bolt

Ursuline

RecordDiv.Conf.
4/6Div. VIndependents
Team

South Range

RecordDiv.Conf.
11/1Div. VIInter Tri-County League (Tier One)

By Chuck Housteau

sports@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Ursuline guard Mike Zappa stood on the turf at Stambaugh Stadium and looked around with the realization that he had just played his last game at Stambaugh Stadium.

Zappa was a member of an Irish senior class which had never lost a home game at Stambaugh (25-0) in their four years at Ursuline.

Almost as if on cue, Zappa snapped out of the trance and began to realize that this night wasn’t the end of something special but rather the beginning of Ursuline’s defense of back-to-back state titles.

The Irish (11-0) opened the post-season with a 55-22 win over Inter Tri-County League opponent South Range onSaturday night.

“I’m gonna miss playing here,” said Zappa. “Coach [Dan Reardon]pointed out that we’ve never lost a home game here but more importantly its exciting because there aren’t too many teams in the state of Ohio that have three-peated in state title games and tonight was the start of reaching that goal.”

Teammate Frank Dundee was just as proud of his class’s accomplishments but said that those numbers wouldn’t mean much without another ring.

“It’s sad but exciting that we finished out with a win,” Dundee said. “We took this South Range game very seriously because they were just another team that stood in the way of our goal of a state title.”

Ursuline shrugged off an opening punch by the Raiders (7-4) who scored on a 34-yard field goal by Ethan Witmer on the team’s first drive.

South Range recovered Ursuline’s onside kick attempt and drove down to the Irish 16 before kicking the field goal and grabbing a quick 3-0 lead.

After that it was all Ursuline.

“I think our kids did a nice job tonight,” said Reardon. “We were able to get a lot of young kids acclimated to playoff football in the second half.”

Ursuline’s Akise Teague displayed all of his skills, rushing for 144 yards on 13 carries and a touchdown all in the first half. The senior also caught three passes for 57 yards including a 29-yarder for a score with no time on the second-quarter clock.

Teague also intercepted a pass and returned a kickoff 47 yards as the Irish rolled up 461 yards of offense and 21 first downs.

South Range, to its credit, was able to move the ball on Ursuline at times.

“We threw everything at them that we could,” said South Range coach Dan Yeagley, “and moved the ball at times and put some points on the board.

“Ursuline is a well-coached team with great athletes but it was fun to go up against them at a great venue here.”

The Raiders rushed for 233 yards and threw for another 112. Phillip Arsuffi led South Range with 94 yards on 11 carries while Floyd Kenney added 67 on 18.

Latest player and team supporters

Comments

(2 comments)

Good job Ursuline? It is too bad your players and fans lack any class. I thought Catholic schools were supposed to teach morals and values.

(6 comments)

Amen to that. They seem to think it is good sportsmanship and great when they put players out of they game and send them to the hospital, one with a concusion! not once did I see their fans , the tem and or coaches acknowdelge that the player that had just been injured by a helmet to helmet hit or a hit in the back when he got up and was able to walk off the field with help although he had to be helped off. If that is the only way the can win I feel sorry for them, of coarse they only play the way they are taught.

(1094 comments)

Listen, the arguments between the fights began when a SR fan was chirping that we recruit. So like any other team's fan would do, we fought the accusation tooth and nail and before you knew it, the fan bases were going at it.

I hope the SR fans realize they couldn't even beat United or Crestview this year, who each lost in the playoffs last night. For them to think they stood any chance of knocking off the #1 team in D5 is just not realistic. However I do think they outplayed the Irish in the 1st quarter.

