Recovery begins for teen victim of beating

Published: Fri, October 8, 2010 @ 12:08 a.m.

By Elise Franco

efranco@vindy.com

Austintown

The victim of a Sept. 27 beating is in the beginning stages of recovery after brain surgery.

The 15-year-old Austintown teen has been in the hospital since the day of the attack, when he was hit in the head with a baseball bat.

Derek Etto, 16, of South Edgehill Avenue, was charged Sept. 30 with felonious assault and is in the Mahoning County Juvenile Justice Center, said Austintown Detective Sgt. Ray Holmes.

The assault occurred about 3:30 p.m. after the victim and about 10 other teens showed up at Etto’s home, according to a police report. Etto told police immediately following the incident that he and the victim had previously exchanged words, and the victim made threats to harm him.

He told police the victim punched him in the head and pulled out a knife, but Holmes said no knife was found, and none of the witnesses saw one.

At that point someone threw Etto the baseball bat and the victim was hit twice in the head, according to the report.

Holmes said the investigation continues.

The victim, whose name hasn’t been released by police, underwent surgery on his brain Wednesday in St. Elizabeth Health Center, Youngstown, Holmes said.

He said he spoke with the teen’s mother Thursday, who said her son was doing OK following the surgery.

“He’s in some pain,” Holmes said. “He’ll be transferred to the Cleveland Clinic [today] . ... He’s conscious.”

During the boy’s first few days in the hospital he was unresponsive, Holmes said. He said he’s fielded several calls from concerned parents asking why Etto was allowed in school following the beating.

Vince Colaluca, Austintown superintendent, responded to the incident Thursday.

“We had no jurisdiction over it,” he said. “It didn’t happen at school, and it didn’t even spill over into school.”

Colaluca said counselors were made available to students close with the victim or Etto.

“We have already done some things with their friends and brought in counselors to head off any anger or retaliation,” he said.

Comments

1tess59(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Out of 10 teenager not one of their parents was aware that their child was gang bullying that day???
Everyone one of those kids that showed up at that injured boys house is not only a coward but should be punished as well.
What kind of 15 yr old bashes another in the head with a baseball bat while others are watching, that is brutality at its worst.

2Stormieangel(136 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

The victim went looking for a fight. If the other 10 were his friends, you can bet no one will ever admit he had a knife and instigated the whole thing. Who handed the kid the bat? Was it one of the 10 that wanted to see a good fight, see blood running? The victim might not have deserved what he got but what was he going to do to the one that is guilty of 'defending' himself? It was asked what kind of kid bashes another in the head with a baseball bat while others watch. Maybe it is a kid that sees the odds against him...like 11 to 1..and does what he thinks he has to do. Someone tosses a baseball bat to him and out of fear for his own life, he defends himself with it. I wasn't there but this reads like the kid defended himself against a leader of 10 others. I would want my kid to do the same thing....defend himself rather than take a beating himself. Maybe, just maybe, the 'victim' isn't the only 'victim' in this situation. Maybe Etto was the FIRST victim.

3Reader(126 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Tessa, the boy who is hurt is the leader of the gang of bullies that day. He was the one who showed up with 10 friends to attack another boy.The injured boy even bragged along the way that he was going to someones house to beat them up. He got the bad end of the fight that he went looking for. It is sad all the way around and I pray he recovers.

4AtownParent(561 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I still blame the parents. Absent parents letting their kids run the neighborhood doing god knows what to god knows who. And even if the parents aren't absent physically, the apparently are when it comes to discipline and actual parenting.

5steelwagon(284 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Boy how times have changed from when I was in high school in the 70s'.
Used to be when you had a beef with another guy you met up after school,threw a few fists and that was it.

More often than not you ended up being buddies after the fight and if you couldn't be friends you at least left each other alone.

What I don't understand is why the Etto kid is locked up.
Sounds to me like the so called victim went to Etto's home with 10 of his buddies looking for a fight.

If Etto was at home minding his own business they had no right going there to start the fight in the first place.
11 against 1 isn't a very fair fight.

