DOLL HOUSE OF HORROR

Published: Wed, October 20, 2010 @ 12:01 a.m.

By JORDAN COHEN

news@vindy.com

NILES

Halloween displays on front lawns tend to be macabre; after all, it’s the

nature of Halloween.

A display of disfigured baby dolls on North Main Street, however, has aroused the anger of some residents to the point that the city’s zoning inspector has asked the homeowner to take down the display.

That’s not going to happen, according to Krista Smith, the homeowner.

“They’re taking this as baby specific, and it’s not,” said Smith, 34, a stay-at-home mother with two school-age children. “This is just baby dolls like in [horror] movies and has nothing to do with real babies.

“It’s not meant to offend; it’s meant to be entertaining.”

Smith and Amanda Milton, 28, who also lives at the residence, say their exhibit is designed to reflect “the dark and eerie side of Halloween.”

At that level, it plainly succeeds. One doll hangs by the neck from a tree; another has an imitation ax in its head; and a third, with arms and legs partially dismembered, sits in a sling.

A large crib with dolls that are painted to give the

appearance of being bloodied or charred sits prominently on the lawn. A nearby sign on a sheet says “After Death Daycare” with Milton’s cell-phone number on the bottom.

“Some people have a problem with it,” said Milton, adding that the phone calls she has received have been critical.

“One caller said that we’re going to hell, but I’m a good Christian and I go to church every Sunday,” Smith said. “The idea that I would be displaying dead babies is horrific.”

Zoning inspector Anthony Vigorito asked Smith to remove the display after several city offices reported receiving angry complaints. Smith said Vigorito told her the city had no authority to force her to remove the display. Calls to Vigorito were not returned.

One upset resident, Tracey Greene, 41, said that Smith’s display looks like a depiction of tragic deaths of young children. That opened up a painful memory for Greene, a Niles grandmother, who said she lost an 8-week-old granddaughter to sudden infant death syndrome in 2006.

“If I did something that I realized was upsetting people, I would take it down and I would assume she would do the same,” Greene said. “This is not in the spirit of Halloween — it’s just morbid.”

Terry Dull, Niles law director, said at this point he can find no violation of the city’s nuisance law that would force Smith to remove the display, but he is checking other ordinances.

“I’m looking into the general-offenses code to see if anything else might apply,” Dull said.

Greene said that if Dull finds the city can take no action, she and her family may make signs and protest at the display.

“If she [Smith] has the free speech to do that, then I have the same,” Greene said.

Smith said she put out a smaller version of the display last year, and there were no protests. She vows she will not remove it.

“If they demand that I take this down, then they should make everyone else take down their Halloween displays,” responded Smith.

“I can see where she’s coming from,” Dull said.

Comments

1Billybob21(96 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Come on its halloween if bothers you that much don't look at. This is ridiculous the city should have told the lady that was complaining to get a life it is Halloween halloween is a dark morbid holiday

2YSUGRAD(134 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

If you don't like it don't look at it.

3CassAnn(252 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I consider it to be in poor taste but to each their own.. it's her own property that she pays for and it isn't causing a health hazard. So many people today will go hysterical and call zoning over something being out of place at their neighbors property and at the same time turn a blind eye to a theft or a child or elderly neighbor in need.

4UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Get a life in Niles already - it's Halloween!

5fitnessbuff(57 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Does she rent or own?

6saksmasher(9 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I think this lady did a hell of a job creating a Halloween ambiance for her neighborhood. As a matter of fact maybe she should be a consultant to the Canfield (not so scary and waste of money) Scare grounds. And by the way; WHO CARES IF SHE RENTS OR OWNS, WHAT KIND OF QUESTION WAS THAT. WHAT, PEOPLE THAT RENT DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO ENJOY THEIR HOLIDAYS...............GET A FREAKING LIFE.

7GTX66(341 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Some people will do anything for attention.

8AtownParent(561 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

People are just plain stupid in this valley. It is someone's home, not public property, and she has the right to create her display as she chooses. Your grandchild died of SIDS, while I am sorry, it has no bearing on baby dolls with axes in their heads. Go find a hobby since you seem to have so much time on your hands.

