More than 70 cats taken from Cat Ladies Society

Published: Thu, September 16, 2010 @ 12:06 a.m.

By Denise Dick

denise_dick@vindy.com

youngstowN

Agents and officers from Animal Charity removed more than 70 cats from a Mahoning Avenue rescue facility.

Nikole Baringer, chief executive officer of Animal Charity, said no charges have been filed, and the investigation of the Cat Ladies Society is ongoing.

She said that the investigation started in June at the former shelter location on Mahoning when Animal Charity discovered sick cats and strong odors.

“We talked to them. We wanted to work with them,” Baringer said, adding that agents told the shelter to clean up the facility.

When agents returned two to three weeks later, the situation was a bit better, Baringer said. At that time, the shelter was getting ready to move to its new location, also on Mahoning.

“Since then we received numerous e-mail complaints, and PETA also had received several complaints [about the facility] from our area,” Baringer said.

Those complaints came from former volunteers who had what Baringer called “strong evidence” of problems at the shelter. Because it’s an ongoing investigation, Baringer declined to divulge what that evidence is.

But she said it was strong enough for agents to secure warrants to enter the shelter Wednesday afternoon.

Agents found sick cats that weren’t being treated for their illnesses, Baringer said.

“There are cats with runny noses, runny eyes, diarrhea, upper-respiratory illnesses,” she said.

There also were sick cats mixed in with healthy ones in one area of the shelter, Baringer said.

“You can’t do that,” she said. “Cats transmit disease so easily — from litter boxes, eating, drinking or even just touching their noses.”

Animal Charity also could find no veterinarian who acknowledged treating cats at the shelter, though one vet said he has done spaying and neutering for the cats, the Animal Charity CEO said.

Owner Kimm Koocher couldn’t be reached, but a volunteer who answered the phone at the shelter said the allegations aren’t true.

She declined to provide her name but said the cats are cared for by a veterinarian.

A post on the shelter’s website, thecatladiessociety.com, dated Sept. 11, said a virus has been making its way through the shelter.

“All recouperating [sic] cats and kittens are getting daily medications prescribed by our vet,” it says. “Even though we have quarantined the recouperating [sic] animals, we would prefer to break the cycle of all the germ sharing by having our kitties go to foster homes while they recover. With loving attention, they should recover within a week or two.”

Baringer said that Animal Charity got a list of foster homes that have the sick cats and plans to contact those individuals today.

The cats that were removed, all of those in the shelter, will be examined by Animal Charity’s veterinarians to determine a course of action.

Baringer said that the new facility, which was scheduled for a grand opening this weekend, is beautiful.

“I don’t know who their funding comes from, but instead of putting that money into the facility, they should have used it to care for the animals,” she said.

Comments

1CassAnn(252 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I smell a rat.. mainly the shelters that gleefully kill animals while they hold their hands out for donations. Bacteria and viruses can spread thru a animal shelter the same way they spread thru a hospital or nursing home. Only difference is hospitals and nursing homes rarely get raided and we don't put humans to sleep. In reality Animal Charity is a competing KILL animal shelter and shouldn't be involved at all- they will hardly be impartial.

2Lifesnadir(164 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

1. "Strong odors" can be from any male cat for several weeks after neutering. The odor comes from the anal glands, which improves once the gland is expressed prior to neutering and the neutering done.

2. Viruses DO go through cats in close contact. BUT that is absolutely NO REASON to remove the cats! The exact same thing can happen in ANY shelter. In fact, most county shelters have rampant upper respiratory infections and eye infections in their cats too.

3. On all my vists to CLS, it was clean, well-staffed, and the cats appeared to be "cared for". "Cared for" is an ongoing effort. Volunteers were holding, petting, and cleaning up after the animals.

4. The cats at CLS were friendly-- many jumped into my lap for scritches and hugs. For a shelter, very few acted shy or skittish. They all, of course, wanted a "forever home" and the cats were keen to let visitors know "I want to go home!"

I think Animal Charity needs to put their noses into the word "charity" (ha--they aren't very charitable there), and get out of the "Humane Warden" role. Animal Charity will KILL animals simply because "we have too many" as I was told once when I called there.

I'd rather see cats at CLS than at AC anytime!

3Lifesnadir(164 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

One more thing......

Why isn't the Vindicator questioning the Humane Agents about why those cats (in carriers) were put in the back of an OPEN truck bed? How UNSAFE can you be?!! I saw the video of them loading the carriers into the truck and I gasped. One pothole, one quick braking action, one accident and ALL those animals could have been in danger! The carriers were not tied down, blocked in, or made safe before transport. If a citizen was shown traveling with their cat/s in an unrestrained carrier in the back of an open pick-up truck, we'd be cited for sure!

I just want to yell, "What's wrong with you idiots? Those cats aren't bags of flour that you're putting in an open truck bed. What stupidity!"

