Contractor wants to build amusement park at casino

Published: Tue, October 26, 2010 @ 12:05 a.m.

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

If James A. Traficant Jr. somehow gets an Indian gambling casino in North Jackson, a Warren contractor said he wants to build the possible indoor amusement park that could go along with it.

John J. Bartko, president of Exclusive Product Industry Corp., said he’s “never built anything like” an indoor amusement park, but it shouldn’t be hard.

“I’ve built a lot of stuff,” such as churches, post offices, libraries and school additions, Bartko said.

Most of the materials, such as the dome on the indoor park, would be prefabricated and easy to install, he said.

The contractor said he had no idea how big the potential park would be.

“I don’t know the details of the contract,” Bartko said.

Bartko said he’s had conversations with Traficant about building the park. But the two don’t have a written — or even a verbal — agreement for the project, Bartko said.

“I really don’t care if I do the project or not to be honest with you,” he said.

Bartko said his company has formed a partnership with Two Worlds Park Co., a Youngstown-based management firm to design the facility. Carl Severino, who runs Two Worlds, couldn’t be reached Monday by The Vindicator to comment.

Also, George Saadi, Traficant’s agent, said he is “unsure” about his client’s relationship with Bartko, and referred comment to Bartko.

Traficant claims an indoor amusement park could be part of an economic development package in North Jackson that would include an Indian casino, hotel, convention center, bank and a $350 million data center.

Traficant claims the data center would create more than 300 jobs in five years; something met with some skepticism from those familiar with the industry.

Indian casinos aren’t permitted in Ohio under state and federal law. Traficant has said the casino is the linchpin to the entire project.

In three recent public appearances about the proposal, Traficant has failed to provide specifics about the plan.

Comments

1Attis(920 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Since bringing back the glory days of steel manufacturing around here seems out of reach, why not at least get behind a project that promises to revive a bit of the glory and joy of the much-missed Idora Park? Why ridicule and resist a massive job creating project like this? Just because Traficant is behind it? Is your irrational hatred of Jim greater than your rational love for our community? Get a reality check, soon. We can't wait much longer for an economic (and political) revival.

2misterlee(118 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Attis, the problem is this is never going to happen. This is Jimmy trying to drum up some support in the election by promising things that legally can not happen. Although I suppose what's legal or illegal has never stopped Jim before.

3DOLE2(594 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

A Hollywood themed amusement park for the valley....we can call it'' Soprano World''

4cambridge(3101 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Palin Traficant 2012!

5spinster68(5 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Its amazing how absolutely stupid and thoughtless some of these comments are... djcolon (fitting) and so tired... who do you think was behind the building of the covelli center or 7-11 ..you can sit there and bicker and bitch about these people but what the hell have you done to bring jobs to the area...not a dam thing..save your (not so smart) comments and do a little homework..its easy to sit behind a computer making snide comments ..but since thats the best you can do , guess that s to be expected.. .

6ytown_kills_me(64 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

severino...lol....are you serious...lol...2 worlds park...what still workin on that from how long ago...wheres that property you had in lake milton...what a joke...oh and how the article says he wasnt avail for comment...SHocker...he never is as its been his pipe dream for years...and always dissappears when someone says something he doesnt like...lol

7NYR1(19 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Censoredship - It's real simple. You can cut on Jimbo all you want. The reality is this: we would be worse off without the Federal courthouse, the 711 connector and the Covelli Centre. As to how many jobs they have provided, I can't put an exact figure on it, but I can assure you that it is substantial. And that not even considering the economic impacts that all of these projects have had (jobs and profits for contractors and suppliers, etc.)? I am not here to pump up Traficant, but his signature is on numerous local projects. What are you going to say to that? And don't even insult informed readers like me with a comment that even Timmy has his fingerprints on projects (as the Vindy claims with V&M Star and Lordstown). Jim did a lot of good for this area. That is why he still has so much support. Real people don't forget. Talk to some of the numerous people that he helped out and never got any credit for. There are numerous stories of his help from when he was in office. You are getting caught up in the Vindicator's relentless Jim-bashing. His political views are spot on with a working America. His delivery is just so eccentric that it is hard to take him seriously. Quit listening to Skolnik and DeSouza doing a spin job and instead listen to the people that he helped.

8commyliberal(94 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if a canal from Lake Erie to the Ohio River will run thru this amusment park/casino/datacenter/convention center/bank? Does anyone remember how Jimbo kept harping on about a CANAL for the area while he was in congress?

What a buffoon!

Please VIndy, stop covering this loser or run his stories in the comics section.