I wonder if this woman drove by the display? maybe she should worry more about keeping her eyes on the road then scoping out other people's property.

9ValleyNative(174 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

They should show the house on Fairway in Canfield that has a giant, inflatable cat that must honestly be 20 feet high. It must really piss off his/her neighbors lol. And it has a "Bush/Quayle" political sign in the yard. I never thought I would find such humor in 44406.

10Pyroc(111 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Message to Zoning Inspector Anthony Vigorito.....

"Sorry Jack.....Chuckie's Back"

11KristaisTheBoss(12 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Good Morning Mahoning Valley Residents..

I am the home "owner" Krista Smith.. I want to thank you for those of you who support my HALLOWEEN DISPLAY.. I can't not believe that it has got this out of hand, and my YARD is more important then anything else going on in the valley. There is suppose to be Protestors here today at 3:30pm as well.. How insane is this???

Here is my comment.. I love the dark side of Halloween.. I love horror movies..Dolls are creepy to me...Dead Dismembered Dolls are even more creepy.. Not one moment did I EVER put children into this same equation.. I have children and they love it!! Halloween is scary..The Halloween Store's even carry dead babies to buy..But we did this all by hand, and alot of hard work went into this display. I will not take it down until Halloween is over..

Honestly.. if some people would just have minded thier own buisness my yard would not have been that big of a deal..Those people who complained are the ones giving us so much publicity.. So should I thank them for bringing us all this attention to our hard work??

Happy Halloween From the "Doll House of HORROR" lol

Krista :)

12severthis(42 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

When I first saw the photo: HOw funny! Some are going to get, some won't. Try to remember, "If you were minding your own business, you wouldn't have time to mind mine." Happy Halloween.

13moneymoney(21 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@ Krista

Why don't you use your "talents" to make a display that everyone can enjoy? Can you really fault people for finding images of bloody baby corpses to be a little offensive? You keep referencing horror movies. Point taken. But remember that horror movies are rated R for good reason.

14AtownParent(561 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@moneymoney - Because it is her yard and she can make any kind of display she wants. They are tiny baby dolls, not even close to being lifelike so "bloody baby corpses" is a bit melodramatic.

15KristaisTheBoss(12 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@ Moneymoney

My talents are many varied.. I use my talents to decorate for EVERY single holiday..And just because not everyone enjoys it, I have to take it down? I have to conform to YOUR enjoyment?? What about my enjoyment?? And just like I already said.. There are dead bodies ALL over the area in other peoples yards for Halloween, shouldn't that be rated R as well?? Where is it going to end?

16DivaMommy(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

This comment is for all "offended" readers and viewers. Forget about Halloween.. do you think that other religions are offended by Christmas lights? Do they call the city and complain because of the Christmas Lights being "untasteful". Since when is Halloween supposed to be pretty? The horror movies are Rated "R" because of the graphics and killing done, and cussing, and most of all sexual humor, NOT BABYDOLLS IN SOMEONES OWN YARD, and so that the people buying it are warned when seeing the front cover and take the necessary precautions. I don't think by ANY means that Krista is being Morbid, I think she is indulging in the celebration of a holiday. I live in Niles myself, and drive by this display everyday and laugh everytime I drive by it, and YES, I am a mother of 3 children, one that happens to be an infant, and I still see nothing wrong with this. I think it's pretty bad that the Law Director is "Searching" high and low for a broken ordinance...how about taking some of that time to search for the numerous little brats that are breaking into cars in Niles and vandalising to the point where I can't even put a pumpkin outside without it being smashed. I think there might be an ordinance for that one. Keep up the great work Krista, it really shows the crafty side of some of our residents :)

17Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Seriously folks, get a life. What is the big deal. It's a Halloween decoration, no more, no less.
Protesters? Get real.....protest the violence on the streets not a Halloween display. Geez.
To each there own.

18KristaisTheBoss(12 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Question,,, Are Barbie Dolls concidered baby's?? Cuz a big part of my dolls are Barbie...

