Chief: Probe indicates cop did no wrong in shooting

Published: Sat, September 18, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

By John W. GOODWIN Jr.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

A city police officer involved in the shooting of an 18-year-old Austintown man in the parking lot of a South Side bar may soon be back on the job.

Officer Phil Chance Jr. has been on leave from the department since he shot Cory Timmings in late August. Chief Jimmy Hughes said placing an officer on leave after a shooting is fairly routine.

According to Hughes, Chance has been offered counseling while the investigation into the shooting progresses. He did not say whether Chance has taken part in any counseling, but did say counseling is available to any officer after a traumatic shooting.

Representatives from the city’s law department would not speak about the shooting or the status of the investigation, but Hughes said the investigation into the shooting is ongoing. He said the investigation thus far is showing that Chance did nothing wrong and he is looking at bringing the officer back to work.

I know he is anxious to get back to work, and it is my intent to get him back as soon as possible. I will talk to him and make a decision on that,” said Hughes.

Timmings was shot in the parking lot of Pal Joey’s, a bar on East Midlothian Boulevard, at 2:36 a.m. Aug. 21. Chance was helping to break up a fight and disperse a large crowd at the bar when the shooting occurred, according to a police report.

The officer shouted to Timmings to lower the music coming from his car, the police report states.

Rather than turn down the music, Timmings drove toward Chance, hitting the officer and forcing him up on the car’s hood, the report states.

Timmings, reports said, wouldn’t stop even though Chance, who rolled off to the driver’s side, told the 18-year-old man that he was under arrest.

Chance reached inside the car, trying to turn off the ignition. Timmings then increased his speed, dragging Chance, the report said.

The officer, saying he felt his life was in danger, pulled out his gun and fired a shot inside the car toward the driver.

Timmings, shot in the upper back, sped away, but his car was pulled over by police on Lake Park Drive.

Timmings was hospitalized after the shooting, but has since recovered. Police are waiting on a blood test to determine if Timmings had been drinking during the incident. He has not been charged with any crimes.

Comments

1EricLW(66 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Timmings tried to run over a cop and has not been charged? WTF? Is something wrong here? This kid should be in jail for trying to take someones life.

2karol207(42 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree EricLW. Good kid or not that was soooo wrong n punishment should be given.

3Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Cory may be charged if he hasn't been yet .

4FifthAve(168 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with ImUrPO. If in fact the driver of the car tried to hit the policeman, then he would have been charged on the spot. Therefore the public should call into question why charges were not filed and why this policeman is being returned to the job having only been OFFERED counseling.

5MLC75(524 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure once the investigation is completed 100%,Cory will be arrested.I think the YPD is making sure all the evidence will stick,before arresting Cory.

6Stormieangel(136 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

If this kid hit the officer, throwing him up onto the hood of the car, isn't he guilty of attempted murder? And it seems the officer would have sustained some injuries himself if he was hit by a car then later dragged along with the car. It all sounds crazy to me. But when a cop tells someone to do something, he really is the one with the authority. The citizen can challenge this at a later time. Trying to run down a cop is never ever a good thing to do, even if you don't really like the buggers for they do have the power and usually they have the backing of the law. It is 'interesting' that this kid has not been charged with something, isn't it? But we have a legal system; we do not necessarily have a JUSTICE system!

7Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Youngstown justice is hinged on political aspirations .

8JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

It's official Cory supporters, your idiots.

Probably didn't want to file charges until this investigation was completed.

9southsidedave(4777 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Timmings should be charged with attempted murder of a police officer. By not charging him immediately sends the wrong message to the thugs in the community that it is OK to assault police officers and you may get away with it. Disgusting!

10JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Considering the publicity of this event, the police want to make sure they cross all of the T's and dot the I's before filing the charges.

11Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

There is the possibility of behind the scenes deal making . Cory may get a token charge and probation if he agrees to not sue the city .

12mrblue(968 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

He should have been charged on the spot.

13walter_sobchak(1847 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

The longer they wait to charge this criminal, the more they play into the hands of the conspiracy theorists that there is some cover-up.

14blkpride(186 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

If Corey was a black thug from the east side drunk driving a car with a stick The officer would have been fired.

15Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

bambam

"And now almost thirty days later the information changes again?? "

What changed in the report?

16L0L(640 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Well blkpride pes have a point.

17Bec(7 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow, you people really need to take up a hobby. I come back here weeks later and you are still singing the same old, tired tune. I guess this is where our tax dollars are going, to a police force who sit on the internet all day and play judge, jury and executioner. You all speak highly of our judicial system but you seem to conveniently forget one of our most fundamental rights - the presumption of innocence. You think you have all the facts. Think again. I read in another thread that Cory must be guilty because you have not seen him on the news telling his side of the story. Hmmm, I haven't seen Phil Chance on the news either. Wow, I guess he's guilty, too! Now, how ludicrous does that sound?

