Canfield teachers agree to pay cut

Published: Wed, September 15, 2010 @ 10:59 p.m.

canfield

Canfield teachers have agreed to take a pay cut for the 2010-11 school year.

“They understand the hardship of this district,” schools Superintendent Dante Zambrini explained at Wednesday’s board of education meeting. “This saves $130,000 for the district.”

In addition to 1 percent pay cut, the Canfield Education Association also agreed to an increase in health care premiums.

Also Wednesday, the board officially welcomed eight new employees.

For the complete story, read Thursday's Vindicator or Vindy.com

Comments

1Ucan2(8 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I see the recession is finally catching up with the rich suburbanites.

2AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

1%...this is nothing more then grandstanding for the November levy. 1% of a $45,000.00 salary is $450.00, hardly a sacrifice.

3frank(9 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

What STEP increase did they get this year ???? They may have taken a 1% pay cut, but they also may have gotten an annual STEP increase of 4% to 5%. The vindicator should ask if this is part of their bargaining agreement before they write this article.

4bdmn_resident(3 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I am a teacher. I need to respond to a few comments. First, Censoredship, please do compare my salary with other citizens who have my level of education. Also, add into that the $700 I had to pay this past summer for taking more classes, the $1000 I will pay this fall for taking additional classes and the $26,000 in student loans I owe for getting my Master's Degree, which teachers are required to acheive before their 10th year of teaching. Also, to Frank, not all of us get STEPS. I won't be eligible for another step for 4 years. I understand the economy is tough right now and we all must make sacrifices, but it kills me that these teachers took a pay cut and people are still complaining about them. As for the 8 new employees, I am sure most are replacing teachers who have left. There may be new positions needed in order to give your children a good education and/or to fufill state or federal requirements. Boards of Education do not add positions without a good reason!

5theaterlady(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Just a little information- All 8 teachers replaced teachers who retired or moved- there were no additional positions. I am also interested that people are distressed to read that teachers took a pay cut. OK- you don't feel like it was big enough- but the fact is, it was a voluntary cut in a year they were due to get a pay increase. They actually gave up more than the 1% because they are paying more for health benefits as well. Would you rather they received the increase that had previously been bargained?? I'm just askin??!

6bdmn_resident(3 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

One more thing. There are a lot of comments that a 1% salary cut is not a big deal. I bet that if the Vindy reported that the teachers got a 1% raise (instead of a 1% cut), those same people would not be saying that a 1% raise is no big deal. They would be outraged that the teachers got a 1% raise!

7simpleton(33 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

The teachers DID NOT take a pay cut. They took a 1% LESS PAY RAISE!!!!!! They still got a 2% pay raise as well as additional benefits. Get your facts straight people and stop letting that idiot of a superintendant miss guide the public. Also, stop feeling sorry for the teachers, their fine!

8JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

bdmn_resident, your Master's and additional classes also get you higher up on the pay scale.

Is this a permanent pay cut? Or just like the State workers who made a temporary sacrifice the last few years.