Also,, if you would like to donate dolls to our display you can drop them off in our donation crib.. Thanks!

19BigSkySally(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@moneymoney

Get a life. Worry about what YOU are doing rather than someone else. Halloween is morbid. Deal with it. What about all the gravestones in people's yards? Don't you think that "bloody baby corpses" might be buried under some of those? It's gits like you that suck the fun out of life. We need reasons to celebrate, and not everyone celebrates the same way. Should I come over and tell you that from now on, you can only have tofu on Thanksgiving?

@Krista

What a fun display! Being all the way in Montana, I hope you don't mind if I use some of your ideas for my spooky graveyard! Have a great Halloween!

20moneymoney(21 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@Krista

I'm not trying to stop you from doing anything. When did I say that I want you to take your display down? I believe in your rights to express yourself as much as you'd like without doing actual harm to any one. I'd fight for your right to do that just as I'd fight for my right to criticize your form of expression.

21KristaisTheBoss(12 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@ DivaMommy

Thank You! You expressed my thoughts so well.. I had my car broke into a few weeks ago..and what happened.. NOTHING.. I also had a piece of my privacy fence burned down right before that and again.. NOTHING.. More kids in this neighborhood deal drugs then go to school.. What a shame that they are wasting thier time on me.,.

22mebo169(1 comment)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

OK... So has anyone been into the Halloween Store in Boardman?? Yeah well you can buy mutalated baby dolls, holding butcher knives, with bulging eyes and blood everywhere. They even have a bloody nasty baby doll comming out of a dummies belly, and then going back in. So the only difference is that they made their display themselves and worked hard on it. . I love the display!!!!

23DanaScullyMD(7 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Krista, you totally ROCK! $(re# your neighbors. It's freakin' Halloween. I am so tired of this politically correct Halloween BS. Politically correct EVERYTHING! Come on, the whole point of Halloween is to be scared! The kids don't even trick or treat in the dark. I know one thing, I'm coming by to see your display and take pictures!!!! Any this is my daughter's favorite holiday so I know she'll be driving by to see it. I hope she loves it too!!!!!

24NilesDude(5 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

This is no more different or harmful than the Alice Cooper/Rob Zombie concert that just came to town...which for that matter also had baby doll heads and blood and gore...it's called Halloween people! You get to enjoy it once a year for barely a month. Lighten up! It has nothing to do with a person's faith or aim to be obscene and it's harmless. I'm sure it will be down just in time for November when we slaughter millions of innocent Turkeys for our blood meat consumption which is worse than decorations.

25moneymoney(21 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

The thing about me is that when I was a kid, and I'm not old, Halloween was about mysticism and mystery. It wasn't about blood and gore. The new blood and gore aspect of things seems trite and idiotic to me. Halloween never scared me or gave me nightmares so much as it made me think about the things that can't be seen with the naked eye. It also got me thinking about the complex dark side of human nature. There's nothing complex, thought provoking, or mysterious about bloody baby dolls. It's just boring.

26DanaScullyMD(7 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@NilesDude: Krista could keep it up for Christmas because it could symbolize Herod the Great's Slaughter of Innocents in search of Jesus. THEN it would be OK because it would TEACH everyone something. LOL

27phinlover13(3 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Wow, I can't believe this made the front page of today's Vindicator!!! My next door neighbor has put up a big display for Halloween ever since I moved in 9 years ago and you don't see me (or any other neighbors) calling the township authorities!!! Haven't any of these "protesters" in Niles seen the movie "Child's Play"??? People just need to lighten up and except the fact that Halloween is about blood, guts, monsters, ghosts, etc. It's not like she's going to have this up YEAR ROUND.....

28Kc2006(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

To the homeowner, keep fighting!!! What's next? Atheists will complain about Christmas lights and everyone will need to take them down? It's rediculous that people can't mind their own business anymore and let someone celebrate in their own ways.

