Crime fails to shake Glen residents’ resolve

Published: Fri, November 19, 2010 @ 12:09 a.m.

By Ashley Luthern

aluthern@vindy.com

BOARDMAN

Robert Pesa has a message for the 14-year-old boy who held a gun to his head in April: “I’m not moving.”

On April 13, the 73-year-old and his wife, Gay, were walking their two dogs on Newport Drive when they noticed two teens approaching them. The Pesas live in the northern part of the township known as the Glen.

“He stuck a gun in my face, touching my forehead, and then he moved it up my head,” Pesa said. “I thought, ‘This is it.’”

But for some reason, the boy didn’t shoot. Pesa screamed at the boy, who turned and ran. Boardman police arrested a juvenile May 11 on charges of aggravated menacing in connection with the incident.

At a Nov. 8 hearing, the juvenile entered a plea of admission to the crime — but there was no gun specification on his charge, said juvenile court officials.

Assistant county prosecutor Anissa Modarelli declined to comment because it’s an ongoing case.

A sentence is pending a disposition hearing, said juvenile court officials.

The 14-year-old has been put under a no-contact order, meaning he must stay away from the Pesas and cannot be on their block.

This isn’t entirely satisfying to Pesa.

“I don’t want him in jail, I don’t want to ruin his life, but I’d feel better if he was restrained from the entire Glen” indefinitely, he said.

Pesa’s definition of the entire Glen is the area bordered by Shields Road, Midlothian Boulevard, Market Street and Glenwood Avenue. The teen who was arrested lives on Glenwood.

Residents of the neighborhood where the crime occurred have become closer and more proactive, said Lynn Kirkwood, vice president of the Forest Glen Homeowners’ Association.

Association members “are constantly talking about how to keep the neighborhood safe,” Kirkwood said, adding that an increased police presence helped.

One suggestion from association president Susan Sweeney is for residents to drive on a few extra streets in the neighborhood on their way home from work.

“If you’re coming home after dark, since you’re out anyway, drive up and down some of the streets,” Kirkwood said. “So it costs an extra four and five minutes, it’s a little something we can do to protect our neighborhood. I’m happy here, and I’m not going anywhere.”

Kirtwood said a couple of homes are for sale in her neighborhood, but many of the people selling are leaving for reasons unrelated to the April crime.

“I don’t know of anyone who has put their house on the market, sincerely, because of the quote-unquote trouble that we had,” she said. “They understand that this is going to happen, sometimes, in every neighborhood.”

That is something Pesa noted, too.

“The Glen was, and still is, one of the premier places to live,” he said. “This happens every day in every place.”

Vince Bevacqua, an association member, said the sale of homes in the neighborhood is “generational.”

“We didn’t have a mass exodus,” he said. “...I bought my home because it had an older homeowner and one day when it’s too much for us, another young family will buy it. That’s typically what happens in the Glen.”

Bevacqua described life in the Glen as quiet.

“There’s been nothing for months now, and we’re back to normal,” he said. “We’re not going to forget about it, and we’re always going to be aware and do what we can to keep it safe.”

Comments

1seminole(476 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Extra police? Hee hee, they can't even do what they are normally supposed to do. And quiet? Ask Vince B how that quiet sounds while he's blasting off fireworks in the street in front of his house. Yep, it's all about how Boardman looks, not how it really is. And why don't we all just drive around another four or five minutes on our way home? Would those be the same jacka--es that speed down my street on their way home? I'd rather not have them doing any more laps since they can't seem to read the speed limit signs in their own neighborhood. And the only reason their isn't a mass exodus out of this outhouse is because you can't sell your house since the ghetto has moved in to the area. Thanks to all the landlords that have rented out to welfare and section 8, we now have the criminals living in the Glen,. They can walk from their dwellings and exact their crimes without having to travel to do them. Take off the rose colored glasses, KIrkwood, Sweeney and Vince. If you really looked around you would see it. Stop excusing it, step up and confront some of this trash that is creeping in.

2author50(1121 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Who would ever think that an area as beautiful as the Glenn would turn into a buffer zone between Youngstown and the rest of Boardman... but it has and I expect it to be putting up gated fences in the near future to salvage a future, because Vince - not many young families are looking to move into the Glenn with their children.

3NoBS(1959 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Pesa says he doesn't want the teenage thug who threatened his life to be in jail. Mr. Pesa - are you nuts?? Are you actually saying you don't want him punished? You don't want him to have the message reinforced that his actions are unacceptable in civilized society?