4Conservatism_Will_Prospers(91 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

The Cat Ladies Society took in the worst of the worst cats off of the streets. Even thought some of these cats had missing eyes, hit by cars, and or ill upon arrival the Cat Ladies Society refused to have the animals uthanized. Upon my few visits down there I observed that the old building was far to small to handle their current housing demands. The new shelter was almost three times as large as the old shelter and much more organized. The sick cats were kept downstairs for treatment while being separated from the healthy cats that were kept upstairs. What we have witnessed here is a rotten jealous few who have ruined the lives of 10's of stray and desparate cats. When the owners of these cats refused to take care of them the Cat Ladies Society did not! There isn't another No-Kill shelter within 60 miles that refuses to kill cats under any circumstances. The City of Youngstown has committed a grave injustice to its citizens and hurt many who were only trying to help. To all of those who helped the City of Youngstown see only the negative I hope that God will have mercy on your souls!

5jorlando78(9 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

So let me see if I have this right. In June, Animal Charity began its investigation. They told the Cat Ladies to "clean up the shelter". A few weeks later, they returned and the Cat Ladies had improved the situation. Since Animal Charity did not seize the animals on that second visit, I think it's safe to assume that the shelter's standards met Animal Charity's criteria to allow it to continue taking care of the cats. After two months (during which no additional follow-up visits were made), Animal Charity suddenly has new evidence and raids the new facility? Something does not add up.

I especially love Baringer's last statement, “I don’t know who their funding comes from, but instead of putting that money into the facility, they should have used it to care for the animals." Isn't moving to a newer shelter improving the care of the animals? Isn't that what Animal Charity told them to do (clean up the facility)?

How can Animal Charity seize the cats based on their previous living conditions when the conditions were obviously satisfactory at the time?

6jorlando78(9 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

It's also funny that Animal Charity, in its quest to "rescue" these animals, is going to have them examined by a veterinarian to "determine a course of action." What exactly does that mean?

The ONLY course of action for the Cat Ladies was to rehabilitate the sick, injured, and 'defective' cats that no one else wanted. The Cat Ladies have adopted out cats missing legs and eyes, cats that are paralyzed, and cats that are blind. They have rescued kittens from the turning lane on RT224 in Boardman. They have bottle fed dozens of day-old kittens thrown away in dumpsters.

If Animal Charities' possible "course of action" includes euthanizing even one of these cats, how is that rescuing them?

7Conservatism_Will_Prospers(91 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Remember our tax dollars are involved here!

8WhatRUAfraidOf(85 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I stopped in at the old building a few times and thought that the cats looked like someone was taking care of them. I was a bit concerned about the odor, but with so many cats, I thought that it could be from them spraying to establish "territory". Often, if a male cat has reached full maturity before being neutered, it will continue to spray to mark its territory. With 70-odd cats, that could have been the reason. The cats did seem well-fed and were clean.

I was also worried about the appearance of some of the cats' eyes because some of them seemed to have "colds" in them. My 17+ year-old kitty sometimes has weepy eyes, but the vet said that happens with elderly cats just like with elderly humans and there was no infection or any disease causing it.

That being said, there was a little black kitten who climbed up all the way to my shoulder on the last visit and sat there. It was ADORABLE!!!! I couldn't take it home because my "grand old man" might have trouble adjusting to a new kitten and I was a little concerned about its health. If it is still with the cats that were seized and is healthy, I would adopt it in a second and just let my kitty slowly adjust to it.

I know the hearts of the Cat Ladies were in the right place. They seemed very compassionate and caring about the cats that were in the shelter. I'm wondering if they just didn't have enough funds to take care of all the cats. Moving to a new shelter would help alleviate the overcrowding, so I don't think it was wrong to spend some money on that. I'm mainly worried about the vet care for the kitties.

Perhaps the Vindicator could provide information on the cats after they have been assessed by the Animal Charity vets so people could look to adopt one. I feel bad for the Cat Ladies because it seems they were trying their best. I hope there is some follow-up, especially if they are exonerated.

9tracy0108(6 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the news this morning. Putting what looked to be 20 or so cats, stuffed in carriers in the bed of an open truck!! They should maybe check out their own supposed "humane officers". The cats shown on the news appeared to be in very good health. ANY place housing that many cats is bound to have odors and medical problems. I feel bad for the people that have tried to help so many unwanted cats and this is what happened.

10TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Smells like someone hasn't been given a monthly stuffed envelope with fifties in it, instead of a stinky litter box.

11ELJenkins(9 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Wasn't there an article not long ago about the Lariccia (sp?) family donating a large amount of money to them? Anyone remember something like this?

12maxi(71 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

This raid and the seizing of cats is political, atrocious, and unwarranted.

While dogs are my pets of choice, I so appreciate the work of the Cat Ladies Society. I personally know 2 of its volunteers, and have met 2 other volunteers. I can tell you with 100% certainty that their hearts are in the right place.

The one volunteer monitors the ads for all of the stores in the area to find the best price for cat litter. Then she and another volunteer do their shopping, loading her own personal vehicle up with containers of litter.

So tell me Animal Charity, what is your alternative care for the 75 cats that you seized? Are you going to kill them? Who is going to care for the cats that you don't kill? Can you find 70+ fosters? Who is going to pay for all the vet care that you claim you are going to give the seized cats?

I agree with one of the above posts. I smell a rat. Several rats! And Nikole Baringer is leading that rat pack. Mahoning County taxpayers should be in an uproar about this! Believe it or not, it's your tax dollars at work here.