(1 comment)

I attended last nights game and witnessed each hit that resulted in a South Range player leaving the game. I am not quite sure what jdrn94 and barefoot witnessed. First and foremost none of the hits resulted in penalties. Unfortunately boys were injured. Boys who chose to play a sport that injuries are commonplace. I am certain that if any of the injured players had an opportunity to throw a good hard block or make a strong tackle they would have done so. Secondly, I am pretty sure if the NFL had not brought the Helmet to Helmet controversy to light this year, no one would be talking about it or even know what it was but, I am 100% certain it is not taught. What kind of acknowledgement was jdrn94 looking for? All fans applauded the boys when they left the field and the Ursuline doctor was aiding the Range trainers. It is difficult to lose and even more difficult when you are grossly outmatched. I guess the only recourse for the Raider faithful is to cry recruiting and foul play. Good Luck Irish!!!

(2 comments)

First of all I did not "cry" recruiting that is something parochial schools do and is no secret. Next I did not go "expecting" the Raiders to win. What I was expecting was was a disciplined and classy championship football team in the Irish. Those aspects of the team are clearly lacking. Football is a hard hitting sport anyone not aware of that should not be playing, but blindside hits 40 yards from the play are a little excessive. South Range was outscored but not outclassed.

(3 comments)

As an Ursuline grad, I am trully amazed by the accusations that all private schools recruit and it it used to bother me, but not anymore because I realize its just an excuse people thow out to explain why their teams got beat. I went to Ursuline my whole four years of high school and won a State Championship, I played my freshman year as well as my junior and senior years. Throughout those years, while playing football or not my tuition, never changed, my single parent mom payed the same price as every other student I know; I can also say the same thing for my two cousins and my two sisters who attended there as well as my younger brother who is a student there currently. Now I will say that I had to take on odd jobs after school such as empty trash cans after school and other minor chores of that nature, but other kids did that as well who were not playing sports, but simply needed assistance to afford Ursulines tuition. Recruiting implies taking a student from a school zone other than the one he is in and allowing him to attend while recieving benefits, if thats the case you must be talking about all the schools like Fitch, Boardman and Poland who always have open enrollment to help boost their athletic department by enrolling kids from inner- city school, now thats is the true crime of recruiting. Why would a kid who as been in youngstown city school his or her whole life just want to one day go to a suburb and attend school in Austintown or Poland where they dont know anyone, just to be picked on and outcasted. When I went to Ursuline I knew a lot of kids from elementary and middle school so I felt very comfortable. Of course I was probably supposed to go to Chaney or East High Schools, but my mom choose to pay the money and send me to Ursuline, and how can anyone blame her, what parenet would actually want their kids going to Chaney or East, especially if your child has a chance to play sports at the next level. I know not all parents would be able to do that but thats just life, some can do and others can't, so everyone need to stop complaining and deal with it.

(96 comments)

*yawn*

The University of Ursuline is exempt from sportsmanship.

(3 comments)

@ Barefoot
How about you get some facts first before you just jump on the bandwagon and say all parochial schools recruit, just because your team got beat by one.

(94 comments)

@jpeg214.....how about YOU get your facts straight about which schools have open enrollment and why, your clueless! Maybe you didn't get recruited for some reason, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I happen to know someone personally that was recruited by Ursuline and has a whole different persective about it all, so don't assume!!!!! And the fact that UHS is in div.V is a total joke....have fun beating up on those small schools.

(789 comments)

big bad U of Ursuline dominating on the little podunk schools and calling themselves state champs. laughable.

(123 comments)

Can anyone tell me what schools in Ohio have ever been penalized for "recruiting"? Not Ursuline or Mooney, that's for sure. These kids play hard, and should be congratulated for what they have accomplished. The only lack of sportsmanship I have seen at Ursuline games is from the Ursuline fans. (A small minority of jerks seem to always sit by me.)
Excellent point on the open enrollment. If that doesn't lend itself to recruiting, I don't know what does. My parents struggled to send six kids through Mooney because they believed in a parochial education. They paid every penny except for scholarships that were EARNED through academics. I have never heard any first-person account of anyone being recruited or having their tuition paid or waived because of sports. If there was one shred of evidence that it ever happened, believe me, it would be all over the paper and news. Is it possible that Mooney and Ursuline are consistently on top because these kids are dedicated to their schools and football programs? Both schools have huge followings and awesome school spirit. The parents are involved and dedicated to the kids. Look in the stands at most city school games, the crowd is much smaller on the average than parochial schools, even though the city schools have WAY higher enrollment. Where are the parents? Where are the students? Are the small crowds a result of the teams not being that great, or are the teams not as good because of the apathy of their school communities? Is this why parents send their kids to parochial schools, because of the small community and huge support? If I lived in the city, I know I would! Go IRISH, Go CARDS.

