‘Compelling new evidence’ surfaces on Kent State shootings

Published: Sat, October 9, 2010 @ 12:09 a.m.

By kristine Gill

kgill@vindy.com

kent

Laurel Krause might learn more today about the May 4, 1970, Kent State University shootings that killed her sister Allison Krause and three other students — including Sandra Scheuer of Boardman.

A newly enhanced recording made 40 years ago features a call to fire and the sounds of a skirmish — and previously unheard gunfire from a .38-caliber pistol 70 seconds before the National Guard shot into the crowd of students. Filmmaker Michael Moore and the Kent State Truth Tribunal are in New York City today to webcast the testimony of dozens of witnesses and play the cleaned-up audio. The event from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and Sunday will be shown at www.michaelmoore.com. “This is compelling new evidence,” Krause said of the recording.

The [Cleveland] Plain Dealer asked Stuart Allen, president of the Legal Services Group in Plainfield, N.J., and Tom Owen, president of Owl Investigations in Colonia, N.J., to evaluate the recordings in May.

Allen said he spent more than 50 hours using high-tech software to enhance the smallest of sounds on a copy of a recording made by a student that day.

Allen said he was originally charged with finding evidence of rumored sniper fire before the shootings. He found none, but instead found the clear order to fire — and something else.

“I heard this event going on which caught my attention, and dealing with criminal matters, I’ve heard gunshots, bodies dropping — you don’t want to know what we’ve heard,” Allen said. “I flagged a spot on the tape.”

That spot has the sound of what Allen confirmed to be pistol fire and frantic witnesses.

“I had heard what appeared to be a chase. Someone called out, ‘He’s running! Get him!’ Then you hear the crowd swell up; then you hear the crowd come down. There are little conversations going on, then you’ll hear, ‘It looks like they got someone,’ from student observers.

“More crowd swelling, expletives, ‘Kill ’em, kill vem, kill vem,’ then the first gunshot — then ‘Whack ’em, hit the [expletive]. Three more gunshots, then it goes silent.”

The tussle and pistol shots, if authenticated, match some key details of a confrontation several witnesses reported seeing or hearing involving a pistol-waving Kent State student named Terry Norman, The Plain Dealer story said. Norman was photographing protesters that day for the FBI and carried a loaded .38-caliber Smith & Wesson Model 36 five-shot revolver in a holster under his coat for protection. Though he denied discharging his pistol, he previously has been accused of triggering the Guard shootings by firing to warn away angry demonstrators, which the soldiers mistook for sniper fire.

Seventy seconds later, Allen said you hear the call to fire, which lasted 13 seconds, killing four students and injuring nine.

The meaning of the skirmish before the guard firing is still under investigation, but some student witnesses have said they saw a man waving a pistol before the shootings that day. Some speculate it was his gunfire that prompted the guard to open fire on students, fearing guardsmen had been shot at by a sniper.

“In every legal proceeding ... every testimony included the line that there was not an order to shoot,” Krause said. “So this compelling new evidence is extremely intriguing and important to truth about Kent State.”

Krause, born in Cleveland and now of California, is co-founder of the Truth Tribunal, a group that has recorded the testimonials of more than 100 witnesses to the shootings. She hopes the group can preserve the memory of her sister Allison and the three other students. Krause doesn’t claim to be an expert on how the new evidence will be used, but hopes for some sort of response or apology from the government. “I’m not a lawyer and I’m not a politician, but I am Allison Krause’s sister, and it seems pretty clear to me that there’s some lying going on,” she said. “The ultimate goal for us is to have the government admit this was a significant event in our history handled in the worst way possible.”

Links to video testimonies can be found at www.truthtribunal.org.

Comments

1DOLE2(594 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Who really cares? 40 years ago people! Whats next the Zapruder tapes ?.....

2Education_Voter(842 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I guess the brothers, sisters, and friends of the dead and disabled students care, Dole.
Think about the tragedy this might be. A person working for the FBI to ensure safety, inadvertantly causes death and disillusionment by discharging his weapon.

3Sm_o_dee(13 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

DOLE2, you are an idiot.

4DOLE2(594 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

If 10 recordings surfaced,if news footage was discovered,etc. again So what? 40 years ago..........move on with your life

51970mach1(1005 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

It matters because this was a very traumatic event in our history, and the truth should be told.

I am not very sympathetic towards the protesters, they are just as responsible for the shootings as the Guardsman.

However, at least one of the people killed was a completely innocent bystander on her way to class. Her death is a horrible wrong.

If evidence comes out that someone was lying about the circumstances of 4 people getting killed, the truth should come out. (NOTE: I said "lying." There are certainly people who in the chaos who probably have different views of what happened, but it does not mean they are lying).

The govt. still prosecutes cases where white supremecists killed civil rights workers in the 50's and 60's because it is the right thing to do. Finding out the truth what happened at Kent St. is the right thing to do too, WHATEVER THE TRUTH MAY BE.

I am not convinced technology can do what is being claimed, but maybe it can. The tape of the motorcycle cop riding in the JFK motorcade has actually been shown to support a lone gunman, not a conspiracy theory as the conspiracy folks originally claimed.

And I bet you'd feel different if it was someone you cared about that was killed.

6pneumaticman(3 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I am 53 years old and in my lifetime I have felt that our government protects itself at all costs. I totally agree using this technology to find out what happened if that is possible.

I must say however that this is THE ONLY occassion that I might agree with Michael Moore on anything.

It is unfortunate for those who lost loved ones. If it had been my sister I would want to know what I could about the incident.