29vindysugar(3 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

HAHAHA, this is ridiculious...why don't you call your mommy and have her come over and beat this lady up. Call ZONING really... that's just what we need more goverment intervention. Get a grip, it's Halloween. Maybe Zoning needs to come into your home and see what kind of toilet paper your using because something's got your A** in an uproar. BOO!!!

30ValleyNative(174 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Shows how damn boring the Valley is when this makes the front page...

31Nunya(1356 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@ Krista

This is mult-fold

For one I support your personal right to decorate / accessorize as you please. You're in no violation of law as I see it and diversity of opinions can and or should be expressed without trying to formalize any frivolous complaint.

Where I understand the theme and it's without question you've captured the ghoulish gore of the props strewn setting.

Secondly where not to disparage your expressional depiction. But what in the world had you derive a theme of baby dolls.

Granted all the sci-fi and horror writers and makeup artists go for the appalling shock value of gross infringement upon innocence. But were there any other themes you'd entertained as Halloween genre?

It's just a generalized question because no matter how harmless or inane configuring a baby doll is. It's just that I myself wouldn't do it and I think those of a similar inclination. Are expressing themselves in manners of oppositional indifference. That more makes them reflect as trouble makers than anything you're doing.

That said where my condolences go out to the woman whom expressed she'd tragically lost her child a few years back. But I don't see your expression having anything to do with her loss be it directly or indirectly.

Lastly I think it's just the some of us gear to the unfounded questioning, of if one can embrace such a display. The question looms could the person really be so cruel to a real child. However, some just goes beyond the pale in that regard.

32sweets0429(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Wish the only thing I had to worry about in life is another person's display on their personal property. People need to really lighten up and quit being so darn whiny about everything. Just don't look at something if you don't like it. Don't listen to something if it "offends you". When did we become so offended by everything and lose a sense of humor? Most places don't even call the holiday Halloween anymore because of the "dark" undertones. It is a "harvest fest" or something like that. Things are out of control it seems and that is more disturbing than this family's HALLOWEEN display!!

33concerned(167 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Who cares?

So many bigger problems in the world than this halloween display. People are dumb. Care about something that matters!

34Barbb(1 comment)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Everyone is creating a big issue that should never have been. This is a free country and as of yet i do not know any law that says you cannot put halloween displays in your yard. There is so many other problems that lady should worry about, like the drug deals going on down the street. Like the dope dealers hanging around your schools. why not protest against them if you are so worried about your children and keep your kids in the house halloween and keep your kids away from wal mart. they have those displays also.

35annaakita(15 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Tracey Greene needs to join a bridge club or go play more bingo or something. Get a day job or find another hobby than to complain about a holiday. So then Walmart and all them other halloween stores need to go out of business because they sell bloody baby dolls?

36leftyompton4life(79 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

This is no worse then the "Priest with a Boner costume." Get over yourselves. Its Halloween.

37hornet(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Seriously these people need to get a life!! You are offended give me a break! How about I'm offended that you are pushing your opinions on everyone else. I say to the owner of the property to keep exercising your freedom of expression. To those who protest I say sure you can have your opinion but that doesn't mean that she has to remove her display for you to have your opinion. Why is your opinion more important than the property owners. You don't like it don't look. Drive down a different road. How do you watch TV with all of the gory commericals for movies, bet you just change the channel. I don't see you outside the tv station's doors protesting the commericals! I send my sympathies to the woman who lost a child but I just don't make the correlation to the property owners front yard. Shame on the police chief and the zoning inspector for even considering asking the owner to take it down. It's HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!! You don't need to be politically correct on every stinking thing!! There are so many other things that merit a protest, how about you find one and apply yourself to it!!

38Pyroc(111 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Check out the i-report on this Guys Monster display on CNN.... http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-50440...

I wish someone would do an i-report on this display and send it to CNN. I hope many people donate more babies for the display.

