Witness: Kids who assaulted homeless man are 'menace'

Published: Sun, November 7, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

By John W. GOODWIN JR.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

A witness to the beating and stoning of a homeless man on the city’s South Side said the juveniles accused of committing the act have been a menace to the neighborhood.

A 36-year-old Sherwood Avenue woman, who did not want to be identifiedw, said she came out of her home as she normally does to watch for her son, who was expected to be getting off the school bus just after 4 p.m. Thursday. What she saw from her porch was anything but normal.

“I went on the porch, and that’s when I saw that they were throwing rocks, kicking him and just picking on him,” the woman said. “He [the victim] doesn’t bother the neighborhood kids or anything. He sometimes does dances for the kids and things like that. I just don’t understand why they would do that.”

The woman said the 58-year-old homeless man often sleeps in an empty house that once was occupied by his mother. She said neighbors supply the man with food and try to look out for his general welfare.

Officers found the man sitting on the ground near a tree on Volney Road. There were no signs of injury to the man, but he was taken to St. Elizabeth Medical Center for observation and was released a short time later. He has not been seen back in the neighborhood since the attack by the juveniles, the witness said.

Police spoke to two of the juveniles, who admitted being present when two other juveniles beat the man.

The witness to the beating said the juveniles responsible live in a home on West LaClede Avenue and a home on Canfield Road.

She said it is not the first time the group of boys has caused trouble in the neighborhood. She said they have even threatened her children in the past.

“This is just ridiculous,” she said. “It’s a lot; it’s like they are a menace to the neighborhood, and something needs to be done.”

A man answering the phone at one of the homes where the boys are said to live said the family has no comment on the beating or the allegations of misdeeds. in the neighborhood.

Comments

1fcb(320 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

In a few years they will be the ones shooting and killing people.Until the parents take hold of these children and teach them to do the right thing ,they will just graduate to more and more serious crimes. The problem here is that the parents are the harden criminals now and will turn that title over to their children soon.

2Stormieangel(136 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

How manly these kids must feel to beat someone. They need to be taken off the streets and their parents/guardians need to be held totally responsible for them. Maybe punishing these kids now will stop them from becoming more of a menace to society as they grow older. Obviously, the home situation is failing them and the kids are failing themselves. Society does not need this kind of people. Their parents need to take control or else relinquish control to someone/some facility that can get these kids on the right track. Beating someone is not normal and it sure doesn't make them manly or superior just because they can gang up on another individual. I hope the police and the LEGAL (I cannot use the word JUSTICE) system will be effective in this situation.

3Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

"The woman said a group of boys ranging in age from 9 to 14 were taunting and beating a homeless man who is known to live in and around the neighborhood."

And once again the future of America shows it worth to society. These wanna be gangstas should be caged up like the animals they are.

41970mach1(1005 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

"I just don’t understand why they would do that.”

Because they are worthless thugs.

5gingerspice(115 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Solution..... let the homeless man do everything to these kids that they did to him. A child lives what he sees. Obvisously, there is abuse going on in their homes. If the parents were responsible, they would get together and make these kids wear a sign around their necks for a whole week in public stating"I ABUSED A HOMELESS MAN. PRAY FOR ME"!

6mrblue(975 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

The parents and these kids are all worthless and should be fined and locked up. The family has no comment-----maybe a fine and jail time will change their minds.

7onelance(2 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I live in that area and think I know this homeless man. He recently got of jail on a burglary charge. He is a crack addict. When he started being in the neighborhood again, my mother's lights disappeared out of the front yard. A few years ago when I used to come home at 2 or 3am, he would jump out in the middle of the street and flag me down. He has tried to sell me an air conditioner and a kids bike...at 3am. So, to those that don't know, don't comment unless you know the whole story.

8DAL(90 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

So that gives the kids a reason to throw stones at this man. I don't think so!!! Quit using excuses for these young thugs.
As said by the witness, these young kids have been terrirozing the neighborhood for awhile. There are alot elderly people that live in that area, so your excuse for these young thugs to terrorize someone else will be-there old and they won't be around much longer. People need to own up for there children actions and put a stop to it. If you know your child is doing something wrong(bullying, doing drugs/alcohol) put a stop to it. I rather have my child hate me, then have them be in jail!!!!

9southsidedave(4780 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Where are the parents of these children, and I use the word children only beacuse of their ages.

They certainly are not children, rather, they are the future criminals of our society.

10Joe306tow(49 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Time for some payback. Parents watch your 9 to 18 year old THUGS.

I hope a Gang of Homeless people rove that Hood and beat these little PUNKS and their idiot Parents Senseless. Oh, wait to late Both Punks and Parents don't have ANY sense to begin with. NEVER-MIND!

11Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

onelance

"So, to those that don't know, don't comment unless you know the whole story."

Here we go again, the KIDS are the victims, huh??? Thats part of the problem, fools sticking up for these punks! Back in the days they would get a huge a@!# whipping from there PARENTS, not excuses why they did it. Unreal.