I demand:
1). The return of all cats to the Cat Ladies Society
2). A formal apology to the CLS.
3). An formal investigation of the operations of Animal Charity.
4). Presentation of the results of the Animal Charity investigation to the public. Mahoning County, you owe it to your taxpayers!

Hmmmm....sounds to me like a little bit of jealousy on the part of the rat pack leader Nikole Baringer. Jealous because kind, loving, generous philanthropists Mr. & Mrs. Tony Lariccia gave a heartfelt donation to the Cat Ladies Society to complete the renovation of their new facility? And by the way Ms. Baringer, what is wrong with providing a more functional facility to improve the work the CLS are doing? For pete sake, look at the Angels for Animals facility.

I will be following this closely. As we all should be. Stop the corruption...pretty sad when it's also in Animal Charity.

God Bless the owner and all of the volunteers of the Cat Ladies Society!

13southsidedave(4777 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

More efforts should be placed on having pets spayed or nuetered to prevent the births of unwanted litters, which contributes to the overpopulation of animals and utilmately to animal rescue shelters.

14maxi(71 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

It's my understanding southsidedave that all of the cats at CLS are spayed/neutered.

And I agree with you, there should always be an emphasis on spaying/neutering.

15mrma75(2 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I think some thing is really wrong with what is going on with CLS I have taken care of there kittens .. bottled feed them day in and day out ever 4 hrs .. I don't see A.C step up when they find little ones like that and I'm sure they just kill bag and freeze . I know no one can save every animal out there but There are charities that are busting there BUTT! to try and then a few calls and here comes human society and A .C. .. I foster alot for all charities and this is making me SICK to my stomach . I hope the courts go out and see for them self ,,that a BIG mistake has been made.. and on the note of A.C. putting those cat cages in the back of the tuck no tie down .. some charges should be brought on them ... for that .. what would have happen if they fell out of the bed of that truck.. and they all had smirks on there faces as they went in and out .... like there were happy about what they were doing.. Before any thing is done VINDY how about you do some checking the CLS out then check out A.C out to .By the way My daughter has two of CLS cats Alley and Gracie both of who are missing a leg and thank god they didn't put them down .. they are a great part of our family ..

16RubyGirl(22 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Let Animal Charity prove the need for this raid. They must have taken photographic and video evidence of the supposed conditions. What harm could there be in making those public even if the investigation is ongoing? If it proves their case, they would release them. It seems to me this is a case of what people in the rescue community call "rescue snobbery." Everyone thinks their shelter is perfect and likes to bash all others when in reality, we are all working towards the same goal and would be able to do so much more if we worked together instead pitted ourselves against each other.
If there was neglect and animals were suffering, then any rescue group / facility should absolutely be investigated. However, it should be the same standards and treatment for all groups. Given all the negative publicity Animal Charity and its agents have received over the last year, you would think they would be extra careful in their actions...

17believehalfofwhatusee(5 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Regarding Animal Charity the Better Business Bureau website sez:
"This organization has been evaluated in relation to the 20 BBB Standards for Charitable Accountability.
This organization does not meet the following BBB Standard(s) for Local Charitable Accountability :"

go to this link for more info: http://www.bbb.org/youngstown/busines...

18CassAnn(252 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope the CLS sues the pants off of everyone involved in that raid.. make them think twice before they pull these kinds of dirty tactics anymore.

19catzrule(25 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

The Cat Ladies need a lawyer to prevent Animal Charity from killing these cats. They need to sue them. Check out the postings on the Discussion:Talk of the Valley thread regarding the Starved Draft Horse in Beaver Township. Read about the starved to death horses, and the cattle (14 dead Longhorns in Ellsworth) that Animal Charity will not write cases on. Read about the Federal Lawsuit regarding the 6 dogs unlawfully seized and euthanized in Campbell as being agressive. Two were certified nursing home therapy dogs. Google the mistakes Animal Charity made with the High Caliber K-9 case. This Agency and it Agents are out of control and need stopped. They need to be held accountable. All funds from the County and City should be stopped immediately to them. Contact all your officials and let them know the malfeasance of this Agency is unacceptable.

20believehalfofwhatusee(5 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I find it hard to believe that Mr. Lariccia, a very savvy and wise investor turned philanthropist, would make such a generous donation without first doing his homework. If the Lariccias feel this to be a worthwhile organization then I think that Animal Charity and the Humane Society are probably wrong. I can only hope that they clear CLS from any wrongdoing with the same zeal in which they attacked their reputation.