39moneymoney(21 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

What amazes me is that this is how valleyites exercise their rights...by placing bloody images of babies on their lawn. You people get relentlessly shtupped in the collective keister every day by your politicians, but you would never, ever have the balls to exercise your rights by actually doing something about that. Instead, you think you're rebellious because of your lame Halloween decorations, because you call me names on the internet even though I said that I would FIGHT FOR HER RIGHT TO DISPLAY THIS CRAP ON HER LAWN. Congratulations, you are free to be completely disgusting jerks. You're also free to get boned by your leaders. Glad to see you're taking advantage of both. Geez. This is what I get for even mildly disagreeing with the navel ring/ATV/high school dropout crowd.

P.S. Good luck with your property values in Niles, not to mention your karma.

40Morrigan(83 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, is it offensive? Depends on your view and level of sensitivity. There's always someone who will be offended no matter what it is.

Is it her right to decorate her yard/home like this? Yes.

41TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

It's Halloween, Niles, get a Life! I find tattoo-laden ear-piercing people that exist among us on a daily basis more unsightly, but that is my opinion; to each their own.

42BigSkySally(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@ moneymoney

Are you saying there's something wrong with a) having a navel piercing, b) owning/riding an ATV, and/or c) being a high school dropout?

You are shallow (as evidenced by your screen name).

And if you want to talk about bloody images of babies (instead of mutilated DOLLS), go talk to your local parish about the disgusting images of aborted fetuses that they post for all to see. Those are real. These are just toys.

43lovedrama(138 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

we should put up a display of ded gangbangers in our youngstown neighborhoods. But, oh dear, the repurcussions....

44comeandtakeit(10 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I love it. It's freedom!!! I just wish people would mind their own business.

45sammyd1949(15 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

NOTHING but an attention-seeking maniac. Best post I've seen about this "woman" can be found on niles.forumer.com. It says it all.

Way to give another black eye to Niles. The humans you bred must be proud. Wonder if the welfare check us taxpayers put in your pocket helped pay for the display???

46sammyd1949(15 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

vile? not at all. sometimes the truth hurts.

responsible parents would not act the way she does, plain and simple. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way. Too bad she can't understand such a simple concept

47spike3825(1 comment)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I too am in to the dark side of Halloween, I love your display. who cares what everyone else is saying...I am on your side !!! forget about the haters

48proudmommyof1(6 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I personally think it is kinda morbid. But when we start telling people what they can and can't do that is wrong. We are suppose to be a free country and have our own opinion. If that is the display they choose to do well then they have that right. If you do not like it don't look or go down that street. The halloween stores have these babies for sale. It is not to say it is right or wrong but if you choose to use them that is your right. I feel bad that this is what is being focused on and not the real problems of this valley. Good luck Krista and stick to your guns on this. Keep your rights to speak your opinion. I don't feel right about it but that is my opinion. Good luck with dealing with people that aren't familiar with our freedoms.

49LtMacGowan(634 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Hey you have a first amendment freedom of expression, and this is no worse than those gruesome anti abortion signs you see, or those obnoxious anti smoking/anti drug/anti alcohol/anti fun commercials.

50nilesmommy(1 comment)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@sammyd I believe she was not trying to get any attention from this.It was the Greene lady that put all this attention tward her with all of the calls and finger pointing.the display was up last year as well.I dont know what kind of life you think she is living but I believe shes just like the rest of us working her way though such a mainly close minded town...my kids go to school with hers and they are wonderful children. as long as I have known her she has been a very active mother in our schools. Maybe if you are a parent you should take a step back and look how you are teaching your kids to be and stop worrying about how others live their life!

51VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I bet all this attention has increased the traffic on Krista's street. Maybe the neighbors should start charging an admission fee to compensate themselves for their trauma.
Happy Holloween!

52KristaisTheBoss(12 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Good Evening Everyone..

Finally everything has calmed down and the brownies are cooling for my nephews (that i also take care of) b-day party celebration with his class tomorrow.. What a horrible parent I am huh??

Just wanted to make this clear that my actual neighbors support me,, The lady that started all this UNWANTED UNNECESSARY drama about our Halloween Display is NOT a nieghbor of mine..The two closest neighbors I have actually helped me put it up and the others are very supportive...

@vindyyak My house is on SR.169.. Main Street!!!!!. We are all used to heavy traffic day and night..

