YSU freshman tried to help students trapped in elevator after falling 5 floors

Published: Sat, September 11, 2010 @ 9:09 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN

A freshman resident of Youngstown State University’s Kilcawley House tried in vain for 30 minutes to get help for her roommate and 11 other YSU students after an overloaded elevator fell about five floors into the dormitory’s basement Friday evening.

“I heard the snap, and I heard the crash,” Brandi Juncewicz said of the 6:30 p.m. accident. “I could hear them crying and screaming for help.”

She went to the first floor to tell two employees at the front desk what happened, but they apparently thought she was kidding, Juncewicz said.

“I said ‘No, I’m completely serious,’” Juncewicz said.

For the complete story, read Sunday's Vindicator or Vindy.com.

Comments

1RickJude7496(16 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Tried for 30 minutes? Check the tapes, radio log, and report. Time of call was 1830. Time of arrival was 1832.

2YSUFreshman(1 comment)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

If you watch the dorm tapes you will see the YSU Freshman (hint) that she ran downstairs a quarter til and argued for a half hour. The police officer arrived the half hour later due to the emergency call button in the elevator. He was ushered downstairs then CALLED FOR AN AMBULANCE and that was the "call". Please get your facts straight before you accuse people of lying when you were not even there. I would know if you were.

3ysufreshman18(2 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I completely agree. I was called just after the crash by a friend who heard it. I have the time on my phone, and witnessed the cops arrival. With all do respect sir, I agree with ysufreshman you can't comment on something that specific unless you were there. I also would have known if you were.

4gracieloo6578(5 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

You'll learn pretty quickly on here.... that everyone knows it all, and the vindy is always wrong, and the people in the article must be lying.

You waste your breath and time to bring the truth to many of the commentors/trolls here - they know everything somehow.

We could have good news all the time around here and there will still be complaints or debates about it.

Welcome to Youngstown - city full of cynical, negative, self righteous residents... who wonder why the city can't improve. I certainly can't... especially with all the positive thinking there is here with the vindy.com crowd... LOL.

Good luck to you both at YSU. Work hard and make something of yourselves. Be part of the good in the community.

5RickJude7496(16 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

The tapes of the phone calls, the radio calls, etc are all public record and time stamped. Go down there Monday and listen to them if you don't believe me. I'm not saying anyone is lying, but in emergency situations, time is not always what it seems. Also, it's irresponsible reporting on the part of the vindy for not corroborating those claims by asking for that information before printing.

6SarahB1(6 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I can believe this story.

I had a similar experience in a dorm elevator at the University of Wisconsin-Madison when I was a student there in the late 1970s. We overloaded the elevator when everybody was rushing to get to final exams. The darn thing flew right past floors, 5-4-3-2-1-basement, and stopped when it hit the concrete about three or four feet below the basement floor. There was a loud grating noise, the lights went off and we all bounced up a couple of feet before crashing back down to the elevator floor.

I don't recall anyone being injured beyond a few bruises, but I do recall us screaming and banging on the car doors for somebody to get us out of there. We also heard lots of laughing outside that elevator car.

Funny thing was, most of us could care less about the injuries. We just wanted to get to our final exams on time. If you were late, you often found the lecture hall doors locked. In other words, you were out of luck and in real danger of failing a class.

7Nunya(1356 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Oh gracieloon,.. Get off it already.

To have differing perspectives are good for nailing down facts. However, right after " Rickstooge " initially failed to skew the view. Then comes your angle of Y.S. Shrew posturing here to pair with him as a party pack of pathetic.

Where the two " ysufreshmen " gave accounts of this horrid ordeal. In their doing so they didn't attack the veracity of Vindy nor contend anything outside of what they know, witnessed and experienced,.. and you can't discredit them.

See in contrast to what you allege to grease your slippery sled opposition. Nobody said a thing about Vindy lying like you made up. You clearly postured to act as though this unnerving ordeal never happened.

Solely to spring into trying to combo speak through and obscure / discount / discredit what these students are stating,.. you reek of a treacherous Troll.

Also your angled attempt to proclaim the " Vindy crowd " is all cynics is fruitlessly foolish. See your contention reveals you read the community boards here. Yet your { and Rickstooge's } minuscule { and sudden } " 2 " and " 4 " comments " respectively interjections reveals a few things.

That being you're either a non input / deranged angled content cretin. Or a dual or multi screen name individual, who's views are already so disregarded and non credible. That you're trying another screen name to spew your spin,.. got that?

Lastly your " Good Luck " at Y.S. Shrew retention plea is about as revealing as your are Y.S. Shrew cohort dependent indefensible. You never once mentioned concern for the injured students nor the impact it had on these two that witnessed the trying ordeal,.. HOW IRONIC !!!

See anytime there's accountability sought from Y.S. Shrew. Rather mysteriously those like you pop up and make that outfit look and sound even worse.

You're clearly merely some criminality cretins incompetent cronie. Who's now incredulously tried your hand at protecting the clamouring cash grab,.. if not do clarify in contrast.

Where be it known there in fact ARE individuals that by being sensible contribute good into the community. However, based upon your sidewinder's character as testaments of your comments you're not one of us.

Now call it opinion or whatever you'd like. However, THOSE are the facts and if your handlers had taught you better you'd have shown it.

Where if they were a better outfit you'd not had to be trying to defend it as poorly as you failed so miserably to do,.. you two twist it twits epitomize the polar opposite of genius.

8gracieloo6578(5 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

Oh Nunya.... read carefully and don't jump to conclusions

My message was directed towards the two YSU freshman just as a forwarning - that you can't take comments to heart on here. I was not discrediting the incident. I have no doubt that it happened JUST as the young woman said it did.

They both commented on here, obviously upset, that the first commentor seemed to immediately sound like he was making accusations that either the students embellished or vindy reported incorrectly.

Being that they may be new to the area, and not just valley residents who go to YSU now, I was letting them know the types of comments that they would see here.

As for concern to the students in the elevator - being that I have several friends who are employees at the YSU police department... I already was aware of their statuses.

Though I do not currently (or ever) go to YSU - I support the school - I always am pleased to see when they have contributed to the good of the area.

My comment of good luck to them... was just that. I hope that they do succeed there and can be part of something good in this community and don't just hang out here at vindy to complain... but actually get out there and DO something.

From you:
"you're not one of us"

Thank goodness for THAT. I am a member of the community that generally reads what goes on here, and does my best to be part of the solution (not the problem or immediate critic like you and soo many others here). I get off my butt and am out in the middle of it trying to do what I can to help improve this area. Every little bit counts toward something.