Cont'

18Bec(7 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

First let me preface my comments by saying that I do not subscribe to the notion that all cops are pigs. I have police officers in my own family and I have respect for these fine men and women and I appreciate the risks they take to protect me and my loved ones. On the other hand, I do not believe that putting on a uniform automatically makes one above reproach. Just consider for one moment that perhaps the story Phil Chance has woven is not completely the truth. Remember, he has a lot to lose. If the Vindicator had posted Cory's side of the story instead of Phil Chance's report how would you have reacted? Stop for one minute and try to open up those little pea-sized minds of yours and consider that there just might be another scenario of which you are not aware.

Try this on for size. Cory Timmings is in his car waiting to pull out of the parking lot. Officer Chance is acting like a cowboy, running around macing a bunch of people. He shouts at Cory to turn his music down. Cory begins to drive out of the parking lot to go home because the police are telling everyone to leave. Phil Chance jumps in front of the vehicle (though I'm told that he was never on the hood of that car at all). All hopped up about the fight they were breaking up, he reaches in the window and grabs young Cory around the neck causing his car to lurch forward. Wait now, what was that he did next? He had the mace and he was up close and personal. Hmmm, I can't remember, did he mace him? Ohhh, that's right, I remember now - HE SHOT HIM! Now, if I were Cory Timmings and someone just shot me I think my first instinct would be to get as far away from that person as fast as I could before they shot me again. Phil Chance says he feared for his life. Did Cory have him tied to the bumper? All he had to do was let go. He was not being dragged. Plus, just how fast could Cory have been driving when pulling out of a parking lot? I attempt to kill people driving 10 mph all the time. Somehow, they always manage to move out of the way in time. I can't seem to figure it out. Evidently, Phil Chance doesn't get it either. Please don't put him on traffic duty. He's likely to be killed! Now, in all seriousness, I know for a fact that Cory did not - I repeat - DID NOT TRY TO RUN DOWN A POLICE OFFICER. Can you people get that fact through your thick heads? Oh, and try to get out and get some fresh air. I think all this time on the internet is fogging your brains.

19Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

bec

"I know for a fact that Cory did not - I repeat - DID NOT TRY TO RUN DOWN A POLICE OFFICER."

Maybe you and clem should get together about all your facts.
Were you there?

"I guess this is where our tax dollars are going, to a police force who sit on the internet all day and play judge, jury and executioner."

That doesn't make the least bit sense bec.

"You think you have all the facts."

Nope, you think you know all the facts.

Is Cory your buddy?? Cory shouldn't even be at a bar at 1:30 in the morning. He's like, you know, underage.

20Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Bec :

"Stop for one minute and try to open up those little pea-sized minds of yours and consider that there just might be another scenario of which you are not aware. "

It was "THE PEA SIZED MIND" that was drunk, underage and looking for trouble with a cop !

21pens(20 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

BEC:
"If the Vindicator had posted Cory's side of the story instead of Phil Chance's report how would you have reacted?"

But they didn't..did they? Officer's Chance's side of the story is the police report. Again..if this is such the case of POLICE BRUTALITY then where is Cory's story..matter of fact..where are any of the witnesses stories?? Remember the case of the Warren police officer tased that women? Well that made national news...you would think if the story you portray is true then somebody would have gone to the newspaper or news by now..right??

Were you there..a simple YES or NO???

And please tell us for a FACT that Cory wasn't underage drinking..please tell us he wasn't drunk..I doubt you will because you'd be lying if you did.. plain and simple he was somewhere he should not have been...he disobeyed an order from the police...so get it thru YOUR pea-sized brain..that he broke the law!!

22Hillary(43 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Bec,

I believe you and many others do.

Hang in there.

There should have outside investigators. I do not understand how they can say the investigation is still underway, yet print this article. It proves bias.

Stan,

To be fair to the officer, as I have friends on the YPD, he should be considered human and have to go to anger management and counseling. Maybe this type of punishment would eliminate altering reports. A lot of good people get hurt by lies.

23Hillary(43 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Bec,

I believe you and many others do.

Hang in there.

Stan,

You may be right. There may be some deal making in the background because this boy is certainly far from a thug and should not have been shot by no means. He is a nice boy, great hockey player, friendly, and respectful. If we went by what happened here as proper action, our teenagers would be getting shot every weekend. Teens just wanna have fun.

24onthetown(254 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

This incident happened two months ago.

Still no actual "report" of the investigation of the incident.

Still no explanation as to why ramapant underage drinking was permitted/encouraged at a bar where an off-duty police officer was working at the door.

Still no charges filed against Pal Joey's for serving alcohol to minors.

Still no charges filed against Cory Timmings.

Only a vague statement that Phil Chance Jr did no wrong and has been offered counseling and really wants to get back out there. (Not to mention that "According to Hughes, punishment could still be an option if it is determined that Chance was in the wrong, but investigators do not believe that is the case.")

And no follow-up from the Vindicator for the past month.

25onthetown(254 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I guess this is just old news now.. and in spite of the 300+ comments on the previous article, no one cares if there is resolution of any kind?