Williams targeted to be US auto czar

Published: Sun, October 10, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

photo

Youngstown Mayor Jay Williams

Youngstown mayor discusses position with the White House

BY David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Mayor Jay Williams confirms he’s been contacted by the White House about becoming the nation’s auto czar.

“At this point, I agreed to hear them out,” Williams told The Vindicator on Saturday.

When asked if he was considering the job, Williams declined to comment. But he added: “Perhaps I’ll have additional comments next week.”

Williams, a Democrat serving his second four-year term as mayor, has been a frequent visitor to the White House lobbying President Barack Obama’s administration for federal funding for the area and to share his thoughts on urban economic and quality-of-life issues.

Williams met Thursday with White House officials to discuss the vacant auto-czar position, officially called the director of recovery for auto communities and workers.

It is not known whether the White House is considering other candidates.

Ed Montgomery resigned from the position in June to be Georgetown University’s dean of public policy. Obama appointed Montgomery to the job in March 2009 to help the auto industry get back on its feet. The federal government loaned billions of dollars to General Motors and Chrysler to keep those two U.S. auto companies in business.

The auto czar’s responsibilities include providing stimulus funds and other federal money to assist displaced auto workers with job retraining and to communities that largely depend on the industry as a key component of their economy.

Williams was re-elected last year to his second term as Youngstown mayor. The city charter permits mayors to serve no more than two consecutive four-year terms.

If Williams is offered the federal job and takes it, the city charter calls for the president of city council to automatically fill the remainder of the mayor’s term. Charles Sammarone, a Democrat, is currently the president of council. Williams’ term expires Dec. 31, 2013.

Comments

1author50(1121 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Half way to April's Fools day, right?

2lee(544 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Great here is one more thing that he can't run, if he gets the job maybe we will have to watch out that we don't get shot by our cars

3Photoman(1000 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

The work of these many Czars seems to be unknown. Can someone please give me just a few examples of the fine deeds a few of them have done? And, by the way, can you tell me of their approximate pay ranges?

4southsidedave(4780 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

What exactly does the Auto Czar do anyway? Weel no matter, Jay will fit right in doing nothing as usual.

5misterlee(118 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Photoman, there's this thing called google where you can look thing up. Maybe you should try that instead of expecting other people to do everything for you. Why are conservatives so intellectually lazy?

6Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

The cars need to be made safer so that Youngstown's crackheads can navigate the streets without rolling over or impacting utility poles . Special sensors need to be computer controlled and detect actions leading to these crashes then sound a warning . The savings in health costs to the taxpayers would be substantial .

7UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Good - let Mayor Jay join Odumbo in DC. They will then both be out of a job in 2013 when the RepubliCANs reclaim the white house. Mayor Jay has done little to nothing for Youngstown. I'm sure he'll do the same for the auto industry too.

8Handala(38 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

More CASH for another CLUNKER!Hmm?

9candystriper(575 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Jay can take angry calls from members of Congress as more dealerships close.

Good for Jay!

101970mach1(1005 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow, some pretty nasty and rude comments.
If he takes the job, I wish him well. Hopefully it will be a way for him to bring fed $$$ back to Youngstown to tear down old buildings, which is what this city needs most.

11wineywoman(78 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

To all of you cynical idiots who have't got a clue as to how government works. Stop spitting venom from your foul mouths, and go learn something about the country you supposedly "love" so much. There is a process to be followed. There are laws that dictate what elected officials can and cannot do. Take your heads out of your collective asses and find out some facts before you complain. Then if you don't like what's going on, change it!!! If you think you can do a better job, run for office, any in-bred hillbilly can make it to the top, just look at the poster child for you jerks: good ole G.W. Bush! We all know how well that turned out!

12Youngstown_Strong(91 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

You people suck. Have you thought about how it can help having a Ytown rep at that post? How all the people at Lordstown can rest assured that their interests will be looked after? No, you all just sound bitter.

Sure the crime in Youngstown hasn't changed much but have you done anything to help besides complain on message boards?

It is a lot easier to complain than to actually do something that helps. Here's a challenge to all the keyboard warriors in Youngstown, shut up or step up.

