Traficanti calls CSB raises ‘unconscionable’

Published: Fri, November 19, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

photo

Mahoning County Commissioner Anthony Traficanti

photo

Dave Ludt

By Peter H. Milliken

milliken@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

“Unconscionable” was the word the leader of the Mahoning County commissioners used twice to describe proposed 3 percent annual pay raises for 115 union workers at the county Children Services Board.

“It’s unconscionable, and we are going to bring the [Children Services] Board before the commissioners and have them explain this,” Anthony T. Traficanti, commissioners’ chairman, said at their Thursday meeting.

Although CSB approved them Tuesday, the pay increases can’t be granted unless the commissioners approve them.

The raises were contained in a three-year contract CSB negotiated with the Communications Workers of America, which took effect Feb. 1, 2009.

The increases were never granted because the county commissioners approved the contract, but with a salary freeze. The union, which represents clerical and group-home workers and social workers at the child-welfare agency, recently asked that the raises be revisited. The social workers are paid about $32,000 yearly.

CSB approved the raise two weeks after voters renewed a countywide, 0.85-mill, five-year CSB real-estate tax levy, which generates $1.75 million annually.

“We feel everybody’s worth a raise here in the county, but it’s unconscionable at this day and time in this community, with people losing their homes and losing their jobs, the highest foreclosure rate, the highest unemployment rate,” Traficanti said.

“I’ve been inundated with calls here and at my home. We passed a levy, and now, you’re giving them a raise,” said Commissioner David N. Ludt.

“I’m for putting a [wage] freeze on,” Ludt said. At the budget hearing, CSB can “explain how they got to that position where they’re going to give raises when the economy is what it is and the people just passed a levy. I don’t think it’s fair, and it doesn’t look right,” Ludt added.

Traficanti commended Children Services Board Member Victoria Wiery, who cast the sole vote against the increases at Tuesday’s CSB meeting and attended Thursday’s commissioners’ meeting.

Denise Stewart, CSB executive director, said she would attend a budget hearing with the commissioners, but she didn’t directly respond to the commissioners’ comments.

“This is a matter that will be dealt with by the board, and I will be consulting with the board members about what our next step is going to be,” Stewart said.

In other business, with Commissioner John A. McNally IV absent, Commissioners Traficanti and Ludt adopted a resolution urging the Ohio Senate to approve House Bill 70, known as “Nitro’s Law,” which the Ohio House approved 59-38.

The proposed law would make available to prosecutors a fifth-degree felony charge for cruelty to cats or dogs. Currently, only misdemeanor charges are available to prosecutors for these offenses. “They’re putting some teeth behind the law,” Traficanti said.

The bill is named after Nitro, one of the dogs that died in 2008 at the High Caliber Canine Kennel in Youngstown, whose former owner, Steven Croley, was fined $1,000 and jailed for four months after his conviction on four misdemeanor animal cruelty counts.

A civil lawsuit against him by Nitro’s owners, which was set for trial in September, is stayed because Croley filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

The county engineer’s office announced the receipt of $2.72 million in federal highway money for the $3.4 million replacement in 2013 of the Division Street Bridge over the Mahoning River; and the commissioners approved the county’s $340,000 contribution toward the local match. The city will contribute the other $340,000 of the local match.

The narrow, two-lane, 200-foot-long, 1930s-vintage bridge connects V&M Star Steel with the Ohio Works Industrial Park.

Comments

1davidjohn(144 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

did traficanti yell unconscionable

when gains asked for a 60% increase

did he yell it twice

no did he yell it even once

he was silent

did he yell when gains wants to hire a columbus law firm for $50,000

sounds unconscionable

he was silent

why

because he grabs the spotlight

when it serves his interests first

above the publc

2timOthy(802 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

How come No ONE is asking for these SERVANTS to take a 30% cut across the board? And that includes the Commissioners too !!!

3UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I hope the commissioners follow through and grant no raises. The time has come for cuts, not increases to the pay and benefits including the obscene pensions for public employees in this bad economy just like what has happened to the private employees. I haven't voted for any levy in many years and this CSB raise result is why.

4MSme3(7 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I can only hope that the people on here get some facts about the CSB raises. First, CSB's fund is completely separate from the rest of the county, so why the commissioners control it is beyond me, they are not a part of the general fund. Their funding comes from the levy (real estate taxes), and the other 50 percent comes from the state and federal government. These raises were granted 3 years ago and money has been sitting in the bank doing nothing since. Giving CSB workers raises or not is not going to get more sheriffs hired, their money has nothing to do with each other. As far as the levy goes, voters were not duped because the money has been put away, and even if it wasn't 3% of the average $32,000 salary for 115 employees would be roughly $110,000 per year. The levy raises 1.75 million per year so basically over 99 percent of that levy money goes directly where voters wanted it to go. To the children. And CSB's levy has always been relatively small 0.85 mills unlike some other county agencies and schools. Why was there no uproar when other community agencies were given raises? Why is CSB the target, SPINDY? Taxpayers rest assure, there is at least one local agency being very responsible with your money, and now they are being punished for it. And I hope all having negative opinions on this matter are homeowners who are the only ones whose pockets hit with the levy, and the cost of giving these hardworking people a raise, I'm sure is less than a dollar. As far as the workers who average about a 50 hour week, but are paid no overtime, and cannot flex their time as they are directed to due to high work volume, they basically just take those other 10 hours in the rear. These people are committed to the kids and every day go to crackhouses begging parents to get treatment for their kids, take parents looking for jobs (if they are even motivated to do so), take them to counseling, all to try to make things better for the kids. They are exposed to very dangerous situations every day. Why don't some of you with these harsh opinions go put an application in at CSB?

5author50(1121 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Ludt is bye-bye in a month. Then it will be Carol and Indicted Johns turn to run the show. Rumors have it that CSB will be GIVEN the raises and a lot of Traficanti's and Ludt's people will be following David Ludt out of office to be replaced by Carols and Johns friends.

6Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Vindictor, what does your paper have against CSB? I dont recall Multiple front page headlines when MRRD and the Sanitary Engineers were approved raises within the past year. Did Traficanti feel those raises were "unconscionable?". I guess not. I am a home owner and pay property taxes. The amount that goes to Csb is minimal. People and the commissioners need to understand that Csb is not on the general levy, they have their own separate levy and budget. Csb does not mismanage their funds. In fact, they have not replaced two higher paid executives and plan not to. That sounds very responsible to me. Csb has made cuts. These workers deserve to be honored with the raises that were approved 2-3 yrs ago. The caseworkers are very hardworking people who deserve this minimal raise. They place themselves in very dangerous situations day and night protecting children. I just do not understand why this issue has made headlines on the front page three times in a short time while when other raises approved by the commissioners were very short articles inside the paper.

7valleyop(14 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Belinky and Moffie giving us their enlightened opinions again.

Judge is the reason you post that you know you are already gone and it doesn't matter that you are violating the rules?

How's the FBI/DOJ/OSC investigation going? You and the crack chief investigator got your stories straight? (Pathetic that the Vindy has not done a story on this and the investigation has been going on for almost 2 years now.)

Sammy, thank you for pointing out the obvious, Carol won and she and John will control the board.

Betras has promised you many things that even when they (John and Carol) are in control you still won't get. Why would you believe that liar?

8TAXEDOFF(118 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Traficanti . is right, these CSB workers truly feel they are the elite and the taxpayers are the peasants they are out of touch with reality. They should be taking a freeze or pay cuts and the fact that they FOOLED the voters to pass the levy. only shows what a well-crafted media campaign can do

9palbubba(688 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

As a payer of this levy who is going on my second year in a row without a raise, I object to anyone payed with taxpayer money getting a raise. I.m on Social Security which I worked many years for and I'm not seeing any raise, what makes these folks more worthy than me? I have vowed to vote against every levy and tax issue until government starts making actual cuts to spending. If everyone would do the same the elected servants would get the message.

10Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

People....Csb has taken huge cuts on their budget! They have not replaced two higher paid supervisors and do not intend to. Csb workers have been on a pay freeze for three yrs. Why did MRDD and the sanitary engineers get raises and that was not criticized???? I am a taxpayer and support Csb!

111970mach1(1005 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Traficanti is right about raises being unconscionable and I am also glad that they are supporting Nitro's law to help dogs.

12Cowboyfan(105 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I voted heck NO to all levy's. BUT the people voted yes. The money is for the children not the workers. All advertisements said for the children. SO NO RAISES.

13Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

14PhilMcCrackin(58 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

This is hilarious. No wonder Traficant got so many votes.

15oldtrackman(2 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Wakeup722 says:

"Traficanti? Is it "inconscionable" that you drive a CADILLAC ESCALADE? Must be nice to drive in such luxury!"

Traficanti would have trouble fitting into something much smaller!

16grand4dad(205 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I voted for this levy and I still support CSB. These raises are not so objectionable to me. I believe these workers need to be well paid. As others have pointed out, why is this worse than raises for MRDD and sanitary engineers?? What I am really offended by is raises such as YSU. Most of the ACE workers there got huge raises not to mention enrollment bonuses and other perks. That is taxpayer money too and it is not being managed well. The people who are responsible for negotiating that last contract should all be fired for being fiscally irresponsible with taxpayer money. That is much more unconscionable to me than these raises at CSB.

17Tony1(53 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

@wakeup 722,who cares what he drives,you are not making the payments.Typical sour grapes,the article is about raises,and you attack a man for his vehicle.

18Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Tony1..maybe I needed to clarify more about Traficanti driving a cadillac ON TAXPAYERS MONEY! I can bet that Csb workers can not afford to drive a Cadillac because of
Their low paying jobs. Sorry if I hit a nerve with you. Oops!

19meatballfromboardman(5 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

To Wakeup722
First of all TAXPAYERS DONT PAY FOR HIS CADILLAC CHECK YOUR FACTS FIRST. SECOND of all I'm glad he stood up for MAHONING COUNTY TAXPAYERS. THIRD OF ALL thing will change the first of the year THE CARFO"S and their FRIENDS will do business as usual. I'm proud of COMMISSIONER ANTHONY TRAFICANTI FOR STANDING UP FOT THE TAX PAYERS OF MAHONING COUNTY.

20Tony1(53 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

@wakeup722,you didn't hit a nerve.People like you should get all of their facts,before making false statements.It shows thatyou react,before thinking.

21Stormieangel(136 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Let's face it, folks. It is not a good time for ANY public employees to get raises and I don't care what department/services they work in. I am a single woman who cannot afford to pay more taxes on my $700 monthly income. If someone can tell me how I can pull more money out of somewhere, I surely wish they would enlighten me. My social security is not going up and out of that $700, I have to pay $250 for hospitalization and drugs. I can't change companies because I have had cancer and will hear "existing conditions". So please, someone, have little acompassion on those of us who truly are in the poverty level and struggling to hang on to our homes.

22MSme3(7 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I took wakeup722's comment about the escalade to be more sarcastic and humorous than factual. And it seems like the only people on here who are speaking without knowing the facts are those attacking the csb workers and their raises.

23meatballfromboardman(5 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if some of the comments made on behalf of CSB workers are county empolyees who dont have anything better to with there time. Let's see whats happens when the new GOV takes office in JANUARY.and makes you work for your money. Because you say you get state money . I know there's going to be alot of unhappy people out there.

