Cops credit feds in capture of Toney

Published: Sun, October 24, 2010 @ 12:08 a.m.

By Ed Runyan

runyan@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

The U.S. Marshals Service assisted the Youngstown Police Department “pretty much around the clock” over the last four weeks in its successful effort to locate Aubrey F. Toney, Youngstown Police Chief Jimmy Hughes said.

Toney, 29, of Youngstown, gave himself up peacefully to members of the U.S. Marshals Service in a hotel room in Suwannee, Ga., an Atlanta suburb, at 2 a.m. Saturday.

He is being kept in the Gwinnett County Detention Center in Lawrenceville, Ga., pending legal proceedings to bring him back to Youngstown to face death-penalty-level charges.

He’s accused of being the triggerman in the Sept. 25 South Side killing of Thomas Repchic, 74, and wounding of Repchic’s wife, Jacqueline, 74, by firing a weapon into their older-model Cadillac at Southern Boulevard and Philadelphia Avenue just after they had left St. Dominic Church.

Jacqueline Repchic was shot in her leg, which had to be amputated.

Chief Hughes said Toney had been renting the hotel room for about two weeks, though it’s not clear if he had been staying there the whole time. Suwannee is about 35 miles east of Atlanta.

Hughes said police were tracking Toney in the Columbus area shortly after they identified him as a suspect. The U.S. Marshal’s Service checked about six locations in Columbus.

They continued searching locations south of Columbus in the weeks that followed before learning that Toney might be in the Atlanta area, Hughes said.

Youngstown police remained in communication with Toney’s mother while searching for Aubrey Toney, and she was trying to get Aubrey to turn himself in, the most recent time having been Wednesday, Hughes said.

“It seemed promising he would turn himself in,” Hughes said.

Ultimately, investigators learned where to find Toney as a result of sightings and information, the chief added. Reward money was being offered in the case.

“Our guys have been following leads and [working with] other agencies,” Hughes said. “We did get some tips ... I can never say enough good about the rewards program.”

Hughes added, “It’s a relief we have [Toney] back in custody, and I’m confident when he goes to court, we’ll have a conviction. Detectives did a tremendous job to identify two suspects in the case within 24 hours.

“These are two of the most dangerous individuals we have in the city of Youngstown,” Hughes said. “Getting them off the street will absolutely make the streets safer.”

Youngstown police arrested Toney’s alleged accomplice, Kevin D. Agee Jr., 25, of West Ravenwood Avenue, Youngstown, Sept. 28.

Police believe Agee drove a sport utility vehicle containing Toney the day of the 1 p.m. shooting. A Mahoning County grand jury indicted Agee and Tony in early October on charges of aggravated murder, attempted murder and felonious assault with gun specifications.

If convicted, both men could get the death penalty.

Police believe the shooting was a case of mistaken identity in a feud between two rival factions. Police say Toney and Agee saw the older-model burgundy Cadillac Thomas Repchic was driving and believed the car was that of the person with whom they had been feuding.

It could take 10 days for Toney to be returned to Youngstown, because an extradition hearing must be held.

If Toney refuses to waive extradition, it will take longer for him to be back in Youngstown, Hughes said.

He will most likely be flown here, meaning it will only take a couple days once his extradition is complete, Hughes said. His first hearing in Youngstown will be in Mahoning County Common Pleas Court, the chief said.

A spokesperson at the Gwinnett County Detention Center said Saturday evening Toney did not have any hearings scheduled, but an extradition hearing would most likely occur in Gwinnett County Superior Court, also in Lawrenceville.

Comments

1ytownoh330(14 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

just fry him, I don't want to pay for him for the next 20 or so years!