I don't know the boys or what started all this but it sounds like Etto was defending himself.
All I can say is if 11 trouble makers show up on my doorstep wanting to hurt me I'd start shooting.

I do hope the 15 year old fully recovers but shouldn't he and his pals be charged as well ?
I miss the 70s'!!!

6temp(6 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Wait, whos the victim?
I thought if someone came to my /A home to do harm to me , that i was to defend myself so I didnt become the victim. perhaps this is a new concept. seems to me with a ratio of 10 to 1 that more then one is lucky they didnt recieve the same treatment, i guess nobody wanted to be a bully after the first one got the bat. I don' t know etto, i dont know all the facts im sure, but from what ive read so far etto did the best he could do at that time to survive an assault from others at his own home. I sure hope this is a lesson to others that decide to go to someones home to pick a fight. it's terrible tragety for both parents
Anyhow, if someone and 10 others showed up at my house, a bat isn't what they would have to worry about.....so whos the victim again? i'm still trying to make heads or tails of this concept !

7quitehispanicgirl(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

since someone who is violent couldnt be a lair im glad were basing our thoughts on wot a sub human who hit someone else in the head with a bat says...there was no knife this i am positive of, that said...boys have always fought lets be real but to use a bat is criminal at its best n shows pure evil at its worst...the victim if anyone needs clarification is the boy fighting for his life memory n fuctions...as i read these comments i see why our children are doing these things...its saddens n scares me... n to see adults cheering this senseless act of violence sickens me.. people are commenting on something they really dont know wot happened...better to be quite n thought a fool than to speak n have it proven....to Boo n his Mom my daughters n i are praying for you n thinking of you if you need anything please know you have a friend n support system in us, may God gentally cradle you in the palm of His hand.

8theoldwrench(234 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

hispicgirl how can you be possitive unless you were there you can tell his side why he went with 10 others to that house there should be arests of all involvd

9Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

girl

"..as i read these comments i see why our children are doing these things.."

And why are they doing these things then?? Because people comment to defend yourself? What if he had a gun as seems to be the normal thing in this day and age.
And 15 year olds are not considered "children".

If 10 people came to your front door looking to fight, what would you have done?

10walter_sobchak(1847 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

A lot of holes in this story. However, if 10 boys show up to watch a fight and 5 of them would do him harm, I think a bat would be a good equalizer. It seems to me the "victim", knowing the other boy had a bat, would have used some sense and backed off. But, hey, he went looking to pick a fight but the fight got the better of him. Hopefully, he has learned a valuable lesson and will recover without any lasting injury. In any event, both boys names should be out there!

11AFgrad(11 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Quite amazing. 11 go looking for a fight. They find more than they could handle. The leader gets pounded with a baseball bat and ends up in the hospital. Not the outcome that he thought was going to happen. Although I hope the boy comes out of this with nothing more than a good beating and also the experience that this type of behavior just might get you killed, he asked for it. Not the beating with the bat but the fight. Hopefully he will learn from his mistake. Also, I see this trend in schools today. Don't try to investigate a problem. If a fight is started by a student but the staff only sees the other student defending...the student defending himself get's in trouble. We have a bad trend developing where your not permitted to defend yourself, your family or your property. Your just supposed to allow thugs to run over you and hope the police do something about it other than just right a report.

12AFgrad(11 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Typing faster than thinking. Just a correction to my last post. Police should write a report not right a report.

13lastsamurai(4 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

what kind of 15 year old bashes someone with a bat someone asked? well....let us outnumber you 10-1 with "beating your ass" on our minds and you will do the same thing....i have been in this situation for nothing more than the fact that i owned a foriegn car....the 7 "supermen" who tried to accost me soon saw their capes "disappear" when i drew my 10mm browning....so i have no sympathy for someone who took 10 people to try to beat 1 person's ass and ended up with the ass-whipping himself....

14quitehispanicgirl(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

thats real intelligent oldwretch to say hi spic girl.... gosh your funny huh? and they say racism is dead? as i said best to be quiet n thought a fool than to speak n let it be known : )