24ysugrad91(2 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I worked for Mahoning County CSB for 8 years. I left the agency a few years ago. I can tell you firsthand that these caseworkers are very hard working people who care about children and the Mahoning County. I have the upmost respect for CSB workers. They are very under paid for what is expected from them. I had missed many family dinners, birthdays, my children's sporting events because I had to handle an emergency on one of my cases. Don't get me wrong, I did love my job and I treated my clients and their children with the upmost respect. I loved and took care of the children in CSB's custody like they were my own. In fact, I like most other caseworkers, put my health and family on the back burner to make sure that the children of Mahoning County were taken care of and protected. Caseworkers face many dangerous situations everyday. You never know what you are getting into and you are most often alone to deal with whatever is tossed at you. Caseworkers have to transport juveniles with criminal records alone (armed robbery, assault, rape).The public rarely hears what good things CSB does for the community. CSB operates on its own budget and levy. These raises were approved a few years ago. The raises should be honored. (By the way I do not benefit from these raises). CSB has been very responsible with their funds. Two Chief Supervisors retired recently and they are not to be replaced. I do not understand why MRDD and the Sanitary Engineers were not on front page and not criticized when they received raises this past year. I know that there are alot of good people in the Mahoning Valley that support CSB and the raises and I am one of them. The levy that was passed was a renewal, not a new one. No change to your property taxes at all. If some of these people whom have written on this post just experience one day of a life of a caseworker, they would feel alot differently.

25Cowboyfan(105 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

ysugrad91 I would love to expierence having a job instead of my measly 300 in unemployment. I took a 65% pay cut when I was laid off and soon it may be a 100% cut when benefits run out. So don't whine to me. There may have not be a change in my property taxes but whose going to buy my underwater house with $2000 taxes.

26ysugrad91(2 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Cowboyfan....I don't believe that I was whining to you. My husband was also laid off for one year and we suffered. He is now working two jobs just to get by so that he doesnt have to be on unemployment. If you would love to experience having a job, then apply at CSB.

27ytowner2010(7 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

How exactly to you think money can be spent "for the kids" without the staff to deliver the services? CSB staff exist "for the kids." They have dedicated their careers (and a lot of their personal time, energy and soul) in the service of children and families. Without CSB staff, who protects the abused child? Who reunites a previously fractured family? Who gives abandoned children hope and permanency? And frankly, most of the revenue CSB gets is from the state and federal programs that reimburse for services delivered; if no staff, no services, no revenue to do just that. CSB has implemented many changes in response to difficult economic times. As other posters have indicated, two of four chief supervisor positions have been eliminated. Additional austerity measures have included previous union agreements to pay freezes, structural changes in the agency, innovative programs being used to save money and deliver a better service, and a 2011 budget (even with the COLA) that is less than 2010. Mahoning County CSB workers earn less than other child welfare workers in the state and less than other county employees. They are being asked to do more with less and should be supported in doing that. Finally, the Board signed a collective bargaining agreement with the Union that union members are now asking the Board to honor. It is only right to do so.

28coupie(21 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I am a social worker. The following is an expression of my views alone and not of the Agency as a whole. I have a very difficult job to do and I embrace it because there are very few who can do what we do. There have been people come into the job, stay a few months, and run out the door quicker than you can imagine, but many of us stay. We stay and put up with unmanageable working conditions in a system that is impossible to please everyone. I have been from every project in Youngstown, to the country of Sebring, to good ol Boardman, Austintown, Poland, and Canfield (yes they have child welfare issues too). I spend every working day non stop, on the phone, running from here to there, NON-STOP. I have been chased by dogs, had a knife pulled on me by a schizophrenic in a manic state, and have witnessed more than I wish I could forget. Oh yeah, and every waking contact or phone call I have has to be entered into a computer (who has time for that?) Why do I do this? Because if I don't, who will? I know most people don't understand all the ins and outs of our job. But there are positives. There are the families who overcome their issues and do better by their children. There are those who truly benefit from our involvement. And without qualified workers you will see how much these children and families suffer. My days rarely end at 4:30 as scheduled, heck half the kids don't get home from school until then. I'm not even asking to be paid for all the hours I already DON'T get paid for. What was I doing last Thanksgiving evening? Leaving my own children behind to go place an infant who was left home alone (again no overtime for that). No taxpayer was fooled here. Your money goes directly to what you thought it went for. CSB has made massive cuts, the RIGHT cuts in order to have more staff and provide a cost of living raise to keep qualified staff. There was no new tax, your tax bill has not changed one red cent from last year to now. Without valuing public employees, you think things are bad now? We'll see..