2BLOGFROG(14 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

OK, STEP ONE IS COMPLETED HE IS IN JAIL AND WILL BACK IN YOUNGSTOWN SHORTLY. NOW WE NEED TO ASK THE QUESTION "HOW IN THE HELL DID THIS GUY GET TO ATLANTA?' WHO HELPED HIM? WHO GAVE HIM MONEY TO GET THERE AND PAY FOR HIS ROOM? YOU KNOW DAM WELL THIS GUY DIDN'T HAVE A JOB, WHOEVER HELPED THIS SCUMBAG NEEDS TO BE IN JAIL ALSO..IMEDIATELY! WE NEED TO SEND A MESSAGE HERE PEOPLE. THEIR NAMES AND FACES NEED TO BE PLASTERED ALL OVER THE PLACE IN ORDER TO SAY TO OTHERS..."IF YOU HELP A CRIMINIAL YOU GO TO JAIL ALSO." JUSTICE SHOULD BE SWIFT AND BRUTAL FOR THESE PEOPLE. IF WE HAVE TO EXTRADITE PEOPLE FROM ATLANTA THEN DO IT!..GET THE MESSAGE OUT! "AIN'T NO PLAYING WITH PLAYERS ANYMORE AND IF YOU THINK YOU'RE A PLAYA..THEN YOU CAN PLAY ALL YOU WANT IN THE SLAMMER. GOOD RIDDANCE.

NOW, WHAT ABOUT THE IDOTS THE TWO THOUGHT THEY WERE SHOOTING...WHERE ARE THEY? THEY ALSO NEED TO BE IN JAIL. IF FOR ANYTHING HOW... ABOUT MENANCING...C'MON PAUL GAINS GET CREATIVE HERE...GET THOSE ANIMALS TOO. MAYBE RACKETEERING, CONSPIRACY..ANYTHING...DON'T DROP THE BALL HERE!

3UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully it won't take 20 years before these two urban gangstas meet their needle and justice is served.

4allstar720(253 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

They aren't going to get the death penalty for this, it'd be nice, but they won't because it's not really premeditated and more of a crime of passion. By they time they'll get out, though, they will be in their 50s and really, really into men having spent the last 20-30 years surrounded by men, lol. Hope you like mens, homeboy!

5Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

The bad boys who supplied Aubrey Toney with drugs are still loose with little fear of capture .

6anothermike(211 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Of course he doesn't (didn't) have a job...they are dope dealers fighting for turf boundries and have plenty of cash from their enterprise....probably where he got the money to "flee the scene". No need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out.....

7areyoupeopleserious(9 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

May God have mercy on all your souls! Yours as well as the criminals......Yes they need to pay for their crimes....but you all just thrive on the negativity! you just want a reason to Say things like fry em and what the city SHOULD DO and WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN! Maybe
1. you should move to the city and help start things like neighborhood watches and other effective means of fighting the violence. Not referring to using your guns to 'Meet the thugs that try you on the streets'
and
2. Run for some type of political office to actually do something to help the community come come up with a REAL plan of action. All this posting comments about you wishful thoughts of what YOU WOULD DO is just that: wishful thoughts! SOMEBODY STEP UP AND TAKE SOME REAL ACTION PLEASE!

8southsidedave(4780 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Now, the State must provide food, clothing, and shelter to these scum until which time the State determines all of their rights have been duly exhausted and the death sentence may be carried out. What a waste of Government money.

I like the comment above from "areyoupeopleserious" - apparently you have never been touched by violent street crime and neither has anyone in your immediate family, because you would have a different opinion as to the dispostion of these street thugs.

9areyoupeopleserious(9 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

I have in Youngstown on the southside rather close to where the above crime was committed. Please do not make assumptions about me. Crime is everywhere and in fact you would have to be a rather lucky person to not have a crime committed that affects your or anyone that you know. I know people that have been accused of crimes as well as people that have been victims of crimes. I was just raised in a way that I don't ADD to the problem by using negativity. I was raised to try and help the situation... to find a resolution to the problem. And the problem is that you don't Know me nor the victims or the accused. Regardless of what you people think you know....you only know what you see on the news or hear in the media! These people ALL have families and EVERYONE in their families are not rotten to the core. And This will affect all of the families involved. I feel for THESE people. And no I DO NOT want to meet Aubrey Toney on the street and shoot him like the Dog you claim he is! Was he wrong? YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Should he pay for his crimes? Of Course he should.
But violence begets violence! What I am saying is that saying is that most people who comment on this will not do anything about it....that will help society. They wanted him caught....he is caught. Now what???? Now you are complaining about him going to jail and wasting your 'TAX dollars' on his imprisonment. What is the problem now? He is off the street right? Serving time for his crime right? No matter what we do even if we Fry him....it won't bring that poor man back or give his wife her husband or her leg back. It is Sad what is going on in Youngstown. To see a city that I grew up in reduced to THIS!! And to see narrow minded people judging me for wanting to REALLY do something about it besides sound angry on Vindy.com to a bunch of nameless commentors. Please get over yourselves!