(789 comments)

its simple. get your own division. a private school in the city who can get any players they want have no business playing teams from north lima. its a joke.

(123 comments)

The divisions are decided by enrollment, not location. It IS a joke that division 1 schools can't beat these little guys. At least you can beat them in band!

(16 comments)

Some of the athletes are on reduced or full aid, I know for a fact one player's mother cannot afford to pay due to the fact she doesn't work. The recruiting is a moot point due to the age and success of the programs. Sure their "friends of the programs"go out and talk to city kids in junior high. But with the overall success of the programs are the biggest recruiting tool. If Chaney or East was winning state championships in football, the kids would go there. But the turnover of coaching staff at public schools and the stacking of athletes at the two parochial schools that are playing in Divisions well below their talent level hollows their accomplishments. Beating up on kids from small rural communities that may appear in the playoffs sporadically. The championships I recognize are the ones Mooney won when they were a Division I participant. That was an accomplishment what is going on now is blasphemous and hollow. Most public schools athletic participants reflect the overall population of the school, I'll leave the rest to one's imagination.

(6 comments)

Parochial schools such as UHC, MHS , or any other priv. shool playing in in regular div. is like two people playing cards. If one is dealt all aces, and face cards and the other one plays with is left in the deck who will win. Parochial and priv. schools should have their div. to play in. Whats to stop a parochial or priv school from stopping their "recruitment" or accepting students to keep enrollment down so they can play in a lower div.??

(5 comments)

Those writing the negative comments about Ursuline are either poor loser or totally clueless. I'm thinking the latter of the 2.
1. as stated by another if they "recruited" they'd be investigated. My son is on this 2010 team and I'm here to tell ya my bank account isn't getting any fatter
2. Look at UHS's schedule this year and see who they beat (handily I might add). An undeafeted season playing D 2 and D3 schools. Not from the Youngstown area either.
3. Not UHS's decision to be D5. The brilliant comment of keeping enrollment down to be D5 shows you're clueless. Um....turn away tuition revenue just so they can play South Range in the playoffs. OK genius!!
4. Football is a contact sport. If you can't take it you shouldn't play. (play golf) Thank you Irish Bill for the NFL controversy comment, well said. Maybe if other schools were coaching to play with intensity also these margins of victory wouldn't be so large.
5. Are these Mooney fans writing this stuff?
6. Lacking class? Again clueless and not worth commenting on because I have class!

Lastly, congratulations to UHS's success to this point. I have watched this teams progression since June. Hard work, dedication, team unity and self respect is CLASS and something the UHS family should be proud of.

(3 comments)

@irishmike
Great points, especially about schools rejecting potential students just to keep their enrollment down so they can dominate the lower divisions. That is honestly one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, and if anyone actually believes that then they are living in a fantasy world and need help immediately because nobody turns down money. Ursuline doesn't have a choice when it comes to their division, I'm pretty sure they would move up if they could if not why would they continue to schedule teams from higher divisions.

(246 comments)

Irishmike 2000 grad of UHS here. They just hate us because we win. UHS would never ever ever ever turn down money trust Mike on that one. So proud of this team our kids hit hard and play the game the right way. I use to get mad when they would say we recruit but the truth is in the State titles in so many other sports. A lot of hard working parents want there kids to get a great education and be apart of the UHS tradition. Go Irish lets make it 3 in a row.