21catlady1423(1 comment)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

THIS CATLADY IS HORRIFIED BY WHAT WE ALL SAW. AND I PRAY WITH ALL MY HEART THAT ANIMAL CHARITY REAPS WHAT THEY HAVE SOWED. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER INCLUDING THE VINDICATOR THAT SOMEWHERE IN THE 1980'S THAT THE FAMOUS JEAN MCCLURE KEALTY FOUNDER OF ANIMAL CHARITY WAS HERSELF "SHUT DOWN" BECAUSE OF BAD CONDITIONS. MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD TRY AND PULL THAT UP OR IS THAT ONE GONE??? BECAUSE PEOPLE DO REMEMBER. I HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN RESCUES FOR MANY YEARS AND ANIMAL CHARITY IS ONE OF THE WORST TO GO TOO FOR HELP. JUST TRY AND YOU KNOW. THE NEW SHELTER THEY HAVE IS LESS THAN HUMANE. HAS ANYONE BEEN TO CHECK THAT OUT. THE STINK IS AWFUL AND LESS THAN CLEAN. THE ANIMALS ARE CRAMED INTO TWO SMALL GARAGES.WHO DO THEY HAVE IN THE POCKET? ANY SHELTER HAS THINGS THAT NEED WORKING ON. NO ONE IS PERFECT. HOWEVER, TO SAY SOMEONE IS JEALOUS IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. AND I AM SURE THREATENED AND MAYBE LOOKING BAD??? WHAT HAS IMPRESSED ME WITH CATLADY SOCIETY IS THEY TAKE THE ONES ANYBODY ELSE WOULD TURN AWAY OR KILL AND NOT GIVE A SECOND CHANCE. BEING A DISABLED PERSON I FIND IT OFFENSIVE THAT SOME WOULD SAY THOSE CATS CAN'T BE LOVED OR GIVE LOVE. THEY GIVE MORE BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN A CHANCE. ANIMALS DO KNOW. ANIMAL CHARITY NEEDS TO BE INVESTIGATED THEMSELVES. THE TREATMENT THOSE CATS GOT FROM THEM WAS LESS THAN HUMANE AND AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED JUST JEALOUS PLOY THAT I HOPE BACKFIRES. JUST A CONICEDIENCE RIGHT THAT THIS TAKES PLACE RIGHT BEFORE THIS GRANDOPENING. IF IT WAS SO BAD WE ALL KNOW THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSED SOONER. CATLADY SOCIETY KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO NOT ONLY FOR THE CATS BUT BECAUSE IT IS FOR THE CATS AND YOU MUST BE BOTHERING THOSE WHO COULD CARE LESS OTHERWISE.

22atlantic6irl(3 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I got my cat from there several weeks ago and she is in perfect health!!!! When I visited, as far as odors go, it smelled like any home that has multiple cats does. Some cats had runny noses or eyes, but like it was stated in the comments above, virus' are everywhere and can be spread every where. Would they call the child welfare league if children in a day care got sick?? I think not....so why would they do that to a shelter that clearly wants to help!!!!

23ElPolloRetrasado(201 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I took a cat in there one time that had been limping around by the road. When i got there I was thoroughly digusted with the sight and smell of the place. I decided I would take he cat to a emergency vet myself butthey woudn't let me take the cat back an then they wanted to me to give them 75 bucks for them taking the cat. I told them to kiss my a$$, i wasn't going to give them 75 bucks and they still wouldn't let me go get proper care for the cat. A bunch of cat ladies looking to hoard a bunch of dying & sick cats, pathetic! All you idiots who say this is political are retarded. Cause now I'm gonna go vote for something just because they rightfully shut down that $h1t hole. And by the way, it is absolutely alright for animals to ride in the back of a truck, get a truck, put a dog back there, watch him have the time of his life!!

24lovedrama(138 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

what pi**ed me off about the CLS was that time they went out of state and brought back a ton of cats-like there's not enough homeless street cats in Y-town? BUT--they are friendly, not like Angels. They're soooo rude. They act like everyones a B for not adopting every street cat they find. I rescued one at work that was being abused ( stole it off the neighbors after I saw them throw a board at it). It was a beautiful gray cat, took it to Angels, said I'd pay for spaying or whatever it needed, and said I couldn't keep it because I already had 3, was pregnant, also had tons of other responsibilities, more little kids at home,etc Every person there treated me like sh**. They kept repeatedly asking me why I wasn't keeping her, or fostering her, and my very realistic , and acceptable reasons were met with icy glares. Then they never returned my calls to see about paying for whatever she needed. They probably just "put her down"... But they're so nice everytime they're asking for ahandout

25craigbeachres(1 comment)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

It is interesting to see that Joe Borosky, is the Animal Control Officer in charge of the raid. This is the same officer who works as chief of police in Craig Beach and is known to write false tickets and harass people. He is also the same officer who has been fired from four other police departments because of misconduct and stuff.

26maxi(71 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

@ElPolloRetrasado...you are one of the reasons that so many times I prefer animals over people. Take a hike to the Tribune and leave your poorly worded comments there. I will be passing over any future comments that you post. You are not worth my attention.

And it's official...according to the local news tonight, several of the cats have been euthanized.

I don't know how you sleep at night Ms. Baringer. I hope you and your crew are held accountable for your illegal thoughtless actions. I propose dissolving your agency.

I hope that a few fine attorneys donate their legal services to the CLS to take Animal Charity down.

27Conservatism_Will_Prospers(91 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I spoke with the Animal Charity today and a lady stated that over 70% of the cats siezed were ill. My question is if the Animal Chairty is euthanizing the evidence then what if left to prosecute? All of those cats are evidence! How wierd that the same organization who is rail roading this fiasco is euthanizing the cats. I find it hard to believe that the Animal Charity's motivations did not have anything to do with the fact that there was a new competitor in town taking up donations! Now, Animal Charity's pockets are getting lighter, they are providing the medical examinations, and deciding what cats are sick or healthy. Animal Charity needs investigated!

