Cat Ladies Society discussed at Mahoning commissioners' meeting

Published: Thu, September 16, 2010 @ 6:13 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — The controversy over Wednesday’s raid by humane agents at the Cat Ladies Society boiled over into today’s meeting of the Mahoning County commissioners.

Dennis Roller of Liberty, a volunteer at the West Side cat-rescue shelter, said the shelter has a new, clean and spacious facility, with a new ventilation system at 2217 Mahoning Ave., where the raid occurred.

In support of his assertion, Roller displayed photos he had taken Tuesday of the new shelter, showing its feline occupants. The cats there get veterinary care from Dr. Daniel Ebert, a Youngstown veterinarian, Roller said.

The no-kill shelter moved 10 days ago from its old location two blocks away to the new facility, where it was to have an open house from 3 to 7 p.m. today and noon to 6 p.m. Saturday. The move tripled the agency’s available space, Roller said.

Humane agents from Animal Charity removed all 90 cats from the the shelter, mixing healthy and sick cats, four to a carrier, Roller said.

For the complete story, see Friday's Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1atlantic6irl(3 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I got my cat from them a few weeks ago and she is perfectly fine. The picture of absolute health! If Animal Charity was that concerned about the health of the animals, why in the world would they have put the sick with the healthy in small confined carriers. Much less four in a carrier. How is that safe!?!?!?!?

2kfromtheburbs(23 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I saw the news and i beleive those people should give the cats back. Sometimes cats get sick. They should have been quatantined. ( If I am to beleive what humane agents state.) Human sociaty has already put several cats down. I do not for one minute beleive these cats where so sick they could not be saved. People who love cats will do all they can to stop overpopulation and euathnization. They are a bunch of older women trying to save the world, one cat a time. Why not go after the thugs who abuse animals? These women were an easy target. Tough guys raiding the cat ladies.

3kfromtheburbs(23 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I also noticed no one was wearing gloves or any protection at all for that matter.

4majick(33 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Nuttin' but politics! Heard that they got some money from Mr. Laricia<sp>? Maybe the other agencies were envious.
I agree, maybe they should pick on the SERIOUS offenders!! These women are doing their best....can the same be said for the other agencies???

5chickenrye(4 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I work at a local vet clinic & we've seen many problems from the Cat Ladies Society. They should spend their resources only on reasonably salvagable animals and focus on keeping the healthy ones healthy. It's inhumane to have a no-kill policy...you should see the suffering it ends.

6Conservatism_Will_Prospers(91 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I spoke with the Animal Charity today and a lady stated that over 70% of the cats siezed were ill. My question is if the Animal Chairty is euthanizing the evidence then what if left to prosecute? All of those cats are evidence! How wierd that the same organization who is rail roading this fiasco is euthanizing the cats. I find it hard to believe that the Animal Charity's motivations did not have anything to do with the fact that there was a new competitor in town taking up donations! Now, Animal Charity's pockets are getting lighter, they are providing the medial examinations, and deciding what cats are sick or healthy. Animal Charity needs investigated!

7mrma75(2 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

And if the cats were SOOOO sick if you watch the news tape close you will see the lady with braided blonde hair from either A.C or H.S kissing the cats and she loads them in the carries .. and again no one had gloves on if these cats were SOOOOOO SICK ,

8BlossomB(16 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I think what Animal Charities has done is horrible. Even the best shelters have outbreaks of uris with cats. I went on petfinder.com and looked up the cats at both The Ladies Cat Society and Animal Charities. The cats from Animal Charites had no vet care listed. On the other hand the cats from LCS were all tested, vaccinated and spayed or neutered. Just whose cats aren't receiving vet care? Also, I totally disagree with the person who is a vet tech. Just because a cat is sick does not mean it should be euthanized. I am really troubled by the fact you think that way because personally I wouldn't want to go to the vet's office where you work. You're in the wrong line of business honey because I'm guessing alot of the animals that come into the vet's office are sick. I'm sure the clients wouldn't be too happy if you suggested they all kill their pets. Just because an animal isn't owned does not mean it doesn't deserve compassion. I've been involved in rescue and I treat my foster animals just like I do my own. Also, I've heard how terribly animals are treated at the Mahoning County Dog Pound. The dogs there are often sick or injured and only rescue groups are helping them. Why don't the county commissioners seem concerned about that? Why isn't the shelter given the funds to treat these animals? Frankly the only ones who need investigated are the county commissioners and Animal Charities.

9dlmh(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I adopted two cats from the Cat Ladies Society in February, they have brought me so much joy. I have been following this story very closely and it has brought me to tears on more then one occasion. The cats at the shelter are happy, they are cared for, they are loved by the volunteers, what more can a cat without it's own home ask for? These people have a great program. Animal Charity and the "Humane" Society had no business going in there and disrupting what they had. Even the cats with problems were getting the treatment they need. The Cat Ladies Society keeps very detailed records on the history of their cats....did the Humane Society ask for any of this to aid in their decisions on playing God with the lives of these cats. I am disgusted on the workings of these "policing" organizations. The real humane thing to do, if there really was a reason for concern was to work with the Cat Ladies to investigate individual cases. Now 90 cats have been uprooted, stressed out, and who knows what else. I support the Cat Ladies!

