Pavlik’s bout set to boost positive vibes

Published: Mon, September 20, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

By JOE SCALZO

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

After unanimous decision losses to Sergio Martinez and Bernard Hopkins in the past two years, Kelly Pavlik has been saddled with the dreaded, “Can’t beat fighters who move” label.

And he knows a win over Daniel Edouard on Nov. 13 isn’t going to change that.

“I still get frustrated with the fact of, it’s put in my head that I’ve got to have someone stand in front of me,” said Pavlik, who will start training camp today. “Everybody said I can’t move or fight a boxer and I did prove that [I could] in my last fight [against Martinez].

“Middle rounds, I was beating the kid. I just lost it at the end.”

Although Edouard (24-3-2, 14 KOs) is a solid fighter with a solid record, his relative anonymity and straight-ahead style has earned this bout another label Pavlik had hoped to avoid — “warm-up bout.”

“I was just looking for a fight,” Pavlik said. “It would have been nice to have fought [WBA middleweight champion Felix] Sturm, but it’s a decent fight.

“After this, I want to go for title shots.”

Although the Nov. 13 bout won’t be for a title — they’ll fight at 164 pounds, midway between middleweight and super middleweight — it can help Pavlik’s career in other ways.

First, fighting on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao-Antonio Margarito bout will give him an audience of up to 70,000 in the stands at Dallas Cowboys Stadium and another two million on TV.

“It bothers me not being the main event, but if you’re going to be on anybody’s undercard, Manny Pacquiao, that’s the one to be,” Pavlik said.

Second, the fight is designed to provide a confidence boost for Pavlik, who hasn’t looked sharp even in his recent victories. Add in a seven-month layoff and it’s easy to see why his handlers didn’t want him to fight King Kong right away.

“It’s a good comeback fight against a guy in a position with nothing to lose,” said Pavlik’s trainer, Jack Loew, who teamed with manager Cameron Dunkin in choosing the opponent. “He’s going to train his butt off and he’s going to come to fight.”

Although a loss would be devastating to Pavlik’s career, no one outside of Edouard’s camp can envision that happening. The bout was hand-picked to make Pavlik look as good as possible in front of as many people as possible so he can move on to bigger and better things.

“I expect a tough fight out of him and if we knock him out in the first round, so what? I don’t care,” Loew said. “I don’t care what the people think.

“This is our career and this is what we have to worry about. I know that after this fight, it’s going to be a major fight again.”

Whether that fight will be at middleweight or super middleweight, well, the Pavlik camp isn’t quite sure. Although Pavlik had a hard time making 160 pounds for the Martinez bout, that was more due to coming into training camp at 195 pounds than anything else.

“I’m ready for a title shot, whether it’s at 68 or at middleweight,” Pavlik said. “The hunger is there, believe me. I’ve got a lot to prove still.

“I do want to go back out there and silence the critics.”

Comments

1YSUGRAD(134 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

OK USA!!!

2bratwoman(24 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Kelly, I am going to be watching and cheering for you from the get-go. I wish you were the main event too, but hopefully one day you will be, once more. I've been a fan of yours from the very start, and know eventually that you will get the partying out of your system and be one of Youngstown's finest once more.

3lime60(3 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Question: Does anyone know who is broadcasting this fight? HBO or PPV? and approx. what time.

4Buckeyeplat(7 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Kelly
I have really enjoyed watching you fight and I am hopeful this is the first step in returning to your former glory days.You have represented Y-town well with a lot of heart and class.Best wishes in your upcoming bout!

5kpavlikismymotivator(3 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Kelly
Checked StubHub for ticket prices and they are WAY OUT OF PRICE RANGE of what I can afford to pay...so, sorry to say that won't be there to cheer you on. But if you strain hard enough you could probably hear me cheer you on from Ohio. Some of the "rich" people can afford to go-but unfortunately cannot afford a few thousand ($3000 to $10,000 a ticket for ringside!! OMG) for ringside and don't like heights (no 300 level for me!) so will either go out and watch it somewhere or have a KP Party and watch it at home. Good Luck. I have a workout that I do at the Gym called my "KP" workout and you keep me motivated to even go. Do my "KP" routine with some AC/DC and I'm off. I too took the summer off-now gonna start my routine again-back to gym with Nov. as my "goal" too. Have your "Forged in Fire,etc." picture to look at when I need a "motivator", Good luck. Work hard. Keep variety in your workouts so you don't get bored. Change it up. Start healthy NOW!!! Crank up the music when you workout too-it helps motivate. Gonna start making my new 8 foot banner to hang on my house for your fight. Support? You got it. More fans than you think. STILL proud of you and glad getting the chance to make yourself proud of you!!! You go, Kelly! This is just the beginning of bigger and better things for you to come!!!!! Donna