Repchic suspects indicted; police pledge protection

Published: Fri, October 8, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

photo

Kevin D. Agee Jr.

photo

Aubrey F. Toney, 29.

photo

Chief Jimmy Hughes.

photo

Prosecutor Paul Gains

RELATED: YSU launches database of Mahoning County properties

By John W. GOODWIN JR.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

As an indictment was filed against two suspects in the drive-by murder of Thomas Repchic and the wounding of his wife, police said they’re aware of threats against the mother of one of the suspects and are working to keep her and her family safe.

Stephanie Agee, 49, mother of 25-year-old murder suspect Kevin Agee, filed a report about the threats Monday with Youngstown police. She told police in the report she has been told that there is a “hit” out on her, and she has seen Internet threats about burning her house down.

Stephanie Agee also told police her house has what appears to be fresh bullet holes in the walls.

Kevin Agee is charged in the murder and wounding two weeks ago on the South Side. A Mahoning County grand jury Thursday returned an indictment against Agee and alleged accomplice 29-year-old Aubrey Toney of Youngstown on charges of aggravated murder, attempted murder and felonious assault with gun specifications.

Kevin Agee is in Mahoning County jail on a $3 million bond. Police are still hunting for Toney.

If convicted, both men face the death penalty.

County Prosecutor Paul Gains said Toney and Agee are facing the death penalty because they purposely killed or attempted to kill two or more people. If convicted of aggravated murder with specifications, Toney and Agee also could face prison sentences with possible parole after serving 25 years.

Capt. Rod Foley said the police department is aware of the threats made against Stephanie Agee and will address them. Foley would not say what course of action the department will take, but said a definite plan is in place.

“We have communicated with her and will put out extra patrols and that sort of thing to make sure everything works out for the best,” Foley said.

Stephanie Agee said she believes some of the threats stem from a mistaken belief by some people that she turned her son in to police. She said the accusations are absolutely false, and she had nothing to do with her son’s arrest or any information supplied to police.

Stephanie Agee and other family members, on the advice of attorneys, would not comment on the matter any further.

Foley said Stephanie Agee and other members of her family had nothing to do with the arrest of her son or any of his alleged crimes.

Repchic, 74, was gunned down around 1 p.m. Sept. 25 when he and his wife, also 74, were driving on Southern Boulevard near Philadelphia Avenue after having left St. Dominic Church.

Jacqueline Repchic was shot in her leg and taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center.

Police believe the shooting was a case of mistaken identity in a feud between two rival factions. Police say Toney and Agee saw the older-model burgundy Cadillac Thomas Repchic was driving and believed the car was that of the person with whom they had been feuding.

Police Chief Jimmy Hughes said officers have located the person Toney and Agee had been gunning for the day Repchic was killed.

“We have identified the car, and it does look identical to Mr. Repchic’s car,” the chief said.

According to Hughes, there may have been activity between Agee, Toney and the owner of the car that led to the mistaken identity, but no one associated with that vehicle is under arrest or facing any charges.

Gains expressed frustration over the recent violent crimes in the city, saying the Repchic murder and the recent murder of Vivian D. Martin, a real-estate agent here, were senseless crimes.

“I am angry about all of these crimes. These two crimes were just ridiculous. We have a generation of individuals who refuse to take responsibility for their actions or acknowledge that those consequences exist,” the prosecutor said.

The prosecutor also called on the community to come forward with any information concerning Toney’s whereabouts. He said anyone can call the police department or Crime Stoppers with information.

“He will eventually be apprehended and face justice. It is better that he turn himself in,” Gains said. “I love this community, and I hate to see what these random acts of violence have done to this community. If you engage in this criminal behavior, there are consequences for it.”

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

When you live by the subculture your chances of dying by the subculture are there . We don't have enough resources to police The Hood and protect everyone 24/7 . Yep, it's all cool until you are affected . The cleanup of The Hood starts with City Hall's desire to do so .

2UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Two more for the death house - how many more have to go that way before the so called black leaders step out of the shadows and do something to stop this madness amongst their race?

3ailierdroit(105 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Mark Brown, Todd Franko and all involved,

Just how much do you really care about the promotion of this area? A section on vindy.com entitled 'Youngstown Violence' !?!?!?! Thank you for being sooooo inviting to prospective commerce. Or did you wait until V&M and GM jobs were secured? What value is there for ANY resident of the Valley for you to dedicate local violence as a feature section on your website. You are both pathetic! Remove it !!!!!