28catzrule(25 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

The news editor at WKBN is Facebook friends with Agent Borosky. I now know why there has been no negative articles regarding Animal Charity. Borosky can make a phone call and have an immediate media circus anytime he wants in his favor. I wonder how they will report the Federal Civil Case against him for illegallly seizing and killing 6 dogs in Campbell. Will you be able to spin this onewhen he loses Kristen?

29ElPolloRetrasado(201 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

@Maxi "@ElPolloRetrasado...you are one of the reasons that so many times I prefer animals over people."
No, the reason you prefer animals over people is that you are a perfect example of an introverted antisocialite that has nothing better to do than complain about the loss of a few feral cats that roam the streets spreading disease! Besides people don't like you, so nanny nanny boo boo stick your head in doo doo! Is that a little better than my last "poorly worded" comment you trite piece of trash!

30maxi(71 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

@ElPolloRestrasado,

Not that you are worthy of any attention or a response but it may surprise you to know that I am a successful professional and happily employed for over 30 years. My family and I have a packed social calendar and travel extensively. Not exactly a description that fits a "introverted antisocialite".

And yes, when it comes to folks like you, I most certainly do prefer animals over people.

Honestly, I am concerned about people like you who don't like animals or who are content with them just being destroyed. It tells me a lot about you and others like you. Unfortunate for our society.

Signed,
"Trite piece of trash"
LOL!!!!

31p15828(7 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

So let me get this logic right: Okay, there are some issues with odors and maybe a few sick cats. So the solution is to take all 90 cats and gas them. The same logic of the Warsaw Ghetto.

I am an advocate for the rights of animals, but ...these PETA people are often illogical lame-brains, usually with no understanding of what ecology really means, or any understanding of resource use and conservation. We live in dark times.

But hey kids, remember: Spay and neuter your humans.

Have any of you read the paper "Why the garden Club Couldn't Save Youngstown"? There's also a book by the same author. The gist is that various groups of people in Youngstown can never get along long enough to get anything done. Everybody... has mapped out their own sandbox and this particularly true of groups already in power. I am up here teaching in the North, far away now and let me tell you folks, not everywhere is like Youngstown.

My point is, Kimm is a big-hearted lady trying to do good work. Will anyone give her some support and help? What's being done to here is a tragedy. But it seems to be business as usual in a town that accepts corruption as a way of life and watches "The Sopranos" as if it were a guide to business ethics.
-- Doug

32sonicsue(1 comment)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

something sure smells 'fishy' with these Animal Charity folks. I live out of state and this seems like a townie mentality thing on the part of the the Animal Charity folks. Sounds like this is a transitional thing from the CLS, and yes anyone that's ever been to a preschool the second week of school knows how fast any upper respiratory virus' travel. How can a no-kill shelter be a bad place? I don't get it.

33maxi(71 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations CLS on your grand opening! You have a beautiful clean new facility! Continue to do the good work that you do!

Now, back to the wrong doings of Ms. Nikole Baringer and Animal Charity. We should all be following this closely. Hello Mahoning County, YPD needed to be paid with your tax dollars during this atrocious raid. As if YPD doesn't have enough to do! By the way, I heard the officers were very kind and polite to the Cat Ladies Society. They were just doing what they had to do.

I've been seeking additional information on this from good sources. Turns out Nikole Baringer wants to be a well known in Ohio for this. There was also a disgruntled former CLS volunteer who also had something to do with this. Another lady who had something to with this is from Girard. I will try and get their names and post. I want them all exposed. If anyone here knows there names, please post.

From what I have heard so far, the shelters are competitive. The other shelters were jealous when CLS received a recent sizeable donation. Next time Vindy, keep the donation out of the paper.

The CLS women in this WKBN video are just lovely! I can't say the same for the sleezy skummy Animal Charity people who hauled the well cared for cats away. Especially the female with the long 2 color hair who smirked at the camera.

Sad when CLS now has to pay legal fees. They should just be able to get back to the good work they were doing.

34daxcat(2 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I think it's just amazing what kind of support the cat ladies is getting. I always thought they were doing a great job and know that they helped hundreds of cats in the last two years. I also know that Animal Charity did allow they to 'pull' cats and kittens from there right before they were to be euthanized. (Pull meaning take cats from a kill shelter to a no kill shelter so they have more time to be adopted) I seems to be alot more going on here than meets the eye....I for one will be following this tragedy........
love for all the poor kitties that were killed at animal charity, we will see you again at the rainbow bridge............

35Ariel(18 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I am extremely saddened for Kimm and the other volunteers. They are good people and don’t deserve this injustice. We need more people like the Cat Ladies in this world.

Unlike Animal Charity, the Cat Ladies feel that every cat deserves a chance. Cat colds are cured with antibiotics. Every shelter has problems with respiratory illnesses--just like schools that house sick kids. Viruses spread due to the close quarters of the institutional environment.

The Cat Ladies people--who are “misfits” themselves because of their age and various handicaps--are caring people who just want to give society's "misfit cats" a chance at a happy life.