9NYR1(19 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Censoredship - I do have stories, but feel like I do not have a right to tell them as I am not one of the people involved and it is a definite invasion of privacy. I promise that over the years I have heard at least a half dozen stories that came firsthand. It is up to those people to do it. I will tell you of a story about a Vietnam vet's widow in Texas who couldn't get her husband's medical bills paid and her residual pension after he died. After exhausting numerous attempts to have any Texas politician help her, a friend of hers who was from Salem (Ohio) got in touch with Jimbo's office back here. Soon after, everything was corrected. I personally know the guy from Salem, and he told me the story firsthand. And how about John Demanuk? His family came to Jimbo from Cleveland after no one would help their dad after being falsely convicted of being Ivan the Terrible and sentenced to death. Jim actually went to Israel and brought him back after Israel's supreme court acquitted him after Jim proved that he was not Ivan. I repeat: Jim's loyal support is because of these things that he has done for so many people.

10casinoguy(7 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Our county commissioners are foolish to turn their backs on Jims initiative to develop an Indian Casino here. SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING...I don't care who is responsible for creating it. Jim has the tools to get the job done...however...PLEASE don't let Cheverini try and sneak in the side door with his pie in the sky, fairy tale, incompetent 2 PARKS idea that he claims will compliment the Indian Casino initiative.
When Jim gets approval for the Indian Casino development, there will be many legitimate
investors and developers that will come to the area and build condos, and participating facilities that will compliment the Casino and create many,many new jobs and much needed revenue in addition to what the Indian Casino will create.

11casinoguy(7 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Is Marcus57 a Vindy employee?

12spinster68(5 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

marcus57 this goes to you...First and foremost before you start cutting on people and "checking them out" you might want to get some facts straight so you don't look like a total idiot again...you also might want to make sure you are looking up the right person.. and to also disclose someones information is a violation of their rights,as well as the "PRIVACY ACT" ...Everyone has there own opinions obviously you have spoken yours and you are just as bad as a politician seems you can't get your facts straight either..Remember the term defimation of character, if a law suit should ever come your way that could be a reason. It must be nice to sit there and try to dig up dirt on people .Too bad YOU can't put the effort into doing some good for people instead trying to ruin people. Obviously you have nothing better to do with your time. All you negative fools can sit there make your comments about people and ideas but if you got away from your computers and actually did something positive and physical you might have something to brag about instead of tearing people to shreds. When was the last time you ever did anything for the community or tried to create jobs around here ? Do you work for the vindy ? Cause you sure seem to report a bunch of miss information ! As for you censoredship-marcus57 check everyone out you can .. Then check yourselves. Who are any of you to judge ? What right do you have ?? Sit back and chew your fat, because it takes balls to go out and be a business man or woman in todays world..Lawsuites ? What lawsuites? AGAIN, MISSINFORMATION ...before reporting it better check it out boys !

13spinster68(5 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Dole2- This is for you ...You may think its satire for Soprano World but lets not forget back in the day we had mob money flooding the streets . It kept businesses surviving, people had jobs, restaurants flourished, and the economy had its day.. Lets fast forward to today. What do we have now, steel mills gone, car plants gone, restaurants, stores, businesses all gone gone gone... NO JOBS .. Soon we will see tumble weeds rolling down 422. Make fun all you want but we need some kind of spark and money back in this area if you can tell by now its a spiral effect and only getting worse.

So everyone laugh, joke, make stupid comments, try to ruin people who actually are trying to help our area out. And when your job is in Mexico and your house foreclosed on, car repossessed, no electrity, water or heat because your job went south - whos going to be the last one lauging ? Probably the people at the casinos built somewhere else having a good time reaping the benefits of tourism-casinos, (jobs) restaurants,(jobs) hotels (jobs) and entertainment (jobs)... guess they'll be laughing all the way to the bank too....on something we could have had....

I've said my peace and have been on here WAY TOO LONG.. I' m physically going away from the computer and doing something today to try to better the good of all people. Sprinkle some fairy dust and poof all our problems are gone.....

14cs(5 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

its incredible that some of these idiots can have any negativity about this project??? and to casinoguy!! whats your problem with ME!! if your PAT, then I will refresh your little mind and refer you to an agreement you signed AND AGREED TO that stipulated that when the investors got the OK from the powers that be that is when YOU would receive a % FOR YOUR WORK!!!! I do not hide behind any false name I am CS!!!!!!! and my project has been totally researched, documented and a formal BP has been developed, a MAJOR theme Park consulting firm has been retained many times to come to Ytown to discuss the [project with many pertinent local officials!!! i have been at the door twice in the last 9 years but have been thwarted by politics!!! My project was thought highly of by Bob Hagen in 2002 when he set an appointment with the head of the ODNR in columbus, as at that time I had an investment group ready to move IF I was able to secure 200 acres of State owned land adjacent to lake Milton, the odnr turned down the request to purchase if though it meant 1500 jobs plus a myriad of trickle down economics!! It is NOT pie in the sky, it will be a reality some way, I am close and will be even closer!! So casino guy, get some guts and come and see me to tell me to my face what your problem is!!!