With all the bitterness in Ytown, I can't blame the Mayor for taking this gig and getting out of town.

13Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

@ Youngstown NO they never had a thought in their head but hate for the black guy . That's all you get on this page

141970mach1(1005 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

I do think there is an undercurrent of racism against Mayor Williams on many threads here on Vindy.com. and I am a right/center white guy.

It is not uncommon for innuendo and jabs to be thrown at him about 'black crime' in the city as if he could just make it all go away if wanted to because he black. As though for some reason he just won't do it, but he could.

It is impossible for any politician to make crime go away here. The mayor is a good guy, he isn't a thug or a crook. Feeling frustrated at the way things are in the city? Me too. But calling him a "peanut head" or "affirmative action hire" is inappropriate.

Can any of you folks thrashing him do any better?

15Traveler(606 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

What makes car makers so special that they need there own czar? How about a steel czar while where at it to help the steel mills. If we do a steel czar lets do a appliance czar there making more and more tvs and refrigerators oversea we should help them out to.
We could chose to go a different route that has a chance to work like start putting tariffs on things

16theotherside(332 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

In my opinion, these so called czars are unconstitutional if they are making decisions without the consent of congress. Since when does the POTUS have the authority to circumvent the powers of congress to exercise checks and balances over the executive branch. It's the height of arrogance that Obama thinks he should hire "czars" to avoid those checks and balances. And not just Obama. Any POTUS. That's the real story here.

17Billybob21(96 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

You people are ridiculous. And I think alot of you are jealous. This huge for this valley and a great benefit for Lordstown and this area.So why don't all you nay sayers and computer warriors get in your foreign cars and get out this valley

18palbubba(664 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Well as usual the posts mostly miss the point. We have an unconstitutional appointment of an unqualified person to an unnecessary position. What could possibly go wrong?

19mjusino(15 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, yay, we get to play with our computers again! My... such animosity! So easy to be critical from where you sit, huh? You know exactly what's going on and what it takes to fix everything and yet you choose to withhold all this valluable information while the rest of us go bump in the night! Why DON'T you run for office if you think you can do a better job? "Undercurrent of racism"?? To say the least. Just pathetic, backward, and downright vicious.

20wineywoman(78 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

db2: In response to your idiotic assumptions; I am not, nor have I ever been on welfare. I am a college educated female with a masters' degree from Case Western. I don't know if I like Obama better or not he hasn't been in office long enough for me to have formed an opinion. Your beloved Bush, however had eight years to show us who he was, and boy did he ever!!! I suppose it's fine with you that we're sending our sons and daughters to die in Iraq and Afganistan when the people who attacked us on 9/11 were from Saudi Arabia. I know you're just tickled pink about how W and Cheyney used our tax dollars as their private piggy bank. I said it before and I'll say it again; DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! I think the issues you seem to have with both Jay and Barack are not based on any practial knowlege, but on your in-ability to tolerate a man of color in a position of authority. If you can do better, run for office. You made assumptions about me that were totally erroneous, why should I believe that your views on these men are justified? And by the way, I'm white, you twit!

21wineywoman(78 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

db2: In response to your idiotic assumptions; I am not, nor have I ever been on welfare. I am a college educated female with a masters' degree from Case Western. I don't know if I like Obama better or not he hasn't been in office long enough for me to have formed an opinion. Your beloved Bush, however had eight years to show us who he was, and boy did he ever!!! I suppose it's fine with you that we're sending our sons and daughters to die in Iraq and Afganistan when the people who attacked us on 9/11 were from Saudi Arabia. I know you're just tickled pink about how W and Cheyney used our tax dollars as their private piggy bank. I said it before and I'll say it again; DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! I think the issues you seem to have with both Jay and Barack are not based on any practial knowlege, but on your in-ability to tolerate a man of color in a position of authority. If you can do better, run for office. You made assumptions about me that were totally erroneous, why should I believe that your views on these men are justified? And by the way, I'm white.

22wineywoman(78 comments)posted 3 years, 10 months ago

One more thing db2, I'm sure I paid more in taxes than you made last year.