10chickenrye(4 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

BlossomB, I'm not a vet tech, I'm a vet. And you can't save every animal. If you have cats positive for feline leukemia, aids, or FIP in your shelter, then you risk the lives of all other animals there. These are UNCURABLE CONTAGIOUS feline diseases that will eventually be lethal to the cats that contract them. Unfortunately there is not even an accurate way to diagnose FIP until the cat has become so ill it needs euthanized. Sadly, there are not enough homes for all the homeless pets. By not focusing your resources on severely debilitated animals, you can save more lives total.

11BlossomB(16 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

chickenrye--I have a hard time believing you're a vet. First of all, cats can live for a long time with FeLV or FIV. They can be separated from the rest of the population. I would never euthanize a healthy looking cat that tests positive. As far as FIP is concerned, it is not contagious. The corona virus is contagious and FIP is a mutation of the corona virus. I know of no rescue that routinely checks cats for the corona virus and just because a cat has it does not mean it will get FIP. Of course I would euthanize a cat that was suspected of having FIP because it is incurable and they would die anyway. I personally cannot go through hundreds of animals and pick out all the healthy ones and kill the ones with health issues. Once a cat or dog is in rescue then I feel if it has something curable or if it has quality of life then it deserves a chance. If you feel differently, then that's your choice. I personally cannot understand how someone could be involved in rescue and not get attached to the animals. They're not a number to me, they're a living, breathing creature. I have nothing against euthanasia if an animal is suffering and has no chance at recovery. I also believe euthanasia is necessary when you have an aggressive dog. I really do believe that you should volunteer at a shelter. All shelters (even the best) have outbreaks of kennel cough, parvo and upper respitory illnesses with cats. If Animal Charities wanted to help cats then they should have taken in 80 stray cats and spayed/neutered them. The Ladies Cat Society has spayed and neutered thousands of cats which has helped the community tremendously. As a person who has worked with low income families I can tell you that those cats probably lived alot better than some eople. The cat problem is so huge that anyone willing to help should be thanked. Who the heck cares if they choose to treat sick cats rather than kill them? I have a relative that lives in Mahoning County and his neighbors have a farm. The cats keep coming over to his house because the farmer is not feeding them. Most are sick and none of them are altered. Maybe Animal Charities should be more concerned about this sort of thing. I guarantee if I called them they would do nothing.

12Werecat(71 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Chickenrye,
When we take in a new cat, the first thing we do is a FeLV/FIV combo test. Cats that test positive for these diseases are humanely euthanized by our veterinarian. This is heartbreaking to us, but we do understand the necessity of keeping these contagious and incurable diseases away from our shelter population. If an animal is diagnosed with FIP it is also euthanized, firstly because by the time they display symptoms the disease is generally pretty far along and secondly because there is a possibility that this disease is contagious. As far as I know, nobody has ever proven how FIP is actually spread, and why some animals in a group will contract it while others do not.

Quality of life is always a concern with us. It is a dicey area to judge and when making quality of life decisions at Cat Ladies Society all sorts of factors weigh into this process. Is the condition treatable/curable? Will the animal be able to look forward to quality time or will the rest of its life be spent feeling sick and miserable? What is the animal telling us?

Any animal that comes in ill or becomes ill is treated according to these standards. We are not going to euthanize animals that will recover from their illnesses and enjoy their life just because the money we spend on them could be spent elsewhere to boost our adoption statistics. Would you ever tell one of your clients that it would be cheaper to just buy a new pet instead of treat the one they have? If such were the case and decisions about pet care were based completely upon cost why wouldn't people simply abandon their pets when their vaccinations were due and adopt a new one yearly with the shots already in place? When comparing the cost of a vet visit to an adoption fee, the new pet would be much cheaper to buy than the old one would be to maintain. That notion sounds ridiculous, but isn't that what you're asking our shelter to do?

The Cat Ladies Society was created to give a chance to cats that might otherwise not have one. That is why we take in the sick and the handicapped and do our best for them - because we feel that their lives have worth, too.

Since you state that you are a veterinarian and since you have enough free time on your hands to be writing comments about us, why not be a part of the solution instead of just griping about what you percieve to be a problem? This is one area where you absolutely CAN make a difference. Stop by and volunteer your services for a day, or even for a few hours a week. We'd love to have you, and I'm sure you'd find a lot of personal fulfillment in using your education and skills in this life-affirming way.

13nyohangeleyes(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

How dare Animal Charity kill 64 cats and kittens who had the chance to find their "forever home?" At least the Cat Ladies Society doesn't have to make headlines constantly by euthanizing their animals like Animal Charity does. The Cat Ladies Society is a "NO KILL" shelter and they find homes for all the neglected and unloved cats and kittens. I have two adopted kittens from the Cat Ladies Society and they are healthy and happy cats and they were that way when I adopted them. I think Animal Charity needs to be raided and all the animals taken from them. They don't deserve to have any animals in their possession at any time.