Ursuline defeats Mooney in rivalry showdown

Published: Sat, October 23, 2010 @ 12:18 a.m.

By TOM WILLIAMS

williams@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Two bone-rattling tackles helped turn a tight contest between defending state champions into a blowout.

Cardinal Mooney Vs. Ursuline

Blitz highlight reel

Blitz highlight reel

With Mooney leading 7-6 in the third quarter, the Cardinals lost defensive lineman Chris DeChellis and linebacker Pat McGlone to injuries. After Akise Teague’s 5-yard touchdown put Ursuline ahead for good, the Irish tacked on four touchdowns in the fourth quarter for a 44-7 victory on Friday at Stambaugh Stadium.

Read the story in Saturday’s Vindicator.

Comments

1cclautti(4 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

i am glad to see that the vindicator is glorifying " two bone-rattling tackles" that sent 2 KIDS to the hospital with severe head and neck injuries, i am sure the parents of those kids will be very pleased to see this article!

2Fromtheoutsidelookingin(2 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

This is hardly an article. It is barely a paragraph. I certainly hope this "article" gets updated and we can learn that the young men have been released from the hospital and are expected to be fine. Maybe The Vindicator's top notch reporters could even throw in some stats and details about the game. A rare chance for The Vindicator to cover a big game between two schools actually IN the city of Youngstown, and we get three sentences. Sadly, I am not surprised. Best wishes to Mr. DeChellis and Mr. McGlone, I hope you are both home and doing well very soon. Go Irish!

3valleyred(1093 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

CONGRATS IRISH! My prayers are with DeChellis and McGlone!

4irish1610(2 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

News flash: football is a contact sport, and there have been plenty of injuries in this rivalry over the years. Mooney loses, and of course it gets blamed on the injuries and not on the fact that they were just plain outplayed. Some people just don't know how to lose gracefully. Go Irish!!

5joseph(46 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Outplayed my ass. Ursuline's team is trash from top to bottom this year. Both hits were cheap shots and they were celebrating them on the sidelines. Going for 2 when the game is already out of reach is just tasteless. I guess they figure since they win this game once every 6 years on the average they better make the most of it.

6WOT(16 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Cheap shots? Are you kidding? The second occureed when an Ursuline ballcarrier ran over the Mooney defender trying to tackle him. How can you possibly consider that to be cheap? The other was a perfectly legal block. No penalty called on it.

Please check your math on the series record, also. And learn how to lose with a tiny shred of class before you accuse others of being "trash."

As for the two-point conversions, ask your freshman coaching staff about those.

Have a good one, joseph.

7shutyourface(246 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Wait a minute here Joseph cheap shots wow REALLY???????Watch the game again buddy! The first hit your guy was going for the tackle and got blown out his spikes. The second Teague ran him over on the goal line........... wow thats a cheap shot???????????????????So tomorrow when Adrian Peterson an NFL player you probably don't know who that is runs people over he is cheap shotting guys WOW! Just b/c we don't have all white players makes us dirty so now your a racist Joseph makes you look worse than us. Our kids took a knee when the they got hurt Joseph nobody was celebrating anything.

8steelhead(123 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Those were not cheap shots at all. They were clean, hard hits. Teague was certainly "in the zone" and is a great athelete. I thought UHS acted appropriately, as they took a knee when there was an injury, Mooney did not. As far as going for 2, I just figured that the UHS kicker was hurt or stinks. Congratulations Ursuline on a well-played, hard hitting game. Next stop State Champs! -Steelhead (Mooney '86)

9joseph(46 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Teague put the crown of his helmet under 2 guys' facemasks. It happen right in front of me. That's dirty. Also since 1989 Mooney is 16-5 in this rivalry. So WOT I'd do your research before you spout off. Ursuline has no class whatsoever. Coaching staff on down.

10WOT(16 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

You're unbelievable. But, I've come to expect extreme arrogance and whining from Mooney fans. You are certainly no different.

16-5, 37-16-3, I know everything about this series. That is why I said that your "one out of six" comment was wrong.. And it is. You just showed it yourself.

I also know that Mooney got completely and totally ouplayed, outcoached, manhandled and destroyed. "Cheap shots" had nothing to do with any of it. You just have to get over it and move on.

11joseph(46 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

One out of six was just a figure of speech. You can't argue that this has been a one sided rivalry for a long time.

12steelhead(123 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Joseph-you are the guy that lets UHS fans b***h about Mooney fans. They were the better team, some times you lose. Try to do it with dignity. Teague got lower than the guy trying to tackle him, just like Coach Fecko would have taught him if he played for Mooney. Textbook running. WOT- This clown does not represent Mooney fans any more than the Ursuline fans behind me making fun of the injured Mooney players represents true UHS fans. BTW was the kicker hurt or does he stink?

13valleyred(1093 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

The Mooney fans whining simply do not understand, Ursuline is by far and away the better team this year. The only score for Mooney was giftwrapped for the Cardinals after Thigpen turned it over in Mooney territory.

Other than that, Ursuline's defense caused havoc for the Mooney offense for much of the night.

Be sore losers all you want, but the fact of the matter is no team is going to beat Ursuline this year by scoring just 7 points.

GO URSULINE!!!

14irish1610(2 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Joseph: trash from top to bottom? really? I hope you are a high school student because that is the maturity level your comments display. Mooney lost, get over it and quit whining and making excuses. There's always next year.

15WOT(16 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

My favorite from this clown is "outplayed my as-."

Seriously? You think Mooney wasn't outplayed? Explain that, please.

16joseph(46 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

It took 2 of Mooney's top defensive players to be taken out of the game for Ursuline to do anything. That's what I mean by outplayed my ass.

17WOT(16 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

So now, Brown Cow!

Yakkety yak, don't Jack back.

You yam what you yam, and you dig yams.

18sublimeskillz(1 comment)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

I wasn't at the game. I don't know who outplayed who. And I cannot comment on whether or not either team used dirty tactics. That being said, is anyone else disgusted by this "article"? If Ursuline outplayed Mooney and deserve to win by forty points, that's great for the Irish; however, for this "reporter" to imply that two "bone-rattling" hits which sent two high-schoolers to the hospital were positive plays in this game is ridiculous. Whether the hits were legal or not, no one should want to see injuries like that at any level of sport. If the Irish deserved to win, report that. I am shocked that in this summary of one of the greatest rivalries in the Valley, the Vindicator chose to focus on how two injury-inducing hits positively impacted one team. It seems like every time I read something from the Vindicator, I lose more respect.

19valleyred(1093 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Joseph my friend, I learned a long while ago back in my grade school years not to post ridiculous, immature comments on the Internet. I think this is a lesson for you to do the same as well.

It is becoming more and more obvious that you never played a down of football in your life because you continue commenting that it took two injured Cardinals for Ursuline to roll.

Once again, Mooney's ONLY score came off a Ursuline fumble in the 2nd quarter. The play after DeChellis went down, Ursuline ran to the opposite side of where DeChellis would have been and Teague took it deep into Mooney's territory, where they later eventually scored.

Joseph, I think you guys need to start worrying about Moeller because if you thought yesterday was bad, you are in for it Friday against Moeller, who I think is one of the best teams in all of Ohio this year.

20ytownturb(2 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow, glad to see the rivalry still lives. Congrats to Ursuline. It looks like it was a tail kicking. Can someone explain why the Ursuline coach went for two points when his team was up by so many?

21joseph(46 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

Ursuline is a bunch of thugs this year.