12cjaznest1996(3 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I would like to point out a couple of things that all of the self proclaimed "experts" here seem to be missing.
Fact#1- The witness said when she came out on her porch, they were "throwing rocks, kicking him and just picking on him". What seems to be missing is the fact that nobody can say for sure what led up to this.
Fact#2- There were no signs of injury to the man....hmmm but this was such an atrocious and vicious attack??
Fact#3- The man supposedly never bothered the kids in the neighborhood? Is that a fact, or is it speculation based on the fact that he had never bothered her child/children.
I think it is apalling that based upon the statement of a "witness" who in this story makes it obvious she has an axe to grind with the children, so many adults are so quick to pass judgement on the kids or their families. Maybe before we say they are useless, thugs, or a lost cause, we should know the whole story. It is too easy to sit back and generalize about a society, or neighborhood, but if you are going to then maybe you should ask yourself what have you done to help make a change? By the way, I say this because I personally know one of the kids involved, and he has never been anything but respectful around my family. While I understand that everyone on here does not have that insight, we sure are quick to pass judgement on him yet relinquish the "homeless man" from the possibility that he may be the true "menace to society". Especially if he was recently prosecuted for burgulary? There is a productive member of society.....I thought he never bothered anyone? Makes that "witness" even more credible. Burgulary would sure constitute that to me.

13Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

cjaznest1996

"By the way, I say this because I personally know one of the kids involved, and he has never been anything but respectful around my family."

Here we go, the most common words known to mankind, when someone gets in trouble.

"It is too easy to sit back and generalize about a society, or neighborhood, but if you are going to then maybe you should ask yourself what have you done to help make a change? "

Been there done that and paid my dues to society and I talk to the youngsters at area schools and the jail. Kids have no RESPECT in society today when they start on the wrong path and have no parents to start them out on the right path. It's a way of life and it has to stop.

Bottom line, what reason to even start something! Do something productive instead of beating on homeless people.
Go play basketball or football, or study or go to church or volunteer for something. Be productive!

14genius_girl(20 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Whether or not the homeless man involved has a background or not does not excuse the behavior of these children. If the children felt threatened in any way, there next action determined which outcome we would be discussing now. Rather than walking away, they chose to beat and throw rocks at this man. At their ages, they are well aware of what right and wrong is. Stop making excuses for their inappropriate behavior. Holding them accountable is the key to their future. What will they learn if are given a simple slap on the wrist??

15Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

All of these homeless fellows are not harmless .

Campbell Girl Raped on Way to School

Last Update: 10/13/2009 5:08 pm

Police say a young girl was raped while walking to school.

A 54-year-old man is in Campbell jail charged with the kidnapping and rape of a 15-year-old girl. Police say Charles Hudson of Campbell approached the victim with a knife while she was on her way to school Monday morning. He then allegedly took her to an abandoned house on Gordon Street and sexually assaulted her.

16Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Stan

Charles Hudson wasn't homeless he lives on Reed Ave in Campbell.

Not all homeless and citizens are productive members of society, but to pick on a harmless homeless man (...who is known to live in and around the neighborhood) (“He [the victim] doesn’t bother the neighborhood kids or anything. He sometimes does dances for the kids and things like that) is just uncalled for. Pitiful.

17cjaznest1996(3 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

lifes2short

He sometimes does dances for the kids and things like that
the thing the witness forgot to mention in this statement is that he allegedly did this in hopes of getting money to presumably spend on narcotics, which by the way several people in the neighborhood have stated he was using.

Look, I am not trying to say if there was a crime involved it should go unpunished. What I am saying is it is not up to the court of public forum, nor the mainstream media (which if you listen to the witness account on the news, and then read it here in The Vindicator you will notice there are differences). Truthfully, at this point this is all speculation based upon the partial account of one witness, which based upon her own statement, had an axe to grind with one of the juveniles involved. I will pose this question to you, was the media notified because of this act, or was it an opportunity for this "witness" to exact some form of revenge for the prior problems she had with the juveniles?

18cjaznest1996(3 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

genius_girl

WOW!!! to have your life, and have never been in a situation where you had no choice but to fight.....
by the way, if that is what happened, why are we crucifying a child for defending himself against a 58 year old man? just a thought, since even the witness did not see the onset of the altercation.

19Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

cjaznest1996

""so by the statement paid my dues to society, if I am interpreting that correctly, you broke the law when you were younger, so what if your opinion was the opinion of the person/people who helped you rehabilitate?""

Actually I broke the law in my later years, actually I graduated college with a degree and worked in numerous government jobs, and drugs and alcohol got the better of me, did my prison term (CRC, North Coast Correctional and River City) and now helping out when I can. If these kids don't learn that violence is not the cure then there moving up the wrong path in life. There still young and already in the violence mode. That is not good.

""What I am saying is it is not up to the court of public forum, nor the mainstream media (which if you listen to the witness account on the news, and then read it here in The Vindicator you will notice there are differences).""

Just like the parlayed drug addict that got caught driving and claimed the police abused him and got 2 officers fired because of it. There are 2 sides to every story, but violence don't solve nothing. Not about he said she said, it's about the violence. That has to stop.

""I will pose this question to you, was the media notified because of this act, or was it an opportunity for this "witness" to exact some form of revenge for the prior problems she had with the juveniles?""

If that is what it takes to get these juveniles on the right path and maybe get there parent(s) involved then all the better.

20BusDriver(46 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully these kids will be charged with assault asap and get them off the streets and out the schools, and if these kids are allowed to return to their schools, as a parent I would be outraged, because if they will do this to an adult who knows what they would do to a kid. In my opinion, the parents of these kids should also be charged as well, start making parents accountable for their kids actions and maybe you wont find so many of them on the streets left to get into situations such as this. It really is sad what is happening to this generation of kids,