15cs(5 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

My project representative Mr. John J Bartko has an UNBLEMISHED record!!!! The other NAMELESS clown that supposedly researched Mr. Bartko didn't have the brains to make sure he had the correct John Bartko!!!!!!! So to the people who read these comments, take heed that cowards who do NOT sign their name should not be taken seriously!!!
As per my initial land (state owned) in 2002 was ready to be purchased, leased or whatever we could work out with the state by the "Investment group" committed to the project, but, because of something called agenda 21 "sustainable development" instituted by the United Nations within our country the ODNR refused this development!! The result of the states refusal our community did not have the opportunity for a MAJOR themepark to be built. This project would have provided at least 1,500 full time jobs plus the economic 7 to 1 trickle down dollar circulation affect within our immediate community along with the 2 years of construction employment, materials purchased and so forth, not to mention the 1.5 million visitors to OUR community spending their $ in our community!!!! In 2008 another program I put together was thwarted by the powers at the state level!!! True, it is a dream, but a dream that has been COMPLETELY researched and is ready to implement with COMPETENT PROFESSIONALS as soon as, IN THIS scenario, certain govt and state needs are understood by our elected officials that TRULY care about our communty!!! Mr. Dave Ludt was completely behind MY project over the years I have been trying to make it happen and I am sorry he is not still a commissioner!! The illinformed and uninformed blogging naysayers are just that, UNINFORMED to what I have been doing for 9 years!! Some people just like to hate!!!!
Carl Severino
2 Worlds Parks (return to Idora)

16spinster68(5 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

censoredship - I am taking issue with you. I may be a new comer but I resent the fact that I, as a tax payer , can not have my own views or opinions in your eyes ? No I am not involved with a casino or any other partner company as you claim. Watch the fingers you are pointing. No one has to report to you about any project or money unless you would like to put your money where your fingers are and back these guys. Then and only then do you need to know of any past projects. Or any type of business plan. Do you have the guts or money to support this ? Make sure you are truely and not FAIRLY certain whos involved in what. I resent the fact that in your eyes, I have to be involved with this and can't comment like you can.....Get real genuise. We need jobs around here ! Get off your negative, irritatating ride and hold on. I hope this does go thru for everyone involved. It would be nice to see some action back in this town instead of only negative words on the computer.

17cs(5 comments)posted 4 years ago

Censoredship! My project is and was to be funded totally by Private investors!!! I do not understand how you come up with the idea that I needed public funding! True, I did try to accumulate funds with a promotion on the second site in 2002 after the ODNR turned down the request to purchase/lease or partner with Ohio to obtain the 200 acres the Private investment group ready to proceed with the entire project WANTED!
Its hilarious how ill informed, uninformed people are and can degrade this project and MY tenacity!! These type of losers are simply funny!! As I have stated, I have brought in a MAJOR theme park consulting firm many times to discuss with local officials and my investor groups!! Yes, Mr Traficant was given my BP and he discussed with the Tribal leaders, they were ecstatic about the potential this addition would add to the overall appeal!!
As per Agenda 21 "sustainable development" you must google Tom DeWeese and get educated on this FACT!!! The ODNR told me "they" wanted to keep this land "pristine"!! As I mulled over the WHY, I uncovered this United Nation intrusion into american land sovereignty. the ODNR basically said forget about 1,500 FULL time jobs, 2 million potential visitors to our area spending their $ in our area, forget about the $7 to $1 trickle down economics to the tri county which means that for every dollar this project grosses that dollar moves thru the community 7 times!!!!!!!!!!! forget about the potential that a visitor to the park MAY have expansion of their business in mind and may look into our area as a possible expansion site due to the incredible highway system and labor pool! No the ODNR simply didn't care!!! By now our area would have been benefiting from this major park in ALL forms!!
My "stint" at CLP was such a success the FIRST year that the powers that be tried to TAKE it back after we completely turned it around in just the first year. They said we didn't pay the lease, which we PROVED in court we DID!!! Still those criminals wrested the park from me with the collusion of a bankruptcy trustee that supposedly was there to handle the $ and make sure my creditors got paid 2 days before a $700,000 fourth of July weekend without spending 1 dime to open it!!!!! So I say to the ill informed Now your just a little informed!!! And again to the others that hide behind false names get some guts put your name out there and lets have a cup of coffee and tell me to my face what you don't like or how this project is inept!!!
Carl Severino