(96 comments)

Ok I posted this once before but some people are too stupid to understand it.....
@ steelhead -"Excellent point on the open enrollment. If that doesn't lend itself to recruiting..."it doesn't because it is as it says OPEN,,,no tuition to be paid.

@ whoa21- what do you think these "friends of the program" do....if you think for one second it is only to tell them how great the school is and how great the atheletic program is then you are the one who is truly laughable.

The solution is as jrolley 325 put it, have a parochial division and a public division. One reason it will never happen is because The University of Mooney and the University of Ursuline will have to compete with other recruiting parochial schools and they will not be able to beat up on schools as South Range.

Thank you for your time.

(19 comments)

In reading all of the whining comments here, "the Universities of Mooney and Ursuline." etc. That's a riot!! Do these schools recruit? I don't know how you define "recruit", but if your school whichever it its, doesn't let kids know what kind of school, both from an athletic and academic standpoint, you have, that's your mistake. I didn't go to either of these "universities," I went to a Youngstown city school, but I know our coach called kids to tell them he was building a good program, and he did just that. Maybe your school doesn't really have anything to talk up, if so, I feel bad for you, but don't talk about things you know nothing about. Also, If your school plays nothing but Div V and VI schools, you can expect the same thing any year you make it into the play-offs. At the semi- and final games, you'll see teams from other parts of the state in this division with talent just like you saw Sat. night. You should check out a school's schedule before you start hammering your keyboard and reveal your ignorance- Mooney played either Cleve. St. Ignatius or Lakewood St. Ed's this year, and Ursuline played Mentor Lake Catholic - for those of you that are ignorant - those are perennial Div I and II powerhouses. I remember when Ursuline played a 2 year series with Cinci. Moeller a few years ago, Moeller wouldn't even consider renewing that contract (they split that series 1-1). They BOTH schedule as many Div I and II schools as they can get on their schedule every year, that's how you prepare for the play-offs. And, please don't complain that they hit too hard, that's football, always has been and always will be. Take note that there were no cheapshot penakties. And to the "fan" that started the ruckus with the "You recruit!" shouts, please try to pretend you're a man and at least own up to the fact that YOU started that fight, not the Ursuline fans. And lastly, possibly the most foolish comment - about keeping enrollment down - both of those "universities" do everything they can to increase enrollment. But I do know one of them dismissed an all-state student/athlete from the team recently because that kid wasn't keeping up the "student" part of the bargain!

(6 comments)

to irishmike.
Sure football is a contact sport, I know that but explan to me how a team can play 10 games witout any of the players having to leave the game and needing to go to the hospital and yet they play in one game and 3 players get injured in such a way they have to leave they game and go to the hospital, one with a concusion ??????? I don't think it's because they had not been hit hard before, I think it was HOW they were hit. And if I'm not mistaken three Mooney players were also injured and had to go to hospital.

(1094 comments)

Once again, the likes of Crestview, United, and South Range would never stand a chance to win the Division 5 state title. Hell ALL three lost in Week 1 so can you guys just give it up already.

Kirtland would have stomped over all three of you as well.

Two years back Kirtland led Ursuline in the final minute of the game before Ursuline scored with under 50 seconds left to win it 18-16. My senior year we lost to another public school in Maria Stein Marion Local.

These programs, unlike the ones listed above, prepare to WIN these games. They don't make excuses like you whiners do.

Get over it. You lost and got lucky to make the playoffs.

(19 comments)

To jdrn94 : Please tell us- how were they hit? I know at least 1 of the Mooney players got hurt by a running back WHILE he was carrying the ball! Guess he ran too hard?!? If a def. player is standing in the hole, what is the RB supposed to do? Fall down? Run the other way? What?
Maybe those kids have been hit hard, just not that hard? Don't really know what you're trying to say. But, if you've got a point to make, say it.

User tools