@SammyD This is the second year of my display.. Why did it get this much attention this year then last? Ohh.. I know.. because some lady got offended and took her opinion to the media because the city could nothing for her and I am not going to be bullied to take down something that My family and friends and neighbors and 95% of the people of this forum enjoy down.. Why do I have conform to society's view's? Why does me not looking like you make me a bad parent or even a bad person? Thanks for your opinion and your two cents..Now go take your two cents and buy a sense of humor and relax..It will be down in a lil over a week and I will not even be a figment of your imagination..

@everyone else.. THANK YOU.. I appreciate your open mind and your comments supporting me and our freedom of speach. This is all gotton way out of hand, and is just insane to me personally that my stupid yard display is making more news then way more important stuff going on in the valley or in Niles.. But I still will not take it down,, I'm standing my ground.

53moneymoney(21 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

She's like the Rosa Parks of Halloween displays.

54ozzrr66(28 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Krista and household,

You rock. People are waaaay to sensitivo.....I had an upside-down cross with a devilhead mask in the front window a few years ago for Halloween and...........no complaints or bitching. (I live in the MetroParks Garden District) I have many religious friends and no complaints, just laughs. It was like WOW that is f-ing cool. I replaced every lightbulb in my house with red, orange, and blacklight bulbs. No kidding, our house looked creepy as hell from the passerby on the street. I am the only one on our street who decorates for holidays, and I'll probably pass out candy to 5+ kids, maybe. Have fun and decorate whatever you want. I'm a huge Nightmare Before Christmas fan and what if Oogie Boogie squashes an earwig....are the bug savers gonna complain...I hate earwigs, but I love bugs and spiders. I even recycle my Halloween decor and turn it into Christmas decor......... happy Oktober and have fun (f-off to those who can't have fun)

55Reader(126 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

oh look! Another article about the same thing! Maybe there is nothing going on in the valley!! All crimes have been solved, drugs are no loger being sold to kids, violence has ended and this is all the news we have!! How exciting!

@ alwaysHope
"Maybe your snowman will be offensive to overweight white men. LOL!"
Thanks for the morning comic break!

56T_F_1014(1 comment)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@ AlwaysHope "Maybe your snowman will be offensive to overweight white men. LOL!"
Thanks that is the funniest thing I have heard all day!!

57DOLE2(594 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Didn't 3 little girls die in a fire in that area just a few years back?The White Trash Award for 2010 goes to......

58DivaMommy(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@Sammy-

SAD that you would make such harsh accusations about someone you know nothing about. She put up a freakin display and you are going to take blows on her about Welfare?!?! How do you even know if she is on it or not? AND DON'T YA THINK ITS NOT YOUR BUSINESS? I mean really. I think you have closet emotions about yourself and are taking them out on someone else.

@Money

Do you really think that Niles has a bad property value? REALLY? Step into Warren (the bad parts) where there are vacant houses and KIDS RUNNING AROUND WITH JUST A DIAPER ON AND NO PARENT IN SIGHT. Then you can complain about the "property value". Get a napkin, you left a little BS on the side of your mouth that needs wiped off.

@Krista-

It is so sad that you have to go through this. If I were you, I would continue following thru with your freedom rights and not worry about anyone else or their "thoughts". If they don't want to look at it, they could just drive on by... the people that "care" so much are already knocing the town of Niles like its a warzone, so obviously they are going out of their way to even see your display. They must be unemployed with nothing better to do. Must be nice. I wonder if you put a cross outside at christmas time and had Jesus on it, if people would think that was "MORBID"... geez, you don't have to explain to anyone that you are a great parent, because I bet you do most of this FOR your kids WITH their help and they probably LOVE it.. and that is all that matters. I love seeing kids smile :) Hope all is well over that way... take care of yourself.

59Stav2k(12 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I applaud Krista. It's frickin' Halloween, it's supposed to be morbid! All you whiners need to get a life and let the woman celebrate the holiday any which way she feels like!