Would you kill your family member if he/she had a cold? Would you kill your family member if he/she had a disability or was disfigured in some way? Don't animals deserve that same consideration--especially from a self-proclaimed "humane charity?"

I need a few things explained to me. Vindy reporters, here’s your chance at some investigative journalism!

How does the Animal Charity have the authority to shut down a competing charity? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that's a major conflict of interest.

Is it a just a coincidence that a large donation was given to Cat Ladies Society just weeks before the raid?

Why is it acceptable for a probate judge to sign a warrant for "humane" officers?

How can Animal Charity, an organization in violation of BBB standards of accountability, have law enforcement authority? They refuse to disclose to the BBB where they get their funding.

Something's very rotten at 3722 South Ave. Let's find out who the REAL criminals are in this case.

36ytown_kills_me(64 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Animal Charity is the LAST place i would ever take an animal, they have NO humane in them, remember their sign used to say "Humane Services" NOT humane society,...what a hack of a place they are, and what credentials do their employees have ???.....Animal Charity as said in numerous posts needs investigated themselves....what a bunch of crap

37Loner(1 comment)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Ok, before anyone bashes me, I have never been to the CLS, nor am I sure I have all the facts just from this. I have read some of the posts, and have no doubt that Mrs. Kimm is a good hearted person. For Animal Charity...ah, I just hate to make assumptions based off of the internet and not personal experience. :/ But I felt the need to say something.

One, any animal can get sick easily, yes. But if ANY shelter has ANY sort of illness in their animals and do no immediately try to take care of it, I'm sorry but they either do not care about the animals or have too much on their plate for their funding. I'm not a vet, no, but I know little things can lead to bigger, much more serious things.

Two, a happy playful cat does not mean the entire shelter is safe and sanitary. There's a cat that hangs around our house that is quite willing to let anyone pick her up and play with her. But as she has always been an outdoor cat, I am sure she has health problems that I cannot see. Plus, even though she's quite the nice little cat, her environment is dangerous (and before you say anything, yes, I have been trying to find someplace that will take her. I've even e-mailed the Cat Lady Society, though I didn't hear back. I can't bring her in because my mother is allergic and my dog wouldn't be too happy.)

Three, though putting an animal to sleep is sad and unwanted, I would much rather have that then have it wondering around the street or worse. Honestly, animal shelters ARE overcrowded. All the ones I've seen have always said they need donations, cat food, dog food, toys, leashes...their not just saying that. As for this Animal Charity...I couldn't say, since I have no experience with them.

Though (again, from what I've read) it seems CLS wasn't that overcrowded, so maybe I'm wrong. And as for PETA...why do people even listen to them anymore? I have personal experience with *them*, and my words aren't worth wasting about them. x-x

38CassAnn(252 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

These idiots at Animal Charity should have returned the cats by now and tucked their own tails between their legs and apologized plus paid for the damages they caused. I don't believe people are going to stand for this.

39starofesther(168 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

The cats came in that way DUH!!!

40starofesther(168 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

DUH they were moving to a new facility.....They knew they had issues and now it comes out they visited....Fire that lady of Animal Charity!

41starofesther(168 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree ...I don't like dealing with Angels For Animals because the lady in charge there is evil minded...A kitten came to my daughter house years ago I told her the condition of the kitten and Then she accused us of mistreating the cat! Angel for Animals is selective be well or kill!

42candy(1 comment)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

It sickens me to find out that some of these cats have probably been executed and we have no way to find out where they are being held hostage.

I'm skeptical that Animal "Charity" wanted to work with Cat Ladies to correct problems. The healthy cats were upstairs and away from the others.

When I first heard about CLS, I went over to see how I could help the organization. Although I couldn't adopt or foster animals, I did donate money by sponsoring cats. I also took coupons and shopped around for the best prices on cat food, bought it, and dropped it off weekly.

If the cats were in such deplorable condition, I didn't see it. I would have never donated to this group if there was any wrongdoing. It's too bad that some people can't stand it when someone else succeeds in this town.

43tracy0108(6 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

How about a follow-up to whats going on with this? I have been watching the news and the internet and haven't seen anything that tells us what is going on at this point.

44kfromtheburbs(23 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I beleive there was no need to do what the humane officers did, that raid was uncalled for. GIVE THEM THE CATS BACK. AT least the ones they did not put down. And if the animals were that sick where was protective gloves and clothing.

45Werecat(73 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

The Cat Ladies Society is having a candle-light vigil for their missing cats Wednesday, September 22 at 7:00 pm in the parking lot of their shelter. Please stop by with a candle and join us in hope for the safe return of these cats and kittens to their home.

46CassAnn(252 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Animal Charity League euthanized 64 of 80 of the cats CLS had. How convenient that they destroyed the evidence and there hasn't even been any charges filed yet! This information was on the 11 pm news for wkbn. By destroying all the cats they are slanting things so no one can bring in an impartial veterinarian to say otherwise.

47maxi(71 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Who does Animal Charity answer to?
When are we going to see justice?

Ms. Nikole Baringer, haven't seen your face on the news lately. Laying low? Feeling guilty? Do us all a favor and resign your position immediately. And take all of your low life workers with you.
Dissolve this agency! The name Animal Charity is so misleading.

48Ariel(18 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

This is a clear case of an organization willingly sabotaging a competing charity. How could they kill all those cats while the investigation is pending and no charges have been filed? I suppose they will be cremated to prevent autopsy.

I saw these animals shortly after the Cat Ladies received their large donation. NO WAY were these cats sick enough to be killed. This was not mercy killing. This was just plain old killing.

Animal Charity obviously does not care about animals. The motive is clear: money, power, greed. Where's the public warrant? Where's the proof? Why the silence?

We've been told to reserve judgment until more information has been made public. We're still waiting. Politicians: Listen closely to the people who pay your salaries. You are accountable to them, and your silence speaks volumes about your own guilt. This "little" story may just be the thing that seals your fate and leaves you standing in the unemployment line.

Each day, the corruption and greed of the Animal Charity becomes more clear. These people are murderers! They are the ones who need to be shut down to prevent more unjust killings.

Not only have they robbed innocent cats of their lives, they have also robbed loving people who could have adopted these animals and cared for them.

Vindy reporters, please do your job and investigate. The facts of this case need to be made public. This is not just about cats. This is about corruption, conflict of interest and intentional sabotage by a competing organization.

49tracy0108(6 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I can't even find the story on the candlelight vigil or the fact that animal charities has euthanized all those cats. Certainly the vindicator should follow this story. There surely has to be more to it, since it has been a week and no charges or anything, and not a word out of "animal charities". It's a pretty scary thought that they can take all those cats, euthanize them and just walk away and not have to answer for it! I think they need investigated because what they have done is not humane. I feel for the animals they have at their establishment. I think they should be shut down.

50maxi(71 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

So a Mahoning County judge signed off on a search warrant for Animal Charities, then AC seizes all the living breathing cats from the Cat Ladies Society, carts the cats away to their death sentences, YPD had to be paid to be on duty during the raid, and no on has any further follow-up to offer the public, Cat Ladies Society, and the Mahoning County taxpayers?

Again, who's jurisdiction does Animal Charity fall under? Who funds them? What is their role? What are their policies? What criteria must be met for a judge to so quickly sign off on a search warrant? What licensed veterinarian put down the alledgedly sick cats?

Vindy...you wrote this story...where is your follow-up?

Answers please. Specific answers.

51Ariel(18 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I totally agree with maxi and tracy0108. Vindicator, do your job! Your readers want the facts. This is why you exist! Or are you holding back because you get advertising dollars from Animal Charity?

52walter_sobchak(1855 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

tracy0108,

Maybe the Vindy reporters were too busy covering the story about Vivian Martin, the murdered realtor or the pending sale of Forum Health. A candlelight vigil for cats?!? Seriously!?!

Please, people, they are CATS, not people. So what, the world has a dew less cats. They will soon be replaced with new cats that no one will take care of. And, why are cats not required to be licensed when people let them out to roam neighborhoods. I assure you, a cat runs in front of my car, I don't try to avoid it. THUMP and another problem solved.

Futhermore, if you own a cat or dog, please have them spayed or neutered if you are not going to breed them.

53maxi(71 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Walter,

Please know I agree with most of what you say on most topics.

First and foremost, YES, the story on Vivian Martin is far more important! Tragic! Brutality at its worst!

Second, sorry, I'm oversaturated on Forum Health news. The deal with the new company will be official and etched in stone soon. I hear the transition will take place October 1st. All will be happy again.

Third, this is about more than just cats. Resources were used irresponsibly and taxpayers money was spent. Sorry Walter, we need to stay on top of this.

Lastly, while cats are not people, it doesn't give us the right to put them down, and in this case, out of spite.

Wow Walter, you really don't feel anything when you hit an animal? I don't even like it when I hit a bird or squirrel! At least our actions are accidental (I hope yours were accidental Walter). Animal Charity deliberately killed animals.

And on a final note. agree, agree, agree, get your animal spayed or neutered!

54tracy0108(6 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

If I followed every murder in youngstown, I would not have time for anything else. There is a murder a day there and they cover every one of them. Certainly, with as much attention as this has gotten, they could get some information on it. You say they are just cats, but like everything else, I don't like that agencies "animal charities" can come in, do whatever they want, and expect people to just deal with it. I don't even own a cat, I just think everyone (cat ladies society) deserves some answers. I don't agree that people should get cats and then just put them out when they are tired of them, but thats what people do. I respect the people that believe in something and try to do something good.

55pen1255(4 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

It is wrong to think this story is just about the cats, you have a competing agency coming in removing and destroying all their competitors assets and walking away. There are complaints against many businesses. I work at a nursing home and when they are complaints the state comes in and INVESTIGATES. Most times complaints are found to be invalid. They certainly don't remove the residents and send them to a competing facility. What animal charity did was a deliberate attempt to put the cat ladies out of business and its wrong and needs to be investigated.

56Ariel(18 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

As the last few comments correctly point out, this story is NOT just about cats.

This is about: 1) an organization wrongfully being granted the authority to shut down a competitor (major conflict of interest); 2) that organization intentionally misusing the power it was wrongly granted in the first place; 3) the organization seizing assets and destroying evidence while an investigation is still pending; and 4) the organization refusing to disclose the facts of the case, showing a complete disregard of accountability for their actions.