10ElPolloRetrasado(202 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

@ areyoupeopleserious ... Frying them is not adding to the problem, it is ridding the world of the problem. Obviously the guy is guilty or else he would not have been running so I don't need to know the slugs because they are guilty and that is shown by their own actions. No trial, just death. Its one thing when these jacka$$es kill each other, that's completely alright with me, but when they kill an innocent person then they need put down. Or maybe they can go live with you considering your posts seem to make them out to be victims themselves.

11USMC0331(150 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

That's exactly why the country is the way it is today. People are soft! Oh don't say you want to shoot him! Don't say you want him to fry! I agree that posting comments on here is not gonna get much done but that's what this is, a discussion! After they get out in 20-30 years? Are you kidding me?! They should never see the light of day and or never breathe again! As for the immediate families of these "people" who are humans and have feelings so we can't do anything bad to them boo woo woo! Go suck an egg! If they were normal people who did what they had to do these 2 wouldn't be in the situation that they are in now! If this country had stiffer penalties for the crimes committed and actually followed through with them things would be different! But we are to busy worried about peoples feelings and how it will look! Just like the guy from Warren who hacked up that women and then put in an appeal on his death sentance because leathal injection was cruel and unusal punishment. He cut the lady up into pieces for god sake! And they actually entertained that idea!! As for contributing to the help of the community, I do that on a daily basis so I sleep pretty good at night.

12areyoupeopleserious(9 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

See that is what I am talking about NEGATIVITY! I never said anything about them not getting their justice. Again quit trying to make this out to be something is not. I did not call them victims....I said that the accused have families to and not all of their families are rotten to the core. I said for you all to quit complaining and help with the situation! Which by the way I notice none of you seemed to address that part of my comments! Strange....Stop saying If this country had stiffer laws and help get those so called laws in action. AGAIN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!! I mean besides calling me soft for having regard for all human life and telling me to go suck an egg or telling me that them all killing each other is the answer......Ummm if you recalling them trying to kill each other is what got the innocent couple shot in the first place! I can keep talking to you people about this because honestly I don think you get it. When I think of some angry way to join in this mindless chatter I will get back to you. Then maybe you can take the time to look at from all aspects

13ElPolloRetrasado(202 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

@areyoupeopleserious,,, You're right I don't get it, I don't get why simpletons such as yourself are allowed to use oxygen! By the way I am doing something about it, I choose not to live in that $hithole!

14Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

areyoupeopleserious :

"May God have mercy on all your souls!"

Aubrey Toney got caught because of my inaction . I should have chartered a plane and flown him down to Mexico that night after the shooting . What was I thinking ?

Aubrey Toney was able to kill Thomas Repchic because of my inaction . The city and our prosecutor don't allow preemtive measures and I really wasn't in a position to respond when Aubrey first drew his gun .

I am not into saving the souls of these lost fools like Aubrey Toney because I deem them a lost cause . They were imprinted with a criminal mind by their upbringing and those whom they associated with . Bringing them into mainstream society would be on par with training a snapping turtle but dealing with the turtle would be much safer . BTW the turtle that locked onto the boys face in Warren had to be removed with an injection .

15USMC0331(150 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Well if you read What I wrote you'd see that I said, "as for contributing to the community, I do that on a daily basis". But you'd rather argue because you think your right! I NEVER said that them killing each other was the answer. I do have regard for human life, to the human who has regard for the same! These two obviously do not. And I as I was sayin if they were raised right they wouldn't be in this situation! And what exactly are you doing to help?! I don't see you out there tryng to help the cause and save the world. And saving the trees and whales ain't gonna help it!

16areyoupeopleserious(9 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

you people do know that I am responding to everyone posts right?