60KristaisTheBoss(12 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@ Divamommy and all my supporters I thank you from the bottom of my heart (and yes, I have one).. You guys keep me strong! As my screne name says, I am The Boss of my life and will not be bullied by close minded people, the city or anyone as a matter of fact. It will not come down until after Halloween!!

I still say that at first when this all started I was in shock that my stupid yard display for Halloween (which was the same as last year) made this much of a an unnecassary stink.. But I have now embrassed my 15 mins of fame (brought to the public and media by Tracy Greene, Without her most people would not know I even existed.) and I am going to take this all with a grain of salt and not let it ruin my family's holiday or our spirit..

If anyone would like to drop off thier unwanted dolls please do so in our crib that's out front. Alot of people have asked if they could donate to us and we are more then happy..Some are even curious to see what thier dolls will look like once we have them.. lol..

Happy Halloween from the Doll House of Horror!!!!!

61KristaisTheBoss(12 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Ohh..

I'm also gonna put a shameless plug for the Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield,OH that I volunteer at..
They have a haunted house (Haunted X) going on in the prison thru-out Halloween.. Come down and check it out and if I'm there that night maybe i'll even sign an autograph for you!! LOL.. I kill me.. hehe

Krista

62Steve(1 comment)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

to the fine folks that object to this halloween display, I say, don't attempt to legislate your morality! You're welcome to your personal beliefs, but don't cram them down someone else's throat. This is covered by the 1st amendment; I know I read that somewhere...................

63leftyompton4life(79 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

First off,rock on Krista!!!! Secondly,me and my friends are making the haul from Cleveland to Mansfield tonight to go to the reformitory...I hear its all what its cracked up to be...def looking forward to it.

64southsidedave(4777 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Goofy people in the world...if you don't like the halloween display, don't look at it. But at the same time, don't infringe upon the rights of others to enjoy!

65DOLE2(594 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Krista,you can have my old Barbie & Ken dolls....maybe you can make them into O.J. and his wife......

66starofesther(168 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

There is nothing good about Halloween is of witches ghosts goblins...Nothing Positive or Good about it...Some are blind to the truth of it..

67danikytn(246 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

so they get what they want, attention. Obviously just some Niles white trash, i bet next years will be even more ridiculous. If only they spent as much time on their personal appearances as they did their awful display. Yuck, i mean really, yuck

68raiders77(27 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@ starafesther

Keep drinking the Kool AID -

Halloween use to be FUN. Now because one or two people get a bug up their a$&
they mess it up for all the other people who enjoy it.

It's her property, the city should stay out of it. They have enough problems to deal with.

69angeleyes818(5 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

WOW, just wow. It goes from numerous people complaining about a Halloween display, to name throwing. She is exercising her freedom as well as those who aren't intelligent enough to write something other than insulting comments. I think people should become more aware of what is going on in their lives than what someone is putting outside. Plain and simple. She shouldn't have to abjure from her abstract work of art because because a woman wants it abrogated. Tracey Green must have enough money in her pocket or her hands deep enough in someone elses pockets in order to have Niles Zoning "working so frantically" to find an ordinance violation??? I've never seen them work that hard in my life. BTW I grew up in Niles, living elsewhere now, but you people talk about it like it is Cleveland where the gunshots are so frequent that when I lived there I had to tell my children they were fireworks!! I am so glad to live in a nice quiet town surrounded by woods now disassociated from all the complainers and long-nosed people who always seem to poke it where it doesn't belong. I can imagine that the very same people complaining about the display to the government, are the very same ones having their morning gossip groups over a cup of coffee complaining about how the government is taking our rights away one by one. Or how the grass in their neighbor's yard is 1/2 inch higher than it is supposed to be.

70DOLE2(594 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Halloween used to be for kids,but now these goofy adults get a little too involved.

71starofesther(168 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't do kool-aid except for cleaning metal and NO bugs anywhere...Encounters of the supernatural are either good or bad in this life in the natural man...I do not like "horror" Halloween seems innocent fun or entertainment but it is honestly bad when you bring in the ghost and goblins and witches...Happy Harvest For Me!

72hmm(179 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago