‘Patriot:’ Be careful who you tag

Published: Fri, November 26, 2010 @ 12:00 a.m.

‘Patriot:’ Be careful who you tag

The following unsigned hand written envelope was placed on the windshield of my wife’s Mitsubishi at the Liberty Giant Eagle.

“How dare you place an American flag and a Support our Troops sticker (magnetic ribbons) on a vehicle made by the company that made engines and planes that were used to bomb AMERICAN (real Americans) men and women at Pearl Harbor SHAMEFUL AND DISGUSTING!”

To that anonymous “patriot,” I reply:

1. Some time ago I watched a documentary on the USS Arizona Memorial about the meeting of American survivors and Japanese pilots who survived, and they shared genuine comradeship as old warriors who survived a battle.

2. I bought those magnetic ribbons from my wife’s VFW Ladies Auxiliary a few years ago and I am responsible for their placement. They were originally on a Chrysler.

3. I am a Life member of the VFW & DAV as I am a Disabled Vietnam Veteran who flies the U.S. flag 24/365. I am also retired from the U.S. Navy with over 20 years of active service.

If you don’t like how I display the flag I fought for, come tell me to my face.

William Bolash, Liberty

Comments

11Marine(29 comments)posted 4 years ago

I completely agree with Mr. Bolash. I am a retired Marine of 23 years active duty and own four Hondas. I am a member of the American Legion and other organizations and proudly place MY flag on my cars. Soon there will be no reason to object to the flag being placed on "foreign" cars because the Chinese will soon be the majority owners of General Motors. In closing; I served my country for 23 years and will place MY flag on any car I wish...

2Thinker(15 comments)posted 4 years ago

Some people have no consciences, I guess. You guys go ahead and put those stickers on your Jap junks, and make any excuses you want about who owns GM to justify it...just don't expect me to let you out of some drive on a traffic-packed street. You can sit there until another Honda owner lets you out.

3Silence_Dogood(1388 comments)posted 4 years ago

Shallow Thinker do me a favor and look up this years top ten selling hybrids. One thing you will note is that there is not one single peice of crap GM product on that list. Another thing you will note is that over half of those top sellers are Japanese.So you can act like a little child all you want, the discerning shopper that looks for quality will not be looking in the direction of Government Motors any time in the near future, but instead will be looking twords Ford or as you stated Jap junk. I quess in your UAW programmed little mind quality can only come from American workers.
One last thing, I cant help but note that you did not mention any Military service, so it would not be a shock to me that you are totally CLUELESS about our STRONG ties Militarily with Japan.
I am sorry if this response has kept you waiting very long, but you can go on your way now. Have fun shopping at WAL-MART, I understand that they have some really good CHINESE JUNK for sale there today.

4rocky14(733 comments)posted 4 years ago

I spent 4 years in the military during the Vietnam War and i wouldn't think of buying a thing from there.
Yea---keep on buying those foreign cars.Then you wonder where all the jobs are going.This is why your children and grandchildren will have a hard time getting a job.
Keep my American flag off your Jap car!

5Thinker(15 comments)posted 4 years ago

My Dear "Dogs h i t:" Firstly, I don't shop at Wallyworld. Secondly, the only thing Jap cars landing on that list proves is that there are a LOT of people like you out there, who somehow correlate America's ties with Japan with how we should shop for cars.

So I didn't mention military service, so what? What is THAT supposed to mean? Gee, I thought serving your country was a personal choice! Why do some of you want to get up on your rooftops and scream to all that you have served? Again, it's your conscience speaking, trying to justify to all why you buy foreign cars.

Listen, my personal experience with G.M. cars has been very good. No major problems for many, many years, with many, many vehicles. Sorry about yours.

As for military ties with Japan, don't forget that the U.S. has ties with EVERY country it's fought wars with: Germany, Japan, Korea, Iraq, and soon, Korea again.

6Silence_Dogood(1388 comments)posted 4 years ago

A list for all you IDIOTS out there that feel they should not buy any products that come from Countries that we have been at war with.

ENGLAND

AFGHANISTAN

IRAQ

IRAN

BOSNIA

SERBIA

SOMALIA

and if you would like we can add all the countries that were alligned with the "warsaw pact" during the cold war, but then that would tripple the size of this list and then we would not have any countries left to trade with.

7Silence_Dogood(1388 comments)posted 4 years ago

Rocky how would you feel if I had made the comment..

KEEP MY AMERICAN FLAG OFF YOUR DAGO GUINEA crap.

Heck after all we fought TWO wars with the Italians didnt we.

8rocky14(733 comments)posted 4 years ago

I would just consider the source.

91Marine(29 comments)posted 4 years ago

I never hear anyone complain about American's driving VWs, BMWs or Mercedes because they are made by European countries and not the dreaded Asians. I am appalled that owners of local car dealerships (Fred Martin and Bob Eddy to name two) drive foreign cars; how un-American! Thinker - serving my country for 23 years and PROTECTING you was a privilege!! You are welcome.....