that they would drop all charges if the old ladies stopped making them look like a bunch of jerks.

"Daddy, why do you hate cats?"

2kfromtheburbs(23 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

The people involved in taking those cats and KILLING them will all pay because karma will come back to them in some form.

31970mach1(1005 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

To bad it was cancelled. Lots of questions could have been asked of Kim Koocher:
1. Do you think an RVT, which you are, should be handled to a higher standard of care when sheltering than other people? Why or why not?
2. Did you ever charge people a fee to take the cat they brought you? If no, go to question 3. If yes, then:
How much did you charge to take a cat?
If you charged a fee to take a cat, did any of those cats die in your care? If no, go to question 3. If yes, how many? And if yes, did you notify the person who paid you and refund the money you got from them? If not, why not, you claim to be "no kill."
5. Why do you think PETA and Animal Charity were contacted?
6. Did anyone involved at Cat Ladies ever complain to you about the care of the cats at Cat Ladies? If yes, what were their complaints?

4ConcernedCats(8 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Good thought, but I seriusly doubt she would have taken questions from the public. It likely would have been a pre-written statement, carefully worded.

5Indy(2 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Youngstown humane society has issues. I don't have a problem with them policing the people actually abuse animals and prosecuting criminals, but why break the hearts of the people who are trying the save the lives of innocent animals. Those who take the time to volunteer hours of there time because of there love for animals. Instead of killing the kittens why didn't they do something to help? Because of what they have done I will never again take a sick pet to them and will advise anyone who will listen to never use there facilities for anything. Go to a vet, the humain society only wants money and cares nothing about you or your pet. Because of what they did there are many people sitting around with an empty feeling in the hart.

6starofesther(168 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Angels for Animals are really Devils for Animals and Animal Kill Shelter Prefer to Kill ...They act like the Ladies Cat Society made them sick instead they were brought in sick and try to nurse them back to health... instead like some people killing is the answer ...Yeah They were being harsh with innocent lives....I won't vote for any of those that were involved funny how they are trying to cover up there dirty deeds...

7Werecat(71 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

1. Do you think an RVT, which you are, should be handled to a higher standard of care when sheltering than other people? No. Why or why not? Because high standards are for everybody in any job. We took great pride in how much we did with how little. Our cats were all spayed/neutered, FeLV/FIV tested, flea treated, de-wormed, vaccinated and health guaranteed for 2 weeks.

2. Did you ever charge people a fee to take the cat they brought you? Yes. If no, go to question 3. If yes, then:
How much did you charge to take a cat? Generally our fee was between $100 and $250. Or 25 hours of volunteer service.
If you charged a fee to take a cat, did any of those cats die in your care? Yes. If no, go to question 3. If yes, how many? One. And if yes, did you notify the person who paid you and refund the money you got from them? No. If not, why not, you claim to be "no kill." He was terminally ill with a chondrocarcinoma ( a cancer of the cartilage) when we took him in. The agreement was that we would keep him, or find a home to take him, for what time he had left. The vet gave him about 2 months, he lived at the shelter 5 months before he told us it was 'time'. When his quality of life deteriorated he was humanely euthanized, after his family was notified to come say goodby.

3. Why do you think Animal Charity did not participate in the bike run they had planned with Cat Ladies? They said they had a scheduling conflict. Their place was taken by 'For the Dogs'.

4. Who do you think contacted Animal Charity and PETA about the situation at Cat Ladies? What situation?

5. Why do you think PETA and Animal Charity were contacted? What makes you think they were contacted?

6. Did anyone involved at Cat Ladies ever complain to you about the care of the cats at Cat Ladies? No. Our volunteers worked hard to care for our cats and saw for themselves how hard all of the volunteers worked. They also saw me cashing in what little savings I had to buy food, litter and vet care, plus pay the bills. If yes, what were their complaints? The biggest complaint was when I'd get mushrooms on the pizza. The Pizza Moocher cats didn't like mushroom.

8BlossomB(16 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

1970 Mach 1--I have some questions for you. Have you ever done rescue? If not, why? If you haven't, then you don't have the right to judge others.

9betteboop(2 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I personally e-mailed and spoke to animale charity about cat ladies, the person i had a problem with trying to adopt was maria, i don't know a Kim, but i will tell you that any healthy cat I wanted maria made an excuse of why I could not adopt the healthy cat, I brought in vet referances and pics of my healthy cat. That place was bad. I just wanted to rescue a cat out of there, every cat I picked maria said "it was hers, it is not up for adoption"In my humble opionion maria was taking donations from the public to have a job and a kitty playgroud for herself, would it be nice to open a charity to support your cat hoarding and get paid from her actual wish list she called it. I asked her in several e-mails to give me information on her charity staus with the I.R.S. she would not respond. I called the state on her charity status(there was no such charity under cat ladies or maria) i will not disclose Maria's last name but she stated(she was the owner) Why was she not forth coming with the name of Kim? I also called Petco about the scam, here is the scam---I am a aniamale hoarder ask the public to pay for my animales and then I will adopt a few out a year----good scam you got caught. I will be glad to talk to the proscuter or Kim about every reciept , where did the money go, what did you buy with your charity status? Did your charity status just pay for kitty stuff? give me a break. You contaminated all these cats cause of greed? I have no problem with your society if you break open your records for every dime you recieved from the public and how it was spent, stop the excuses show your records when you were asked, and if you spent one dime of charity money that is not accounted for then you should be prosecuted.

10BlossomB(16 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow, that's pretty harsh coming from a person that can't even spell the word animal correctly.

11crosby87(6 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

betteboop... Maria has started her own charity, she has not been with The Cat Ladies for months. Any issues that you have with Maria should be directed towards her, and her new charity, NOT towards The Cat Ladies as it is now. I have been at the new shelter, and I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how much imporvement has been made. When they re-open you should make time to stop in. And be sure to meet Kimm, she is lovely.

12kittycare74(7 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Bettyboop your an idiot,,you have No idea what your talking about. It truly are idiots like you that screw up a really good thing ,so be quite and don't write anymore . Kim is Kim ,Maria is Maria and betty boop is a idiot.We are pulling for you Kim, And you are in our prayers every day .I want to remind you .you are a very good person and you continue to fight for those innocent kitties they killed.

13kittycare74(7 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

14melissa68(2 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Just to let everybody know ,Animal Charity is planing a pet adoption at the Family Video in Austintown in front of Rulle Brothers. It is Friday, Oct 1st from 4-7. I think we should all stop by and see if all there aninals are healthy..no running noses,ect. We should also see if any cats from the Cat Lady Society are there......I am sure they dont want the publicy...So lets give it to them.