Pesa also says he doesn't want to ruin the thug's life. Too late - this wasn't the first time that juvenile delinquent got himself in trouble. Robbery at gunpoint isn't a "first crime." But things he's done prior to this, nobody wanted to "ruin his life" and throw the book at him. Now, it's too late.

The people of The Glen are right to be on their toes - the cops catch the criminals, and before the paperwork is done the criminals are back on the street. Plea bargaining reduces the charges to something insignificant. In this case the thug wasn't even charged with a gun specification. Guess nobody in the courts wanted to "ruin his life."

4Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

A 14 year old wanna be thug robbing a 73 year old man, this little punk needs his butt whipped and thrown in jail being the animal that he is. He's only going to get worse.

“This happens every day in every place.”

Agree 100% with that comment. But shallow people think it's only Youngstown. What small minds they have.

5rclau31018(1 comment)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

I own and operate a private security guard firm here in the area. I have offered to come to a block meeting through a resident there and give my suggestions. I was never contacted.
I think that for a small fee per household we can put a roving patrol car equipped with a two way radio. The other radio would be with whoever was on the block watch for that time frame.
If anyone is interested in discussing this and other options, please call me at:
Remco Security
330-782-2111
Richard P Clautti, Owner

6TonyB(29 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Installing Time Bank Youth Courts in all the Valley's high schools would reduce youth crime.

A Time Bank Youth Court aims to involve community members of all ages in the process of applying restorative justice, addressing wrongs to the community, and helping young people succeed.

7m__dogg(12 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

While the city of Youngstown had some other issues along with increased crime which caused a mass migration to the suburbs, its ultimate demise was due to the fact that large portions of neighborhoods experienced a mass simultaneous exodus of its core residents. The old war tactic of divide and conquer holds true in the degradation of city neighborhoods. If we don't stand up together and fight for what we believe and appreciate, we will lose it. I feel confident and encouraged that if we continue to work together to seek solutions, we'll strengthen our great neigborhood. I'll be more than happy to employ my personal time and money to insure that goal is achieved. Thanks Vince, Susan and Mr. Pesa.

8wineywoman(78 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

I personally know of three homes that went on the market because of this incident, mine was one of them. I have always loved The Glen and hate to see it deteriorate. When those two cheaply built homes on the lower end of Overhill Rd. showed up, the signs were clear. Nobody seems to want to address the criminal element that seethes from those dilapidated apartments between Brookwood and Shields. In the past two years, I have seen swarms of up to twenty loud, disruptive young people wandering through the neighborhood from my home.The parade is on-going, especially in summer. The only way for The Glen to survive long term is to make it a gated community. The apartments that occupy the perimiters HAVE to be addressed, and if need be, purchased and demolished, or replaced with something expensive enough to keep the criminals out. I would love to see this area revived, too many people have huge investments in their properties to allow the thugs to take it over. I applaud Mr. Pesa for standing his ground, but unless corrective measures are taken, and soon, there will be a mass exodus.

91970mach1(1005 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Move out. Once thugs move in they destroy everything.

10Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

db2

"No, it doesn't happen everywhere."

Really? What planet you live on?

"My sleepy little town of East Palestine suits me just fine."

And this is just a quick search and not including the surrounding areas, Salem, Lisbon, Wellsville, etc......

Man charged in stabbing remains jailed

ELO woman dies from stab wound

Driver caught following chase, crash on bridge

Dead man’s check offered

Police seek man who robbed EP Eagles at knifepoint

No neighborhood,town,city,state is immune to crime.

11OhioAtty666(19 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Lots of luck selling any house in Boardman,, or anywhere else in Youngstown metro area in today's economy. I grew up in Forest Glen, and have lived there off and on for fifty years including the present time. It has always had problems with robberies because it has always been a place where affluent people live. E.g. in 1980 in broad daylight on a weekend afternoon a car occupied by black teenagers, stopped at my home on Overhill, a boy jumped out, grabbed my six year old son's Schwinn, and tried to throw it in the trunk. In 1965 my aunt came home to her house on Oak Knoll to find the kitchen door kicked in, and a white adult trying to cart Christmas presents away. In both cases, the criminals dropped their booty and escaped, and were never caught. And, if you live south of Matthews Road, a tip of my hat to the very funny radio ski "Tippy Wives," you're not immune. It was only a few months ago a drug dealer was shot in the 7400 block of Mill Creek Boulevard. Maybe the drug dealers are moving to south Boardman because they are afraid of break-ins, too.