29mom2boys(11 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Folks, come on, those of you thumbing your nose at CSB workers, who are overworked in probably the most stressful job possible, at risk of their lives on many occasions, dare question honoring raises previously promised?? You know what? I'm sick & tired of hearing "the economy, the economy, the economy" Government needs to protect the safety of the citizens. That means police & fire protection, CSB workers, and good schools with good teachers. How do you expect your house, your family, and your kids to be served and protected??? For crying out loud, the economy is the reason to make public jobs more welcoming - God knows the work is thankless, and undervalued. Those of you with your cushy jobs & private businesses that can afford to ignore the problems of unemployment & poverty and send your kids to private school, and pay taxes on a home in a city or town with little crime, God bless you, but for God's sake, don't criticize those who do the most noble of work, to be treated with the most little regard.

30mom2boys(11 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

(even when we aren't able to feed our families). It is time for these overfed hogs to join the real work and get major pay & benefit cuts.

Really, db2, really???? By your ability to spell and write gramatically correct sentences, I would venture to say you're educated. I would further venture to say that with your writing skills, you are well employed (or have been and are enjoying a good retirement), so my observations on this account lead me to the inference that you are very likely NOT having trouble feeding your children. There are plenty of less capable and less intelligent people out there who hold good jobs, perhaps it is your poor attitude that has you without one if you are unemployed.

31faith(200 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I worked as a CASA for a couple of years and got to know some of the CSB workers. They are over worked and under payed. I did vote for the tax and I do support the raise.

32jussy76(6 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I really feel bad that the economy is terrible, and people are losing their jobs and on unemployment. But can we not forget that these social workers all have at least a bachelor's degree, if not a master's degree and aren't paid accordingly? Aren't we taught to go to school, further your education so you have better opportunities? Not all, but many people on unemployment do not have the same educational background to fall back on, but expect the same benefits as those who did go to school???

33Traveler(606 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

We need to compare what their making to what CSB workers in other areas make if they are making less then other areas then they deserve a raise.

34catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Traveler....Mahoning CSB workers do make substantially lower than other areas. Summit County starts at around $40,000 and Trumbull County starts at $31,000. Starting salary at Mahoning County CSB is $29,000.

I am in favor of CSB getting the raises they deserve. Social Work is one of the most heart breaking and toughest occupations that I know. It takes a special person to be able to investigate sexual and physical abuse as well as neglect and still stay sane.

To all the CSB workers out there-I thank you for all the hard work that you are doing. You all are angels of God. God Bless You!!

35SeektheTruth(2 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I will be honest, initially i was kind of really ticked off by the thought of these employees getting a raise, but it seems like there is wayyyy more than meets the eye here, and I must say it seems like someone is trying to benefit from this publicity against the csb employees unfairly....typical...

36coupie(21 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

330-740-2130

PLEASE CALL YOUR COUNTY COMMISSIONERS IN SUPPORT OF THE CSB WORKERS. DO NOT LET THE ANTI-GOVERNMENT, NON-TRUTH TELLERS WHO HAVE THEIR OWN AGENDA GET THE BEST OF YOU!

37coupie(21 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

330-740-2130

38jussy76(6 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

could someone please tell me why children and dogs are being discussed in the same article??? WTF??? get your priorities together!