It's like giving Burger King authority to shut down a rival McDonald's down the street because of unsubstantiated claims that the restaurant's conditions are unhealthy. Maybe not the best analogy, but I'm trying to point out that the core of the issue here is misuse of power and unethical business practices.

I'm still waiting for the so-called evidence to be made public.

As for the Vindy reporters, it is not up to them to decide which stories deserve coverage. It's up to the community they serve -- their readers. I'm a former journalist, and Rule No. 1 is Serve Your Readers.

Judging from the number of comments on this story and others on different media outlets, I think it's safe to say this issue is important to the community, and Vindy should be investigating it.

57kittycare74(7 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Walter you need mental health care.I am so sad to think their are still people out there that are still climbing out of the sewers.Right now ,Jim Trafficant is looking really good to me .I called 7 city officals in the past week to see if they could take a few minutes to talk to me.I also left numbers to reach me back . Well guess what "YOUR ALL FIRED!! I will never vote for any of you again, if you can't take a simple phone call or return them, your no longer wanted.CLS you go girls and i'm right behind you .I have never had a mission in life ,but i have one now..WE the people in y-town are not letting this one go.EVERYWHERE you go this story is the topic.IT' has hit the airwaves like 911.CONGRATULATIONS YOUNGSTOWN OHIO CITY OFFICIALS ,HUMANE SOCIETYand all you low life critters that crawled out of the sewer to back this up SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!!WE want vet reports saying what kind of deady virus each and everyone of these cats had ,being there no longer around for evidence.Where the hell did you ever see a case where you get rid of evidence before the case comes up.WE the PEOPLE of YOUNGSTOWN who are so sicken by this cls story are going to start openig eyes every where, and for you Ms Barringer. I think its time for you to resign .We are all done with you now good-bye go away. We now want someone in there that loves animals.I still in all of my life and taking it all the way to my grave don't understand how anyone can kill animals,and how some lamebrain in youngstown could let one person go and turn everyones world upside down WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WE WANT ANSWERS AND WE WANT THEM NOW.

58walter_sobchak(1855 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

kittycare74,
I've been a number of places in the area and this is not a topic. People that put animals on the same levels as humans are wacko! I don't believe it is right ot abuse animals and neglect them. But, I have no problem putting a .22 round in the head of a groundhog that is destroying my garden or a racoon that is nesting in my house. These are animals, they have no souls, and they were put here on this earth for us to have dominion over.

As far as this case goes, there is no doubt that we have agencies competing for limited dollars. It is merely a battle of those that destroy animals and those that don't. This is a whole lot of to-do about nothing.

59maxi(71 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Walter,

Sorry, must slightly disagree with you and slightly agree with you.

I don't want critters in my garden either (ugh! I think I could pull the trigger!).

I consider myself a strong Christian. When you say that animals have no souls...hmmm...I'm not so sure. Jesus loved animals...the Bible teaches us that. St. Francis loved animals too...he is our patron saint of animals.

My prayer is that humans take better care of the animals and be more responsible.

Having said that and in closing on this comment, Animal Charity did not have the right to seize and destroy cats.

60kittycare74(7 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Walter the only way I am gonna shoot anything comming out of my garden is if the animal had foam comming out of its mouth.I volunteer in two nursing homes.It is a HotTopic, go to grocery stores ,bingo card club , michaels craft workshop u name it people are angry..I was at the City hall and had a 15 minute discussion with a man and his wife who adopted a cat who is 3 yrs old some one dumped him behind A buiding and left him for dead ,now he is very happy... their cat is named WALTER. LOL I will always back those women and one day I want to have a no kill shelter

61starofesther(168 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Kitten in the Garden ....Oh My ....no telling what else gets in your garden rabbits raccoons dogs

62kimk1957(21 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

No matter what, the Vindy needs to follow up with this story. It's a week later. What is happening with THIS story. In these internet days...it's not like you're going to run out of newspaper space! Keep us posted!

63kimk1957(21 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Also...Walter S....it's obvious you're not an animal lover. Go BS on another blog and leave this one for us that care enough to fight for Gods' beautiful feline creatures.

64walter_sobchak(1855 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

kimk1957,

Too easy. I have a dog that was obtained from a shelter. She is spayed and well-cared for and is a joy. And licensed!

Why must dogs be licensed but not cats? Feral cats are far worse on small wildlife than feral dogs. Feral dogs, I realize do pose a significant hazard to people.

I love animals and nature. I have bird feeders and love to look at them. But some animals are a nuisance. I regularly kill mice and chipmunks that destroy my yard. My neighbor thankfully shot a skunk that has been in the area. I have also shot groundhogs that destroy my garden and racoons that I see in the day around the yard.

I especially love the livestock animals that give me the steak I had yesterday, or the DiRusso's sausage, and the veal parm I had last week. Oh, and Hebrew National beef franks with Cleveland Stadium mustard! They slaughter using kosher rules.

I just wish others in society loved animals the way I do. Spay and neuter your pets, care for the animals, cull the herd, eliminate nuisances, and support healthy livestock conditions. And, ban puppy mills! Does that make you happy?

It is just that the PETA mentality drives me crazy!