12seminole(476 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

KIm, I see what happens to you on some of these threads for having your name out there...no thanks. The folks in this neighborhood know who I am. I have met and talked with the Pesa's. I live in the Glen and this has turned into a cut-through ghetto crawling zone because the police have never stepped up and addressed the simplest of issues, speed on Overhill. Why else would there be so much traffic? Because everyone knows the police DON'T nail people and they know they can fly through a lot faster than going down Glenwood to Midlothian, as the state study told the township the traffic is supposed to do. Overhill was never meant to be a cut through but the township has allowed it. So where do people break laws? Where they can, right? It's all simple to solve but the people in place do not want to enforce any ordinances and laws. I have said this time and time again, the police get paid ridiculous salaries and there is no accountability. NONE. So, along the same thought process as the law breakers, why do more, or whay even do what you have been sworn and employeed to do if no one is watching and holding you accountable?

13Stormieangel(136 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

I live 'out in the country' and it scares me to think that this mess is moving out of Youngstown and now is gaining hold in Boardman. Boardman is a nice community with great schools, but the ghetto is moving closer and closer. And I am not talking about the decent whites and blacks that have managed to move into a better place. I am talking about the arrogant creeps who can only find their place of acceptance in gangs and drugs. And the cops can't always stop them or if they do, the courts will plea bargain the charges down to a little slap on the hand. If this kid has been a problem in the past, you can bet your life (and that may be what it takes next to get him off the streets) he will continue to be a problem unless he can be shown that he ain't gonna terrorize people and just laugh it off. I say stop him now and chances are he will have to be stopped again as soon as the little creep gets out of jail. All I can hope is they stay there and never move to my neck of the woods because several decent folks DO have Right to Carry Concealed Weapon permits. I do and I would not hesitate to shoot if I felt it was necessary....unless it is just an innocent stray dog; he can get away with my heart.

14ytowner2010(7 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Why do we keep encouraging news articles about crime in the Glen. Each time one is printed I hear the sound of a giant sucking noise--our declining property values. Next time a reporter asks, say "no comment!"

15seminole(476 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Ytowner, the problem is they ask the people that don't want to acknowledge what is really going down, and none of the people they talk to put out any threatening message. We get "oh well, I'm not going to move" and "we need the police to help us", whaaa, whaaa. Just like Bellamy said, swift and rapid kicks in the ass will work. Folks need to stop talking and start doing. Patrol your street, be alert, make some noise, defend your own, The Boardman police will not and can not help, no sack, no accountability. Look the other way until it goes away. Solution? When one of these punks gets dinged with a bat and taken down by one of the citizens. Be proactive people. Look around, be aware, stop slinking into your homes when you see trash rolling through. No one is going to save you or your family from these hoods. Arm yourselves, have a plan, execute it, take action, stop sniveling in the corner and waiting for the police to miss everything. Handle it yourselves.

16jessica0707(1 comment)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

I lived on jeanette drive almost all my life. i am 29yrs old, i remember when i was younger being able to ride my bike anywhere in the area and not having to worry about crime. the community was so close then.. we used to have block partys for all of the children in the area including my friends on newport and chester. it seemed as if everyone new eachother. as time went by everyone in the neighborhood grew apart, alot of families moved. we finally moved in 2003 and before moving i had my car stolen twice, and our garage broken into, and the sound of gunshots going off everynight. they did build some cheap houses at the end of overhill that absolutely do not fit in with the beautiful historic houses around it. the glen is just not the same as it was when i was a child in the 80s and early 90s. it used to be a place where everybody knew your name. "if it would go back to how it was, ide pay anything to move back." i pray that things do not get any worse.

17Herbert687(1 comment)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey Lifes2Short,

No one disputes that every community has crime. But if you are trying to say that Youngstown has the same amount of crime as the suburbs, you are wrong. Even a brief look at crime stats will tell you that.

"SMALL MINDS" is just wrong.

I sincerely wish I could live in Youngstown. It has some of the most beautiful old houses in the region and they are very affordable. But the price is to live in a area with the worst crime rate, worst schools, and an inability to maintain home values.

18Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

herbert687

"No one disputes that every community has crime."

Believe me they do. People can't accept the fact that crime is everywhere, not just Youngstown. It's all over the world. There is no such thing as paradise as people seem to think there is.

"But if you are trying to say that Youngstown has the same amount of crime as the suburbs, you are wrong."

Never said that. Only letting people realize that it's not always "greener on the other side", as people seem to think. No matter where you escape, there will be crime, more in some places then others, but it's there, in every neighborhood, town, city, state, etc. Youngstown is not the only place that crime occurs. Read the daily papers from all of the country and especially the comments from residents of whoever thinks there city is paradise. And I'm not just talking about Y-town, I'm talking all over the USA.