USMC033:1 if you contribute to the community good for you. That is all I am saying. And would you even know if you saw me out in the streets doing good for the community....Do you know me personally? Obviously if I am trying to encourage other people to get out there then I am already following my own advice. But since you asked I do work with the youth to help them learn that violence is not the answer. I volunteer as a tutor to help keep them in school. I sell clothes and donate the money to charity. I help the church teach them about God and I help young mothers get jobs and get off of the system. And not just in the community of Youngstown. I don't understand why all the anger towards my comments. I never said you all were idiots I just said angry and negative. If you felt that it was not true then why get so defensive.
And Stan:

Really???? You are one of the most negative posters on this site.....I do not think that I have ever read anything positive or even remotely close to you having a Real way to help the victims. No you should not have chartered a plane to get him out of there. I never said that he should be free. I said that if you think that Youngstown is such a rat hole then help clean it up.(And not by shooting up the whole city to so) Aubrey is going to pay for his crime believe me I am in total agreement with that. That is really all that matters. You all need to stop misreading my comments. I think that we all want a real solution to the problem because it does not end with these two....All I am asking is what can be done on our part to help make a difference in the solution. If you don't agree with what I am saying then fine...you are entitled to your opinion. I am not trying to be RIGHT...I am just trying to give a different perspective than what you are saying that's all. Is it a crime to look at it from all aspects? I am just trying to be Just. I am sorry that you feel like there is something wrong with that.

17areyoupeopleserious(9 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

ElPolloRetrasado

Funny....glad to see that now i should die and am stupid for my opinion. I feel sorry for you too buddy.

18USMC0331(150 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

If you do indeed do those things then I commend you for most people don't do anything. I myself have dedicated most of my life to serving. I'm not patting myself on the back but I've made a life of it. And I wouldn't have known you do those things until you said that. No I wouldn't know you if I saw you on the street, but if your going to recommend doing it give some info on it. Some people would do it they just wouldn't know how to go about getting started. And life in this city is far worse than people can imagine. Some people are good but there's not too many left. I'd be more than happy to lend a hand with you when talking to the youth about violence. Why? Because that's where it starts. The families out here don't care, I've seen it. So the children turn to the streets because there's nothin else. It's sad to think about but it is all to much of a reality in this town. I've posted before that teachers and police officers are not the answer but the majority of these people think that it's the teachers and police officers duty to raise their children. I guess when you get everything for free and assume you are owed everything that's the way you would think. We are several generations deep of that thinking and I have only one idea on how to fix it.....stop giving them s$@1 for free!!

19Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

areyoupeopleserious :

"Really???? You are one of the most negative posters on this site.....I do not think that I have ever read anything positive or even remotely close to you having a Real way to help the victims."

The Aubrey Toneys in the city are beyond my control . Their parents or parent have raised them well . Their minds are imprinted with criminal programming . To come in contact with them is akin to dealing with a snapping turtle but the turtle is much safer . As long as these fellows are loose society is in danger . Execute those given the death penalty within sixty days and save the prison space for those who have been given just prison time .

I have no sympathty for criminals or their families who molded them into what they are . I only see stupidity in the people making excuses for them .

20Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Well this scared lowly cockroach scampered down to Atlanta, hiding in a more then likely flea infested motel, trying to blend in. Now the justice system better not fail and give this sorry piece of whatever breed of animal it deserves. Wish he would've saved us all the trouble and ate some metal hiding in his motel room. Useless trash.

areyouseriouspeople

"All I am asking is what can be done on our part to help make a difference in the solution."

"Our" part? What can be done? I talk to the youth of this city and tell my story, and it's sad, because the majority could care less. They come to just get out of classes or out of there cells for a little. Anyway, if I could help just one person it's worth it, but honestly, it starts with the families. They are the ones that have to do there part, no one else. There upbringing says it's okay to do crime and such, if the family would turn in there own before they kill or rob or deal then the majority of the problem is solved. But they don't, they protect there kids because there the problem also, it's trickles down and down and almost never ending. I said it before and I'll say it again, the kids today have no respect whatsoever. Do you really believe this animal and Houser and the rest care what they do? There just ticked off because they got caught, that's all. If they ever got out, 99.9% would go back to the streets and forget about the innocent ones they killed in cold blood. Bottom line, it won't stop until the families put a stop to it, no one else.

21Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

"Bottom line, it won't stop until the families put a stop to it, no one else. "

AMEN !