39proyo4u(1 comment)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

i'm starting to think i smell a rat here. i don't normally post, but if what the above posts say is true, why is all this attention being paid to csb? i really don't recall seeing other county positions getting raises and all this publicity, so why now? i'm sure it's public record and can be brought to light if so..i've alway voted for csb levies and still stand by them. i could not imagine what they have to face, so something isn't adding up here??

40catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Proyo41 and Seekthetruth...I hear you loud and clear. I would like some answers by the commissioners and the Vindicator why CSB getting a raise is so publicized. I hear there is going to be a meeting between CSB and the Commissioners so CSB can report on their budget. I wonder if the Commissioners called for a "special" meeting when other county agencies received their raises this past year. I am calling the Commissioners office on Monday in support of CSB getting their raises...I am also calling the Vindicator and I would encourage everyone else to.

41UWS(5 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

How many people out there would want to have their hearts broken on a daily basis? Thier jobs are helping our county by addressing issues no one else in the community wants to. Anyone not in favor of trying to take care of these workers should be ashamed....

42ytowner2010(7 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

It's also interesting that CSB pays for a county prosecutor, deputies' time, and other "general fund" expenses that Ohio law says should be provided to them by those other county departments. Maybe that's what's unconscionable?

43ytown_kills_me(64 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

the crumbling of America...see noone can stay on top forever...just look at the history of dynasties....and now we are living the demise of this GREAT country of ours all over GREED !!!

44atsgang(1 comment)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

As a tax payer I feel it is my duty to be informed of the issues and levies before I cast my ballot so that I vote as an informed citizen. As a social worker and an employee of the tax payers of Mahoning County, I feel accountable to you to perform my job to the best of my abilities. In other words, to bring my A game to the children and families I serve. What I ask in return is that the citizens of Mahoning County understand the ins and outs of our job on any given day. Our job is very dangerous and we are forced to make decisions on a daily basis that are difficult and have long lasting effects. We accept this as a part of our jobs and do not whine about it. We are privileged to see families overcome problems such as addiction, poverty, illness, divorce, domestic violence, etc. We are there to comfort and care for children when their family has harmed them in ways that no child should be harmed. We leave our own children in the middle of the night and during holidays to respond to calls of neglect and abuse. We do this with a humble heart because it is the right thing to do and because we care. We have tremendous professionals working in Mahoning County as police officers, nurses, attorneys, doctors, probation officers, magistrates/judges with whom we work collabortively to ensure the safety of our children and to give them a future.

45disgustedjoker(48 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey people, please get your facts straight before you come on a public forum and embarrass yourself. Sanitary Engineers have not gotten a raise, they are currently in contract negotiations and are under an extension with no raise right now. Like CSB, they too do not draw from general fund! Difference is, they did not put a levy on the ballot and then hand out raises. You have to admit, timing sucks!!!!

46timOthy(802 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Work for 30% less! And you'll still be over paid!

47catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Someone please tell me if Traficanti is a Mahoing County Commissioner and if he gets paid from Mahoning County? What is his pay? Has he had a raise in the last 3 years or has he been working with his pay frozen like the CSB workers? I really would like the answers to these questions because if he is paid by the County he is considered a public servant and he must be paid a very nice salary to drive an Escalade not to mention it being a gas gusler. How unconscionable is that? In this economy? By the way folks the majority of foreclosures where caused because the folks couldn't afford the homes in the first place and Fanny and Freddy gave them loans anyway.

By the way I just got back from Atlantic City and guess who I saw there? Traficanti. He didn't ride to the airport on the bus with the rest of us peons he rode in a stretch limo. Must be nice on a commissioner's salary. I believe it is a part-time position. I bet he's paid more than the full-time CSB workers.