4Chief178(57 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

28 years ago I joined the Navy and got out of the Southside, and it was bad back then. Now, it’s terrible. I was in Youngstown last month visiting family and when I drove down Southern boulevard and Market street you could see the lawless, hookers and other crack heads conducting business as usual. Get rid of that and you may start to bring order back to the area.

5Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

IT'S ALL GOOD !

Crime ? WHAT CRIME ?

6walter_sobchak(1857 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

"Stephanie Agee also told police her house has what appears to be fresh bullet holes in the walls"

If they are not bullet holes, what are they? How does one distinguish a "fresh" bullet hole from an "aged" bullet hole? With the new landlord fee in place, will Youngstown rental inspectors insist on bullet holes being repaired in a timely manner? This could be a tall task for the Sout-side.

7Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Bullet holes and bullet scars are a badge of honor in the hood where they are proudly displayed . If Stephanie Agee foud bullet holes repugnant she would have coverd them years ago .

Life starts with crack and ends with a bang .

IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE HOOD !

8lovedrama(138 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

why do people who proudly state they 'got out" of Youngstown continue to frequent the message boards here? does your current city lack of interesting news items? do you enjoy seeing our city go down as you triumphantly sit in your new one, making comments about how bad it is here? is that moving on?

9Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

lovedrama :
"why do people who proudly state they 'got out" of Youngstown continue to frequent the message boards here?"

I believe that their interest lies in pushing for a change to make life better for those left behind .

10redvert(2048 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Well stated Gator!

11lovedrama(138 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I apologize. Since the murder in this article and murder of real estate agent I have been nervous, irritable and defensive. I live in Youngstown, and feel helpless and frustrated. I have even been brain-storming ideas of starting a militia of residents who are sick and tired of this. Just going into the streets-shooting the troublemakers and taking control again. My son works in the social services field and tells me of the abuse, neglect and drug problems that are destroying children's lives. I worry for my grandkids. I want to be SAFE, not scared.

12Traveler(606 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I have to live near Youngstown because of work they want a youngstown mail address. Thank god for liberty township or i would have quit years ago and moved.

13L0L(640 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

For a second there I assumed that Stephanie was concerned for her safety from people mad at her for what her son did. Then I read on. Her actual concern is that she is afraid of the gangbangers thinking that she turned her p.o.s. son in!!!! Yes, stephanie, that is the right attitude to have. Dont be ashamed of your son's decisons, dont be ashamed at your lack of raising a respectable man, dont be ashamed you have so many bullet holes in your house that you have to distinguish "fresh ones" and are too lazty to have fixed the "old ones". Be afraid that people might think that you did the right thing and turned in your waste of space, p.o.s., doesnt deserve to breathe the same air I do son.

14KingGator(10 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

My condolences the families whose family members were killed.

15Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

After this all blows over the Agee crack enterprise will be in full swing again . In The Hood all sources of money are viewed as good . You go Stephanie and don't let the critics slow you up one bit . With the reward money you will be able to bankroll your next venture .

16woolyd(579 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

STAN in this corrupt society we live in all sources of money is viewed as good not just in the hood. We are constantly charged fees for everything, police lie and sometimes write tickets just to get revenue for their city as does the court. Hell even at a Scrappers game you have to pay 2.50 to walk across the parking lot to get into the game after you already paid for the ticket. Bottomline is when it comes to money its all good in how you get it. Sad to say but proven true always

17Sad_News_Abounds(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

lovedrama-

After I read your apology, I felt better about you. Often, out of town readers (such as myself) get angry at the same things current Y-towners do but when we state our opinion, we get berated. See, we want Y-town to improve and have always wanted it even when we lived there. Of course, some posters who don't live there aren't as nice and slam the people instead of the problems. (I know, sometimes the people ARE the problem, I get that.) But overall, it's the people themselves who keep us out-of-towners coming back to websites like vindy.com or wfmj.com etc. We have friends or family still living there and yes, we ARE concerned about whats happening to our old neighborhoods and the people living in them.

This news story is case in point. It sickens me that these degenerates who shot the Repchics did so. I don't know anyone involved but it doesn't stop me from being as outraged as (I hope) you are. I wish there was more I could do, but then again, I couldn't do much when I lived there. I lost all my money and my house and too numerous jobs to count, so I had to leave like so many before me (and after me). Y-town is dying and I'm sorry about that but I don't wish it so!

I too, come "home" on occasion, 3 weeks 'til my next trip actually. I've made a list of the things I plan to do when I'm there, much like vacationers do when out of town. Because, I made Y-town my vacation destination this time.