Bye bye Ludt and you can bet my vote won't be with Traficanti when he's up for election so enjoy all your perks now and drive that Escalade and take those limos to the airport and keep on a thinking it unconscionable to give those underpaid social workers a raise. Before you open your big trap maybe you should get in a car and ride around with one of those CSB workers and see what a day in hades is like.

48ytowner2010(7 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I think they make about $70K. Generally they have another job too, as the Commissioner position is part time.

49catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Thanks ytowner now that's what I call unconscionable. How dare he even make any remark about those social workers raise when he makes a salary like that and at a part-time position.

I would like him to work ONE day with those social workers before he makes any decisions about their raise.

Let's make one thing clear that levy was a renewal not a new levy and those workers were promised that raise 3 years ago. They have been working with as pay freeze. They were told they would get it now they are reniging on their promises.

So Traficanti ride in your gas gussler and take those limos to the airport. Shame on you. DON'T VOTE FOR TRAFICANTI!!

50catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

DON'T VOTE FOR TRAFICANTI. GIVE HIM THE BOOT LIKE LUDT!

51catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

HIOW ABOUT IT TRAFICANTI. ARE YOU IN FOR DAY WITH A CSB WORKER OR ARE YOU AFRAID TO GO? AFTER ALL, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THE REAL WORLD.

52BROWNSBABY(12 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I must say, I'm not really that invested either way into whether these workers get a raise, but I feel like in all fairness, The Vindicator should do an article and publish what county employees have gotten raises in the last year. It's public record, that way people can be informed.

On the other hand, this article is entertaining. Traficanti, you actually rode to the Youngstown Airport in a stretch limo? I know that's where they flew out of, my aunt just went on that trip this past weekend, but who do you think you are, some sort of a celebrity or something? I mean really, what a douchebag. Only idiots on their own jock would ride to the Youngstown airport in a limo.

53BROWNSBABY(12 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

It's not like there's paparazzi waiting there to take your pic Tony Soprano..

54catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Way to go Brownsbaby!

Hey Traf did you win big at 3 card poker? If you did, maybe you could give some back to the county so they can pay their social workers better.

Actually you should only take $1.00 per year that way then you could honestly say it was unconscionable to give the CSB workers a raise. Instead you sit on your fat @ and collect $70K for a part-time job.

55catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Tony "Soprano" Traficanti. LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!

56ytown1(395 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Catlover + Caforo sitting in a tree, KISSING

Now there is a Tony" Soprano" wanna be, LOL! LOL! LOL!

Be careful Catlover, you are bordering on slander unless you can prove those statements, hearsay does not count.

And transportation can be comped by the casino if you are betting enough? So don't assume anything, you know what that makes?

57BROWNSBABY(12 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

assuming makes an A-hole, but what does me and my kodak with tony soprano wannabe get him?? lmao from the limo, airport, to the tables in Atlantic City, he's the tony soprano WANNABE

58BROWNSBABY(12 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

yeah, my aunt just gave me the pics...a fat a-hole acting like he's out for the community while he's living it up on their $$$ on a part time $70,000 job...douchebag...

59ytown1(395 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Ever here of flicker or does a lawsuit scare the HeII out of you? If not Post them on flicker. Slander is a serious offense.

Unless you buy into the crap that Cafaro is trying to spread?

What you fail to realize is that he is also a businessman, who also makes other income than his commissioner part time job, and he can spend that money how ever he wishes. And that includes spending it on a Limo instead of riding in a stinking bus with the likes of your aunt that probably would only harass him anyway. See that Har-ass thing comes up again, and it is on you.

Hey Browns "baby", Grow up! LOL!

60BROWNSBABY(12 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps you should look up the definition of slander. Pointing out what a person was witnessed by an entire busload of people doing on a given day would not qualify as slander, and if he should happen to be in the background of some of their pictures, so what.. I'm not saying Anthony isn't independently wealthy from ventures other than being a commissioner, but he does still make a significant salary on taxpayer money so it's not really a good look for him to be downing other county workers while he's rolling around like big papa...

61Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Ytown1..you seem to know alot about Traficanti. Maybe he needs the phone number for Gamblers anonymous since you yourself said that the hotels comp you with transportation depending upon how much you bet. Just saying....

62catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Ytown I got nothing to fear the fat @ was there in AC and he was gambling a lot of money at the table but he said in this economy it is unconscionable to give the CBS workers a lowly 3% raise he spent more than that and you better back up what you say. What Mahoning County Commissioner deserves $70k for a part-time job it's unconscionable it borders on the workers in Bell CA. I bet you're getting your pay check for Tony "Soprano" Traficanti that's why you're so hot for him. Maybe you're kissing him. Humm I wonder where that may be?

63catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Blah, blah, blah. Ytown1 why don't you ask your boyfriend Traf where he was last weekend if you don't believe me? Don't have to have pic or anything else because he knows where he was and he'd NEVER bring a law suit so shut your pie hole. He knows where he was and he knows he rode in a limo so don't threaten me. It's unconscionable that he would live it up and act like a big wig. He's the reason the taxpayers are disgusted they have to pay $70k for a part-time job and he complains about an AVERAGE pay that that CSB makes. Do you know what AVERAGE means?

Why don't you CSB workers plan a trip to Atlantic City and make sure you take a limo from the airport to the casino. Maybe you'll be comped but I doubt that on your average $32,000 a year. Now maybe if you earned $70k for a part-time job you could get another job. Oh yeah then you could get comped. It takes a lot of spending to get comped to ride in limos but who cares it's from the Mahoning County taxpayers money he's using.

Now I know why everytime I call for those commissioners they are never there. Must be nice.

64candystriper(575 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

will he/she post this information until notified that it is a Fat Tony intellectual property item and that usage thereof deprives said Fat Tony of revenue, transportation or appearances?

Help me, help you, show me the money.

65BROWNSBABY(12 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

sanitary engineers did get a raise, if it wasn't you, sorry about your luck, pull your public records...

66BROWNSBABY(12 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

or if you didn't get it, you will have it within the next month with traficanti and the commissoners "permission."

67meatballfromboardman(5 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

Traficanti worked two jobs before comming County Commissioner,maybe some of you should go find another job on the side and you to can have perks. Catlover your Aunt must be well of to go to Atlantic City. I know that Anthony parents go alot to AC.So quite whinning like a little brat. This posting was about CSB workers getting a raise not about a trip to Atlantic City. In all of this where was the third commissioner .And for all you people call him names need to GROW UP shame on all of you.

68unhappyvoter1(87 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

I really feel for the csb workers, but this really is not the time for a raise. The next levy will only go down and then you will have pay cuts and lay-off's. Unemployment sucks, I know, I'm a county worker on it. I have no hospitalization either. Try to hang in there and by the grace of God things may get better and everyone will feel different about your raise. good luck

69Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

Falconeddy... Please make sure you do your homework before you post. #1 Trumbull and
Stark county Csb's do pay more than mahoning county. #2 Csb does not provide their employees with county cars, they have to drive their own vehicles and #3. Very funny....county credit card...you have got to be kidding me. You are totally out of touch and obviously do not have a clue what you are talking about. Csb would like to retain their caseworkers who are more than qualified and educated to provide quality care to the children of mahoning county. Falcon... Go apply at Csb, get hired and then post on here. I would love to hear what you have to say then.

70coupie(21 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

falcon eddy. you are honestly making me feel better here. i think that overwhelmingly most people posting on here are bitter, clueless, and just feel like they are speaking for the whole when they are the minority. most voters are not even posing on here b/c they have better things to do. they know what's up and will continue to support thier public employees. csb workers w/ a county credit card?? omg that is freakin hilarious and just further proving csb workers that they are justified in their raises that was promised years ago. seriously, i beg of you to research this topic before you post...

© 2015 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.